Wayne Millard Murder Trial - Dellen Millard Charged With Murder - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
perhaps small wine bottle are the regular size you would get in a restaurant when ordering a bottle of wine..or the ones those of us who bottle our own would use. LCBO also sell the larger ones, not sure of size but costs like $22.00 plus???
they sell the little bottles of wine (1 glass per bottle) in the states. I love them as I am not really a drinker but sometimes just want 1 glass of wine. Also, they are very cheap, a 4-pack for like $4 -5 depending on the make.

71yr old wealthy gentleman curled up in bed as if asleep with a bullet wound to his eye.

His 27yr old only son, roommate, heir and business partner called his mother, the gentleman's long past ex wife and waited for her to show up and call 911. He did not seem upset or distressed when first responders showed up or any time after that. In contrast, his mother did.

He did not seem distraught at all in that taped interview. He was weaving one of his elaborate tales.

We've yet to hear of whether anyone else who was mentioned, like any of WM's business partners whom he spent his last day with, were interviewed about the financial distress claims but we already know that the last person to talk to him was not.

Did they contact WM's doctor? Lawyer? Anyone? We don't know what the housekeeper's statement says but I believe it's from the preliminary. Nothing from Nov 2012?

This case was effectively closed within 2 days of finding the body. Is that how all gunshot victims who "may" have shot themselves are dealt with? The shot was from an illegal firearm for cripes sake!

MOO
Agreed, and frankly, as horrible as it would be, if I were a family member of a person who died under those conditions, I would expect every little thing to be checked out, and it is only right that every little thing should be checked out. As a family member I would *want* to know for *sure* what happened, even if it was one of my own family members who may have caused the death.

This isn't exactly a case where the situation even seems obvious, starting with the weapon itself. I am appalled to consider how many murders may go undetected. Family members can gently and humanely be told it's just protocol that things must be checked out fully, since, after all, surely they want the truth. Sometimes it goes the other way, where family do NOT believe it's suicide. Perhaps there are families where one or more family members may suspect something, but yet not want to throw another family member under the bus to be investigated, and so they keep quiet. To investigate fully works both ways. To me, the only person it would hurt to check things out properly, would be someone who was guilty of something sinister.. anyone else just has to live with the results - it's not often that we get to choose how our loved ones die, and even when they die in a hospital, things are checked out. moo.

It was said that the housekeeper had left food for WM on his desk.... which room was his desk in?? Wasn't his desk in his bedroom?

I think in the taped statement DM seems to be stalling or wasting time by acting naive and "boring" for lack of better words. Maybe by taking up the time without animation he is hoping they say to themselves there is nothing to see with him and his regards.

Agreed, and frankly, as horrible as it would be, if I were a family member of a person who died under those conditions, I would expect every little thing to be checked out, and it is only right that every little thing should be checked out. As a family member I would *want* to know for *sure* what happened, even if it was one of my own family members who may have caused the death.

This isn't exactly a case where the situation even seems obvious, starting with the weapon itself. I am appalled to consider how many murders may go undetected. Family members can gently and humanely be told it's just protocol that things must be checked out fully, since, after all, surely they want the truth. Sometimes it goes the other way, where family do NOT believe it's suicide. Perhaps there are families where one or more family members may suspect something, but yet not want to throw another family member under the bus to be investigated, and so they keep quiet. To investigate fully works both ways. To me, the only person it would hurt to check things out properly, would be someone who was guilty of something sinister.. anyone else just has to live with the results - it's not often that we get to choose how our loved ones die, and even when they die in a hospital, things are checked out. moo.

That reminds me of the Sherman deaths. The police intially said it was a murder-suicide but the family fought hard for the police to investigate further. Things are not always what they seem.

This is what I have never understood about this case. The gun isn’t legal in Canada. Did none of the TPS know this?
Even if they thought it was a suicide why didn’t they try to find out how an illegal gun got into the house.

Sure they did.....6 months the later! :rolleyes:

I wonder if this is the only reason why they didn’t close the case right away. I believe it was “still an open case” before DM was charge for WM death.

MOO

they sell the little bottles of wine (1 glass per bottle) in the states. I love them as I am not really a drinker but sometimes just want 1 glass of wine. Also, they are very cheap, a 4-pack for like $4 -5 depending on the make.

We have them here in Canada as well. I purchase a few for my Event to raffle off for the wine drinkers. I think I paid $5-6 each

That reminds me of the Sherman deaths. The police intially said it was a murder-suicide but the family fought hard for the police to investigate further. Things are not always what they seem.
Exactly. Another case I followed where the determination was 'suicide', but it just doesn't add up at all, is Jessica Rowe. There are often cases where suicides are later discovered to have been murders. We, as the public, have to trust that police are dotting their i's and crossing their t's, but we really have no way of knowing whether that actually happens. I'll bet there are many more murders that were determined to be suicides, which haven't been discovered yet. moo
The Seven Major Mistakes in Suicide Investigation
Staged Crime Scenes: Suicide, Murder or Disappearance?

