Thailand - FOUND ALIVE - Officials Believe 12 Boys And Coach Trapped In Cave , 23 June 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Claus Rasmussen, who is part of the rescue team, said the boys have told divers they heard dogs barking, a rooster crowing and children playing. That information now has teams looking at whether there is a chimney or hole they can access instead of trying to get the boys out through the water.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/07/04/asia/thai-cave-rescue-intl/index.html

That would be great!

Oh, that sounds hopeful. They're apparently 1km underground, right? From what I recall of the area (I was in Huay Xai to cross over to Laos) it was very hilly, very green and there were several small villages or smallholdings dotted about. Fingers crossed they might be able to identify the kids/dogs/roosters and find another way out.

I believe this will help the boys tremendously (I'm certain it already has):

"The coach was asked how could he help the kids stay alive inside the cave. He said when he was a monk he used to practise deep meditation in the cave for months. So he knows how to keep everyone's mind calm and how to survive in the cave. "

News about #ThamLuang on Twitter

Oh that is good news! Yes that should help.

From this update 1 hour ago: A group of 30 divers in wet suits
and with supplies is seen approaching area of cave. Sounds like
some may exit today.

Latest on Thai cave rescue as boys wait to hear escape plan

"The Army today sent a team of 31 frogmen from the special force and the 21st Infantry Regiment to assist the Navy SEAL team in the mission to extract the 13 survivors out of the flooded cave."

31 army frogmen to join SEAL team in extraction mission - Thai PBS English News

Oh that is good news! Yes that should help.

Yes, I believe all Thai boys have to be novice monks for a year or two in their later teens, all will have practised regular meditation already. Fingers crossed the Buddhist mindset (which, in my opinion, is possibly the loveliest world religion) will get them through this ordeal.

Thanks for this information, Elainera.

They even have training in "combat diving"! They have been trained to "expect" obstacles which will be so helpful in this situation.

"Army deputy spokesperson Colonel Sirichan Ngathong said today that Army Commander-in-Chief General Gen Chalermchai Sitthisart ordered the frogmen to be flown to Chiang Rai to assist in the rescue mission."

"She said that the 32 frogmen had undergone training in combat diving and a course in special diving."

"The Army today sent a team of 31 frogmen from the special force and the 21st Infantry Regiment to assist the Navy SEAL team in the mission to extract the 13 survivors out of the flooded cave."

31 army frogmen to join SEAL team in extraction mission - Thai PBS English News

Last edited:
Survivors to be extracted one by one: Chiang Rai governor - Thai PBS English News

"He said the extraction plan is being adjusted because there would be difficulty bringing all the 12 young footballers and their coach out simultaneously even if they are physically healthy. The scenario is apparently based on the assumption that they may have to dive their way out of the flooded cave."

"Nonetheless, the governor stressed that draining water out of the cave still remains top priority. The rescue teams have been working around the clock to drain the flood waters out and block water from outside from flowing into the cave."

Do I have this right? The scuba experts say it is too dangerous to try to bring them out.

While those who know the cave and monsoon season say it is too dangerous to leave them inside because the entire area will/may flood.

ETA: I'm in no way giving up on these kids and don't mean to sound pessimistic.

Last edited:
Do I have this right? The scuba experts say it is too dangerous to try to bring them out.

While those who know the cave and monsoon season say it is too dangerous to leave them inside because the entire area will/may flood.

ETA: I'm in no way giving up on these kids and don't mean to sound pessimistic.

Both are right imo. It's dangerous to leave, it's dangerous to wait it out. Rock - hard place unfortunately.

The only option' It now seems swimming with scuba gear through muddy water in the dark cave is the only way out for the boys - with the added urgency to move before rain raises the water level again. This demonstration of swimming through murky water makes it appear even easier than the test that lies ahead for the Wild Boar football team to reach the outside world safely.

Perilous exit dive only way out for boys.

Edit for clarification... This isn't a picture from the cave, this is a picture of "normal" murky water . Cave is worse.

c1_1496898_180704044222_620x413.jpg

Last edited:

I haven't seen a definitive plan yet. From the sounds of all
reports, my speculation only, is that we will shortly, like today
hear about some of the boys along with the divers exiting the caves.
fingers and toes crossed for their success in this harrowing attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam