NH NH - Laura Kempton, 23, & Tammy Little, 20, Portsmouth, Sept 1981 & Oct 1982

The attorney general’s office and state police are asking for the public’s help in solving the killing of a hiker 10 years ago today.

Louise Chaput, 52, left her home in Quebec to go hiking in the White Mountains when she went missing on Nov. 15, 2001. Her body was found stabbed off a trail 10 days later on Thanksgiving.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/29831311/detail.html#ixzz1eSLvrkXX

I've never been able to give up on this one, so here's a little bump.

There has recently been some speculation that Laura and Tammy's killings fit the m/o of the east area rapist/original night stalker/golden state killer. This is speculation only, but still interesting. Laura and Tammy's murders fit into a known gap in the crimes of EAR/ONS/GSK. Given the coldness of the case, I'm hoping these links are ok. The youtube guy is a bit controversial among EAR/ONS/GSK followers, but I think, is worth a listen.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EARONS/comments/556bsr/possible_ear_crimes/d88xsv8/
[video=youtube;Y17tOh4hHlQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y17tOh4hHlQ[/video]
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Rapist-aka-The-Original-Night-Stalker-1976-86

rbbm
http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/20160925/police-revisiting-everything-in-unsolved-portsmouth-murders
“The advances in modern forensic science have given investigators new possibilities with evidence that was perceived to be degraded, no longer viable,” Peracchi said. “We are revisiting all those people that were persons of interest during the initial stages of the investigation.
”
In an interview with the Portsmouth Herald five years ago, now-retired police detective Mike Leclaire said the murders of Kempton and Little have too many similarities to ignore and that the women were likely murdered by the same killer. He said both women lived alone in ground floor apartments in the downtown area, were regulars at the Ranger Club and Lucas, were studying to be beauticians, considered social and were dating, but didn’t have steady boyfriends.

Both had photographs taken of themselves while posing with hopes of modeling opportunities, he said. Both were also beaten to death during autumn months, on a weekend day and in the early morning hours. If it was a serial killer, said Leclair, there may have been “a kill” before Kempton and/or after Little.

I live/work in Portsmouth and went to that same school. I went about 4 years ago right after it got bought out by a Paul Mitchell school. Having read everything I could find about these cases I haVe some thoughts: although the students went to the school at different times the regular clients were definitely the same. We had a bunch when I went that had been coming to the school for years. I remember being cautioned when I was new to be careful because they’d had problems in the past with clients getting the “wrong idea” and following the girls home. Also the building behind the school was a Salvation Army and we had a bunch of drifter type clients that frequented the Salvation army. I remember someone telling me once “it used to be way worse” I also remember being told the beauty school moved from a different location but I don’t remember when. He first location was closer to macro polo I believe. Walking distance apart from each other though. If any web sleuths have any questions for someone local I’m happy to answer it.

PS the fact that the murders both took place in the fall doesn’t super ring any bells. The state university is about 20 minutes away and Portsmouth is very touristy in the fall with the foliage and apple picking and the Portsmouth Navyyard is a huge submarine naval base. You can walk from Base to downtown very easily and many navy men frequent the town.

I live/work in Portsmouth and went to that same school. I went about 4 years ago right after it got bought out by a Paul Mitchell school. Having read everything I could find about these cases I haVe some thoughts: although the students went to the school at different times the regular clients were definitely the same. We had a bunch when I went that had been coming to the school for years. I remember being cautioned when I was new to be careful because they’d had problems in the past with clients getting the “wrong idea” and following the girls home. Also the building behind the school was a Salvation Army and we had a bunch of drifter type clients that frequented the Salvation army. I remember someone telling me once “it used to be way worse” I also remember being told the beauty school moved from a different location but I don’t remember when. He first location was closer to macro polo I believe. Walking distance apart from each other though. If any web sleuths have any questions for someone local I’m happy to answer it.

PS the fact that the murders both took place in the fall doesn’t super ring any bells. The state university is about 20 minutes away and Portsmouth is very touristy in the fall with the foliage and apple picking and the Portsmouth Navyyard is a huge submarine naval base. You can walk from Base to downtown very easily and many navy men frequent the town.
Welcome to Ws ABParsons, thanks for the great local insight!

No sex assault, both women attended the same beauty school, heads and faces ( a focal point in such schools) smashed?
Could the perp be born female or a trans woman?
imo, speculation.

No sex assault, both women attended the same beauty school, heads and faces ( a focal point in such schools) smashed?
Could the perp be born female or a trans woman?
imo, speculation.

You might be right but I favour a madman with maybe a bit of squeaky voice and possibly small manhood. I if I were LE would look to see if the cases are related to the Connecticut River Valley Killer murders. Different method of killing but worth a look.

