CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Deangelo can't be charged on the rapes, & the women murdered can't identify his penis, why would they want pictures of his penis?

They have his DNA, finger prints (which are worthless because he wore gloves), & I'm assuming if they pulled out lots of stolen souvenirs from his crimes that can be matched up, along with other evidence we don't know about, do they really need penis pictures? Lol!

Since Deangelo can't be charged on the rapes, & the women murdered can't identify his penis, why would they want pictures of his penis?

They have his DNA, finger prints (which are worthless because he wore gloves), & I'm assuming if they pulled out lots of stolen souvenirs from his crimes that can be matched up, along with other evidence we don't know about, do they really need penis pictures? Lol!

Maybe they just want to humiliate him?

Maybe they just want to humiliate him?

Yeah, I wouldn't put it past them.......especially the frustration he's cost to the cops/detectives for 40 years & finding out he was a cop, & the chaos he caused to the victims.

I'm only speculating but maybe other than size there is another identifying element? Pondering if i should google Michael Jackson's case...how does one put that in the search bar?? :thinking:

Wow. Fascinating new episode of the 12-26-75 podcast:

https://soundcloud.com/12-26-75/ep-16-sgt-joe-deangelo-exeter-pd

They have found dozens of crimes in Exeter that sound like JJD, from as far back as 1970.

Ransackings, hot prowl burglaries, the same doctor being targeted repeatedly. Thefts of rare coins and blue chip stamps. Clusters of burglaries on the same street. Removing screens and prying doors.

They specifically talk about how they looked at JJD a couple of years ago, but dismissed him due to his age and height.
GreyClay, could you quick summarize?

Wow. Fascinating new episode of the 12-26-75 podcast:

https://soundcloud.com/12-26-75/ep-16-sgt-joe-deangelo-exeter-pd

They have found dozens of crimes in Exeter that sound like JJD, from as far back as 1970.

Ransackings, hot prowl burglaries, the same doctor being targeted repeatedly. Thefts of rare coins and blue chip stamps. Clusters of burglaries on the same street. Removing screens and prying doors.

They specifically talk about how they looked at JJD a couple of years ago, but dismissed him due to his age and height.

Didn't know about Deangelo being looked at years ago, wow! I thought they stated he was never a suspect or POI.

It is all about trying to get him to realise that he has lost all the power he thought he once had.

Check out this quote from Richard Shelby:

‘EAR' STILL AT LARGE
70S RAPE CASES VEX RETIRING DETECTIVE

Sacramento Bee, 21 March 1993, pg. N8
By Wendy McClellan

The department released information intended to intimidate the rapist. They called him a coward and said his penis was deformed.

"We didn't know that," Shelby said. "We'd insult him any way we could."

JJD is the guy who almost had a nervous breakdown when he was being detained for shoplifting. He cannot stand to not be in control.

They are hoping that by making him release that he has lost all control - that they can literally order him to drop his pants and he will have to comply - that he will realise the hopeless situation he is in and finally give a full and frank confession.

MOO.

Didn't know about Deangelo being looked at years ago, wow! I thought they stated he was never a suspect or POI.

Sorry, poorly worded on my behalf.

I think I mean they were looking at all cops in the region and just as soon as they came across his photo and vital statistics (dark hair, 5'11'') they moved on.

They also mentioned in this episode that Detective McGowen (who was shot at by the VR and tried very hard to convince Sacramento detectives that the EAR was the VR) having handwritten notes reminding himself to check the photos of all of the new policemen in Exeter in 1971 - presumably to identify his shooter.

If only he had checked the 1973 photos!!

MOO.

A little girl who saw him during one of the rapes described (under hypnosis) that he had a bull tattoo on his right arm. She didn’t remember until hypnotized which has been discounted in the past 20 years as an effective tool.

Ty so much for such a quick and complete response!

This poor little girl... breaks my old heart...

I hate to admit that I hadn't been aware that hypnosis had been discounted as an effective tool for crime solving. (I was, however, aware that the "recovered memories" thingy had been discounted years ago... and rightly so imho.)

They may not be able to charge him for those rapes, but those victims can identify him further with that evidence, I'd imagine.

GreyClay, could you quick summarize?

