Australia - 7 dead in mass shooting and suicide - Osmington WA - 11 May 2018

You, at that time was just in terrible pain, but you did not have the malice to kill other people. You are an ok person.

Hey, there've been other times I've had the impulse to murder someone. I got the hell away from the temptation. Those times have nothing to do with antidepressants or withdrawal.

I concur with those people who have said that starting on an SSRI can increase suicide risk. Some people experience an initial 'high' which is something other than the depression relief the medicines are intended to give. At that time those people are more impulsive and more likely to immediately act on various impulses including suicidal ones. I don't know whether they'd be more likely to act on aggressive impulses; I don't see why not; and I presume we all have them, at times, to some degree. However, that is a long way from saying that a person so affected is incapable of self-control or doesn't know right from wrong.

Hey, there've been other times I've had the impulse to murder someone. I got the hell away from the temptation. Those times have nothing to do with antidepressants or withdrawal.

I concur with those people who have said that starting on an SSRI can increase suicide risk. Some people experience an initial 'high' which is something other than the depression relief the medicines are intended to give. At that time those people are more impulsive and more likely to immediately act on various impulses including suicidal ones. I don't know whether they'd be more likely to act on aggressive impulses; I don't see why not; and I presume we all have them, at times, to some degree. However, that is a long way from saying that a person so affected is incapable of self-control or doesn't know right from wrong.
I have had my down times, but I have never had aggressive thoughts about killing anyone. I am not sure that we all have aggressive thoughts, much less act on them.

I have had my down times, but I have never had aggressive thoughts about killing anyone. I am not sure that we all have aggressive thoughts, much less act on them.
To clarify (?), I don't mean that we all have murderous impulses or thoughts necessarily. But occasional angry feelings are normal and inevitable I think. So if for some reason one is in an unusually impulsive state, not restraining the leap from feeling to behaviour, then perhaps one would be more than usually inclined to violence against others as well as to suicide. It might depend on your base level; whether you were close to the threshold beforehand or had habits of self-control and respect.

To clarify (?), I don't mean that we all have murderous impulses or thoughts necessarily. But occasional angry feelings are normal and inevitable I think. So if for some reason one is in an unusually impulsive state, not restraining the leap from feeling to behaviour, then perhaps one would be more than usually inclined to violence against others as well as to suicide. It might depend on your base level; whether you were close to the threshold beforehand or had habits of self-control and respect.
Yes, I understand what you are saying. You may have aggressive thoughts about someone who has harmed you, or you believe has, but children would not ever come into your thoughts about that, I am sure.

Reactions: JLZ
Let's not forget, also, that there appears to have been a fair degree of planning that went into these murders. It is not as if Peter just lost his cool and shot the place up.

His medication may or may not have given him the clarity of mind and propensity to carry out his own suicide. It seems it may have also given him the clarity of mind to carry out a planned mass murder.

Those evil intentions were there. For whatever messed up, unfair, murderous reason.

.... he was told his four children had been murdered in their beds .....
‘He was trying to fix the whole problem’

The children’s shattered father Aaron Cockman told reporters in nearby Margaret River on Sunday he also believed Mr Miles had planned the apparent murder-suicide because the children were all in their beds and appeared peaceful.

Grandfather had ‘sense of failure’ neighbours claim

I don't think that a murderer should share a funeral with his victims. But that is his son's choice, not mine.
But should the man who made her life and the life of her children a living hell, be the one to plan her funeral? I cant help thinking of Taleigh Palmer and her murderer, carrying her coffin, and he was the one who caused her to be placed in there!!!

But should the man who made her life and the life of her children a living hell, be the one to plan her funeral? I cant help thinking of Taleigh Palmer and her murderer, carrying her coffin, and he was the one who caused her to be placed in there!!!
I am not sure that you can compare those two. Her husband did not murder here or their children, her father did. The husband is a bit of an odd bod, but I am pretty sure, that Peter interfered in that relationship.

We don't know that he made the children's lives a living hell. They were seeing him when they were allowed. They were obviously speaking with him about their wants and desires, as he was giving them bits of money to assist.

It seems that it was the grandparents that had decided that he wouldn't be seeing his children again, if they could help it.

Mr Cockman, who was estranged from Katrina and had been embroiled in a bitter custody dispute with her, said he had not spoken to Peter and Cynda "since they cut me off from my kids".
"Kat's mum said to me once 'You'll see. Kat will make sure you and your parents never see those kids again'.
Margaret River shootings: Shattered father Aaron Cockman faces media | PerthNow

We don't know that he made the children's lives a living hell. They were seeing him when they were allowed. They were obviously speaking with him about their wants and desires, as he was giving them bits of money to assist.

