Websleuths is MOVING to a new home

Status
Not open for further replies.
A request,

Can you leave a placemark at the old site, so that we can get to the new site without a problem?

Ie. "We've moved! Please update your bookmarks." And will you keep this placeholder in effect for some time so that our WS community members can all find our new home?

Much appreciated! Thank you all!

Satch

Hi Satch,

All you will need to do is type in www.websleuths.com and the new site will come up after the installation project is over.

As far as the bookmarks I am going to ask Dave our tech guy about this just to be sure.

I'll come back with the answer sometime tomorrow.

Tricia

I was/am one of the beta testers. The new forum is great and not hard to navigate at all. It is bright and sunny in there and as if someone opened the drapes and let the sunshine in! At least that is the way it seems to me.

I remember when I hated moving from an old layout to this one and didn't really like it st first. Then, after a time, I grew to love it.

IMO, the new one will be great!

Is it too early in our relationship to ask you to marry me? LOL

Thank you LaLaw.

Just like when y'all announce the current thread is closing, please follow here?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

You won't need a bookmark to this old forum to get to the new one. It will be as easy as typing www.websleuths.com

This forum will be gone and in its place will be the new forum.

Normally when a website does something like this it will keep the URL (websleuths.com) and we would come back on Wednesday and refresh every now and then until we see the new forum appear. All the work is done by clever techy people behind the scenes, and your ISP and your browser automatically do the rest. Sometimes you get a situation when a site comes back that some people can get in earlier than others, some ISPs take a bit longer to catch up, but a lot of that depends on how the techy people choose to do the moving. But we shouldn't have to do anything except wait for Wednesday and refresh now and then until the new forum appears. And when it appears, sign in and get reading and get used to the new format.

nb. I am just going by what I know from other sites moving servers and upgrading software.

YES YES YES WHAT AMONET SAID.

Thank you Amonet.

ONE MORE BIG ANNOUNCEMENT TO HELP JUMP START YOUR NERVES LOL.

The way we will handle timeouts and bannings is changing.

Now we will use a points system.

Let's say you post something really obnoxious in the Anthony forum. You would be alerted that you have a warning. The warning will tell you what you did wrong and how many points you received due to your comment.

Each infraction will be assigned points.

Example: A snarky comment is worth 2 points. Those two points will stay on your record for 30 days. If within 30 days you end up with 5 points you get a 3 day time out.

The good news is the points drop off your record after 30 days.

If you end up being so difficult that the infractions total more than 5 points in a 30 day period your time out will be longer.

This is a way to take away the judgment call we have been making. Now everyone is equal.

Something else that is really different but I know you are going to love.

The private messages are now called "Conversations".

"Conversations" look just like discussion threads but the difference is only the people involved in the conversation can see what is being said. Also, you can invite up to 5 other members to your private conversation. In other words, instead of taking things to email that you are not allowed to discuss openly on Websleuths, you can have your own mini-forum discussing the case with a group of members and get to say all kinds of crazy things that I will never know you are saying.

See? This move and new software is going to be fun.

Someone posted a question about the rules and terms of service.

The rules will pretty much stay the same. We will do a bit of tweaking on our Terms of Service but the basic rules will stay the same.

Ok, my darling true crime angels I am heading to bed.

More tomorrow.

Goodnight.
Tricia

I've tried out the new forum and had no problems, and I'm not too techie! :pcguru:
But I'm pretty sure members will help others with their problems! We have a nice group of people here.

Tricia said:
snipped by me....
The forum will go down Monday morning May 21st. Don't panic. All we are doing is moving everything over to the new software. We should be back up by the 24th.

:eek: That's THREE whole days....

and there are three trials that start on Monday! Guess I'm going to have to take notes (from tweeters) and get them posted on the threads on the 24th to be up to speed... :eek:nline:

Oh - reading Arnie M's post re bookmarks. Will my "now" bookmarks "work" on the new forum? You know, what I have right now bookmarked for THIS forum will still be GOOD for the new...

