CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMO
After learning about the other shootings at the vehicles and this one I am leaning more towards a possible serial killer.

Could be the same person that was shooting at vehicles and has escalated into full blown murder now.

The early morning hours of this shooting is really bizarre. From the video that shows the tent and listening to the reporting it sounds like he was shot from someone who was outside the tent and the victim was inside the tent. That tells me the person on the outside may have seen him stand up in silouhette and just shot him.

Thinking more now that this may be a crazy random serial killer on the loose. JMO of course.

Man Fatally Shot in Malibu Creek State Park Identified

Randall Lee Smith killed two people on the Appalachian Trail, was sent to prison, and after release again attempted to murder two men who were camping and fishing. When he was found after the attempted murder there were some clues he'd maybe murdered someone else but I don't think any other victims were found/identified.

Obviously not him, but maybe something similar is happening in this park?

Wiki: Randall Lee Smith - Wikipedia

Excellent longform if you've got the time...
Murder on the Appalachian Trail:
The Grisly Double Homicide that Haunts the Appalachian Trail

--
The victim's brother told our Los Angeles station KCBS there were two holes in Beaudette's tent, one in the top and one on the side. Police have not confirmed if the holes were bullet holes.
--​
Second shooting at California state park where dad was killed while camping with daughters

Whoa! That's new info. Prior reports say he was shot "in" the tent while sleeping. I can't imagine random shots from outside, perhaps a distance away as some witnesses have said, fatally wounding a prone adult sleeper in the upper torso, and not touching his two kids. That seems almost impossible to me.

Shooting Death Of Man In Malibu Creek State Park Now A Murder Investigation

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department requested information related to the murder of Tristan Beaudette, who was shot and killed on June 22 while camping with his two daughters in Malibu Creek State Park near the 1900 block of Las Virgenes Road in Calabasas, according to a Sheriff’s Department statement.

Beaudette was shot once in the upper chest, according to homicide detectives. No one else was injured, and no arrests have been reported. A motive for the shooting is unknown.

This story is just so sad, I have been thinking about it all day. This article quotes the police as saying “the firearm has not been found.” https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-father-killed-malibu-creek-20180625-story.html?outputType=amp

Just my opinion, but I think this is related to the previous shootings at the campground. Perhaps some deranged person who started out firing a little more wildly, but has been getting more and more comfortable & serious about hurting someone. One of the cars that was shot, the woman was sleeping in the car— so it does seem she was an intended victim, rather than just the car itself.

Very scary.
This story is just so sad, I have been thinking about it all day. This article quotes the police as saying “the firearm has not been found.” https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-father-killed-malibu-creek-20180625-story.html?outputType=amp

Just my opinion, but I think this is related to the previous shootings at the campground. Perhaps some deranged person who started out firing a little more wildly, but has been getting more and more comfortable & serious about hurting someone. One of the cars that was shot, the woman was sleeping in the car— so it does seem she was an intended victim, rather than just the car itself.

Very scary.

And the guy sleeping in his hammock. Both shot at with a shotgun from 20 feet away. I wonder what type of weapon was used on Monday and Fridays incidents?

--
The victim's brother told our Los Angeles station KCBS there were two holes in Beaudette's tent, one in the top and one on the side. Police have not confirmed if the holes were bullet holes.
--​
Second shooting at California state park where dad was killed while camping with daughters

Wow, sounds totally random. Very scary.

Sheriffs confirm there was another shooting in the area around the same time Monday morning when a man's car was hit with a gunshot.

Wow, sounds totally random. Very scary.

Sheriffs confirm there was another shooting in the area around the same time Monday morning when a man's car was hit with a gunshot.

It should be unlikely that someone who murdered TB would return and shoot again in same area two days later. This is so bizarre.

There's also the mind frame of a killer who actually unzips and enters tent.

Also, unless TB was sleeping on his back, it would be difficult to shoot him in upper chest if he were lying down.

Hope we learn more about details like position and whether the two holes in tent are bullet holes.

It seems like if killer were crazed on PCP or meth he'd have been somewhere around immediately after and been found?

I believe it will be pretty straightforward for forensics to tell the angle and trajectory. They should be able to know how far away the shooter was, and general position. A single fatal bullet to the chest in a sleeping man doesn't sound as if it randomly came from gunfire blindly outside the tent.

--
--​

This article is so weird because it mentions a "second shooting" but doesn't mention when, involving who, etc. In the middle of the story it suggests it was the same day, but then alllll the way at the bottom, it says:

"The campgrounds are closed after two shootings in the last five days."

Are they burying the lede here or what?

Apparently (excluding tent cities and homeless camps) tent shootings/murder are rare, and they don't seem to follow any kind of pattern.

I've been googling and so far I've found:

Father shot two daughters, then self
Couple murdered inside their tent, homicide, method undisclosed, still unsolved

More common causes of tent death include fire, bears, drugs, weather, and trees.

And:
Kravchenko convicted of Perth's Last Duel Park death

The ASF then states Kravchenko, upon seeing the officers enter his home, started emptying his pockets and stated: “Well, uh, more or less, I was the one who did it. I was pretty drunk and high and out of my mind … I stabbed Jake … at Last Duel Park.​

..early on the morning of Aug. 7, “having consumed a large quantity of alcohol and drugs, he (Kravchenko) and his girlfriend had gotten into a fight. To cool off, he’d ridden around on his bike and then he went to the park to walk around. This is when he saw Laverdure who was outside his tent adjusting a tarp. He then saw him re-enter the tent. He went there to confront Laverdure … (because) he wanted to scare him but he never intended to kill him.”

Kohls said that Laverdure lived “a high risk lifestyle.” Laverdure also had a criminal record, and had served time in prison.​

Last edited:
This article is so weird because it mentions a "second shooting" but doesn't mention when, involving who, etc. In the middle of the story it suggests it was the same day, but then alllll the way at the bottom, it says:

"The campgrounds are closed after two shootings in the last five days."

Are they burying the lede here or what?

If you count Friday and today, it's been 5 days. Maybe that's what they meant?

If you count Friday and today, it's been 5 days. Maybe that's what they meant?

True, I think you're right. Still no explanation of the other shooting though....

I think it's been closed since Friday (the shooting) so I would think the shooting into the car was a week ago Monday.

Edited Friday to Monday

Please forgive me if I'm totally confused but wasn't that car shooting a year ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks