Australia - 7 dead in mass shooting and suicide - Osmington WA - 11 May 2018

I'd say that's very possible. From what I've read around 80% of autism cases are genetic, which is pretty obvious when all four of the kids in this case were autistic.

I believe there's also some new research that suggests that the rate of autism is higher in children born to obese women than to those of a healthy weight.
I haven't heard that one. Katrina was not obese.

well.... slap me silly and call me Susan but this statement Mr C is making here has all the hallmarks of a crazed and proud shooter ...I just cant get past his rambling stuff as way way out of the spectrum of Autism and way way in the spectrum of sociopath.

Is it possible he's been medicated to some extent to help him deal with this?

It doesn't make sense.. he kills them all BECAUSE his son is waiting for a kidney transplant? how the hell is that going to help this transplant waiting son? .. I don't get it!.. and it's difficult to believe that Peter Miles would have voiced such a mishmash of illogical reasoning, to anyone at any time , much less to his ex son in law.. nothing adds up.

Maybe it does make sense from Peter's PoV.

One son committed suicide 10 years ago (why?)

The second son is seriously ill and awaiting a kidney transplant and may die before a suitable kidney becomes available.

And there are four grandchildren, all developmentally disabled to an unknown extent and all facing an uncertain future. Ie, at least some of them might never be able to live independently.

These may well be the only grandchildren Peter the grandparents would ever have. Our kids and grandchildren don't always turn out the way we hope, but if all four of these grandchildren had significant problems maybe Peter was disappointed that these weren't the grandchildren he had envisaged or hoped for.

The reality is that very, very few people would choose to have disabled children or grandchildren. Nobody says "I've have a Downs one, Jim", but when your child is born disabled in some way you make the best of it and do what you can to give them the best life you can. And this wasn't one disabled child. It was all four of them, and that could well have been a situation that ultimately became overwhelming.

And before anyone jumps on me in outrage for writing the above, I'm just trying to explore how Peter might have seen the situation (if indeed he was the killer).

I would think because he gave her a hard time. but that does not mean that he did not love his kids. I would suspect there may have been a bit of DV in there and that is why he was given supervised access.

just to clarify, he hasn't been ordered to have supervised visits with his wife, or his ex in laws, ,but supervised while having access to his kids, which generally means that his violence has been directed to the kids, otherwise supervision wouldn't be needed. Verbal violence, physical violence, psychiatric violence, or even all three.,.

It is something that isn't granted lightly, lots of people ask for it, in Family court disputes, but not everyone has it granted, and most parents have to go thru a process of mediation before it is even adjudicated, and then only if it agreed by the court that mediation won't work..

there really would be solid reasons, reasons that satisfied a magistrate after thinking it all thru before this process was instigated...

Is it possible he's been medicated to some extent to help him deal with this?

Maybe it does make sense from Peter's PoV.

One son committed suicide 10 years ago (why?)

The second son is seriously ill and awaiting a kidney transplant and may die before a suitable kidney becomes available.

And there are four grandchildren, all developmentally disabled to an unknown extent and all facing an uncertain future. Ie, at least some of them might never be able to live independently.

These may well be the only grandchildren Peter the grandparents would ever have. Our kids and grandchildren don't always turn out the way we hope, but if all four of these grandchildren had significant problems maybe Peter was disappointed that these weren't the grandchildren he had envisaged or hoped for.

The reality is that very, very few people would choose to have disabled children or grandchildren. Nobody says "I've have a Downs one, Jim", but when your child is born disabled in some way you make the best of it and do what you can to give them the best life you can. And this wasn't one disabled child. It was all four of them, and that could well have been a situation that ultimately became overwhelming.

And before anyone jumps on me in outrage for writing the above, I'm just trying to explore how Peter might have seen the situation (if indeed he was the killer).

I have to bite my lip here.

"The last movie I watched with them two weekends ago was Avengers and the kids loved it.

"It's not a good time, watching a movie with kids, I get to be with them, see their reaction but it's not talking, conversation time.

"But I had a great time with them, Taye asked for money for shoes.

"I gave them all a $10 note each - I gave Taye a 20 - they never spend it but knowing they had their own little wallet - independence - I couldn't wait for them to leave the farm situation and be their own independent people."

Mr Cockman said since the children were home-schooled and he did not have custody, he never knew where they were.

"I used to drive around town hoping to see them somewhere and I would now and then.

"That kept me going, I thought 'Yeah I've seen my kids again.'

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2...agedy-father-of-children-aaron-cockman-speaks

I can’t remember before the cops stating that they’ll be there for a week. They’re not looking for a body hidden on vast property like Tanja Ebert, all the bodies are there.

Nah the cops aren’t 100% sure yet.

