Identified! FL - St Petersburg, Skeletal Remains in War Memorial Park, Mar'16 - Robert Higgins

Medical privacy laws don't usually allow that kind of search.
LE can gain access to medical records by court approval if there is suspicion of foul play, which could be possible in this case. Although, deceased could have previously been missing "One or both hands".
Unidentified Person Case
Details of Recovery
Inventory of Remains
One or both hands not recovered

LE can gain access to medical records by court approval if there is suspicion of foul play, which could be possible in this case. Although, deceased could have previously been missing "One or both hands".
Unidentified Person Case
Details of Recovery
Inventory of Remains
One or both hands not recovered

Yes, if they have a specific record they want to look at.

But most judges won't approve a warrant/subpoena to go through hundreds of records that might or might not be relevant. It's called a "fishing expedition."

I'm bad with faces, so I'll defer to others on that. But the disparity in fractures is a problem.

Though since Wingler has a knife wound on the left side, it's possible that he had other injuries on the same side, and the person who made the missing persons report didn't know about them.

The time frame is pretty good.

But do you guys see the resemblance in the pictures too?
I'm bad with faces, so I'll defer to others on that. But the disparity in fractures is a problem.

Though since Wingler has a knife wound on the left side, it's possible that he had other injuries on the same side, and the person who made the missing persons report didn't know about them.

The time frame is pretty good.
^^ ditto ^^ I was just reviewing same specifics.

Missing Person Case
Missing Person / NamUs #MP31131
John William Wingler, Male, White / Caucasian

Date of Last Contact
November 11, 2015

Scar/mark
Left Rib/torso area from stabbing years ago

Unidentified Person Case
Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP15482
Male, White / Caucasian

Date Found
March 8, 2016

Estimated Year of Death

Estimated PMI
5 Weeks

Other distinctive physical characteristic
Ortho plates in right upper extremity. Possible limp due to prior left extremity trauma.

Hi Guys,
This maybe a long shot and the fractures etc. don't really match.
But whilst browsing namus and "the lost and found" I found this case: Unidentified Person Case
So then I searched namus somemore and found this case: Missing Person Case
And personally I thought they looked pretty similar.
So I did some work in photoshop and made an overlay of the pictures and the eyes, mouth and nose match almost perfectly. I've included the pics.

Is it just me or do you guys see it too?

I think this is a good possibility - especially after looking at the 3D model that was made where the nose matches much better. I don't know why they made the eyes brown in the sketch, but in the report the eye color is listed as -, so that doesn't make John Winger a ruleout. I haven't checked to see if both profiles have full DNA available which should mean they have already been cross-checked? I'll see if I can find any more information on John Winger's disappearance that might lead to Florida.

Good find!

There is a facebook page setup and his truck is also still missing so Florida seems like a possiblity. Maybe reach out to that group and see what people who know him think of this possibility?

Trying to add this photo I found online to compare to the 3D recreation- search is still active and there was an event held in Virginia in 2018. This is rural southwestern VA, I am sure the local PD in charge would be happy to be tipped off if you are comfortable calling it in. The fact that they found a watch might make it easier to ID - in the 2018 article his son is quoted so he has close family that is looking for him.

586d488f21bc6.image.jpg
Original

There is a facebook page setup and his truck is also still missing so Florida seems like a possiblity. Maybe reach out to that group and see what people who know him think of this possibility?
Hi J_in_c,
I’ll contact the Facebook group and go from there. I’m from the Netherlands so contacting the local PD might be a bit difficult. But after seeing the picture you found online of him with grey hair i’m even more convinced it really could be him.

J_in_c, they have dna from John William Wingler. But I can’t find if they have it from the UID.

Hi J_in_c,
I’ll contact the Facebook group and go from there. I’m from the Netherlands so contacting the local PD might be a bit difficult. But after seeing the picture you found online of him with grey hair i’m even more convinced it really could be him.

Sounds like a good plan. I live in the same state (Virginia), about a 3 hour drive from where John Wingler went missing.

If you don't get any reply from the facebook groups (I saw his missing person post on both "Help Save the Next Girl" and "AWARE Foundation" facebook pages), another option may be to reach out to the local newspaper (this is a small town and they would know where to pass on any information).

Excellent sleuthing, the resemblance and time frame are very strong factors.

Here are some of the local newspaper articles I have found -
Search goes on for missing Whitetop man | GalaxGazette.com
Authorities continue to search for two separate missing SWVa residents

Sounds like a good plan. I live in the same state (Virginia), about a 3 hour drive from where John Wingler went missing.

If you don't get any reply from the facebook groups (I saw his missing person post on both "Help Save the Next Girl" and "AWARE Foundation" facebook pages), another option may be to reach out to the local newspaper (this is a small town and they would know where to pass on any information).

Excellent sleuthing, the resemblance and time frame are very strong factors.

Here are some of the local newspaper articles I have found -
Search goes on for missing Whitetop man | GalaxGazette.com
Authorities continue to search for two separate missing SWVa residents
I found the “Find John Wingler” Facebook page run by his son. Do you think it would be ok to message him and explain who I am and then asking him if his dad had any fractures like the UID?

Edit: I joined the group and they started it to discuss theories about his disappearance.

I found the “Find John Wingler” Facebook page run by his son. Do you think it would be ok to message him and explain who I am and then asking him if his dad had any fractures like the UID?

Edit: I joined the group and they started it to discuss theories about his disappearance.

Straight away, I would tell them about the resemblance to the John Doe in Florida and you can mention the fractures and surgical implants.

It is pretty far away for him to have driven, but they mention in the missing person post he was endangered due to a medical condition. It is possible that there was a medical issue that caused a mental lapse that led to him driving to Florida (and perhaps to the VA hospital there). It would be wonderful to give a John Doe his name back and to help a family left in limbo. And if it is not a match, no harm done.

Keep us posted!

I haven't heard from the daughter in law yet. But I looked up where he is from and where the UID was found.

Just imagine that you are confused and get in your car and drive.
What is more likely? That you take a lot of turns and exits, or do you mostly drive in a straight line with the least amount of turns and exits possible?
I would think the last one. Your mind is blank and you just drive, right?

Well if I fill in where John William Wingler was last seen,Whitetop, Virginia, and the city of St. Petersburg in Florida where the John Doe was found. Guess what you see. It's pretty much get on the I95 and keep driving.

I'm getting more and more convinced it is John William Wingler.

I'll keep you updated as soon as I hear from his Daughter in law

Attachments

• Whitetop Virginia to St. Petersburg Florida.jpg
    Whitetop Virginia to St. Petersburg Florida.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 3
I just got an message from his Daughter in law and he did not have any plates in his arm. So the John Doe is not John Wingler. I have asked her if it was ok to start a post about him here on websleuths as he is not on here yet. She would like that very much.

At least we ruled this match out.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288