Purpose Of This Emerald Triangle Sub-forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,
Great question Gardener. Please forgive me but I am been buried under all kinds of work.
I will be back tomorrow to answer your questions and to get a description of the subforum and what our goal is with the Emerald Triangle.

Thank you for your patience.

Tricia

Thank YOU Tricia!

Thank you!

So every time I want to use a smiley I have to wade through 12 pages?!View attachment 135794 Can I put the ones I like in one place?

Yeah it's a pain. And it's a 3rd party site so they may disappear from you posts in the future if the website owner decides to take down the site. I'm still hoping some more will be added on this new software. ;)

Hi Everyone,
Great question Gardener. Please forgive me but I am been buried under all kinds of work.
I will be back tomorrow to answer your questions and to get a description of the subforum and what our goal is with the Emerald Triangle.

Tricia

Thank you, Tricia. I understand. Lilibet has explained a lot and worked out a pretty good plan, IMO. A description of the subforum would be really helpful. No hurry, no worries. :)

I have submitted a draft of Welcome to the Emerald Triangle to Tricia, in which I try to explain local conditions. I believe it could not only serve as an intro to the area and its criminal conditions, but also as a place where questions about the ET could discussed and answered.

This article about the extremely high rate of suicide and drug overdose in Humboldt County doesn’t have a direct bearing on those missing and murdered, but it illustrates how off the charts Humboldt is in so many ways.

From the article:

Largusa points out there are big differences by zip code around the county in the death rates. Eureka’s 95501 zip code, Hoopa and Myers Flat all have a drug-related death rate of over 65 per hundred thousand, where Arcata, McKinleyville, and Fortuna are below 40 per hundred thousand.

Humboldt’s ‘Deaths of Despair’ Are Three Times California’s

My former home was outside of Myers Flat, mentioned for its high drug death toll. :( Not to mention being the former home of probable serial killer John Annibel. We left (escaped) 34 years ago, but still have dear friends in the area.

IMO, the factors Largusa mentions below help explain the proliferation of Humboldt cases we deal with here on the ET forum, and why having this forum is so important. Sadly, it makes me think of Bob Dylan’s song “Everything is Broken.”
Everything Is Broken | The Official Bob Dylan Site

Largusa spoke about the impacts of “cumulative disadvantages.” For example, in addition to lower income and fewer educational opportunities in the rural county, pregnant women in Humboldt County are four times more likely than the state average to have a substance abuse issue. And 50% more women in Humboldt County experience domestic violence.

Furthermore, one in three adults in Humboldt County had four or more “adverse childhood experiences” which correlates statistically to adults with higher rates of injury, suicide drug addiction, but also to higher rates of chronic disease such as diabetes and heart disease. Examples of Adverse Childhood Experiences include the death or incarceration of a parent, homelessness, witnessing or being a victim of violence.

Is there somewhere that explains what the "Emerald Triangle" is?
And what is the purpose of all these missing persons cases being down here in a "Crimes" forums instead of the "Missing But Not Forgotten" forums? I have recently noticed a large number of missing person's threads I created in the missing forums have been moved here. When I go to search for a missing person thread I search the missing forums, not the crimes section. Now that I know this is here I'll search the entire board for California cases, but I worry that duplicate threads will be created or other posters looking for MP threads will not find the threads. Some of these missing persons could be suicides or accidental deaths. So why are they in the Crimes forum?

*Sorry if this is explained somewhere but I have looked around and I am not seeing a description of this sub-forum or why it was created. TIA.

Gardener1850. You bring up excellent points. I'll be getting with burblestein in the next few days to discuss a set of parameters in regards to what cases can be brought over to this forum and such. Also, we will work on a more detailed description of the purpose of the Emerald Triangle.
Thank you all very much for your patience.
Tricia

I have submitted a draft of Welcome to the Emerald Triangle to Tricia, in which I try to explain local conditions. I believe it could not only serve as an intro to the area and its criminal conditions, but also as a place where questions about the ET could discussed and answered.
Well there you go. Thank you burblestein. I'll be in touch over the weekend. Thank you

Gardener1850. You bring up excellent points. I'll be getting with burblestein in the next few days to discuss a set of parameters in regards to what cases can be brought over to this forum and such. Also, we will work on a more detailed description of the purpose of the Emerald Triangle.
Thank you all very much for your patience.
Tricia

Thank you Tricia. Actually we’ve moved beyond the idea of which cases to bring over here. Folie brought up something very important we hadn’t thought about, starting in post #27, that has made us realize that the threads themselves need to go back to their original places for search purposes. It was a great discussion, and involves simply having links to the threads here, but not the actual thread. If you go back and read, I think it will be clear. This will help those looking for UIDs. Burblestein and I are not involved in those cases, so what folie is saying would never occur to us. Maybe chat with her too after reading here.

The ET Forum still serves a valuable purpose, but only having links will make the rest of WS work better and be much simpler to manage this forum without needing a mod to move stray threads over here. Hope this makes a little sense!
Thanks again!

Thank you Tricia. Actually we’ve moved beyond the idea of which cases to bring over here. Folie brought up something very important we hadn’t thought about, starting in post #27, that has made us realize that the threads themselves need to go back to their original places for search purposes. It was a great discussion, and involves simply having links to the threads here, but not the actual thread. If you go back and read, I think it will be clear. This will help those looking for UIDs. Burblestein and I are not involved in those cases, so what folie is saying would never occur to us. Maybe chat with her too after reading here.

The ET Forum still serves a valuable purpose, but only having links will make the rest of WS work better and be much simpler to manage this forum without needing a mod to move stray threads over here. Hope this makes a little sense!
Thanks again!
i just discovered this thread (ooops), but since days i was annoying my fellow mods what is happening and stating quite the same concerns i read here!
I very much appreciate the idea to leave the threads in actual WS portion and work with links etc. I will be very happy to support the set up and realization!
PS and learn more about this area

i just discovered this thread (ooops), but since days i was annoying my fellow mods what is happening and stating quite the same concerns i read here!
I very much appreciate the idea to leave the threads in actual WS portion and work with links etc. I will be very happy to support the set up and realization!
PS and learn more about this area

Thanks so much! Glad to have you aboard.

I should have realized I owed an explanation of my criteria for selecting cases for this new forum. For clarity's sake, I am listing them below so we are all on the same page. Note that they may change in the near future.

They had to be cold cases occurring in Humboldt, Mendocino, or Trinity Counties in California.

They had to seem capable of resolution. That's why I didn't recommend inclusion of threads where folks had been washed away, lost at sea, etc. I did NOT recommend against having threads for those missing cases--only that they not be included in the ET forum.

I linked the old threads in Missing but Not Forgotten to the threads moved into the ET Forum to redirect searchers. Same with Cold Case Murders. (But did not realize about UIDs. Or allow for Search function glitches in the new software.)

My objective was to found an investigative forum, with an eye towards uncovering serial killers. John Annibel made me realize that Humboldt and Mendocino Counties shared at least one serial killer; given the realities of our geography, there were probably more. Also, some cases, like Chris Giauque, might have occurred on one side or another of a county line.

I planned an introductory thread to the top of the Forum, to orient WSers to the realities of the Emerald Triangle. I would not mind it being an open thread for queries about local conditions there. To anyone only acquainted with the East Coast, the geography of the Triangle can make it seem a foreign country. (Certainly it did to me when I moved out here.)

I defer to the more experienced hands in here as to modifications to improve this forum. Indeed, I am chuffed that you care. As noted above, I will roll with your decisions.

Hi Everyone,

From now on when a case is moved to this forum there will always be a permanent redirect in the original forum where the case came from.

This confusion is completely my fault and I take full responsibility for any of the problems. With the move to the new software, I did not stop to look and make sure I had thought of everything.

In the coming days, we will be addressing your other concerns.

Tricia

Hi Everyone,

From now on when a case is moved to this forum there will always be a permanent redirect in the original forum where the case came from.

This confusion is completely my fault and I take full responsibility for any of the problems. With the move to the new software, I did not stop to look and make sure I had thought of everything.

In the coming days, we will be addressing your other concerns.

Tricia

Thank you Tricia. There was a LOT to think about! No worries.

I’m still not sure if the permanent re-direct solves the search problem discussed extensively earlier on the thread. Starting here and continuing:
Purpose Of This Emerald Triangle Sub-forum?

It’s not my area of expertise, since I don’t work on UID cases, but folie made the point that cases can’t be searched by different terms in the body of a thread if the thread itself is moved. If people are looking for cases during certain time frames and they’ve been moved here, even with a redirect, that apparently means they have to come over here to search...double work. Can the redirects be put on this forum instead, so the original threads go back where they were? I just want to be sure this important issue isn’t overlooked, and I’m not familiar enough with terminology to know if what you said is addressing that problem.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Yes, the change to just linking threads is actually a huge advantage and solves the problems we were talking about before folie arrived and really rocked the boat! ;) It’s ultimately a win-win...after the hard work, headache and lost hair of changing it back to just links. Maintaining the ET forum will be simpler and not on Burblestein’s shoulders. He’s been awfully quiet...hope he hasn’t had a heart attack!

Sorry did not mean to rock the boat :(

Sorry did not mean to rock the boat :(

Sorry, poor choice of words. But I meant it in a good way. :) This forum needed your input. I’ve linked your posts in replies to Tricia a couple of times, so that the changes can be done right and benefit everyone.

I think Lilibet meant that in a good way. Personally, I'm glad you chimed in folie! If you rocked the boat, then I must have come close to capsizing it ;)

Yes, I did mean it in a good way! I hope no changes are made until what folie brought up is understood by those making the changes. I keep banging that drum loudly. And I will say it again:

The original threads need to go back to their original places in the Missing Persons or Crime forums so they can be searched thoroughly for words within posts, not just in the thread title. Keep just a link to those threads in this forum. Otherwise UID’s may end up not being identified.

Am I saying that right, folie? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members