CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Notice the same time frame as two other incidents. Fwiw, I think they mistakenly stated it was a shotgun. Eta, I absolutely believe these incidents are related.

(Snipped)
The incident began around 5 a.m. and she wrote she was asleep at the empty campground with her boyfriend when she heard a loud noise that woke them up.

Her boyfriend asked her what the noise was and she believed she was dreaming and told him not to worry and go back to sleep, Tatangelo wrote.

When they got up at 6 a.m., they left the campsite to get coffee, she said, and they heard something rolling around the back of her car which was parked in a lot.

She opened the door hatch and saw a large bullet hole and bullet rolling around the back of the car, Tatangelo said.

Woman Says Her Car in 2017 Was Struck by Gunfire at Malibu Creek State Park Where Man Camping Was Fatally Shot

It’s possible they are related but this was 4:30 am. He was most likely lying down with his daughters. I can’t see him being shot in the chest from a stray bullet if he was lying down. This seems targeted imo but I could be wrong.

If he was in fact shot inside the tent it seems that someone unzipped the tent shot him and left. Now if this was just a random act of violence I’m shocked the children were left alive. If this was a feud or a hit it would be more understandable that the children weren’t killed.

This is just so painful to read. I do not see how this could’ve been an accident. How heartless can someone be? .
I agree, this is awful.

This one also strikes close to home for me as I enjoy hiking in State Parks with my family and have been to many in several states.

As a side note, with one exception (SOCAL park that could get relatively wild on Memorial Day and Labor Day weekend as some groups passed far more alcohol than smores 'round the campfires), the State parks that I have been to have all been well patrolled and extremely safe.

From what I have seen, local authorities show little tolerance for drug user / transient encampments in the parks, open substance use, mentally ill and loitering around types, people brandishing / firing weapons etc. .
It’s possible they are related but this was 4:30 am. He was most likely lying down with his daughters. I can’t see him being shot in the chest from a stray bullet if he was lying down. This seems targeted imo but I could be wrong.

I also agree about the seeming targeted nature of the crime. I could see a thrill shooter firing into the tent and running, but such a person would seem less likely to even partially enter the tent. If he was targeted, I think the police need to look at two possibilities:

A. Targeting as a result of an out side the park motive.
B. Targeting as a result of a confrontation in the park.

I think possibility ‘A’ would be less likely as the specific camp sites of individuals can be hard to find, especially at night, and the trip was not planned far in advance. That leaves ‘B’. Park Rangers have pretty good entry logs. Likewise, other campers may remember somebody leaving suddenly

Last edited:
in the middle of a home remodeling project At the moment. I will post links as soon as I can . Campers complained about the lack of privacy between campsites. park is well liked except for on the weekends and holiday weekends when it is overcrowded and there are wild parties.

Malibu Creek State Park (Calabasas) - 2018 All You Need to Know Before You Go (with Photos) - TripAdvisor

The campground had 60 occupied sites that night out of 63.
Father Shot and Killed While Camping With His 2- and 4-Year-Old Girls

Last edited:

If he was in fact shot inside the tent it seems that someone unzipped the tent shot him and left. Now if this was just a random act of violence I’m shocked the children were left alive. If this was a feud or a hit it would be more understandable that the children weren’t killed.

three shootings between 4& 5am appears to me to be in the same time frame. At least one other was shot at while sleeping in a car .This case has the victim shot while inside his tent .Imo, he heard a noise, sat up and was shot . Imo, suicide would be easy to determine. And yet LE has shut down the campground until at least Thursday.

Don't they require visitors to register at the admin building? And give your car license plate and ID?

Although it would take awhile, it seems they have ID for everyone in the park, or at least for every vehicle that entered.

I tend to agree.

Also, if he was lying down (which we don't know), it seems odds are against a stray bullet getting him in the chest. IF he was laying down, I kind of think someone came into the tent and aimed. If he was up and about, maybe a stray more feasible.

That's got to be one tall tent though. Most aren't tall enough for a man to stand upright in.

Don't they require visitors to register at the admin building? And give your car license plate and ID?

Although it would take awhile, it seems they have ID for everyone in the park, or at least for every vehicle that entered.
Yes, they do log all cars and also require registration.

Though some states where I have visited parks (Mississippi, Louisiana) may not man the booth all the time, or be a little lax at times on logging after the fee is collected, my bet is that California Parks entry booth are always manned and that they also keep very good logs.

Last edited:
three shootings between 4& 5am appears to me to be in the same time frame. At least one other was shot at while sleeping in a car .This case has the victim shot while inside his tent .Imo, he heard a noise, sat up and was shot . Imo, suicide would be easy to determine. And yet LE has shut down the campground until at least Thursday.
Yeah imo suicide is off the table here. I just don’t see that happening with his kids in the tent with him. Also his brother-in-law and Little nephew’s were camping with them.

Last edited:
We're not told if the weapon has been found - makes me assume it has. Also: investigating something as a homicide does not mean it has been decided it's a homicide.

As always - I have no idea really.
If they found the weapon then imo it would most likely have been an accident. Really hoping that’s not the case for the kids sake. I just don’t know if LE would close down all nearby campgrounds for a week if they believed that’s what happened here. You know?

If they found the weapon then imo it would most likely have been an accident. Really hoping that’s not the case for the kids sake. I just don’t know if LE would close down all nearby campgrounds for a week if they believed that’s what happened here. You know?
Good point. Due diligence, whatever the case proves to be, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123