CA CA - Gail D. Skelton, 26, Galt/Stockton, 26 September 1980

Hi Roselvr, the blog will be on my own personal blog. I will post a link when it is up. :)

Welcome, churchmouse!

Meaghan from the Charley Project would probably be interested in this case, but I think we need to get confirmation from police first that she is still missing, because Meaghan pretty much only adds cases when she knows they are fully reported missing (and while we have proof via the newspaper article I'm sure she'd like the backup).

Yes, she needs a police contact for the page, so it needs to be a reported/active missing persons case.

Great job. Let us know who the LE contact is for Gail so she can get entered in NamUs if needed.

I'm not sure what to make of the stories about the boat. I think at 1st they reported nothing because they didn't have his remains. There are always different versions of things such as my neighbors death. His heice told me he died a very painful and nasty death when his hernia strangled his intestines. She then changed the story saying he wasn't in pain which I call BS. I wouldn't doubt his boat really had some sort of damage. Can you order the police report?

Gail's car has to be in the water or woods

Identity theft?
It should definitely be looked into and I'm glad you told the Sheriff about it. It is odd she is listed at that address if there is no possible explantion. I just wanted you to know there are sometimes errors in the compiled "public records" where things can be messed up. I'm so glad Gail has someone like you looking into her disappearance, J Rubio. Your blog sounds like it will be interesting to read.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Gails car could’ve gotten junked tho

Identity theft?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

It's possible. That's why the police should check it. Since she has been reported as a missing person they should be able to do a credit report to see if there is any activity on her Social Security number. But, as I said previously, it's also possible this is some sort of error in the public address records.

It would suck so much if she was a victim of identity theft after going missing. :(

It would suck so much if she was a victim of identity theft after going missing. :(

It would. But that could also be a clue. Who would know that she was missing and know her social security number (if it was used)? It could be someone who knew her. Or it might not be anyone who knew her personally but it might mean someone in the area found her wallet/purse with ID and SS card. ID theft seems sort of unlikely IMO because of all the factors that would have to happen-- plus the address is close to the area she lived and was used there for over a decade and records online still make it look like she lives there currently. Most smart identity thieves would not stick around in the same jurisdiction as the person whose identity they stole and live in the same place for over a decade, JMO. But it's not impossible for her ID to have been stolen so I do hope the police are looking into it from JR's tip. The issue of identity theft is one reason (of many) that families of long time missing should consider having their loved ones legally declared deceased (JMO). I know that's a sensitive issue though and hard for some families to even consider. Gail does not have a SS death record as far as I can tell from Ancestry. Someone wanting to steal her ID with her SS# would have to know that she was missing but not declared deceased (and not likely to be in hiding). If her family got a retroactive death record for the day she disappeared, then any activity on her SS# would be flagged. But that's up to them to decide, of course. I just hope they can get her in NAMUS and get some familial DNA associated with her case in order to find out if she has already been found. :moo:

It would. But that could also be a clue. Who would know that she was missing and know her social security number (if it was used)? It could be someone who knew her. Or it might not be anyone who knew her personally but it might mean someone in the area found her wallet/purse with ID and SS card. ID theft seems sort of unlikely IMO because of all the factors that would have to happen-- plus the address is close to the area she lived and was used there for over a decade and records online still make it look like she lives there currently. Most smart identity thieves would not stick around in the same jurisdiction as the person whose identity they stole and live in the same place for over a decade, JMO. But it's not impossible for her ID to have been stolen so I do hope the police are looking into it from JR's tip. The issue of identity theft is one reason (of many) that families of long time missing should consider having their loved ones legally declared deceased (JMO). I know that's a sensitive issue though and hard for some families to even consider. Gail does not have a SS death record as far as I can tell from Ancestry. Someone wanting to steal her ID with her SS# would have to know that she was missing but not declared deceased (and not likely to be in hiding). If her family got a retroactive death record for the day she disappeared, then any activity on her SS# would be flagged. But that's up to them to decide, of course. I just hope they can get her in NAMUS and get some familial DNA associated with her case in order to find out if she has already been found. :moo:

