CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wire154a

Former Member
Reaction score
Man fatally shot at Malibu Creek State Park campground identified - L.A. Times

Father Shot While Camping At Malibu Creek State Park Identified - CBS L.A.

The father of two young girls fatally shot while camping early Friday morning in Malibu Creek State Park has been identified as 35-year-old Tristan Beaudette of Irvine.

Deputies said they have no leads, no suspect and no motive.

Beaudette leaves behind his wife, Erica, and two young daughters, aged 2 and 4.

Friend said Beaudette took the girls camping so that Erica could study for a big test she was studying for.
<modsnip>
--
Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator:
Daily Mail
Pharmaceutical executive and Berkeley grad father is shot and killed on a camping trip when a bullet hit him while he was in a tent with his daughters, aged 2 and 4
  • Tristan Beaudette, 35, died on Friday when he was shot at a campsite in Malibu Creek State Park in Calabasas, California
  • Police found him bleeding in his tent but he was pronounced dead at the scene
  • The pharmaceutical executive had taken his two daughters, aged two and four, away so his wife could study for an exam
  • Police said they were called to the campground following a 911 report of shots being fired at about 4.45am
  • His daughters were not injured in the shooting
  • Police are treating his death as a homicide but so far have no motive or suspect

Eight confirmed shootings. TB is one. Seven other dates listed below.

7 Other Unsolved Shootings Around Malibu Creek State Park Where Father Was Killed

Four of the shootings were in the California State Park jurisdiction. Those occurred on:

Nov. 3, 2016
Nov. 9, 2016
Jan. 7, 2017
July 30, 2017

The other three were in the sheriff’s department jurisdiction.

June 6, 2017
July 22, 2017
June 18, 2018

Wow. Can we fill in any more blanks about these shootings?

1. 11-3-16 - The shooting of the wildlife biologist in Tapia Park in a hammock while sleeping 200 yards from Malibu Canyon Road. Shotgun blast to the face. Pellets. Hit his arm that was over his head. Fired at close range. STATE PARK JURIS.
2. 11-9-16 ?? STATE PARK. JURIS.
3. 1-7-17 - Young woman and her boyfriend sleeping in a car at the Malibu Creek Park. Heard gun shot @ 5:00 a.m. Found a slug in the car the next morning. Fired form 20 feet away. Would have hit her if it was n inch higher. Cops probe two MORE shootings at a Malibu park | Daily Mail Online STATE PARK JURIS.
4. 6-6-17 - Shooting reported in the area. I'm not sure what, when, where. SHERIFF JURIS.
5. 7-22-17 - No information I could find. Anyone? SHERIFF JURIS.
6. 7-30-17 - ?? STATE PARK JURIS.
7. 6-18-18 - Shots fired at a Tesla on Malibu canyon Road. Bullet hit car. No one injured. There were five shootings at and near a Malibu park over two years. Why didn't authorities alert the public until father was killed? SHERIFF JURIS.
8. 6-22-18 @ 4:45 a.m. TB. Malibu Creek Park. Shot while inside the tent. Shot to the head. Possible two gun shot holes to tent. STATE PARK JURIS.

Last edited:
I am still leaning towards the majority of these shootings are related to TB. LE didn’t out right say they weren’t related, they just haven’t found eveidence that they are yet. I am glad they are exploring all options. In all honesty, I am sure they hope they are not related because the lack of warning people at the campground, could open them up to a lawsuit from TB’s family and other shooting victims. I do find it odd that the park service was forthcoming about the shootings that occurred and when, but LASD isn’t giving any specifics other than the dates of what occurred in their jurisdiction. Maybe they truly believe those 3 are unrelated?

Wow. Can we fill in any more blanks about these shootings?

1. 11-3-16 - around 3am The shooting of the wildlife biologist in Tapia Park in a hammock while sleeping 200 yards from Malibu Canyon Road. Shotgun blast to the face. Pellets. Hit his arm that was over his head. Fired at close range.7 Other Unsolved Shootings Linked To Malibu Creek State Park Where Father Was Killed
2. 11-9-16 ?? STATE PARK. JURIS.
3. 1-7-17 - Young woman and her boyfriend sleeping in a car at the Malibu Creek Park. Heard gun shot @ 5:00 a.m. Found a slug in the car the next morning. Fired form 20 feet away. Would have hit her if it was n inch higher. Cops probe two MORE shootings at a Malibu park | Daily Mail Online STATE PARK JURIS.
4. 6-6-17 - Shooting reported in the area. I'm not sure what, when, where. SHERIFF JURIS.
5. 7-22-17 - No information I could find. Anyone? SHERIFF JURIS.
6. 7-30-17 - ?? STATE PARK JURIS.
7. 6-18-18 - Shots fired at a Tesla on Malibu canyon Road. Bullet hit car. No one injured. There were five shootings at and near a Malibu park over two years. Why didn't authorities alert the public until father was killed? SHERIFF JURIS.
8. 6-22-18 @ 4:45 a.m. TB. Malibu Creek Park. Shot while inside the tent. Shot to the head. Possible two gun shot holes to tent. STATE PARK JURIS.

According to this article the biologist was shot around 3am. 7 Other Unsolved Shootings Linked To Malibu Creek State Park Where Father Was Killed I added this time to the list in this quote. In my opinion the time of day fits in perfectly with some of the other shootings so does the weapon at least in some other cases (since we dont know the weapon yet for all shootings). Considering the other cases I just cant see who however did this was doing anything else at 3am in a dark park than trying to shoot this man up close. I also think it would be interesting to find out whether the biologist had any conversations with a random person at the park during the daytime hours or did he see anybody that somehow stood out to him. It seems hard to believe that the shooter just kind of discovered him in his hammock. Unless he was visible from the road?

