Found Deceased KS - Ashley Meiss, 30, Ogden, 17 May 2018

That is what I wonder since both the February and March incidents both say Manhatten for her. I keep getting the sense that there is something being left out of what was going on.

Maybe there was some time between when she moved out of there home in Ogden and when she got her own apartment that she was staying at a friend's? Or maybe just bad reporting in the blotter?

This article explains the incidents. Ashley’s father may have mistaken the exact dates, but the info supports the charges previously posted, IMO.

Army veteran disappears from Kansas; family worried for her safety
Are you talking about this passage?

“But in February of 2018, Chris and Ashley had a bit of a falling out,” Tom told Dateline. “Ashley pushed Chris, and he called the police and he put a protection order in place and filed for divorce. She didn’t fight it, and she allowed Chris to have full custody of the two kids.”

Tom told Dateline that Ashley was admitted to the hospital once again for observation, but was released on February 24 to stay with friends. The following day, the family later learned, Ashley believed she heard gun shots and sirens coming from her former home, and she went over and went into the house to make sure her children were OK.

He seems to be describing two incidents in February. The second one is seemingly the February police blotter entry we have but not the first one. That has to be earlier than the event where she believed she heard shots and sirens the way the article is written. I don't see anything in the article that mentions the March incident.

Here is the problem with the littleapplepost.com, a MSM site. They only post what the editor feels is news worthily. The problem with the RCPD blotter is that it is posted daily, a link to a PDF. If the date is change in the url, the page comes back as not found. So, we have to go off of information that may be edited.
You just mean that the editor at LittleApplePost doesn't include all the blotter entries, correct? The editor isn't in there changing names and addresses, correct?

Are you talking about this passage?

He seems to be describing two incidents in February. The second one is seemingly the February police blotter entry we have but not the first one. That has to be earlier than the event where she believed she heard shots and sirens the way the article is written. I don't see anything in the article that mentions the March incident.

After reading the article again, I agree with you. No March incident is discussed.

Maybe there was some time between when she moved out of there home in Ogden and when she got her own apartment that she was staying at a friend's? Or maybe just bad reporting in the blotter?
You just mean that the editor at LittleApplePost doesn't include all the blotter entries, correct? The editor isn't in there changing names and addresses, correct?
The
The blotter lists both the address of the person arrested and where the arrest happened. I have observed that sometimes littleapplepost reports the address of the individual arrested or where the incident occurred. But very rarely both.

The

The blotter lists both the address of the person arrested and where the arrest happened. I have observed that sometimes littleapplepost reports the address of the individual arrested or where the incident occurred. But very rarely both.
Okay, thanks! I have a question. Everything has more or less gone radio silent in terms of information in this case. Is there any activity that is going on in Ogden or nearby? Are you aware of any organized searches?

Okay, thanks! I have a question. Everything has more or less gone radio silent in terms of information in this case. Is there any activity that is going on in Ogden or nearby? Are you aware of any organized searches?

I can't say because I can't post a link. But yes. About 80 to 90 percent of Ogden has been searched. I put in about 200 man-hours. About 175 on my own since the 20th. But without a link; someone is going to get silly and take down this post.

I can't say because I can't post a link. But yes. About 80 to 90 percent of Ogden has been searched. I put in about 200 man-hours. About 175 on my own since the 20th. But without a link; someone is going to get silly and take down this post.
Please, become a Verified Insider! That will allow you to say what needs to be said w/out links!

The February incident also names Manhatten as the location.

That is what I wonder since both the February and March incidents both say Manhatten for her. I keep getting the sense that there is something being left out of what was going on.

This article explains the incidents. Ashley’s father may have mistaken the exact dates, but the info supports the charges previously posted, IMO.

Great work, Jethro4WS and Mica.

From the Dateline article Mica linked above.

“‘But in February of 2018, Chris and Ashley had a bit of a falling out,’ Tom told Dateline. ‘Ashley pushed Chris, and he called the police and he put a protection order in place and filed for divorce. She didn’t fight it, and she allowed Chris to have full custody of the two kids.’

