OK - Five Bever family members slain in their Broken Arrow home, 22 July 2015 *Guilty*

Now the jury will begin deliberations on the 5 first degree murder charges. Here is an article about what they heard for a psychologist today:

http://m.newson6.com/story.aspx?story=38170687

She said his overall IQ is 83 and that normal is 85-115. Under 70 would be considered mental retardation.

She said Michael exhibited strength verbal IQ, but she said his reasoning and how fast he thinks was not so good.

Thank You for the sentencing update. I guess I'm not too surprised he will be eligible for parole eventually because of his young age at the time of the crimes.

There's some interesting info about Michael in the news article. I remember he made some YouTube videos years ago, but I can't recall how he appeared in them. Was he as mentally challenged as the psychiatrist said? How did he get those head injuries as a small child?

Bever has a nonverbal IQ that is "borderline to mental retardation" with intellectual impairments that could have been caused by head injuries suffered as a small child, a psychiatrist told jurors Friday morning.

The same jurors have already recommended that Bever spend 28 years in prison for helping his brother attempt to kill a then-13-year-old sister, who survived the knife attack and became the prosecution's star witness against Michael.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagel...cle_8d86c9ed-16ee-56dc-b9a1-a06f2627b2ab.html

Sentencing delayed for Michael Bever; surviving sister 'terrified' at possibility of parole, according to letter
“Every minute and every second,” Bever told a Tulsa County district judge Tuesday morning, “I’ve been thinking about what I could have done different and what kind of life I could have had with my family.”

Expected to hand down a formal sentence in Bever’s quintuple murder case, Judge Sharon Holmes instead decided to give herself more time to think about it, putting off a decision until Aug. 9.

Now 16, she’s terrified that her brother might someday get out of prison and come after her again, according to a letter written by her adoptive mother and read aloud in court Tuesday.

“It will take C.B. a long time, countless hours of therapy and deep soul searching to overcome what happened to her,” the letter said.

Anticipating a lengthy appeals process regardless of what decision she makes, Judge Holmes promised to deliver the sentence in writing so higher courts “will know exactly what I was thinking.”

“I want to take the time to get this right,” she said. “And I will get it as right as I can.”

Judge Rules Michael Bever Will Serve 5 Life Sentences Consecutively

Bever's attorney Corbin Brewster said he was surprised by the ruling and that he disagrees with it, saying it goes against Supreme Court rulings and the wishes of six jurors that wrote a letter to the judge saying they believed Bever could be rehabilitated and urged for a concurrent sentence.

"This was a very strong verdict for life with parole. There are a group of jurors that submitted a letter to the judge saying this was our verdict, we want the sentences to run concurrent. They've come to both sentencing hearings in support of that ruling and that's not what we got today," Brewster said.

Michael Bever gets five consecutive life sentences in slayings of five family members

“I’m very gratified by the ruling of Judge (Sharon) Holmes,” Kunzweiler said. “I think it’s exactly what she needed to do. I’ve said before: When do you want this guy living next door to you? I think her pronouncement kind of reflected the public safety concerns that I’ve always had.”

In a hearing Thursday morning that lasted less than 10 minutes, Holmes declined to offer a rationale on the sentence, as she had previously indicated she would. She simply read her decision and informed Bever of his appellate rights.

5b6c54fc863d9.image.jpg

Really? He thinks that he is going to wake up one day and ask his little brother a question? And he can't believe It happened? It happened because you did it. Your little brother will ask no questions again because you slaughtered him.
What doesn't this man get about this? He is speaking about it like it was some awful accident.

I do wonder why Judge Holmes didn't elaborate on her sentencing rationale. She took extra time to make the decision...what solidified it? She'll probably never say, but I would guess she went with the wishes of the surviving sister, CB.

FYI This is possibly April Bever's (the mom) Youtube: CrumbleyCrisps

This is her Reddit, seems a pretty regular middle class mom: overview for aokiemom

The motive has often been somewhat unclear but I have heard that the children were harshly disciplined within the home. Although that is not much of an excuse. I think both boys, in particular Robert were just a few sandwiches short of a picnic!

I would have to think the urge of a detective or other police official to smash the boys heads off a cell door....must be strong. Robert might smile and laugh the whole time but i'd love 5 minutes with him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back