CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw... am I the only person who just assumed the DNA sample L.E. had in evidence from one of the EAR victims was what was used to link him to the subsequent murders he committed? Oh, sorry... allegedly committed! Sounds like your basic detective work to me. The touch-DNA collected by L.E. from his car door handle in the hobby store parking lot, and from a Kleenex in his trash can in front of his house was just to confirm, right?
the DNA they used came from one of the murder scenes, same DNA used to link the murders together (in the late 90's or early 2000s). It's that same DNA that was fed into the GED database a number of months ago and narrowed it down to one family, they followed that lead to DeAngelo.. to confirm it was infact DeAngelo the first sample they took was off the door handle of his car in a public parking lot, the second match was the day before he was arrested from a tissue in his trash..

the DNA they used came from one of the murder scenes, same DNA used to link the murders together (in the late 90's or early 2000s). It's that same DNA that was fed into the GED database a number of months ago and narrowed it down to one family, they followed that lead to DeAngelo.. to confirm it was infact DeAngelo the first sample they took was off the door handle of his car in a public parking lot, the second match was the day before he was arrested from a tissue in his trash..
Oh, I see. I thought Det. Holes had said that the DNA uploaded to the genealogy website was from one of the rape victims in Contra Costa. Thanks for the clarification. But considering DeAngelo raped his female murder victims from SoCal, I assume his DNA was also at the murder scenes to be collected by L.E.. I just thought the sample used was from one of the Contra Costa cases because it was said to be a pristine sample. My comment about pubes being collected and taken into evidence was (I think) standard operating procedure for L.E. back then, no? Heck, it still may be for all I know.

Last edited:
Oh, I see. I thought Det. Holes had said that the DNA uploaded to the genealogy website was from one of the rape victims in Contra Costa. Thanks for the clarification. But considering DeAngelo raped his female murder victims from SoCal, I assume his DNA was also at the murder scenes to be collected by L.E.. I just thought the sample used was from one of the Contra Costa cases because it was said to be a pristine sample. My comment about pubes being collected and taken into evidence was (I think) standard operating procedure for L.E. back then, no? Heck, it still may be for all I know.
i had not heard of that but anything is possible and the would make sense it was pristine because there was not a lot of DNA testing going on back in the 80's, it was just gaining momentum as a tool for LE... I do know for a fact that the original tying the crimes together (in the late 90's early 2000s) came from the murder scene DNA.

Warrants in Golden State Killer case raise possibility of storage locker filled with 'trophies'
“Without the souvenir, some serial killers may not even be sure that they had acted upon their fantasy,” Peter Vronsky writes in “Serial Killers: The Method and Madness of Monsters.” “Others use the souvenir to perpetuate the pleasure and excitement they sparked during the murder.”

Cold-case investigator Paul Holes, who was a key player in the arrest of DeAngelo, has also floated the idea of the suspect using trophies to relive his crimes years later.

So is there a hidden storage unit somewhere?

Law enforcement believes there might be.

“Based on my training and experience, your affiant is aware that suspects will frequently use storage facilities/units to store items take during the course of their criminal activity,” records indicate.

DeAngelo "accumulated a considerable amount of personal property from his victims, much of this property taken as trophies,” it continues. "It is your affiant’s belief the suspect would maintain the stolen items over the years; thereby, keeping them in an offsite location like a storage unit.”

I thought so too, but I think the confusion comes from the fact that Holes is from Costa Contra County, but he found the pristine dna in Ventura county...

To Catch a Killer: A Fake Profile on a DNA Site and a Pristine Sample
An investigator with the Contra Costa County district attorney’s office and an F.B.I. lawyer worked together for several months, submitting the genetic profile of a DNA sample recovered from a 1980 murder to a genealogy website,

(article backtracks a bit)
Eventually, Mr. Holes learned of a never-touched DNA sample from a 37-year-old murder in Ventura County that was sitting in a freezer. The medical examiner in Ventura at the time, Claus P. Speth, made a habit of producing duplicate rape kits, one for the investigation and one stored for later, just in case.

I thought so too, but I think the confusion comes from the fact that Holes is from Costa Contra County, but he found the pristine dna in Ventura county...

An investigator with the Contra Costa County district attorney’s office and an F.B.I. lawyer worked together for several months, submitting the genetic profile of a DNA sample recovered from a 1980 murder to a genealogy website,

Eventually, Mr. Holes learned of a never-touched DNA sample from a 37-year-old murder in Ventura County that was sitting in a freezer. The medical examiner in Ventura at the time, Claus P. Speth, made a habit of producing duplicate rape kits, one for the investigation and one stored for later, just in case.
aha that answers that.. Thanks Gussified!

When i asked, this was posted earlier in the thread by GC about which DNA was uploaded to GEDmatch. Ventura isn't mentioned.