Tom told Dateline that Ashley was admitted to the hospital once again for observation, but was released on February 24 to stay with friends. The following day, the family later learned, Ashley believed she heard gun shots and sirens coming from her former home, and she went over and went into the house to make sure her children were OK.

Chris, who had an order of protection against her, called the police and Ashley was arrested for violating the protection order,’ Tom told Dateline, adding that he drove to Ogden to get her out of jail. She stayed with some friends in town for a few weeks before getting her own apartment on April 1, 2018, only a few blocks away from the house where Chris and the children still lived.”

Bolded and underlined by me

Trying to construct a timeline based on the information above:

1. Date Unknown, Feb., 2018: Chris, Ashley’s husband, obtains a protection order against her;

2. Feb. 24: Ashley is released from the hospital to stay with friends;

3. Feb. 25: Ashley believes she heard guns and sirens coming from her former home; she goes over and goes into the house to ensure her children’s safety;

4. Feb. 26, 2018:
1) ASHLEY ELIZABETH MEISS, 30, Manhattan, arrested for VIO PROTECTION ORDER; UNK CIRCCRIMINAL DAMAGE PROPERTY; <$1000 CRIMINAL TRESPASS;DEFIANCE RESTRAIN ORDER: Held without Bond;
Riley County Arrest Report Monday February 26

2) Tom, Ashley’s dad, drives to Ogden to get her out of jail;

3) Ashley stays with friends for the following few weeks;

5. Mar. 23: ASHLEY ELIZABETH MEISS, 30, Manhattan, VIO PROTECTION ORDER; RESTRAINING ORDER; Bond $1000;
Riley Co. Arrest Report Friday March 23

6. April 1: Ashley gets her own apartment

7. “Around” May 17: “The last known contact with” Ashley:
“RCPD Lieutenant Erin Freidline with the Investigations Division, has been working on a timeline to narrow down where she might be.

The last known contact with her was around the 17th, so we’re trying to focus on that time frame and go backwards from there and see who she was in contact with the week prior and then trying to move forward and keep continuing to check any leads,’ Freidline said.

RCPD has received several tips that people last saw her at the Ogden Community Center and Post Office on Friday May 18th but no other sightings.“
The search for Ashley Meiss continues

All BBM

Observations:

1. Between Feb. 24 and Apr. 1, Ashley stayed friends;

2. The Dateline article states “(s)he stayed with some friends in town for a few weeks” after her release from the hospital on Feb. 24. (BBM)

It’s possible this is poor reporting, and Ashley actually went to stay with friends in Manhattan (Manhattan is only 10 miles away from Ogden), which would explain Manhattan being listed as her location for the arrests in both Feb. and Mar., IMO.

3. My apologies if it has been discussed and I missed it: Do we know what brought about the charge in Mar.?

I am assuming for the time being it has to do with the protective order her husband put in place in Feb. However, I am also considering the possibility of another individual (e.g., one of her friends) obtaining a PO against her.

4. Is it possible when Ashley left for jog on May 17, she was intending to have someone pick her up and then stay with a friend(s) for a couple of days?

But then why wouldn’t she take her keys, wallet or phone with her? According to T Lewis, however:

“Her apartment was locked. The detective in charge and I went completely through her apartment. I could not find her apartment key on her keychain. I had the locks replaced before I left KS. Nothing seems to be missing.” (RBBM)
KS - Ks - Ashley Meiss, 30, Ogden, 17 May 2018

Perhaps Ashley always kept her apartment key separate from the rest of her keys.

And if she did, it’s even more likely that Ashley was planning on coming back, IMO, but maybe not necessarily after her run, or even that night.

As to her wallet, she could have just taken her driver’s license and some cash, IMO, especially if she intended to stay with a friend(s), IMO.

It’s also possible Ashley had recently purchased another phone, IMO, maybe a prepaid type for the time being. She was going through a divorce, and perhaps her husband had just informed her he was going to be removing her from his account in the near future.

This is getting to be way too long, so I will stop now, but the “friends” she was staying with earlier in the year and others she might have been associating with in recent weeks need be looked at very closely, IMO.

