OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after listening this it definitely does give us a better idea as to Brian's personalty. I always thought that he could be sarcastic or a smart *advertiser censored* as his cousin puts it. That's one thing that Clint said that apparently rings true. Randy had mentioned in an interview Clint saying how Brian could pretty much speak his mind to anyone and at times and possibly get into an altercation.

I also find it odd that out of the 3 family members they talked to they all seem to think Brian is dead and maybe got into trouble somehow with the wrong people but at the same time they think Clint may know something. Lets say that Brian walked out of that building was walking down the street and mouthed off to the wrong guy or guys and was killed, how would Clint know anything about this ? Given that scenario I also have to wonder if someone did kill him I don't find it likely anyone is going to take the time to stick around too long let alone hide his body.

This is why I’ve been more and more of a believer in the theory of potentially some shady meeting/deal gone wrong happening in the construction site. This would be the simplest way for Clint to have knowledge of something he wants to hide without being directly responsible. The description of Brian’s personality in the podcast does make it seem like there’s a possibility he could have involved himself in some high risk behaviors.

This theory explains Brian’s disappearance, Clint’s silence, the dog tracing the scent out the door (ie possibly into a car), etc. It fits so well with so many details which is why it has now become my #2 theory behind an accident in the construction site (which still remains #1 IMO).

Just FYI, on the first anniversary of Brian's disappearance there was a ceremony held near the Tuna. Pretty much all of Brian's family was there and Alexis. There was one person who didn't attend. Actually I don't think Meredith attended either. So make that two people.

I don't blame him, half of the people in attendance probably thought he's responsible for his friends disappearance.

I don't blame him, half of the people in attendance probably thought he's responsible for his friends disappearance.

True and at that point I think he had already been asked. Also, Meredith had taken the test so she maybe could have showed up but didn't.

It's my understanding that Brian did not like her. On the night that they all went out Clint was the one who called her to meet them and Brian wasn't too happy about it. He had already told Clint that he didn't care for her. Makes you wonder if that is why Brian was "doing his thing" as Clint put it. Maybe he just didn't want to be around her.

There was also talk about Clint and Meredith changing their story on more than one occasion. I think this may be the reason the police wanted them to take a polygraph. Personally I don't buy the excuse that they were drinking so their memories aren't what they should be. We don't even know if Meredith was drinking at all.

Well after listening this it definitely does give us a better idea as to Brian's personalty. I always thought that he could be sarcastic or a smart *advertiser censored* as his cousin puts it. That's one thing that Clint said that apparently rings true. Randy had mentioned in an interview Clint saying how Brian could pretty much speak his mind to anyone and at times and possibly get into an altercation.

I also find it odd that out of the 3 family members they talked to they all seem to think Brian is dead and maybe got into trouble somehow with the wrong people but at the same time they think Clint may know something. Lets say that Brian walked out of that building was walking down the street and mouthed off to the wrong guy or guys and was killed, how would Clint know anything about this ? Given that scenario I also have to wonder if someone did kill him I don't find it likely anyone is going to take the time to stick around too long let alone hide his body.

I got the similar messages from the podcast,

Brian I think could be a character and a smart-mouth. A very independent, free-spirited kind of person. The podcast sees to the think that Brian could have mouthed off to the wrong people and that he likely died that night. A lot of us don't trust Clint, because it is believed that his mannerisms are odd concerning how one would react to a missing friend, but also that he never helped, at least to my knowledge, search for Brian.

Satch

Huh?! I assumed no such thing. I suppose the 'completely dug up areas' were eventually paved, but I have no idea when. Nor do I know what day or days the construction area was searched.

I find your comments baffling.

I want to apologize for my comment. Somewhere in my tired from editing and recording brain I added the word Monday in when reading your response. Again I apologize!!

I got the similar messages from the podcast,

Brian I think could be a character and a smart-mouth. A very independent, free-spirited kind of person. The podcast sees to the think that Brian could have mouthed off to the wrong people and that he likely died that night. A lot of us don't trust Clint, because it is believed that his mannerisms are odd concerning how one would react to a missing friend, but also that he never helped, at least to my knowledge, search for Brian.

Satch

From what we were told by several people is that Clint was involved in the search initially and even helped distribute flyers in the beginning. It is also my understanding Clint was very cooperative with the Police initially. It wasn’t until people began questioning his behavior and accusing him of knowing more that he got an attorney and was advised against the polygraph. Sergeant Hurst told us that Clint isn’t even a Peson of Interest and they haven’t spoke to Clint or his attorney in over a decade.