Im still not 100% sure it was the grandfather. Police keep saying its 6 people died of homicide but they are treating it like a murder-suicide. Why not say it is a murder-suicide? They wont confirm that it was Peter on the phone, why not? I still wonder if they let Dad speak to see what he would say and see if anything there doesnt add up.
If it was grandfather, the only way I can see it making sense in a desperate way is that he felt that he wanted to 'protect' his daughter and grandkids from ongoing interaction with the dad, and didnt want any of them, wife, daughter and grandkids to suffer, so removed them all.

I don't feel he is on the spectrum. Can't see an autistic person fronting the media so boldly like that. I don't even know for sure if 'all' the kids are on the spectrum given some went to main stream primary schools. Just my opinion there. But I DO think 'some' of his comments were really worrisome. "I thought yeah I'll get them back some day" (Peter and Cynda), "I was so angry, but now they're dead, I don't feel any anger at all!". Either he is involved or he has a truckload of lingering bitterness that he has not yet buried and still in a bit of shock. The part where he mentions the bro Neil needing surgery is true. Cynda disclosed that herself in her FB that she was at the hospital with Neil a few weeks ago.

To be in the bed like that so peaceful, possibly indicates some sedation and or poisoning beforehand. I'm not convinced of 'whodunnit' yet and look forward to coroner report.

just to clarify, he hasn't been ordered to have supervised visits with his wife, or his ex in laws, ,but supervised while having access to his kids, which generally means that his violence has been directed to the kids, otherwise supervision wouldn't be needed. Verbal violence, physical violence, psychiatric violence, or even all three.,.

Just curious, would that include sexual abuse as well, or would be an immediate no contact whatsoever?

Im still not 100% sure it was the grandfather. Police keep saying its 6 people died of homicide but they are treating it like a murder-suicide. Why not say it is a murder-suicide? They wont confirm that it was Peter on the phone, why not? I still wonder if they let Dad speak to see what he would say and see if anything there doesnt add up.
If it was grandfather, the only way I can see it making sense in a desperate way is that he felt that he wanted to 'protect' his daughter and grandkids from ongoing interaction with the dad, and didnt want any of them, wife, daughter and grandkids to suffer, so removed them all.

Grandpop should have considered popping off the son-in-law but he goes and pops off his own family.
Any one of those kidneys might have saved the son, not now.

In the moment of stupid it doesn’t need to make sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just curious, would that include sexual abuse as well, or would be an immediate no contact whatsoever?

immediate no contact until deeper investigation takes place. ...... that kind of allegation would carry the most weight if it was from one or all of the children, .. if just from Mum , say, it would need empirical corroboration, you can understand the dilemma there, but even so, non contact immediately would be done there and then.

Case in point. a young father gets rung up at work on Friday, it's CPS. he has his 8 yr old son every weekend, Friday night till Monday morning. CPS says, pick up your son tonight and don't take him back or have contact with his mother until further notice.. turns out the mother was a drunk, ( well known ) but she also had invited a bloke from the pub home to stay for a week who was a documented child sexual abuser. End of story. How CPS found out , don't know, but since then she has had to undergo drug and alcohol tests, which , in her alcoholic defiance disorder she wont do, she isn't allowed to ring or see the boy until she does, though.

but this is a rare event, . no contact between a parent and child, be it mother or father is not undergone lightly or without many layers of corroborated evidence that is court worthy and not just that but unarguable in the main.

Mr C had supervised visits.. which I gathered he didn't like much. I am presuming these visits were at the farm, possibly supervised by Peter and Cynda.. Supervised visits are ordered in rather heavy events of unacceptable violence of all sorts. It isn't just agreed to without a lot of hoo - ha and back and forthing with the court..
He says, he didn't know where his kids were, yes he does, they are at home being schooled, he doesn't have to drive around town seeking them out, that sounded so off to me, that I wondered if he understood his own situation. And he wants the kids to be ' independant'.. well. how was that going to be accomplished, considering the handicaps they apparently were weighed down by ?..

I can’t remember before the cops stating that they’ll be there for a week. They’re not looking for a body hidden on vast property like Tanja Ebert, all the bodies are there.

Nah the cops aren’t 100% sure yet.

Yeah, I’m getting mixed messages too. I thought this (that they weren’t convinced) but then they said they weren’t looking for anyone else. That there were 6 homicides and a seventh person is deceased but they’re not saying it’s a suicide - and they won’t say it’s homicide either.

“This is a complex criminal investigation. We’re treating this as a matter in which clearly six persons are the subject of a homicide.

“A seventh person is deceased. It is far too premature to come to any conclusive statement about that.”

Speaking to media today, Commissioner Dawson would not confirm reports that Mr Miles — the husband, father and grandfather of those killed — had called police around 5.15am.

Within hours of the tragedy, police said they were not looking for anyone else in connection with the shootings.

http://www.news.com.au/national/sev...y/news-story/d089498f79d01072301d140b8dbf7119

Grandpop should have considered popping off the son-in-law but he goes and pops off his own family.
Any one of those kidneys might have saved the son, not now.

In the moment of stupid it doesn’t need to make sense.

and the son is left with no kidney, no mum, no dad, no sister, no nephews , no nieces, no nuffink!.. it is stupid squared!

I don't feel he is on the spectrum. Can't see an autistic person fronting the media so boldly like that. I don't even know for sure if 'all' the kids are on the spectrum given some went to main stream primary schools. Just my opinion there. But I DO think 'some' of his comments were really worrisome. "I thought yeah I'll get them back some day" (Peter and Cynda), "I was so angry, but now they're dead, I don't feel any anger at all!". Either he is involved or he has a truckload of lingering bitterness that he has not yet buried and still in a bit of shock. The part where he mentions the bro Neil needing surgery is true. Cynda disclosed that herself in her FB that she was at the hospital with Neil a few weeks ago.

To be in the bed like that so peaceful, possibly indicates some sedation and or poisoning beforehand. I'm not convinced of 'whodunnit' yet and look forward to coroner report.

I'm on the autism spectrum and I tend to agree with your observation. He's certainly not my type of weird. He's over-confident. I read somewhere that he wasn't pressured to do that media performance; he insisted on it, to everyone's surprise. Another thing I wondered about was that his priority question for police was whether two of the kids were in the same bed. My imagining goes that he thought they were together when he shot them and then second-guessed himself: what if he neglected to shoot one child who would be a potential witness?

I'm on the autism spectrum and I tend to agree with your observation. He's certainly not my type of weird. He's over-confident. I read somewhere that he wasn't pressured to do that media performance; he insisted on it, to everyone's surprise. Another thing I wondered about was that his priority question for police was whether two of the kids were in the same bed. My imagining goes that he thought they were together when he shot them and then second-guessed himself: what if he neglected to shoot one child who would be a potential witness?

Not true about two kids in same bed.

His eight-year-old son, Kadyn, was sleeping in his mum's bed and was found dead with her.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2...agedy-father-of-children-aaron-cockman-speaks

He said he was “filled with tremendous sadness” over the loss of his children, but noted they at least “died peacefully in their beds”.

“I had one question this morning, I just asked … was Kayden in his own bed or was he sleeping with Kat?

“He’s still at that age where he still sleeps with Kat and I was told ‘yes’, he was in Kat’s bed.”

http://www.news.com.au/national/cri...y/news-story/389e5224ff361fabcdfa681a6f5fff2c

Not true about two kids in same bed.

His eight-year-old son, Kadyn, was sleeping in his mum's bed and was found dead with her.

He said he was “filled with tremendous sadness” over the loss of his children, but noted they at least “died peacefully in their beds”.

“I had one question this morning, I just asked … was Kayden in his own bed or was he sleeping with Kat?

“He’s still at that age where he still sleeps with Kat and I was told ‘yes’, he was in Kat’s bed.”

http://www.news.com.au/national/cri...y/news-story/389e5224ff361fabcdfa681a6f5fff2c

Thanks, I wasn't picking up properly on the names. I still think he was worrying he had missed someone.

I inhabit the 'cynical' spectrum, which isn't all bad really. I got the distinct impression that Mr C was enjoying himself considerably, that at last, at long last he had a captive audience for his long list of grievances, his chance to display some irrefutable logic to people who hadn't paid enough attention in the past.

I , too was struck by him insisting on centre stage.. .. he looked like he had waited a long time for it.

And another thing, from Planet Cynical. the shooter had a lot of time to re arrange the bodies to his/her satisfaction. Back in bed, under the covers, he didn't ring for an hour after the main event, .. the forensics may say a different story, and there is something odd about the police telling him about the bed stuff, and him ASKING about it, too. Off as a three dollar bill .

I’m not convinced they were all in bed asleep, I think he was told what he wanted to hear. Unless granddad had a silencer, I have a hard time believing that they stayed in bed as each was being shot.

Mr Miles was found slumped in a chair on the veranda with a firearm between his legs and head wounds. Yesterday, the bodies of the seven family members were removed from the farm.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/so...beautiful-wa-family-gunned-down-ng-b88834383z

Mr and Mrs Miles are survived by two sons — Tom, 27, who also lived at the Osmington property, and Neil, who lives in Perth. Friends of Tom Miles were rallying around him, with one friend saying: “Cynda has left behind two loving sons.

The father of the children isn’t a POI is he?

So he’s a victim, correct? Just wasn’t sure if I missed an update over the weekend...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back