Last edited:
I think your math is right, he is 43 and Ashley is 30. So 43 makes sense for a military retirement. I wonder if he was planning to leave Kansas for good now that he's retired. Not that it matters but it could have been just one more stressor in Ashley's life.
I think your math is right, he is 43 and Ashley is 30. So 43 makes sense for a military retirement. I wonder if he was planning to leave Kansas for good now that he's retired. Not that it matters but it could have been just one more stressor in Ashley's life.
I don't think the court would allow him to move until the divorce is settled. And even then I'd be surprised if the courts would allow him to move out of state with the kids. AM has rights, too. However, I wonder how long she has to be missing before the courts will rule on the divorce or granting full custody to the father with no limitations.

I hope she has a good attorney representing her. And it is unfortunate for Mr. Lewis as he is caught between a rock and a hard place. He must remain friendly with the father or he can be cut off from seeing the kids. Laws regarding grandparent visitation are not always good ones.

Thanks for the timeline Inmyhumbleopinion!!! Appreciate the effort!

I agree that the friends she has that are referred to in the article(s) should know more about what was going on prior to Ashley going missing.

I wish LE would say a little more about the timeline. They haven't said, for example, whether Ashley had been seen at the post office on surveillance and, if so, the date and time. Nor have they said anything about any of the other encounters. So this could be a situation, as Ogden Resident said, where even those events occurred on the 17th or earlier. It could be the case that the last true contact/sighting was the 17th.

While it isn't a certainty that a shift in the investigation has occurred - from a missing persons case - law enforcement stating that they are working backward from the 17th isn't something that is easily discounted.

I agree that the friends she has that are referred to in the article(s) should know more about what was going on prior to Ashley going missing.

I wish LE would say a little more about the timeline. They haven't said, for example, whether Ashley had been seen at the post office on surveillance and, if so, the date and time. Nor have they said anything about any of the other encounters. So this could be a situation, as Ogden Resident said, where even those events occurred on the 17th or earlier. It could be the case that the last true contact/sighting was the 17th.

While it isn't a certainty that a shift in the investigation has occurred - from a missing persons case - law enforcement stating that they are working backward from the 17th isn't something that is easily discounted.

The bolded part above stands out to me. It makes me wonder if the witnesses that say they saw her at the post office and after aren't being taken seriously. If that's the case then why?

Authorities and family members tell Dateline it’s unclear where Ashley stayed the night of Thursday, May 17. The next morning around 9:30 a.m., surveillance footage shows her walking into a nearby post office and picking up her mail.

Authorities and family members tell Dateline it’s unclear where Ashley stayed the night of Thursday, May 17. The next morning around 9:30 a.m., surveillance footage shows her walking into a nearby post office and picking up her mail.

What you bolded is what I question. The RCPD had an opportunity with the latest thing they said to the media to choose to confirm that Ashley was last seen on May 18th at the post office. Surveillance video would be pretty convincing and would even have a time stamp. But they didn't do so. It is what jumped out at me.

So when I see the construct of the sentences of the Dateline article you quoted the only thing law enforcement is attributed with is the first unbolded sentence that it is unclear where Ashley stayed the night of May 17th. The next sentence comes from some source and it may be just from family and not law enforcement. The article doesn't make it clear.

I would like to know why we don't have an updated last seen and where out of LE if the surveillance footage of Ashley at the post office exists and it was May 18th. They had been working her case for more than two weeks at the point they made their latest statement. The missing posters all have information out there of sightings or contact after the 17th.

Anyone who saw Ashley after the 17th could be thinking there is no point in contacting law enforcement because they know they encountered Ashley at an earlier time than other encounters mentioned in articles or on missing flyers. I think it is something important that law enforcement should clear up and if necessary have the missing flyers changed to reflect what is considered to be correct.

What you bolded is what I question. The RCPD had an opportunity with the latest thing they said to the media to choose to confirm that Ashley was last seen on May 18th at the post office. Surveillance video would be pretty convincing and would even have a time stamp. But they didn't do so. It is what jumped out at me.