Two Women Murdered in Different Locations, One Bizarre Commonality
laurakempton.jpg
Laura Kempton was an attractive 23 year old aspiring model who was found dead in her 20 Chapel Street in Portsmouth on September 28th, 1981. She had been brutally beaten to death with an object. She had last been seen leaving a local bar named the Ranger Club early Monday morning. A little more than a year later on October 19th , 1982, twenty year old Tammy Little was found in her apartment inside her apartment at 315 Maplewood Avenue. She had been bludgeoned to death.

tammylittle.jpg

Both woman had some similarities between them. They were both socially active and went to some of the same bars and clubs. Most telling though, was that they were both students at the Portsmouth Beauty School. This case is very active and police have spent countless hours trying to collect more evidence. Anyone with information is encouraged to come forward.
There is a $20,000 reward for information leads to an arrest and conviction for either or both murders. You can contact the Portsmouth Police Department at 603-610-7430.

LINK below contains summaries of other unsolved murders in the same area:

New Hampshire Cases

Consider the possibility that the below case might be connected to the murders of these two girls. The body of the still officially unidentified woman below was found in New Hampshire in 1985. She had been killed by blunt trauma to the head. Possible suspect is Terry Peder Rasmussen, a known killer. She might be Denise Beaudin who went missing from NH in 1981.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Murder of Woman and Three Young Children Haunt Town

allentownunidentified1.jpg

It is perhaps the most haunting and bizarre crime to hit the state of New Hampshire.

In 1985 the unidentified remains of an adult female and a young female child were found in a barrel in the Bear Brook State Park of Allenstown.

Fifteen years later when police revisited the scene, several hundred yards away another barrel was found containing the unidentified remains of two other young children. The adult female and the child buried in the barrel with her died from blunt trauma to the head. The two younger children found were probably also murdered and though there is not definitive evidence, they are believed to be female.

DNA tests proved that the adult female is related to the child found buried with her as well as of one of the other children found in 2000. However, she is not the mother of all three children.

The adult female was believed to have been between the ages of 23 and 32. She was between the 5’2 and 5’7. She was caucasian with possible Native American ancestry. She had light curly brown hair. The two children linked to her were around the ages of 5-10 and 1-3 years old. The other is not related to her and is believed to be around 3 to 4 of age.

It is possible that the three children could be paternally related though but it is not proven. Isotope testing shows that all four victims were born in the United States, they believe that the woman and her two children spent substantial time near the Atlantic Coastline anywhere from Maine to Pennsylvania but that is not definitive. The Other child may have spent time as far west as Minnesota. Whoever killed these individuals has not been caught....

8-24-2017: At long last a break in the case as one of the dead children (unrelated to the other three victims) has been identified as the daughter of a deceased killer named Terry Peder Rasmussen also known by the alias of Bob Evans who is a likely serial killer.

Rasmussen is the person believed responsible for the four murders, that of his California girlfriend and possibly several others in New Hampshire and California. Police believe he has left a trail of dead bodies in several states. He died in prison in California in 2010 for the murder of a wife, Eunsoon Jun.

He is the prime suspect in the 1981 disappearance of Denise Beaudin who at the time lived in Goffstown. Police know Rasmussen used various aliases around the country.

LINK:

New Hampshire Cases

I would be more likely to guess that Laura and Tammy were killed by an unstable client, or someone who eyed them from a shared location (i.e. one of the local bars or cafes the two attended).

Elizabeth Lamotte's case is tricky due to the pregnancy during the time she was missing. Did her killer keep her hostage and raped her? Was it a boyfriend she ran off with who went off his rocker? LE will hopefully dig something else up. That being said, I do not think her case is at all related to Laura and Tammy.

Rasmussen, while seeming to favor beating his victims to death, also seemed to have a trend with getting close to young mothers or women he'd build a relationship with first...then beating them to death.

I, as well as a multitude of others, had suggested to LE that the latter two could be related...leading to at last finally locating Elizabeth's body, but I believe they disproved the relation between Rasmussen and Lamotte in the process.