This has been one of the most well-known parts of the case for the past 17 years at least. Hunting a Predator, Sudden Terror, I'll Be Gone In the Dark all mentioned it repeatedly. Any of the TV documentaries - Cold Case Files, Golden State Killer - It's Not Over, Unmasking a Killer, they ALL feature Mary Hong talking about this scenario.

There were 49 EAR attacks.

Because the statute of limitations expired all DNA evidence was meant to have been thrown out - there is a limit to storage space and they can't simply store the thousands and thousands of pieces of evidence relating to crimes which can no longer be prosecuted.

Mary Hong found three duplicate kits in Contra Costa County - they were supposed to have been thrown out long before but had accidentally survived in storage. She was able to conclusively prove for the first time what the investigators had always known - that the same man had committed the three rapes in question.

There is no DNA evidence in any of the other 46 EAR cases, across all the jurisdictions.

The only three EAR attacks which DNA exists for are:

Attack 39 in San Ramon (October 28th 1978)
Attack 42 in Danville (December 9th 1978)
Attack 46 in Danville (November 6th 1979)

You will not find one link that will give you all this information, I have listed some of the many places you can find parts of the story above.

A ha! Thanks for further clarification. I do remember now that it was Ventura. I think I remember that the sample was actually a duplicate that was created at the time, which saved the day as the original was eventually tossed some time after the S.O.L. had expired.

In a parking lot this evening I overheard an older man complaining to someone about a car...but it turned out he was mumbling to himself about the person next to him God d#!m parking job and taking up two spots (which was not the case, all cars were parked absolutely fine) and he basically had a whole angry conversation with himself about this car. Cursing and all.
If he hadn't seen me standing there last minute I'm sure he would have keyed, kicked or spit on the car. The mumbling and angrness gave me a good visual of how neighbors described JJD's behavior. A real display over something he perceived to see that actually wasn't. Strange...
Also if I hadn't had a clear view of him I would have reported to the police that he was taking to someone. Sound familiar??

I think I get where the confusion’s coming from. I even had to go back and remind myself. ... :)

OK, so the rapes were tied to the murders in 2011 via DNA from a surviving rape kit. (Combining EAR and ONS.)

PDF warning (SacBee story): http://www.coldcase-earons.com/2001-04-05.pdf

Contra Costa authorities again heard about the case and asked for a DNA profile, this time using comparable technologies, Holes said. The DNA from the East Bay rapes matched the DNA from Orange County.

That said,

DNA from the rape and murder of Charlene and Lyman Smith seems to be what was used in the undercover GEDmatch profile:

To find alleged Golden State Killer, investigators first found his great-great-great-grandparents

Holes and an FBI lawyer found a partner in Ventura County last summer. A meticulous pathologist had put a duplicate evidence kit from the rape and murder of Charlene and Lyman Smith in a freezer in 1980. Many other DNA samples from the case had been depleted over the years.”

I'm still confused. The Ventura Smith murder DNA would still have been preserved due to no SOL on murder. But the dupe rape kit was in Orange which matched the Smith case? Have I got it now?

I think I get where the confusion’s coming from. I even had to go back and remind myself. ... :)

OK, so the rapes were tied to the murders in 2011 via DNA from a surviving rape kit. (Combining EAR and ONS.)

Contra Costa authorities again heard about the case and asked for a DNA profile, this time using comparable technologies, Holes said. The DNA from the East Bay rapes matched the DNA from Orange County.

That said,

DNA from the rape and murder of Charlene and Lyman Smith seems to be what was used in the undercover GEDmatch profile:

To find alleged Golden State Killer, investigators first found his great-great-great-grandparents

Holes and an FBI lawyer found a partner in Ventura County last summer. A meticulous pathologist had put a duplicate evidence kit from the rape and murder of Charlene and Lyman Smith in a freezer in 1980. Many other DNA samples from the case had been depleted over the years.”

Last edited:
<snipped>
<snipped>
I think you meant 2001.
<snipped>
bbm

This makes it sound like the DNA in the other rapes had not been destroyed but rather depleted.

There's a lot of storage units in Citrus heights, let alone Sacramento, proper?

JJD
Google Maps

storage units Citrus Heights
Google Maps
There are tons of them. LE would have to inquire at hundreds of them. I have one in Roseville that had two other ones right next to it. I’m sure they have his financial records to see if he paid storage fees monthly through his checking or credit card accounts. On the other hand if he paid in cash then the person who monitors the storage facility would recognize him from coming in monthly to pay in cash.

That said,

Claus P. Speth, the "meticulous pathologist" in Ventura County, routinely made two rape kits. One was kept frozen. Because of this practice, Det. Holes had the "pristine" (frozen) DNA sample to upload to GEDmatch. When GEDmatch matched the sample to a profile of a distant relative (distant cousin IIRC), LE then had to trace the family tree up to a common relative (great-great grandparent, IIRC) and then down the tree to identify living relatives of the approximate age of the suspect and living in or near the California cities in which the crimes occurred during the time period in which they occurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member