Found Deceased Ks - Lucas Hernandez, 5, Wichita, 17 Feb 2018 #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't doubt what you are saying is accurate, but it's the first time I have heard it. Where was this stated that her sister took her in, or that drug use and crime were the cause of her homelessness?
I went to find the article and posted in another reply -- but it only states EG was accused of stealing her sister's vehicle. I can't find the post or link where it states her sister took her in. I don't know that drugs were the cause of her homelessness, only that she had been known to use heroin and meth in the past -- I can only speculate that drugs were a contributor to her erratic behavior and possibly her homelessness.

Unfortunately it's too late to edit my post so I will report it to have that part removed -- thanks for helping me stay on track! :)

Lucas' father saw the bruises as well.......I haven't changed my thoughts that JH put some of those bruises on Lucas and that is why he was so adamant about not discussing them or willing to discuss EG abusing Lucas. IMO they both abused him. JMO
I hope that, eventually, charges will be filed against JH. Too little, too late for the system to protect and save Lucas but at least something can be done to save MH.

Lucas' father saw the bruises as well.......I haven't changed my thoughts that JH put some of those bruises on Lucas and that is why he was so adamant about not discussing them or willing to discuss EG abusing Lucas. IMO they both abused him. JMO

I hate to be agreeing with this, but I do believe that JH was also abusive. Maybe not to the extent of EG, but I can see JH pushing, grabbing, or even smacking him upside the head. I feel like maybe JH didn’t feel it was abuse. Lucas maybe would make a mess or break something and that would be JH’s reaction... some people were raised that a smack in the mouth was punishment for back talking, or spanking because you left the yard without asking. I’m guessing EG and JH treated their own children differently and maybe JH started realizing that if he was putting his hands on EG’s son, how could he possibly believe EG wasn’t putting her hands on Lucas! That’s where the defensiveness is coming in. The “ah-ha” moment that it was considered abuse on both ends. And then he had to cover his own rear!

I believe JH saw bruises. I also imo believe he chose to accept the reasons EG gave him for bruising.

It may be possible that there was reason to believe she claimed there was “bad blood” between JH EG andanyone who spoke against her.

I have seen conflict within friends relationships when husbands are working away for weeks at a time. When home husbands want peace and quality time with their families. Perhaps JH DIDNT WANT 10 days if cinstant conflict with EG.
And remember the PI commented that EG had JH “snowed”. I believed she was an extremely good manipulative drama enhanced mentally ill drug abuser.
It in no way gives JH a pass, it’s simply a well thought out opinion of how this may have happened.

There are safety nets for reported abuse, and that’s the most significant failure for Lucas. All of the children should have been removed until such time the home especially EG we’re safe.

During the last NG podcast there was a former Kansas Social Worker who clearly stated “people at DCF we’re complacent and ignored many many complaints when I was there” she went on “it’s just the way things were done”. Well that explains a lot. If any of the reports of harm had been investigated properly anyone could have seen the pattern of abuse. Imo I would go so far to say forensic computer history would probably reveal no one opened all if the documents pertains to past reports an/or the court documents along with EG past criminal records. Employees at DCF are supposed to be thorough. DCF are trained to be and the State updates training and pays them to be thorough. THEY FAILED.

LE isn't powerless in this type of situation though. Why couldn't LE have called DCF right then and there for emergency protective custody? If Lucas was covered in bruises, about to be sent off with a woman who has previous and/or current allegations/issues with her own children, how would that not warrant an emergency response?

http://assembly.state.ny.us/comm/Children/20140128/index.pdf

The above snippet is part of NY's policies. Does KS not have similar protocols? Or did the responding LE officers just not care enough to do something?
I'm sorry.
I just realized they wouldn't even look at the bruises. WOW. The horrors of what Lucas went through,and to those who did what was right. Only to be blocked at every turn.
I could not imagine LE not stepping in,or why.
I do wonder if they even wrote up a report,or if there is a record of the call,and who responded.
My head is spinning.
So much to wrap ones head around.

I went to find the article and posted in another reply -- but it only states EG was accused of stealing her sister's vehicle. I can't find the post or link where it states her sister took her in. I don't know that drugs were the cause of her homelessness, only that she had been known to use heroin and meth in the past -- I can only speculate that drugs were a contributor to her erratic behavior and possibly her homelessness.

Unfortunately it's too late to edit my post so I will report it to have that part removed -- thanks for helping me stay on track! :)
I saw where you added the quote, I just hadn't read far enough to see that yet. My apologies, I didn't recall that, but some of the other things you quoted were familiar, so I must have just missed that part.

