GUILTY FL - Jennifer Fulford, 56, Winter Park, 27 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

Tuesday, May 29th:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ 1:30pm ET) - FL - Jennifer Lynn Fulford (56) (Sept. 27, 2017) - Scott Edward Nelson (53) - charged with 1st degree murder, kidnapping, burglary, assault & battery, car jacking with deadly weapon, robbery & tampering with a witness. DP case. 2/13/18 found competent to stand trial. Continues to tomorrow 5/30. Trial starts 6/11. Hinted in a new letter to a judge that he has information about nearly a dozen other homicides.

Wednesday, May 30th:
*Pretrial Hearing continues (@ 1:30pm ET) - FL - Jennifer Lynn Fulford (56) (Sept. 27, 2017) - Scott Edward Nelson (53) - charged (12/5/17) with 1st degree murder, kidnapping, burglary, assault & battery, car jacking with deadly weapon, robbery & tampering with a witness. Plead not guilty. DP case. Trial was supposed to start 6/11.
Judge ordered Nelson to undergo a mental health evaluation in October. 2/13/18 found competent to stand trial. Hinted in a new letter to Judge that he has information about nearly a dozen other homicides.
5/29/18 Update: Case removed from trial docket (was scheduled for 6/11/18).

In court Tuesday...

The Judge did not say why proceedings will be delayed. Most of the roughly 15-minute-long hearing was held as a sidebar with attorneys. At the end, the Judge announced that the case will be taken off the trial docket and attorneys will meet to discuss various motions. He did not set future court dates.

Death penalty trial in Winter Park killing will be delayed

gaah-smiley.gif
I hate it when they don't give the next court date....

For the article you linked JerseyGirl
I get this message when I click on the article:
Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will provide all readers with our award-winning journalism.

Edited to add - at least I can get into this Florida court site! I'll keep my eyes open for any "new" dates.

I couldn't get into this link... I thought he was going for another competency hearing per DA request? I used to be able to get into the Orland Sentinel....
This all I can read - the clip from Google Alert

Orlando Sentinel - We are currently unavailable in your region

Scott Nelson not fit for trial in woman's Winter Park kidnap and killing, doctor says

A man accused of kidnapping a woman from her employer's Winter Park home and killing her is incompetent to stand trial a doctor who evaluated him ...

Last edited:
I couldn't get into this link... I thought he was going for another competency hearing per DA request? I used to be able to get into the Orland Sentinel....
This all I can read - the clip from Google Alert

Orlando Sentinel - We are currently unavailable in your region

Scott Nelson not fit for trial in woman's Winter Park kidnap and killing, doctor says

A man accused of kidnapping a woman from her employer's Winter Park home and killing her is incompetent to stand trial a doctor who evaluated him ...
Here's the link and another snippet:
Nelson in a letter to Circuit Judge Keith White demanded a speedy trial, which had been scheduled for June 11. But White pulled the trial off his docket after the doctor’s evaluation.

Here's the link and another snippet:
Nelson in a letter to Circuit Judge Keith White demanded a speedy trial, which had been scheduled for June 11. But White pulled the trial off his docket after the doctor’s evaluation.

Can't read that one either.... oh well.

But.... on my notes for 2/13/18 he was found competent to stand trial??!!! I'll have to go back & look at that again.... hoping it wasn't the Orlando Sentinel that was in! For some reason the EU have blocked a LOT of newspapers from coming thru over here! I do NOT like that!!! I feel like I'm "bothering" you all with stuff I can't see! :)

Here it is:

Man accused of killing Winter Park caregiver found competent for trial

from a February 13th article.

ORLANDO, Fla. - Scott Nelson, who is accused of kidnapping and killing a Winter Park caretaker, was found competent to stand trial Tuesday by the Bureau of Prisons and an independent Orlando doctor.

So I'm wondering "what" changed? Was it is letters to the Judge? I know the DA asked for another competency evaluation on the last hearing of 5/30, and it said on "Competency status" they had no report. What happened to the report from 2/13???

Here it is:

Man accused of killing Winter Park caregiver found competent for trial

from a February 13th article.

ORLANDO, Fla. - Scott Nelson, who is accused of kidnapping and killing a Winter Park caretaker, was found competent to stand trial Tuesday by the Bureau of Prisons and an independent Orlando doctor.

So I'm wondering "what" changed? Was it is letters to the Judge? I know the DA asked for another competency evaluation on the last hearing of 5/30, and it said on "Competency status" they had no report. What happened to the report from 2/13???
^^^ This news article detail is for a different case and a different court.
It's not the Jennifer Fulford case. Confusing, for sure.
Here's a better article explaining that the February competency hearing was for "a federal bank robbery case".
Accused nanny killer spurns judge's instructions during hearing
FEBRUARY 13, 2018
[...]
During the hearing, Spaulding ruled Nelson competent to proceed in a federal bank robbery case, following the recommendation of two doctors who evaluated him. Federal prosecutor Kidd Embry said Nelson will likely be tried in state court first, where he faces the death penalty in the killing of Jennifer Fulford.
[...]
Nelson has been in federal custody since his arrest Oct. 1 for violating conditions of his probation after a 2010 bank robbery in Daytona Beach. He is accused of killing Fulford, who worked in Winter Park and lived in Altamonte Springs.
[...]