So when I see the construct of the sentences of the Dateline article you quoted the only thing law enforcement is attributed with is the first unbolded sentence that it is unclear where Ashley stayed the night of May 17th. The next sentence comes from some source and it may be just from family and not law enforcement. The article doesn't make it clear.

I would like to know why we don't have an updated last seen and where out of LE if the surveillance footage of Ashley at the post office exists and it was May 18th. They had been working her case for more than two weeks at the point they made their latest statement. The missing posters all have information out there of sightings or contact after the 17th.

Anyone who saw Ashley after the 17th could be thinking there is no point in contacting law enforcement because they know they encountered Ashley at an earlier time than other encounters mentioned in articles or on missing flyers. I think it is something important that law enforcement should clear up and if necessary have the missing flyers changed to reflect what is considered to be correct.

Surveillance cameras. If Ashley got an official letter with signature return recruit, she would have had to pick it up at the counter. So, post office surveillance could have picked her up.
Community Center. Maybe the outside cameras didn't pick her up because the sun was breaking through the trees causing "light blind"? Maybe the inside cameras didn't pick her up because she followed someone in and stepped aside and walked to where the cameras only picked up only a glimpse of her but not enough for positive id? Maybe when she left, she took the same path out and the outside cameras were still in "light blind". So, RCPD has to rely on eye witness' reports?

Ashley's story has made NBC's Missing in America site.

I haven't finished reading the article, and I'm only on page 7 of the thread, but I see a few interesting things already.

The particular form of PTSD Ashley was suffering from included severe paranoia, and I can see why Tom used the word 'psychotic' in an earlier post now, because I was wondering about that word being chosen.

I'm wondering if the use of the app to cover the phone number of that call Ashley made might be consistent with a relapse in Ashley's prior paranoia?

I believe that the point of 'psychotic' is that it's not logical to anyone but the person suffering from it. And although Tom feels that Ashley would never want to miss big occasions with her children, in her mind she might be protecting them by avoiding them, and she might also avoid her parents and brothers and others she cares deeply about for the same reason. From what I'm reading, Ashley left in the apartment anything that could electronically trace to her (phone, debit cards) but she may have taken her door key? Again, the choice of leaving these items at home could be consistent with paranoia over being tracked down. It's dangerous to play amateur psychologist, obviously, but could that be a sign that she wanted subconsciously to leave open the avenue of returning some day?

Inconsistent with that theory is that Ashley appears to have stayed in the Ogden area for a few days at least. But could it have been an 'in development' phase and maybe that letter did switch something in her head, and in some way this kind of paranoia might have reappeared as a protection mechanism, so that instead of worrying about not seeing the children, the illness has turned it into she needs to stay away from them for their protection from the monsters out there (whatever the monsters are for Ashley).

Tom said Ashley left the Xanax, but didn't mention the mood-enhancing meds...is that because they couldn't be found in the apartment? But, even if Ashley took them with her (and it seems unlikely to take them out for a run?) there is still the point about refilling the prescription. What I just said about it not making sense to take the meds out for the run, the dog, the phone, and the doorkey are really the only things that make sense to me to take for the run...even if Ashley was dressed for a run, could that have been a cover? What was she wearing on the sightings after the run? If there's video of Ashley at the post office why isn't there a rough idea of what kind of clothing she was wearing in it?

Surveillance cameras. If Ashley got an official letter with signature return recruit, she would have had to pick it up at the counter. So, post office surveillance could have picked her up.
Community Center. Maybe the outside cameras didn't pick her up because the sun was breaking through the trees causing "light blind"? Maybe the inside cameras didn't pick her up because she followed someone in and stepped aside and walked to where the cameras only picked up only a glimpse of her but not enough for positive id? Maybe when she left, she took the same path out and the outside cameras were still in "light blind". So, RCPD has to rely on eye witness' reports?

Ogden Resident are there surveillance cameras at the community center? I haven't been there in probably 5 or 6 years but it doesn't seem like they would have or need video cameras there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back