I know there are people in all professions who don't do their jobs as they should, but LE in this case may have had a valid reason for not helping. If JH, EG and LH lived in a different county (or city, depending on which LE branch was called), they may not have had the legal right to do anything about it. I know with a lot of crimes, they have to be reported to LE in the area where they occurred. I have no idea how that works with child protection services, but I would hope that they would help no matter where a child was abused. I'm not saying there isn't more they could have done, but they may not have been allowed to do what really needed to be done. I would really like to believe (naive person that I am) that no LEO would knowingly allow a child to suffer like that if there was something he/she could do to help. MOO

I hate to be agreeing with this, but I do believe that JH was also abusive. Maybe not to the extent of EG, but I can see JH pushing, grabbing, or even smacking him upside the head. I feel like maybe JH didn’t feel it was abuse. Lucas maybe would make a mess or break something and that would be JH’s reaction... some people were raised that a smack in the mouth was punishment for back talking, or spanking because you left the yard without asking. I’m guessing EG and JH treated their own children differently and maybe JH started realizing that if he was putting his hands on EG’s son, how could he possibly believe EG wasn’t putting her hands on Lucas! That’s where the defensiveness is coming in. The “ah-ha” moment that it was considered abuse on both ends. And then he had to cover his own rear!
I don't think JH was abusive. (All MOO). JO said she never knew him to be abusive, and quote from EG's ex's court docs stated she'd been violent in 2 relationships (3 when you count hitting her ex while he held their child). We have the battery charge for JH pushing EG's son, but battery is a much lesser charge than abuse (not saying battery is ok), but I'm wondering what did EG egg on that day until JH maybe pushed the kid's chest out of some frustration at everything. And JH did have some DV issues with EG, but IIRC, they seemed to be while protecting himself, or after she'd already gotten violent with him. Also, we haven't heard of any reports of injuries to LH before EG came into the picture.
JH isn't a great guy, and failed in many ways, but I just don't think saying he may have been abusive, or part of the abuse, to LH adds up. LH also said it was EG in a couple instances. I think JH failed to protect his child, but I don't think he was the source of the abuse.

At the minimum, he knew about them and not only turned a blind eye, but helped cover them up and create cover stories.

Side note to you, lonetraveler - I just read an update from you and am sending squeezy hugs and warm thoughts. I can't begin to explain in words the dark but hot sadness that came over me when I read your personal post a few threads back. I know this case probably means more to you than ever now, and I am so sorry. You are so not alone. We are walking with you.

O/T question for locals or those familiar with LE --
I've been keeping an occasional eye on the county inmate roster and today I came across something I've never noticed before. Inmate Arrest/Booking Details - Sedgwick County, Kansas Sheriff's Office
Also, Pod is listed as "DFF" but I cannot find that in abbreviation list: Inmate Abbreviation Code Definitions - Sedgwick County, Kansas Sheriff's Office

I guess I'm wondering if this was just someone providing false info and they booked him on what he provided until further info comes in -- or what? I feel silly asking but a little part of my brain wondered if they were holding someone else with a desire to not disclose that info -- but would that even be legal?

O/T question for locals or those familiar with LE --
I've been keeping an occasional eye on the county inmate roster and today I came across something I've never noticed before. Inmate Arrest/Booking Details - Sedgwick County, Kansas Sheriff's Office
Also, Pod is listed as "DFF" but I cannot find that in abbreviation list: Inmate Abbreviation Code Definitions - Sedgwick County, Kansas Sheriff's Office

I guess I'm wondering if this was just someone providing false info and they booked him on what he provided until further info comes in -- or what? I feel silly asking but a little part of my brain wondered if they were holding someone else with a desire to not disclose that info -- but would that even be legal?
I believe it's Deported Felon File, which is someone who was deported for a felony and tried to reenter the US. MOO

I know there are people in all professions who don't do their jobs as they should, but LE in this case may have had a valid reason for not helping. If JH, EG and LH lived in a different county (or city, depending on which LE branch was called), they may not have had the legal right to do anything about it. I know with a lot of crimes, they have to be reported to LE in the area where they occurred. I have no idea how that works with child protection services, but I would hope that they would help no matter where a child was abused. I'm not saying there isn't more they could have done, but they may not have been allowed to do what really needed to be done. I would really like to believe (naive person that I am) that no LEO would knowingly allow a child to suffer like that if there was something he/she could do to help. MOO
I like to believe that too, but I also think there are people--in every field--who would rather pass the buck than get involved. Maybe it's extra legwork or phone calls or paper work.

Even if that's not the case, and it is some jurisdictional "rule," here's my hypothetical question (for anyone)-- if a rape victim or kidnap victim ran into the closest LE substation or hospital, who would respond? That same jurisdiction. Yes, the case would eventually be transferred to the jurisdiction where the crime occurred, but LE would take the report, photos, etc. They aren't going to tell the victim they have to return to the proper jurisdiction or wait (possibly hours or longer) for the proper jurisdiction to arrive. They are going to treat the situation with the seriousness it warrants. My question to anyone is -- why is reporting a crime against a child any different? Especially in Lucas' case -- the state child welfare reporting authority (DCF) is a state-wide organization and the crime is being reported in a neighboring county.