There was also talk about Clint and Meredith changing their story on more than one occasion. I think this may be the reason the police wanted them to take a polygraph. Personally I don't buy the excuse that they were drinking so their memories aren't what they should be. We don't even know if Meredith was drinking at all.

It was told to us by several people that Clint, Meredith , and Randy were asked to take a polygraph because they all were with Brian at some point in time on the day he disappeared. We were also told by Brightan that it is actually underplayed how drunk they ALL were.

From what we were told by several people is that Clint was involved in the search initially and even helped distribute flyers in the beginning. It is also my understanding Clint was very cooperative with the Police initially. It wasn’t until people began questioning his behavior and accusing him of knowing more that he got an attorney and was advised against the polygraph. Sergeant Hurst told us that Clint isn’t even a Peson of Interest and they haven’t spoke to Clint or his attorney in over a decade.

Yeah Clint did get involved initially with the search. He was at one point though I person of interest according to Det Hurst. If he isn’t anymore be nice to know what changed his mind.

It was told to us by several people that Clint, Meredith , and Randy were asked to take a polygraph because they all were with Brian at some point in time on the day he disappeared. We were also told by Brightan that it is actually underplayed how drunk they ALL were.

Wonder how much Brian could have drunk at the Tuna. He was only there 40 minutes and for the conversation outside he didnt have a drink in his hand. I’m sure no one was allowed drinks outside the bar anyway.

My understanding has always been that the phone started going straight to voicemail when Clint started calling (rather than it ringing and Brian just not answering). But I could see that being a detail that gets misreported.

It’s a critical detail, so I wonder if perhaps that could be cleared up with Det. Hurst in a future podcast?

Okay here is what I know about the phone....

Sometime around 1:55am when Brian was seen on camera speaking to Amber and Brightan his phone was on. I know this because Brian had Brightan put her number in his phone. When Clint and Meredith began looking for Brian when they were ready to leave they called his phone. It goes straight to voicemail and continues that until September of 2006 when it suddenly began ringing again before going to voicemail. That is when it pinged off of a tower in Hilliard. It is reported numerous times that his phone rang, but what is seldom reported is his phone rang for almost the whole weekend!! I could buy the glitch scenario that Cingular offered if it were one time, but not repeatedly for a couple of days.

Wonder how much Brian could have drunk at the Tuna. He was only there 40 minutes and for the conversation outside he didnt have a drink in his hand. I’m sure no one was allowed drinks outside the bar anyway.

What we have been told is that Clint stated they were doing shots at every bar they went to, drinking mostly hard liquor all night. Brightan said they were all really drunk. The girls had spent more time with Brian that evening other than what we see on camera. They had been drinking together for well over an hour.

Also, the one thing I have heard their story changed on is who Brian was actually going to speak to. I guess one time it was a girl, one time it was the band, and I believe the other was an employee. I have not confirmed this yet with Sergeant Hurst but it is on my list. But with knowing Meredith passed her polygraph they must have figured that out, because I’m assuming that’s a question they would’ve asked her.

Also, the one thing I have heard their story changed on is who Brian was actually going to speak to. I guess one time it was a girl, one time it was the band, and I believe the other was an employee. I have not confirmed this yet with Sergeant Hurst but it is on my list. But with knowing Meredith passed her polygraph they must have figured that out, because I’m assuming that’s a question they would’ve asked her.

Polygraph or not, I think we all realize that polygraphs aren’t the most reliable source. They can product a false positive OR a false negative, meaning that just because she said it under a polygraph and the needle didn’t jump, that doesn’t mean it is necessarily accurate or factual.

The more we hear about their level of drunkenness, the more I question the results of the polygraph. I’m not an expert, but I would think that if you truly believe in the things you’re saying, the needle probably isn’t going to jump. So if a story is confidently and calmly delivered, the polygraph would be passed, but it still warrants consideration that this was likely someone who was very drunk at the time who was trying to recall specific details—and it’s not hard to see how things could get mixed up.

What we have been told is that Clint stated they were doing shots at every bar they went to, drinking mostly hard liquor all night. Brightan said they were all really drunk. The girls had spent more time with Brian that evening other than what we see on camera. They had been drinking together for well over an hour.

For over an hour at the Tuna? How if Brian showed up at 1:15?