Problem with declaring them deceased is that LE won't work on their case. They'll close it

Problem with declaring them deceased is that LE won't work on their case. They'll close it

Really? I didn't know that. But aren't there many cases where LE determines someone is likely deceased but continues to work the case? Like "no body" murder cases? Is it only if there is no foul play suspected that they close the case? :thinking:

Really? I didn't know that. But aren't there many cases where LE determines someone is likely deceased but continues to work the case? Like "no body" murder cases? Is it only if there is no foul play suspected that they close the case? :thinking:

I wish I had answers. They closed Eric Franks case for a while, foul play suspected. They also wanted to close Debora Sue Lowes case. Not sure if it depends on LE or what.

I wish I had answers. They closed Eric Franks case for a while, foul play suspected. They also wanted to close Debora Sue Lowes case. Not sure if it depends on LE or what.

That is unfortunate. At the very least, they should keep those case open as cold cases (JMO). You never know when a new tip or lead may come in that could solve a cold case. So many of the 70's and 80's cases are getting solved now with new techniques/new technology. Hopefully a new investigator will come along that decides to reopen those cases. I do think it depends on the individual departments/who is in charge deciding to close the case. :moo:

That is unfortunate. At the very least, they should keep those case open as cold cases (JMO). You never know when a new tip or lead may come in that could solve a cold case. So many of the 70's and 80's cases are getting solved now with new techniques/new technology. Hopefully a new investigator will come along that decides to reopen those cases. I do think it depends on the individual departments/who is in charge deciding to close the case. :moo:

Problem is back then, if they even took a report, they close the case the paper file went in storage or purged. Look at Michelle Knight one of the Ohio 3 that escaped Castro. Departments don't have time or money to work the new cases. Thankfully these days we can at least track social security numbers. I do wonder how many MP's socials are being used at least the ones not in NamUs

Problem is back then, if they even took a report, they close the case the paper file went in storage or purged. Look at Michelle Knight one of the Ohio 3 that escaped Castro. Departments don't have time or money to work the new cases. Thankfully these days we can at least track social security numbers. I do wonder how many MP's socials are being used at least the ones not in NamUs

I agree the problem is likely a lack of resources. However, sometimes they will re-open a case due to public pressure or renewed media attention. I hope we can find out if Gail's case is still open. If it's been closed by LE will that hinder getting her into NAMUS?

Maybe the next step is to get a journalist to take notice? JR's blog post should help with this, IMO. This case is full of mystery. It would be perfect for a TV program like "Disappeared" or a Dateline special. JMO.

I agree the problem is likely a lack of resources. However, sometimes they will re-open a case due to public pressure or renewed media attention. I hope we can find out if Gail's case is still open. If it's been closed by LE will that hinder getting her into NAMUS?

Maybe the next step is to get a journalist to take notice? JR's blog post should help with this, IMO. This case is full of mystery. It would be perfect for a TV program like "Disappeared" or a Dateline special. JMO.

She needs an MP report to get added to NamUs with DNA; no MP report the profile is not public, they don't do DNA from what I've experienced. I have 4 cases not public, one is new (Annette Dodd), one (Sharon) has an MP report and DNA; no clue why it's not public, no one answers me. I'll have to get in touch with the 2 case workers to see what can be done about DNA. Also have to follow up with James sister, she was having issues with LE committing to an MP report for NamUs. Cases won't be solved without DNA. Both are 3 years entered.

Michelle Carnall NamUs MP # 29273 Date last seen January 01, 1986 Sedgwick County, Kansas
21 to 22 year old white female Date entered 06/27/2015

James McAleavey NamUs MP # 29439 Date last seen December 19, 1994 Jackson County, Oregon
29 to 30 year old white male - Date entered 07/13/2015

Sharon Gallegos NamUs MP # 35250 Date last seen July 21, 1960 14:55 Otero County, New Mexico
4 year old white hispanic/latino female DNA Status: Sample submitted - Tests complete

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back