Short summary:

By reading old newspaper articles and police reports they have found a large number of crimes that have many of the same MO features that would later be seen in VR and EAR crimes from 1970 onward.

Sorry, poorly worded on my behalf.

I think I mean they were looking at all cops in the region and just as soon as they came across his photo and vital statistics (dark hair, 5'11'') they moved on.

They also mentioned in this episode that Detective McGowan (who was shot at by the VR and tried very hard to convince Sacramento detectives that the EAR was the VR) having handwritten notes reminding himself to check the photos of all of the new policemen in Exeter in 1971 - presumably to identify his shooter.

If only he had checked the 1973 photos!!

MOO.
That incident occurred in 1971? I didn't know the crimes began that early although I have wondered if they began as soon as he returned from Vietnam.

It’s her job. It’s not absurd. It’s what defense attorneys do and without her doing her job, he then has grounds for years of appeals down the road. She knows it and the DA knows it.
exactly... She has a job to do, nothing personal, doesn't mean she likes the guy but she has a job to do and it would be career suicide to not do it properly.

Long summary:

This podcast started in April 2017. It was initially going to be about them suspecting that Oscar Clifton didn't murder a girl in Exeter named Donna Richmond (so kind of like season 1 of Serial)

As they researched the case they became convinced that Donna Richmond's killing was connected to Jennifer Armour's murder.

These murders took place at the same time and a very similar location to the Visalia Ransackings.

They eventually became 100% convinced that the VR was the EAR (he was)

The always said the clue to solving the VR case lay in Exeter - where JJD was working as a police officer.

Now they have found a whole bunch of new crimes that share many similarities to crimes that were later committed by JJD. They talk about how he deliberately seemed to act like a youth / teenager during his ransackings to throw police off his trail. They also talk about how they came across his name a couple of years ago, and noted that he left town very shortly after McGowen's shooting / the VR sketch was published.

But they freely admit they didn't research him any further because his hair seemed way too dark and his height of 5'11" just seemed too tall.

It is all about trying to get him to realise that he has lost all the power he thought he once had.

Check out this quote from Richard Shelby:

JJD is the guy who almost had a nervous breakdown when he was being detained for shoplifting. He cannot stand to not be in control.

They are hoping that by making him release that he has lost all control - that they can literally order him to drop his pants and he will have to comply - that he will realise the hopeless situation he is in and finally give a full and frank confession.

MOO.
I mentioned some time earlier that most serial killers I have read about have an escape plan and if that doesn't work they have a suicide plan, it is their last act of control. I have wondered if he really had a roast in the oven.

You don't think it's absurd to not extract DNA from a person who is being accused of multiple serious felonies? You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think it should be standard procedure.

:cow:
it's not absurd for the prosecutors to want it, nor is it absurd for the defense to try and quash it.... just wait until one of the big gun defense attys' decide to pro bono this case and the paperwork will really start to fly...lol

BBM - You're probably right, @ocgrad.

IIRC he served as a mechanic in the Navy so perhaps he was trained/certified by the Navy ??
That could be but several years had passed while he was in college and working in LE.

That incident occurred in 1971?

No, the McGowen shooting was on December 10th 1975 - but he suspected his attacker could have been around 25 years old, and it appears as though he might have thought that a policeman could have been responsible so he was looking at photos of policemen who joined the force in 1971.

Unfortunately JJD didn't join until 1973.

I didn't know the crimes began that early although I have wondered if they began as soon as he returned from Vietnam.

This podcast talks about lots of crimes that did happen in 1970 and 1971 that sound like they could have been EAR so you might be right that his crimes have been going on for much longer than people have suspected.

Ty so much for such a quick and complete response!

This poor little girl... breaks my old heart...

I hate to admit that I hadn't been aware that hypnosis had been discounted as an effective tool for crime solving. (I was, however, aware that the "recovered memories" thingy had been discounted years ago... and rightly so imho.)

You’re so welcome! I had heard and read up on him a couple of years back but just so happened to start reading a few of the books written about the case in the past few weeks which is why some of it is fresh in my mind. It was surreal to fall asleep reading about it last Tuesday and wake up the next morning to find that he was apprehended. What a great day for LE and the victims/families!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah