UK - Healthcare worker arrested on suspicion of murder/attempted murder of a number of babies, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was just coming to share this.. Healthcare worker arrested on suspicion of murdering eight babies

Detectives investigating the death of 17 babies at a Cheshire hospital have arrested a medic on suspicion of murder.

The woman was arrested on Tuesday morning on suspicion of the murder of eight babies and the attempted murder of a further six babies.

In total, police are looking at the deaths of 17 babies and 15 non-fatal collapses at the neonatal unit at the Countess of Chester Hospital between March 2015 and July 2016.

Another Beverly Allitt?

Murder arrest over hospital baby deaths
Officers have been investigating the deaths of 17 newborns at the neonatal unit between March 2015 and July 2016.

A spokesman said the probe also covered 15 "non-fatal collapses".
hey found the Countess of Chester Hospital NHS Foundation Trust had a neonatal death rate of 1.91 for every 1,000 live births that year.

This was the highest out of the 43 trusts of a similar size it was compared with, which had an average of 1.27 neonatal deaths for every 1,000 live births.

There were also 5.42 extended perinatal deaths - deaths within four weeks - for every 1,000 births, including stillbirths. The average for similar sized maternity units was 4.73 deaths per 1,000 births."

Beverley Allitt is serving her term of 13 life sentences in Rampton (secure psychiatric hospital) after she was “diagnosed” with Munchausens by Proxy.

This woman has killed twice as many children. It has to be a severe mental health issue. Which came first, wanting to be a nurse or wanting to kill?

A woman held on suspicion of the murder of eight babies and the attempted murder of another six at a hospital is 28-year-old nurse Lucy Letby.

_102373039_549d8ce2-0ab2-456d-997f-305a46e771dd.jpg

Baby deaths arrest woman is nurse

https://nypost.com/2018/07/04/frien...dhearted-nurse-charged-with-murdering-babies/

Letby was also active in a $4 million fundraising campaign to build a new neonatal unit at the hospital

“I hope the new unit will provide a greater degree of privacy and space,” she told The Chester & District Standard in supporting the campaign.
BBM ... yes no doubt privacy would come in handy if you wanted free reign to murder some innocent babies eh

Seriously this case is a headscratcher, I wasn't imagining it to be a young woman newly into the profession tbh. Somebody much older, more bitter and experienced was what I had my money on. I guess we'll wait and see how this plays out. If they have the right person, for one. And if it's mental illness, or just plain evil.

I don't know if I've got this right or not but the number of deaths being investigated seems to be higher than the deaths recorded for the unit.

Police were asked to investigate the deaths of eight babies in May 2017, a probe which has since widened to include nine more.

Baby deaths arrest woman is nurse

Officers have been investigating the deaths of 17 newborns at the neonatal unit between March 2015 and July 2016.

A spokesman said the probe also covered 15 "non-fatal collapses".
Murder arrest over hospital baby deaths

Number of babies who died at the facility
Figures show the number of babies who died at the facility rose in 2015 and 2016.

2009 - 3

2010 - 1

2011 - 3

2012 - 3

2013 - 2

2014 - 3

2015 - 8

2016 - 5

Chester healthcare worker arrested for 'the murder of 8 babies' | Daily Mail Online

Her friends and family must be in absolute shock, an attractive young lady with a respected career helping others. Imagine how utterly sickened they must be right now.

Much as I hate that our vital services have become crazily overwhelmed with red tape, statistics and data collection, it's a small mercy that the stark facts above have caught this woman out.

British neonatal nurse arrested on suspicion of murdering 8 babies | Daily Mail Online

Investigations underway at a second hospital where LL had undertaken a placement for extra training.

I have a horrible feeling this could get worse.

All IMO
I was actually going to suggest she may have been connected to another hospital given the anomaly in the statistics quoted above, but then I thought that would have been reported originally so I sat on my hands. This doesn't bear thinking about.

Apparently the accused nurse is an only child, did she enjoy being the only one?
Wondering if the parents experienced the tragedy of losing any potential siblings the accused may have had.........?
complete speculation, imo.

To be fair, noting this infamous Toronto case.
The baby killer at Toronto's Sick Kids was rubber - Macleans.ca
The baby killer at Toronto’s Sick Kids was rubber
The real culprit for a wave of deaths in the early 1980s was a compound found in seals on IVs and syringes
by Brian Bethune
Dec 22, 2011
"Between June 1980 and March 1981, baby deaths spiked 625 per cent at Sick Kids’ cardiac unit—43 cases in all. Autopsies belatedly performed as death inexorably followed upon death seemed to show poisonous levels of digoxin. Investigators focused on Nelles, because she was (apparently) on duty for 24 of the deaths, and because she had the temerity to ask for a lawyer. Later, the Grange inquiry managed to cast a lifelong cloud of suspicion over another nurse, Phyllis Trayner (now dead), while ruling eight of the deaths as murders.

So what really happened to those children? A cluster of factors, according to Hamilton. They were very sick, and it took only the tiniest of nudges—natural or deliberate—to push them across death’s threshold. And that push was coming with increasing force. MBT, a chemical compound in the rubber seals used in IV lines and disposable plastic syringes, was leeching into the contents of those devices, bringing chances of life-threatening anaphylactic shock—which is how Hamilton, a radiologist from London, Ont., encountered it—and of death by accumulated toxins. The problem grew, unseen, as the era of unit-dose syringes dawned around 1980. Designed to eliminate overdose errors, prepackaged unit doses had three-year shelf lives—all the longer for the MBT to leech into the contents.

The smallest, most fragile patients, the cardiac babies, were most at risk: more injections, more transfusions, more poison, more chances of crossing the threshold. And if circumstances were cruelly conspiring against the children, so too were they taking aim at the accused nurses. The tests used to measure the digoxin levels in the autopsied babies were less than useless. They consistently misread MBT as digoxin, and failed to take into account that digoxin in the hearts of cardiac patients spreads through the body postmortem, giving a false reading of how much was present during life."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708