OH - Raymond Fife, 12, abducted & murdered, Warren, 10 Sept 1985

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
WARREN - Convicted killer Danny Lee Hill, who argues he should not be put to death because he is mentally retarded, acted as his own attorney in filing a legal request for an investigation into how his appeal is being handled.

Hill filed the motion earlier this month, alleging the case has been handled in a racially discriminatory manner. He also seeks an extension for his appeal, but the motion fails to state why an extension is needed. Trumbull County Assistant Prosecutor LuWayne Annos said the motion will be recycled and used for their argument that Hill is not mentally retarded and should be put to death as he was sentenced. The motion, Annos said, shows his "self directiveness,'' and that Hill knows how to look out for his own best interests, meaning the action is not consistent with mental retardation.

"It's already part of the record and by the post-conviction statute, the judge is required to look at the entire record and now Mr. Hill has made this part of the entire record,'' Annos said.

She said that in previous motions Hill filed on his own behalf, there was a disclaimer on the document detailing that someone had assisted in preparing the document; however, the two-page Dec. 17 petition does not include the disclaimer.

Hill's attorney, Gregory Meyers of the state public defender's office and a leading expert on capital cases, declined to comment Tuesday afternoon.

Hill was convicted for the Sept. 10, 1985, murder of Raymond Fife, 12, who was beaten, sexually tortured, strangled with his underwear, set afire and left for dead after Hill and 17-year-old Timothy Combs attacked Raymond while he was riding his bike to a Boy Scout meeting.

Hill, now 38, is awaiting a decision in his recent hearing that he be spared from execution because he is mentally retarded, also known as an Atkins claim. The hearing resulted after the Supreme Court ruled that executing the mentally retarded is cruel. Final arguments on Hill's Atkins claim are not scheduled until March 18.

http://www.tribune-chronicle.com/news/story/1229202004_new05killer29.asp

The defense team for death row inmate Danny Lee Hill has asked Judge Thomas P. Curran to remove himself from hearing Hill's post-conviction case.

The lawyers say in their motion that Judge Curran has acquired "extrajudicial knowledge of facts" important to Hill's case by presiding over a dispute involving Dr. Douglas Darnall's license to practice psychology over this summer.

Dr. Darnall had given an opinion on the mental status of Hill when Hill was 17.
http://www.vindy.com/content/local_regional/297860984618527.php

Is Hill known to be retarded or did he just get that way after this new ruling became law? I'm sure that he will have to be tested to prove it one way or the other. Can't they just do an IQ test?

Sounds to me like the guy doesn't want to die. I wonder if his victim felt the same way :furious: I doubt that his victim got to voice an opinion though.
I'm so sick of hearing these killers scream about their rights.

Bobbisangel said:
Is Hill known to be retarded or did he just get that way after this new ruling became law? I'm sure that he will have to be tested to prove it one way or the other. Can't they just do an IQ test?

Sounds to me like the guy doesn't want to die. I wonder if his victim felt the same way :furious: I doubt that his victim got to voice an opinion though.
I'm so sick of hearing these killers scream about their rights.

Me too. I am so over the loopholes and their aberrant behavior to get these cases overlooked or overturned. I just can't say enough. It is becoming so ludicrous.

Still at it in April 2014:

http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/apr/17/ag-appeals-court-should-deny-new-trial-t/

The Ohio Attorney General’s office says the U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals should deny a request for hiring attorneys to argue that Warren murderer Danny Lee Hill should get a new trial for the 1985 torture and mutilation killing of 12-year-old Raymond Fife...

Hill, 47, was sentenced to death in 1986 after a trial in Trumbull County Common Pleas Court. Combs is serving a life sentence and was not eligible for the death penalty because he was a juvenile at the time of the crime.

On Monday, attorneys representing Danny Lee Hill filed a motion seeking for another trial in connection with the 1985 kidnapping, rape and murder of Raymond Fife.

Attorneys for the 49-year-old Hill argue that new evidence was discovered that they say would impact Hill's right to a fair trial.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif](...)[/FONT]

Visiting Judge Patricia Cosgrove has scheduled a hearing for June 21, when she is expected to set a date to hear arguments on Hill's petition for a new trial
http://www.wfmj.com/story/32213935/...her-trial-for-rape-murder-of-warren-boy-scout

State prosecutors plan to appeal child murder case to US Supreme Court

A mother, who spent more than three decades trying to get justice for her murdered son, says she just learned the Ohio Attorney General’s office will ask the U.S. Supreme Court to hear her son’s case.

“I am relieved,” Miriam Fife said. “If we didn’t take it as far as we could we would always question if things could have changed.”

The Federal Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in February the man convicted of killing Fife’s 12-year-old son, Raymond, should not be put to death because his I.Q. is too low.

State prosecutors plan to appeal child murder case to US Supreme Court

A mother, who spent more than three decades trying to get justice for her murdered son, says she just learned the Ohio Attorney General’s office will ask the U.S. Supreme Court to hear her son’s case.

“I am relieved,” Miriam Fife said. “If we didn’t take it as far as we could we would always question if things could have changed.”

The Federal Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in February the man convicted of killing Fife’s 12-year-old son, Raymond, should not be put to death because his I.Q. is too low.

Miriam deserves some closure. She is one classy lady. Worked for years as a victim's advocate, was ours in our case... she was so appalled by what the perp and his family were putting us (kids+me) through that she even gave me her private phone number to reach her whenever I needed. That's just how big her heart is. She doesn't deserve any of these shenanigans. I hope the Supreme Court will hear Raymond's case!

Tim Combs, co-killer of Raymond Fife, dies in prison

"Timothy A. Combs, who along with Danny Lee Hill was convicted of killing a 12-year old boy in Warren in 1985, has died in prison, the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Corrections says.

Combs, 50, died in Franklin County Nov. 9, the Franklin County Coroner’s Office said today. "

Tim Combs, co-killer of Raymond Fife, dies in prison

The 11th District Court of Appeals has affirmed a ruling that killer Danny Lee Hill, 51. cannot have a new trial on the grounds that bite mark evidence used at his 1986 trial has since been found unreliable.

Judge Curran said Hill’s attorney failed to show that removing the bite mark evidence linking Hill to the September 1985 murder, torture, rape and kidnapping of Raymond Fife, 12, would change the outcome in a new trial.

Hill is still waiting to hear whether the U.S. Supreme Court will review a decision from a federal judge that takes away Hill’s death penalty related to Hill’s claims of intellectual disability.

Bite mark ruling means no new Danny Lee Hill trial

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back