Sometime around 1:55am when Brian was seen on camera speaking to Amber and Brightan his phone was on. I know this because Brian had Brightan put her number in his phone. When Clint and Meredith began looking for Brian when they were ready to leave they called his phone. It goes straight to voicemail and continues that until September of 2006 when it suddenly began ringing again before going to voicemail. That is when it pinged off of a tower in Hilliard. It is reported numerous times that his phone rang, but what is seldom reported is his phone rang for almost the whole weekend!! I could buy the glitch scenario that Cingular offered if it were one time, but not repeatedly for a couple of days.

This is really helpful—thank you! That has always been my understanding too, but it’s good to get confirmation.

I agree that the fact that it rang all weekend makes it more suspicious. I understand glitches happen, but for it to happen again and again all weekend doesn’t seem to add up IMO.

The reason why I think it’s critical to know that the phone went straight to voicemail around 2:00am is because any proposed explanation should reconcile this detail with the details of the theory. We need to think about how the events of our proposed theories might line up with this important detail, and which theories most easily fit with this detail without making a ton of extra assumptions.

For example, if Brian had an accident, it would have needed to occur in such a way that his phone was either destroyed or not in service. Could a construction trench explain this? (Probably? But I don’t know for sure)

If it were turned off intentionally, then to me this fits with Brian walking away (which is unlikely for other reasons IMO) or perhaps the foul play perpetrator turning it off out of fear of tracking it. If you put a lot of stock in the ringing in September as evidence of it being turned back on, then this piece of information supports these theories, as either Brian or the perpetrator(s) maybe have temporarily turned it back on.

I feel like it going to voicemail so soon makes suicide far less likely. It seems very strange that he would make it a point to turn off his phone before committing suicide. And he wouldn’t have had time to reach the river by the time the phone stopped ringing.

Of course there’s also the possibility that the battery just so happened to die between 1:55 and ~2:00. That would be quite a coincidence, but it’s possible.

For over an hour at the Tuna? How if Brian showed up at 1:15?

I actually am waiting for a response for that myself! That came from what Brightan stated at the time of her phone call and we didn’t get around to asking her about it at the time.

This is really helpful—thank you! That has always been my understanding too, but it’s good to get confirmation.

I agree that the fact that it rang all weekend makes it more suspicious. I understand glitches happen, but for it to happen again and again all weekend doesn’t seem to add up IMO.

The reason why I think it’s critical to know that the phone went straight to voicemail around 2:00am is because any proposed explanation should reconcile this detail with the details of the theory. We need to think about how the events of our proposed theories might line up with this important detail, and which theories most easily fit with this detail without making a ton of extra assumptions.

For example, if Brian had an accident, it would have needed to occur in such a way that his phone was either destroyed or not in service. Could a construction trench explain this? (Probably? But I don’t know for sure)

If it were turned off intentionally, then to me this fits with Brian walking away (which is unlikely for other reasons IMO) or perhaps the foul play perpetrator turning it off out of fear of tracking it. If you put a lot of stock in the ringing in September as evidence of it being turned back on, then this piece of information supports these theories, as either Brian or the perpetrator(s) maybe have temporarily turned it back on.

I feel like it going to voicemail so soon makes suicide far less likely. It seems very strange that he would make it a point to turn off his phone before committing suicide. And he wouldn’t have had time to reach the river by the time the phone stopped ringing.

Of course there’s also the possibility that the battery just so happened to die between 1:55 and ~2:00. That would be quite a coincidence, but it’s possible.

Could be he turned phone off and then ditched it. It was found by someone who left it alone for a few months and then charged it, turned it on and discovered who's phone it was. Out of fear of being considered a suspect that person shut off phone again and dumped it.

Oh wow, I had not heard his phone rang all weekend, so now I don’t buy the glitch scenario either.

Thank you so much for the podcasts and this new information. I still have one question that I’m hoping can be answered at some point, that is regarding Randy and the PI believing that Brian is, or at least was then, alive . Many of us here have wondered what evidence they found that leads them to believe he could be alive. If you could answer this for us would be most appreciated.

Oh, also, have you ever tried or considered trying to interview the PI that worked for Randy? Apologies, but his name eludes me at the moment. TU

You wonder about Brian's phone,

Was he not picking up because he was avoiding Clint? Or was he not picking up because he was already trapped or dead someplace? Glad to hear that we are learning new information, and even MORE information is coming out in the new podcast episodes.

Satch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member