I notice Tricia that this ^^ hasn't been answered yet. Hopefully, you understand what I'm trying to say! :giggle:

Tricia said:
snipped by me....
We have limited the number of lines in a signature. Let me check with Dave and make sure these will transfer over. Good question.

I only have three lines and emoticons in them.... :)

TIA!

I have looked in the beta site and it’s great. I literally stumble around on Tapatalk and after being a member for over 12 months still don’t even know my way around. It will be great once we are all used to it.
I didn’t know we had blogs and..............I don’t even know what bookmarks are !??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am perfectly happy with the status quo. But just call me old fashioned I guess.
Im sure Ill be able to adjust. Hopefully.

Somebody somewhere probably said the same when trial by jury replaced trial by combat ....

Tricia ... I didn't have any real problems with the beta testing functions. however, the colors chosen and text size are a huge problem for me. Will there be a way to tweak our own settings to make the text to stand out better for those with visual difficulties?

And will there be a place to ask questions or make suggestions, or is this the absolute final version and we better get used to it? (Just kidding, I will for sure, as will all of us)

looking forward to fewer glitches and more ease of functioning. You've all done a lot to make WS proud.

Will the existing links to threads that we have saved/bookmarked still work on the new site, or will the URLs change?

Oh great news! I love the new site.

Spellz, ima.grandma, Jewels, Horror, HamSandwich & all the rest that have been testing along with me, are ya ready?! ;)

I love the new look so I'm excited.............. I have one worry..... What will I do without Websleuths all that time?!!!!! :D (Other than that, it will all be fine! :lol:)

I've tried out the new forum and had no problems, and I'm not too techie! :pcguru:
But I'm pretty sure members will help others with their problems! We have a nice group of people here.

:eek: That's THREE whole days....

and there are three trials that start on Monday! Guess I'm going to have to take notes (from tweeters) and get them posted on the threads on the 24th to be up to speed...

Oh - reading Arnie M's post re bookmarks. Will my "now" bookmarks "work" on the new forum? You know, what I have right now bookmarked for THIS forum will still be GOOD for the new...

I notice Tricia that this ^^ hasn't been answered yet. Hopefully, you understand what I'm trying to say! :giggle:

I only have three lines and emoticons in them.... :)

TIA!

WAIT, something Niner said reminded me to ask... will we have more emoticons/smileys etc? There are only a few over there now.

Ok... I'm gonna go ahead and stop spamming now. Sorry, I'm just so excited! :floorlaugh:

Sorry for not getting back to you on this. I do know this issue sounds like something that has to do with your settings somehow. We did not see a complaint like this one before but maybe we did have complaints and I don't know about them which is possible.

The new software will adapt to whatever machine you are using. Websleuths will look the same on your phone, iPad, laptop, and desktop, The beauty of this new software is its ability to conform to the device you are using. Everything should look the same on anything you can use to log into the web and participate on Websleuths.

Yes I had a feeling it had to do with my settings but I had no idea how I changed them in the first place, let alone how to change them back lol.

You will not have to re-register. Let me double check on the Avatars and sig lines.

We have a problem now on Websleuths with many members taking advantage of the signature lines by having a novel posted in their signature line.

We have limited the number of lines in a signature. Let me check with Dave and make sure these will transfer over. Good question.
I have turned signatures off because of this. threads are big enough without having to scroll through reams of signatures!

I love it in the New WS Forum, I think it is much easier to navigate. It doesn't seem as bogged down as this site is. I have tried using Tapatalk and I hate it. So if Tricia says you won't need it on a phone I am happy about that.

I just wish we wouldn't be down for 3 days! We will all be having a :tantrum: if something big happens on one of our cases.

Here is to Happy Moving Day! :toastred:

Thanks for doing this, Tricia! Thanks also to your team! I'll be out of town, traveling, during the roll out, but will try to check in. Can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88