Here is an article about the murders of Tammy Little and Laura Kempton.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/2002news/10182002/news/29979.htm

I would like to give these two cases another bump. My theory is that they might be connected to the Connecticut River Killer cases. Of course this killer is more associated with stabbings but it is possible he had a change of MO and he was a Serial Killer who operated in New England:

On the trail of a possible serial killer

I ran across this list when I googled "Laura Kempton":

"And this is a list of all the unsolved murders in Vermont and New Hampshire in the last 35 years:

1. Joanne Dunham, Charlestown NH, October 1968

2. Jane Doe, Bedford NH, October 6, 1971

3. Daniel O'Connell, Loudon NH, October 30, 1971

4. Kathy Gloddy, Franklin NH, November 22, 1971

5. Paul Olsen, Madison NH, March 24, 1973

6. James Teta, Rindge NH, August 25, 1973

7. Anne Psardelis/Diane Compagna, Raymond NH, September 29, 1973

8. Domingo Valdes, Pelham NH, June 14, 1974

9. Maurice and Ellen Wilkinson, Center Ossipee, August, 16, 1974

10. David Longfellow, Manchester NH, November 24, 1974

11. James O'Brien, New Boston NH, April 12, 1975

12. Judy Lord, Concord NH, May 20, 1975

13. Madlyn Crouse, Nashua NH, February 27, 1976

14. James Sullivan, Gilmanton NH, February 21, 1977

15. Casmiro Jablonski, Newmarket NH, July 6, 1977

16. Joan Gray Rogers, Hardwick VT, July 15, 1977

17. Shari Lynn Roth, Livermore NH, August 21, 1977

18. Jaclynne Snyder, Lee NH, September 4, 1977

19. Pauline Miller/ Ray Blanchette, Manchester NH, October 24, 1978

20. Cathy Millican, New London NH, October 24, 1978

21. Kenneth Jache, Weare NH, October 14, 1979

22. Mary Elizabeth Critchley, Unity NH, August 9, 1981

23. Yvonne Fine, Concord NH, September 7, 1981

24. Laura Kempton, Portsmouth NH, September 28, 1981

25. Mary Harrison, Winchester NH, October 30, 1981

26. Sylvia Gray, Plainfield NH, May 28, 1982

27. Pamela Brown, Barre VT, July 17, 1982

28. Tammy Little, Portsmouth NH, October 16, 1982

29. Bearnice Courtemanche, Kellyville NH, May 30, 1984

30. Ellen Fried, Kellyville NH, July 20, 1984

31. Eva Morse, Unity NH, July 10, 1985

32. Lynda Moore, Saxtons River VT, April 15, 1986

33. Sarah Hunter, Pawlet VT, July 1986

34. Heidi Martin, Hartland VT, May 1, 1984

35. Steven Hill, Hartland VT/Plainfield NH, (In CT River)July 1986

36. Barbara Agnew, Hartland VT, January 10, 1987

37. Lynn Snyder, Rollinsford NH, April 18, 1987

38. Judith Whitney, Winchester NH, November 8, 1987

39. Patricia Scoville, Stowe VT, 1988 (An arrest was made)

40. Sharon Johnson, Bedford NH, July 28, 1988

41. Pamela Webb, Franconia NH, July 18, 1989

42. Craig Lane, Peterborough NH, January 8, 1989

43. Carrie Moss, New Boston NH, April 24, 1991

44. Stella Bolton, Portsmouth NH, February 16, 1991

45. Rita Roy, Manchester NH, May 20, 1991

46. Theresa Reed, Plymouth NH, September 6, 1991

47. Lisa Begin Wright, Laconia NH, December 18, 1991

48. Cheryl Peters, Morrisville VT, August 9, 1993

49. Angela Ann Blouin, Derby VT, May 30, 1993

50. Mindy West, Manchester NH, October 4, 1998

51. Mary Morales, Vernon VT, March 3, 1999

52. Louise Chaput, Pinkham Notch NH, November 15, 2001

53. Amie Lynn Riley, Manchester NH, August 15, 2003

54. Christina Lunceford, Nashua NH, August 1, 2004"

I have no way of knowing if this is an accurate list or not, but I was struck by how many of these murders occurred in the fall.

Below is a map that goes along with the list, and shows where the crimes occurred. I tried to enlarge it, but couldn't do it.

I'm from the same area where a number of young nurses were killed. One of them was found just a mile or so past the far edge of my dad's wooded property. Its been locally thought and well speculated, that a man with some significant mental health issues, including multiple personalities, who's mother had been a nurse and father passed under suspicious circumstances was the killer. There was a book written about the murders and included multiple references to the guy that everyone around here thinks did it. Growing up it wasn't uncommon for young ladies, mostly those working in retail type jobs to have stories of their own creepy run ins with the suspected killer during their shifts. He was also well known for his inappropriate attire and things he'd say to women he found particularly attractive. I had wondered if that alone was enough of a reason, or how the "rumors" got started about the possibility of him being the murderer... that was until I read the book for myself and started to look into details of the crimes, that I found there are many things that seem to point his way as the nurse killer in Sullivan county.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back