GUILTY Ca - Becky Friedli, 18, Vicki, 53, & Jon Hayward, 55, Slain, Palm Desert, 17 Sep 2006

Jeremy Chen‏ @JeremyChenKESQ
Pape guilty of 1st degree murder for Jon Hayward. Smith guilty of 1st degree murder for Hayward as well.

To recap: Robert Pape and Cristin Smith found guilty of murdering Jon Hayward and Vicki Friedli. Pape found guilty of killing Becky Friedli.

1. Kitty Alvarado‏ @HeyKitty 4m4 minutes ago
    Jurors excused

0 replies0 retweets1 like

2. Kitty Alvarado‏ @HeyKitty 5m5 minutes ago
    You could hear sobbing and gasps as first count of Becky Friedli was read #PinyonPines

DfIGnGeVMAAOm4O.jpg

0 replies1 retweet0 likes

3. Kitty Alvarado‏ @HeyKitty 10m10 minutes ago
    Smith guilty of first degree murder of Vicki Friedli and Jon Hayward #PinyonPines

1 reply3 retweets2 likes

4. Kitty Alvarado‏ @HeyKitty 11m11 minutes ago
    Pape guilty of multiple murders special circumstance applies

0 replies2 retweets1 like

5. Kitty Alvarado‏ @HeyKitty 12m12 minutes ago
    Pape found guilty of first degree murder of Vicki Friedli and Jon Hayward

0 replies2 retweets1 like

6. Kitty Alvarado‏ @HeyKitty 14m14 minutes ago
    Smith not guilty of first degree murder Becky Friedli, not guilty of second degree murder

0 replies4 retweets2 likes

7. Kitty Alvarado‏ @HeyKitty 14m14 minutes ago
    Pape guilty of second degree murder of Becky Friedli

0 replies4 retweets2 likes

8. Kitty Alvarado‏ @HeyKitty 15m15 minutes ago
    Robert Pape found not guilty of first degree murder count one Becky Friedli #PinyonPines

It sounds like the jury believes they went there with no intent to kill but something happened and Becky was killed; then they killed the other two and set fires to cover up. That's why Becky is 2nd Degree (not premeditated) and the other two are 1st Degree (premeditated or intentional homicide).

That is, if the verdicts we've seen tweeted are accurate.

It sounds like the jury believes they went there with no intent to kill but something happened and Becky was killed; then they killed the other two and set fires to cover up. That's why Becky is 2nd Degree (not premeditated) and the other two are 1st Degree (premeditated or intentional homicide).

That is, if the verdicts we've seen tweeted are accurate.
Sadly, this makes sense to me. It explains the evidence, and the lack of obvious motive.
What a tragedy.

Pinyon Pines murder trial: Jury finds defendants guilty

"Jurors have reached guilty verdicts in the trial of two Cathedral City High School graduates accused of killing three people before setting their San Jacinto Mountain home on fire nearly 12 years ago.

The verdicts in the Pinyon Pines case were announced Thursday afternoon in a packed courtroom at the Riverside Hall of Justice, finally revealing the fate of Robert Pape and Cristin Smith.

Pape was found guilty of second degree murder in the Sept. 17, 2006 slaying of Rebecca "Becky" Friedli, 18. Pape and Smith were both found guilty of first degree murder in the slaying of Becky Friedli's mother, Vicki Friedli and her boyfriend Jon Hayward.

Both men could face life in prison without the possibility of parole. The sentencing is set for August 10....

“Justice in this case, in particular for the family and friends of Jon Hayward, Vicki Friedli, and Vicki’s daughter Becky, has been a long time coming,” District Attorney Mike Hestrin said. “It is clear that jurors were meticulous in their examination of the evidence in this complicated multiple defendant case and we are pleased with their verdicts. We hope the verdicts help in the healing process to those who knew the victims and to the Coachella Valley community as a whole.”