The lack of common sense and communication is disgusting, dangerous, and basically tells children in peril that they have no rights -- they are damaged property, not their problem (imo).

Survivor’s guilt is a wretched emotion. It wakes you up in the middle of the night. It beats you down. It offers nothing of value.

@FindLucasAllen you did everything you could. Chant it to yourself if you have to. Because of you, Jamie, and the rest of your family, Lucas knew what it meant to be loved with a whole heart. Remind yourself that you did that for him. His life would have been much worse without you and yours in it.
We know what would happen if the cops saw Lucas.
Nothing.
They would have called CPS.
We know what they would have done.
Nothing.
This is where the problem lies.
My opinión. Head on down yo the DA's Office. Protest outside and invite the media.
Let everyone know they are on notice.
Light a fire under their azz.

All IMO -
JH had to see the bruises and the increased frequency over time and he had to know about at least some of the reports (more than the 1 he claims to know).
JH didn't have a documented record of violence prior to EG and JO indicates that is because he wasn't violent

I'm starting to believe it's more of a "both" situation. He may have believed in some form of physical discipline, but I doubt he ever intentionally used physical force to with the goal of inflicting pain or fear. He should have known exactly what was going on in his home and will pay for that for the rest of his life -- but did he, really?

NG isn't a favorite of everyone, but she was a prosecutor and has worked with victims of domestic violence and on behalf of other victims. She and her guest (Ashley Wilcott?), a juvenile justice judge, both talk on the latest podcast about how: 1) it is extremely difficult to believe someone you love is capable of hurting you or your children, and 2) how spouses/partners defend each other against child abuse more often than not. Sometimes it's because they're both involved, but more frequently it's a refusal to believe--it just doesn't make sense to them, denial, whatever you want to call it. It's not acceptable, but in my mind it's indicative of human nature to give the person you love and share your life with the benefit of the doubt.

Similar to DV situations in which LE requires that one or both of them have to be arrested, I wonder if there's a way to separate the accused from the child and adult partner for a period of time to allow for education and counseling intervention -- anything to raise the suspicions and instinct to protect in the parent that's in denial.

Thank you... I think we're going to have to do that.

I do want to say that I'm definitely not the glue. That would be my mother in law. She's amazing.

We had it planned out that when Lucas was found she would come get my husband and me and we would be the ones to tell Jamie (that didn't happen.. Jamie found out through the media). When she called to tell me he had been found, she was the one who had to tell me "just breathe... just breathe". She's our rock.
I cannot fathom how Jamie felt finding that out from the media!!

Sorry if repost/bringing this forward for anyone who might have missed it.
Updated June 12, 2018 12:04 PM

"Lucas Hernandez — the 5-year-old boy whom Wichita fell in love with — will be memorialized at 1 p.m. Saturday, June 30.

His celebration of life will be at the Wichita State University Eugene M. Hughes Metropolitan Complex, 5015 E. 29th St. North, and is open to the public.

The service will be open to public community leaders, law enforcement, friends and family.

"We want to offer all those who have come to love our child the opportunity to grieve and say goodbye," his funeral announcement says. "Thank you all for loving Lucas. His time on earth was short, but his impact on our lives was immeasurable.""

Snip

"Flowers can be delivered to the metropolitan complex on June 29 and 30."

Last edited:
When Lucas returned from EG and JH for a funeral, covered in bruises, how many people at that funeral called DCS THAT DAY and reported it? Why wasn't he taken to the ER to document it? So much I guess is hindsight now, but so many missed opportunities to save him. Heartbreaking.

With all due respect it is the system and JH that failed Lucas not the other people around him. I see so many people trying to put blame on his family and the moms family when really it should be placed on the Dad, EG, and the system. More focus needs to be on them not anyone else. The system especially sucks. I can say this right form experience here in Pennsylvania.

My cousin and his live in GF are both addicted to Meth and have three kids living together. His ex gf who is pregnant with his child went to the police with everything that she knows (names etc of people who do drugs, where they get it from etc), bc my cousin was stupid enough to give her that info and she told them about the kids living in there and how they fight all the time and how she's worried about not only the kids but her unborn child. The police basically told her they really couldn't do anything but that they are being watched and that as far as the kids go that CYS wouldn't do a damn thing for the kids. They said CYS would go into the home and see they are being taken care of, clothed, fed, bathed etc and that they wouldn't do anything. More info on this situation can be found here so that we don't de-rail the thread: https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...rom-you-guys-for-my-friends-sitaution.366669/

It is sad how screwed up the justice system is. If we are going to be angry or question anything in regards to no one helping Lucas then I think it should be placed soley on his father, EG, and the DCF system. JMO MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288