Last edited:
Here are the most recent docket entries for the Fulford murder case:
Orange County Clerk of Courts Records Search
2017-CF-015684-A-O : STATE OF FLORIDA - VS - NELSON, SCOTT EDWARD
Date Description Pages Doc Request Doc
6/11/2018 HEARING - Trial - White, Keith F
5/31/2018 Transcript of Proceedings
Comments: May 29, 2018 16
5/30/2018 Motion or Suggestion to Determine Competency
Comments: STATE OF FLORIDA S 2
5/30/2018 HEARING - Hearing - White, Keith F
5/29/2018 Court Minutes 1
5/29/2018 Per the Court:
Comments: Notice of incompetency was previously filed by public defender. Speedy Tolled as of 5/27/2018 Case removed from trial docket.
5/29/2018 HEARING - Pre-Trial Conference - White, Keith F

^^^ This news article detail is for a different case and a different court.
It's not the Jennifer Fulford case. Confusing, for sure.
Here's a better article explaining that the February competency hearing was for "a federal bank robbery case".

Oh geez.... I feel stupid...
doh-smiley.gif
You won't tell anyone - will ya?!! LOL!

I'm wondering "why" the DA is asking for a "new" competency hearing IF he passed the first one? Strange to me!

So it's still a go - he's just going to get another eval?

Oh geez.... I feel stupid...
doh-smiley.gif
You won't tell anyone - will ya?!! LOL!

I'm wondering "why" the DA is asking for a "new" competency hearing IF he passed the first one? Strange to me!

So it's still a go - he's just going to get another eval?
I don't find anything regarding a previous competency hearing for the STATE case. The previous competency hearings were for the FEDERAL case. Since he was deemed incompetent to stand trial in the FEDERAL case in May, that would have made the STATE question proceeding to trial for the Fulford murder. Meaning. . . he couldn't be competent for a June 11 STATE murder trial if he was deemed incompetent in May for his FEDERAL case.

Monday, June 11th:
*Trial was set to begin CANCELLED (@ 9am ET) - FL - Jennifer Lynn Fulford (56) (Sept. 27, 2017) - Scott Edward Nelson (53) - charged & indicted with 1st degree murder, kidnapping, burglary, assault & battery, car jacking with deadly weapon, robbery & tampering with a witness. DP case.
Judge ordered Nelson to undergo a mental health evaluation in October, 2017. Hinted in a new letter to Judge that he has information about nearly a dozen other homicides.
5/30/18 Update: State wants own Dr. to do competency evaluation; no further dates yet.
6/5/18 Update: Defense requests Nelson’s mother’s mental health records from Massachusetts; granted by Judge.
6/5/18 Update: State files Confidential Information within Court Filing Motion. On court site no updates as of 6/11

Monday, June 11th:
*Trial was set to begin CANCELLED (@ 9am ET) - FL - Jennifer Lynn Fulford (56) (Sept. 27, 2017) - Scott Edward Nelson (53) - charged & indicted with 1st degree murder, kidnapping, burglary, assault & battery, car jacking with deadly weapon, robbery & tampering with a witness. DP case.
Judge ordered Nelson to undergo a mental health evaluation in October, 2017. Hinted in a new letter to Judge that he has information about nearly a dozen other homicides.
5/30/18 Update: State wants own Dr. to do competency evaluation; no further dates yet.
6/5/18 Update: Defense requests Nelson’s mother’s mental health records from Massachusetts; granted by Judge.
6/5/18 Update: State files Confidential Information within Court Filing Motion. On court site no updates as of 6/11
Why would they be requesting his mother's mental health records?

Why would they be requesting his mother's mental health records?
Niner - I don't find a source for "Defense requests Nelson’s mother’s mental health records from Massachusetts; granted by Judge." Do you have a link for that?

Most recent news article:
Man accused of murder claims lawyers abusing him
Man accused of killing Winter Park assistant claims his lawyers are abusing him
By Spectrum News Staff | June 7, 2018 @6:17 AM
[...]
Scott Nelson is requesting his lawyers give him documents from his case, addresses for his brothers and a copy of his 1982 high school yearbook.
[...]

Niner - I don't find a source for "Defense requests Nelson’s mother’s mental health records from Massachusetts; granted by Judge." Do you have a link for that?

Well that is strange. On 6/5/18 record they had the Motion to get her mental records, now they have a different page on there. I should have got the link & posted it. Sorry! But I KNOW I saw it!! LOL!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back