Identified! MI - Covert Township, WhtFem 730UFMI, 23-40, Near I-96, Oct'88 - Marcia Bateman

That's a beautiful picture, Suzanne. Please let us know what the LE contact says.
I will.If they do not have DNA on this Jane Doe it might take a long time to see if there is a match.

I will.If they do not have DNA on this Jane Doe it might take a long time to see if there is a match.

On the UID's profile it says DNA is available but not yet submitted. The profile hasn't been updated since the end of July, maybe they do have it now...

Here's a new NamUs MP case out of Michigan.

Margie Ann Ranshaw

2667126100045078242S200x200Q851.jpg

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/14788/3

The heights are a little off. But I am a little suspicious of the accuracy of the Jane Doe's height estimate. She was originally listed at 55 inches (i.e., 4'7"), and then when I e-mailed them to say that this was quite short for an adult female, they changed it to 60 inches (i.e., 5'0"). If they had originally meant to say 5 feet 5 inches, and mistated it as 55 inches, then the heights would be consistent.

Aside from that - the age, circumstances, location, and timeframe are pretty consistent, and she has a reasonable resemblance to the recon.

730UFMI2.jpg

Margie Ann Ranshaw

The heights are a little off. But I am a little suspicious of the accuracy of the Jane Doe's height estimate. She was originally listed at 55 inches (i.e., 4'7"), and then when I e-mailed them to say that this was quite short for an adult female, they changed it to 60 inches (i.e., 5'0"). If they had originally meant to say 5 feet 5 inches, and mistated it as 55 inches, then the heights would be consistent.

Aside from that - the age, circumstances, location, and timeframe are pretty consistent, and she has a reasonable resemblance to the recon.

730UFMI2.jpg

I would say to submit her, you and me both know how they can be wrong whe it comes to heights of both the missing and the UID's.

I would say to submit her, you and me both know how they can be wrong whe it comes to heights of both the missing and the UID's.

I just e-mailed Trooper Krebs to ask if this possible match is (or was) on their radar.

Margie's nose at the base seems a little broader but the reconstructions have a harder time making the noses accurate. Other than that, I think she has a pretty strong resemblence.

Margie Ann Ranshaw

730UFMI2.jpg

I just e-mailed Trooper Krebs to ask if this possible match is (or was) on their radar.

Reply from Trooper Krebs:

Carl, we are getting DNA on Margie's side now. The case is new to us, the UP DNA is already at UNT.

DNA is available for Ranshaw and the UID so I am assuming she was ruled out.

Just a little BUMP!! for her. This case is been bothering me forever. I live 2 exits off I-96 where the possible match, Margie's car was found. I know the hotel very well. This is the first I have heard about Margie's case. The UID does resemble her. I hope they get this one on the DNA soon. Looking for possible matches now... Will post later...

Reactions: byo
I have been pondering this one forever because she was found close to home. Margie seems a good match to this doe. I was thinking regarding locations in Margie's case. Where Doe was found in Van Buren Township, If you take freeway I-96 the long way around it is still a good hour, hour 30 min. cruise between where Margie's car was found and where UID was found. It is also an odd route between the two. No real direct way to go but to cut some odd roads to the freeways. I can't ponder a reason why the killer would choose those 2 locations unless maybe he lived in Van Buren Township and was out in the Howell area. Stranger things have happened. I hope she gets her name back, id like to see this one get solved.

Just found this thread. I had wondered if this woman was Cindy Moore (missing since 1985 from Troy, Michigan, a 2-3 hour drive across the state) but the contact at NamUs indicated that Cindy has apparently been eliminated.

I also wondered about the odd estimated postmortem interval of two months, yet the year of death being listed as 1985 to 1988. Is that a clerical error?

Juddging by the reconstruction, this woman did seem to have a distinctive hairstyle. Could her hair have been colored blonde, rather than naturally blonde?

At least one woman reported missing 1988 is listed as blonde, but no photo is avalable--Elizabeth R. Bodor. http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3221dffl.htm (I'm not a big fan of the Orange County Sheriff's office--it doesn't surprise me that they're not giving the public much info on this possible foul play victim.)

Earlier this month, I came across another possible match for this woman--Helen Ann Morgan.

From my notes: The female remains recovered in Van Buren County, Michigan in October of 1988 were of a white female, ages 23-40, with brown hair. She was estimated to have stood five feet tall and to have died between 1985-1988.
Helen Ann Morgan was last seen in Lamar County, Georgia on 5/13/84. She was 26, had brown hair, and stood 5'7" tall.