I wonder whether the park staff has found any evidence of animal cruelty in the same time frame as the shootings? Or any illegally shot deer?

So there were 7 other Unsolved Shootings at this park but no one was killed but TB who was shot in the head. I wonder why the other shootings didn't kill anyone. I would think if a killer was on the loose, he would actually have killed more than one, which was TB. I must say that this one is a strange case and I don't know what to think. At first I thought it could have been a family member, yes, yes, I know, but that is where my mind usually goes at first. Then I thought maybe TB had a scuffle with another camper who then later came back and killed TB. I wish we had more to go on, and we may never really know.

So there were 7 other Unsolved Shootings at this park but no one was killed but TB who was shot in the head. I wonder why the other shootings didn't kill anyone. I would think if a killer was on the loose, he would actually have killed more than one, which was TB. I must say that this one is a strange case and I don't know what to think. At first I thought it could have been a family member, yes, yes, I know, but that is where my mind usually goes at first. Then I thought maybe TB had a scuffle with another camper who then later came back and killed TB. I wish we had more to go on, and we may never really know.

Imo you shoot at people enough times you are eventually going to kill someone. Don't forget that at least two others were shot at close range at their heads with a shotgun.

Last edited:
I had the schizophrenic/bipolar neighbor that I think shot up the cars, it wasn’t proven but it fit. The other thing about him is he liked to walk at night. We would be coming home late from Dallas (2AM) and he would be out walking on the road. Leave before dawn for a business meeting and he would be walking. We did see him out walking during the day too. We had to be careful at night though because he pretty much wore black and Camo all the time which made him almost impossible to see without being almost on him in the car.

Also in my experience that first gun shot is was wakes you up but you aren’t sure what it was. Successive gun shots are what you hear. Last night for example some one was firing off rounds at about 2AM (again). I’m assuming the first round woke up up. Then there were 7 shots, I counted and then a pause and 8 more. I live in rural area in SE TX and someone around here likes to shoot in the middle of the night. I like to think it’s the lady down the way protecting her free range chickens and ducks from predators. It’s also why I keep my animals locked up tight at night. My neighbor is a county sheriff and he has said as long as they don’t do property damage or harm anyone/thing it’s legal.

I don’t know CA/county/city laws for the area. I would assume they are interviewing people who live in the area to see how often they hear gun fire. If they only hear gunfire when vehicles are being damaged that to me says someone is specifically shooting those types of targets. If they hear gun fire routinely I lean towards more of a missed target. That would make all these related though, and the information they are releasing doesn’t make it seem that way.

I spent some time digitally walking down the main road on GoogleMaps from the intersection down past the Hindu temple just to get a better feel for the area and because i wanted to look for potential camera locations. Wow it sure seems remote and looks like it would be very dark at night. The location for the car that was shot at the Monday before TB's shooting is marked in Crimemapping.com on the intersection. (I will add the link/screenshot to this in a minute) Obviously this is a block location but maybe the car was stopped at a traffic light right in the intersection? We dont know that currently. I couldnt see any cameras there on first glance. There is a way off of the main road that leads to the temple further down. Once you get to the temple entrance there is a big white gate to the parking lot. Its probably safe to assume that could be closed at night. I dont see this is a spot to secretely park at night myself.

I don't know much about tents but if I was in one, I wouldn't want someone on the outside getting in. So, how does someone get into a tent if it's zipped from the inside? How did BIL get into the tent to find TB? And this would explain why he was shot from the outside into the tent.

I had the schizophrenic/bipolar neighbor that I think shot up the cars, it wasn’t proven but it fit.

Schizophrenia and bipolar disorder are two different illnesses.

Suggesting someone shot up cars due to a mental illness perpetuates stigma. People with serious mental illnesses have enough to deal with without us adding in suspicion, unproven assumptions, and random accusations.

I don't know whether this is relevant. Probably not.

I took a drive around the area in Google Maps, just to get a better feel for the area.

The first thing I noticed is that only someone from a hilly part of the country would call the Malibu Creek area flat. The campground itself is fairly level, but there are hills all around. The Google car seems to have gone around in the middle of a late summer day, and the area is packed. There were cars parked at the side of the road all along Mulholland, though not so much on Las Virgenes.

I "drove" down from highway 101 through Liberty Canyon. It descends fairly sharply, giving a beautiful view across the valley. Just before you get to Mulholland, there's a big scenic turnout with a sign for the Santa Monica mountains where you can stop to admire. There's a lake to the right (Malibu Lake, I think?) In front of you is Las Virgenes Creek, and as the ground begins to rise again on the other side, you can see at least part of the campground. I think.

It's 1.2 miles by the road from the pullout to the campground: Google Maps
But the road is fairly roundabout; it's probably only about three-quarters of a mile as the crow, or a bullet, would fly. That's well within range of a high-powered rifle, though you'd probably need to be a trained sniper to shoot into a tent.

It looks like major parts of the campground are probably visible from most of Mulholland, and from the Sepulveda Adobe museum uphill from Mulholland. And there are trails all over that ridge. Terrain view shows it pretty clearly, if you're used to reading terrain maps: Google Maps

I can't tell exactly which sites are visible. But basically, if you were a trained sniper or big-game hunter, there are a number of places where you could wait to get a shot. I would think that if you waited for somebody to go to pee, or check their mail, or whatever, the light would be quite visible and make an easy target.

Like I said, I'm probably mistaken about this, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea