Identified! WA - Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #6 *name withheld*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if his body will be relocated as well, and if it isn't I wonder if they will put up some sort of marker/headstone.

Surely the point of putting a headstone on the grave of a known person is to make their name known to future generations, yet if the family wanted to do that they wouldn't have asked for him and themselves not to be publicly named. It seems to me that the options are either to leave him where he is in anonymity or to exhume him and reinter his body with a headstone giving his details but in a place where the new burial and Lyle would not be connected.

The odds seem astronomical to me that his family & friends/acquaintances from high school never once saw him on the internet at anytime since 2001. Didn't anybody ever wonder what the hell happened to "Lyle"? His face is everywhere online, and not just in the creepy corners of the web either. YouTube alone has dozens of videos about him with lots of pictures. If anyone would've been looking for a John Doe fitting his description it wouldn't have taken much time at all to find him imo. Don't get me wrong- I'm not trying to blame anybody, merely pointing out the seemingly impossible odds of it all. I'm happy he gets his name back & gets to go home again. And best wishes to his family, I can't imagine what you're going through, stay strong. I'm just dumbfounded by how many families never file a missing persons report. Even after 15 years of zero contact with anybody. Sad deal

The odds seem astronomical to me that his family & friends/acquaintances from high school never once saw him on the internet at anytime since 2001. Didn't anybody ever wonder what the hell happened to "Lyle"? His face is everywhere online, and not just in the creepy corners of the web either. YouTube alone has dozens of videos about him with lots of pictures. If anyone would've been looking for a John Doe fitting his description it wouldn't have taken much time at all to find him imo. Don't get me wrong- I'm not trying to blame anybody, merely pointing out the seemingly impossible odds of it all. I'm happy he gets his name back & gets to go home again. And best wishes to his family, I can't imagine what you're going through, stay strong. I'm just dumbfounded by how many families never file a missing persons report. Even after 15 years of zero contact with anybody. Sad deal

I think your thoughts are probably what an average person thinks, but maybe not saying out of respect or concern of sounding too harsh. I too have no idea how this could happen in 2018.

But we are assuming he had a normal upbringing. We are assuming he went to school. We are just assuming all of this at this point. It could be that his parents were missionaries in some foreign land, and didn't have the resources to look. Or he could have been raised in some cult. Someone on reddit even mentioned that perhaps his family didn't speak English. And someone also on reddit said that he came from a farming background. We just don't know. I am trying, really hard, to stay positive about all of this. I know where you are coming from. I share the same feelings.

If his family didn't think that he might've been a John Doe, or even really know about John Does, then they never would've looked him up. They had assumed he was alive and just didn't want to talk to them.

Most family members of UIDs don't really know about Does. Otherwise yes, they would've found them.

Surely the point of putting a headstone on the grave of a known person is to make their name known to future generations, yet if the family wanted to do that they wouldn't have asked for him and themselves not to be publicly named. It seems to me that the options are either to leave him where he is in anonymity or to exhume him and reinter his body with a headstone giving his details but in a place where the new burial and Lyle would not be connected.

True. I thought that if they did leave his remains there maybe they would put up an unidentifying marker of some sort. An "in memory" with a death date or something.

I know I can speak for my own family: my parents barely know what a John or Jane Doe is, let alone think of looking people up from their past as such (even though they have plenty of people they've never heard from again). I think normal people just don't think of such things. And my distant family isn't close to each other - a lot of us could fall off the face of the Earth and no one would notice. I don't think that's a too uncommon dynamic.

I'm guessing some of his friends or high school classmates might weight in on his case (this is the Internet age, all they have to do is come on here or any similar public forum.) & Combing through high school yearbooks from New Mexico might out his name anyways.

I've seen "the dark underbelly" of so many lives that I am OK with not wondering about "Lyle's" real life. I still am sad he chose to end himself. Aside from emotional reasons the mystery of suicide is what keeps people up at night. (I'm speaking as someone who lost a loved one to suicide.)

I'm guessing some of his friends or high school classmates might weight in on his case (this is the Internet age, all they have to do is come on here or any similar public forum.) & Combing through high school yearbooks from New Mexico might out his name anyways.

I've seen "the dark underbelly" of so many lives that I am OK with not wondering about "Lyle's" real life. I still am sad he chose to end himself. Aside from emotional reasons the mystery of suicide is what keeps people up at night. (I'm speaking as someone who lost a loved one to suicide.)
I don't think he was from NM, one of his grandparents was. I might have missed some new info, but I think he was just from California.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I know I can speak for my own family: my parents barely know what a John or Jane Doe is, let alone think of looking people up from their past as such (even though they have plenty of people they've never heard from again). I think normal people just don't think of such things. And my distant family isn't close to each other - a lot of us could fall off the face of the Earth and no one would notice. I don't think that's a too uncommon dynamic.

We have at least two branches of the family that we've completely lost touch with for no particular reason. They would be my second cousins. I think another cousin located some of those relatives and has been in touch, but my mother's father's family was broken up after the parents died young, and I don't even know the names to look for. Truthfully, I don't even have much interest in doing it.

I hope you get to go home soon. ��

But was he ever formally declared missing? The DM articles says the family thought he was just estranged from them.

I want to say a huge thank you and congrats for all you've done for Lyle with his FB group and putting him on Reddit where it took on a life of it's own.

Thank you :)

I’m happy that Lyle finally has a name and can return home.

LE has indicated that Lyle's family do not wish his identity to be known. Accordingly, please do not disparage, sleuth, or encourage sleuthing of he or his family.

Rest in Peace "Lyle"
:rose: :rose: :rose:

Whatever your life's troubles or circumstances,
there were many, many people who cared so very deeply about who you were.

We will remember this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member