There are some discrepancies, primarily her height and perhaps the estimated time of death. Still, it strikes me that the Jane Doe's hair is described as brown (like Helen Morgan's hair) despite her hair appearing blonde in the forensic reconstruction.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/case_report_html/539

That's strange. It says 2 months as the postmortem interval, but then says that estimated time of death is 1985-1988.

I did just send an e-mail to Trooper Krebs, Rose Sacchetti, and Norman Sauer.

I see later in this thread a possible available DNA or dental availability. Shirley Jo Kelly was my aunt who went missing. I don't believe she was originally from Michigan as my grandma lived in Alabama. We could possibly figure out dental if there is someone to contact? I don't believe the extended family was aware of this body found at that time. Thanks email jessicab18.jb@gmail.com

Who is '196 Jane?' MSP release new art to help solve 1988 cold case death

Michigan State Police detectives are hoping to solve a mysterious 1988 cold case death with new artistic renderings and findings.

The skeletal remains of a woman, only known as '196 Jane' were discovered on Oct. 12, 1988, just along I-196 at County Road 378 in Van Buren County. Detectives believe 196 Jane died between April and August, before her remains were found by a hunter.

New evidence gathered from her remains show 196 Jane had signs of osteopenia, a precursor to osteoporosis. According to MSP, osteopenia can be caused by drinking a lot of alcohol, smoking, eating disorders, long-time steroid use, vitamin deficiencies and teen pregnancy

Can you help solve this 30 year old mystery

This is about as frosty as cold case murders come. Michigan State Police at the Paw Paw Post are now soliciting the public’s help to identify a woman who was only skeletal remains when she was found in October, 1988 along I-196 near Covert in Van Buren County.

Her official designation is “196 Jane”. They believe she had died or been killed between April and August of that year.

They have been able to determine some facts from the condition of her skeleton, including that she had given birth at least once, and that she was between 18 and 30 years old when she died.

She was about 5’ tall, weighed 100 pounds and had brown or blonde hair.

The woman had good oral hygiene but may not have been to a dentist in a few years. There was no clothing or identification found at the site.

MSP: 'DNA is perfect' to help solve cold case

Now, Michigan State Police forensic artists have created a new batch of renderings hoping someone will recognize the woman and put a name to a face. Also, with the passage of time, technology has changed and new clues have come to light.

"DNA is the best. You know, used to be you'd use fingerprints,” explained Scott Ernstes, detective and sergeant with the Michigan State Police. “Well, she's a skeleton, we don't have fingerprints. We do have dental in there from an X-ray, but that requires the other side of the missing to have had dental X-rays on file or recovered them.

“DNA is perfect, because it's mom, dad, sister, brother, aunt, uncle. Anybody gets a swab, we send it, we profile it and it gets put in and searched automatically."

Ernstes says 196 Jane had light brown or brownish hair, was around 5 feet tall and weighed about 100 pounds. Investigators believe 196 Jane was between 18 and 30 years old and had at least one child.

They also determined she had a precursor to Osteoporosis, a rarity for someone her age.

"We're hoping some family member out there can say, ‘Well, my aunt had something similar to that,’ and they will reach out,” Ernstes said.

Michigan State Police trying new approach to identify a Jane Doe found in 1988

After 30 years of failed attempts to identify the remains of a woman found near Interstate 196 near Covert, investigators with the Michigan State Police say they might have their best chance yet at finally putting a name to the bones.

Ernstes said now, thanks to a private donor, he will be able to work with a genealogy service to try what he considers a promising new approach at identifying 196 Jane.

"I can't think of anything worse than being a parent of a loved, anybody out there, and not knowing what happened to your family member," Ernstes said.

He said after three decades, genealogy might be the key to identifying 196 Jane. They've tried normal DNA matching, media blasts, and he said nothing has worked so far.
---
Ernstes planed to ship 196 Jane's femur to the genealogy service Thursday.

There they'll use bone marrow to develop a DNA profile and start searching databases for any and all family who have also submitted DNA for genealogy reports at anytime in the past.

Michigan State Police trying new approach to identify a Jane Doe found in 1988

(I wonder if they are referring to DNA Doe Project or Parabon)

I'm trying to get a hold of LE now to see if they are getting DNA on this Jane Doe.I think she looks a little like this picture of my sister Tammy.

securedownload-1.jpg

I want this Jane Doe checked with her.

This may sound like a dumb question but is your sister Tammy missing?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back