It seems that it was the grandparents that had decided that he wouldn't be seeing his children again, if they could help it.

Mr Cockman, who was estranged from Katrina and had been embroiled in a bitter custody dispute with her, said he had not spoken to Peter and Cynda "since they cut me off from my kids".
"Kat's mum said to me once 'You'll see. Kat will make sure you and your parents never see those kids again'.
Margaret River shootings: Shattered father Aaron Cockman faces media | PerthNow
You are only hearing from one side, and I know for sure, he made their life a living hell. I know that because I know her and her friends.

You are only hearing from one side, and I know for sure, he made their life a living hell. I know that because I know her and her friends.

I cannot comment on that because there is no verified source. Not that I don't believe that the custody battle was bitter, and the marriage had been a bad one.
They were not the first or the last very crappy marriage, where the children are caught in between. It doesn't mean he did not love his children or have the right to bury them. Especially when they were murdered by their own 'loving' maternal grandfather.

I feel very sorry for all the people who knew this family. It is a very sad situation. My condolences.

Let's not forget, also, that there appears to have been a fair degree of planning that went into these murders. It is not as if Peter just lost his cool and shot the place up.

His medication may or may not have given him the clarity of mind and propensity to carry out his own suicide. It seems it may have also given him the clarity of mind to carry out a planned mass murder.

Those evil intentions were there. For whatever messed up, unfair, murderous reason.

.... he was told his four children had been murdered in their beds .....
‘He was trying to fix the whole problem’

The children’s shattered father Aaron Cockman told reporters in nearby Margaret River on Sunday he also believed Mr Miles had planned the apparent murder-suicide because the children were all in their beds and appeared peaceful.

Grandfather had ‘sense of failure’ neighbours claim

I wonder what evidence shows there was premeditated planning vs decided on the spur of the moment.

I wonder what evidence shows there was premeditated planning vs decided on the spur of the moment.

I guess the main evidence would be this .... which I doubt would be the case (considering longarm weapons were used) as gunshots were heard at a distance by others, surely the kids would have been disturbed by them.

.... he had asked police to tell him if his children had died peacefully. He says police had confirmed to him that this was right — that they had been found in their beds as if they were asleep
Nocookies - The Australian May 13, 2018

Three "longarm" firearms licensed to Peter Miles .......... have been recovered at the crime scene, police said.
Guns found at scene of Margaret River murder-suicide belonged to grandfather

She said: "Something woke me up around 4am. I heard quite a few gunshots and at the time I didn’t take much notice of it.
"(The shots) were separated out, there was quite a long gap between them. It wasn’t one after another."
Osmington murder-suicide suspect, grandfather Peter Miles, sounded vague' day before worst mass shooting in Australia for 22 years

When a reporter asked Mr Dawson to confirm that Mr Miles called police at 5.15am on Friday “and admitted what he had allegedly done” .......... he said he had listened to a recording of it and he was satisfied there were no other suspects to be located.
Nocookies - The Australian May 12, 2018

I presume that Mr Cockman would have far more details about the crime, and know more about the evidence the police have, than we do - seeing that his kids were involved, and he was speaking outside the police station:
“He didn’t snap ... Peter planned this,” Aaron Cockman told reporters outside the Margaret River police station today.
Nocookies - The Australian May 12, 2018

Last edited:
Thank god Peter killed himself & didn't go on to live his his life like the murderer who murdered 10 family members as in this story did...............

Mass murderer Clifford Bartholomew’s secret life since leaving jail revealed by survivor who lived in fear until now

No Cookies | The Advertiser

Thank god Peter killed himself & didn't go on to live his his life like the murderer who murdered 10 family members as in this story did...............

Mass murderer Clifford Bartholomew’s secret life since leaving jail revealed by survivor who lived in fear until now

No Cookies | The Advertiser
And that is behind a paywall. I don't want to read one article and pay for it.

Yep, the good old daily mail..................I found this article from the journo who wrote this story's twitter & was having a go at the daily mail journo for basically stealing & reporting his work..........so wrong & I don't know why they get away with it.............time after time!!

Craig Cook (@craigcook3) | Twitter

Funerals held for Margaret River shooting victims

Margaret River murders: Funeral for family held in Bunbury

Two funerals? I guess maybe the two families could not even get together for that.
Sounds as if one family wanted to honour them all, and one family wanted to honour just those who meant something to them. Seems appropriate for each family, though.

What a sad day it must have been. Laying all those innocents to rest. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back