There are often cases where suicides are later discovered to have been murders. We, as the public, have to trust that police are dotting their i's and crossing their t's, but we really have no way of knowing whether that actually happens. I'll bet there are many more murders that were determined to be suicides, which haven't been discovered yet. moo
The Seven Major Mistakes in Suicide Investigation
Staged Crime Scenes: Suicide, Murder or Disappearance?

Thank you for these very interesting links.

I’m quite surprised at this probability bulls***. You would think (hope?) that even a 1% suspicion that it WASNT suicide would lead to a more intense investigation. This must be good news for murderers in Toronto - seems like all you have to do is a half/arsed job of making it look like suicide and if the investigators think there’s a 60 % chance it was suicide then you’re off scot free.

Except the Sherman case was on the radar from Day One and in international headlines. That has a huge effect.

No one had heard of Wayne Millard's death until Dellen was arrested. Even the Millardair team thought he died of a brain aneurysm.

That's a significant difference.

I’m quite surprised at this probability bulls***. You would think (hope?) that even a 1% suspicion that it WASNT suicide would lead to a more intense investigation. This must be good news for murderers in Toronto - seems like all you have to do is a half/arsed job of making it look like suicide and if the investigators think there’s a 60 % chance it was suicide then you’re off scot free.
Yeah, it's bizarre. The coroner is a scientist and he's talking like a lawyer.

After 3 trials, esp via the Laura Babcock trial, seem to be "getting to know" Dellen a lot more than I would prefer.
Watching / listening to him in the WM police interview, he just really annoyed me. We have the benefit of hindsight, which the police did not have at the time. The trials being in the reverse order to the murders... I can't help but think of the lives that could have been saved if Dellen had been caught in the WM murder.

After 3 trials, esp via the Laura Babcock trial, seem to be "getting to know" Dellen a lot more than I would prefer.
Watching / listening to him in the WM police interview, he just really annoyed me. We have the benefit of hindsight, which the police did not have at the time. The trials being in the reverse order to the murders... I can't help but think of the lives that could have been saved if Dellen had been caught in the WM murder.

All the Toronto Police had to do was talk to the guy to whom Laura made her last eight phone calls.

Except the Sherman case was on the radar from Day One and in international headlines. That has a huge effect.

No one had heard of Wayne Millard's death until Dellen was arrested. Even the Millardair team thought he died of a brain aneurysm.

I agree completely. The Sherman deaths were a really big deal, but even though it was on the radar right from the beginning the police seemed very resistant to investigating it as a double murder. There was no sign of forced entry so they just came to the conclusion that it must be murder suicide. It was the family that really pushed for further investigation. I just thought of their case because we were discussing how some families don’t want police investigating further and some families do. The Sherman case was definitely unique because it at first appeared to be both a murder and a suicide but it just popped into my head because of how strongly the family responded. In the end, I think most people just want the police to do what they need to do to investigate, even if it means inconveniencing grieving family. I think it can be done in a sensitive way, IMO.

Yeah, it's bizarre. The coroner is a scientist and he's talking like a lawyer.
I can get it how a coroner/scientist/doctor could deal in percentages.. they do it every day.. ie they will try to rule out the most obvious diagnosis before proceeding further into some less likely illness.. and their knowledge and experience plays a large part in what they do... BUT, if a death is only 60-70% sure to be a suicide, one would HOPE that would prompt further investigation by whichever means are available? Why drop the ball and just call it a suicide, and only one-two days later (body found evening of Nov 29th, body didn't get to the morgue until the wee hours of November 30th, and only one day later, on Dec 1st, the determination was suicide, even though it was only a 60-70% probability)? What was the rush? Why not ask investigators some questions and have them do a bit more investigation.. do a few more tests, etc? Get GSR samples from everyone there that night. Find out where the gun came from for sure. See if the positioning really makes sense. Was the victim even left handed? Talk to the people he last spoke with. Etc.... etc.... etc.... Do people always end up hating their jobs so much that they're just happy to get tasks off of their plates? Just doesn't make sense, and especially when we're talking about a human life, and possible justice. I sure hope there is lots more evidence to suggest murder, because so far, it seems those testifying may *still* believe it was a suicide (other than the one detective)!

I forgot that the people at Millardair thought it was an aneurism. I’m curious to know more details about that. Didn’t Dellen also go into work the next day and make some big changes to the business? I will have to go back and read about that. I wonder if all of that will come up in this trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MambeuX