Deputy District Attorney Brandon Smith, one of the prosecutors, told reporters that the family has had to wait 12 years for justice. "I agree with 100 percent of the verdict ," he said.
Smith added: "I'm looking forward to looking in those family members' eyes and giving them a hug and asking them for forgiveness that it took this long."...

After the verdicts were read, Becky Fredli's father, Ron, told reporters that he's "gonna go party tonight" to celebrate the outcome of the case. "It's a good day," he said...."

Pinyon Pines murder trial: Jury finds defendants guilty
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeremy Chen‏ @JeremyChenKESQ 49m49 minutes ago
Pape guilty on second degree for Becky Friedli and Smith found not guilty. Special allegations found true for both. Clarification. #PinyonPines

Leticia Juarez‏ @ABC7Leticia 39m39 minutes ago
Special circumstance found to be true making Pape and Smith eligible for life without the possibility of parole. #PinyonPines verdict

Jeremy Chen‏ @JeremyChenKESQ 1h1 hour ago
Sentencing date: August 10 is being requested. Judge has granted the date. 8:30 a.m. #PinyonPines

Zak Dahlheimer‏ @ZakDahlheimer 34m34 minutes ago
“There is no justice, there is no closure,” Becky Friedli’s father, Ron Friedli, after Robert Pape and Cristin Smith were found guilty in the #PinyonPines triple murder trial

Riverside County DA's Office‏Verified account @RivCoDA 3m3 minutes ago
Jurors found two men guilty of 1st-degree murder for the 2006 murders of Jon Hayward & Vicki Friedli, & one of the men was also convicted of 2nd-degree murder in the death of Vicki’s daughter Becky at the family’s #PinyonPines home. See release here: http://bit.ly/2sFmUlo

http://rivcoda.org/opencms/system/g...6_murders_of_three_people_in_Pinyon_Pines.pdf
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the verdicts were read, Becky Fredli's father, Ron, told reporters that he's "gonna go party tonight" to celebrate the outcome of the case. "It's a good day," he said...."

Party hard Ron.:)
You have been through Hell.
Can't wait to hear from Becky's sister.
Now probably the 'rotten appeal stuff': at least these guys will be in prison.
Hope they have lots of interesting experiences in prison. :D:D:D

Hey all!

I see waking up this morning that the verdict was delivered at 1am my time. I was definitely fast asleep.

The next day for verdict isn't so bad.... I am in suspense readying your posts! :)

Thank you for ALL the tweets! I couldn't have done better! LOL!

See you all back here August 10th!

Attorney of Man Convicted in Pinyon Pines Murders Says It’s Not Over

from Article said:
“Extreme Disappointment, probably one of the disappointing verdicts I‘ve been involved in in the last forty years of practice,” says John Patrick Dolan of Dolan Law Offices, who represented Cristin Smith in the trial.
[.....]
Dolan says they weren’t allowed to present their version of events, “The judge prevented us from presenting evidence on who else it could have been,” he says adding he thinks two potential suspects went unnoticed, “Javier Garcia, Jacob Santiago both had relationships with her there were a handful of other individuals and the guy in the truck whoever that was seems to be a pretty serious suspect, never followed up on.”

EXCLUSIVE: Key witness in Pinyon Pines triple murder trial speaks out

Interview with Jeremy Witt, the controversial confidential informant turned key witness. Here’s my thoughts on Witt: is he an interesting character<modsnip>? Yes. But, if you were 18 and just made the biggest and most evil mistake of your life, who would you want to talk to about it? Your boss who has a perfect driving record, or someone who you know <modsnip> is going to be more open minded?

The number of people who believe in their innocence still astounds me. If you google search “pinyon pines” it wants to auto search “pinyon pines appeal”

Last edited by a moderator:
I kind of came into this case a bit late, but does anyone know why three men went to an 18 year old's home in the first place? If one of those men had an issue with her, why take two friends, if you are not there for nefarious purposes?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back