Thailand - FOUND ALIVE - Officials Believe 12 Boys And Coach Trapped In Cave , 23 June 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting article, thank you. It would be wonderful if they had verbal communication. I think it would be more reassuring that simple touch.

Another advantage ~ the full face masks would keep water off the boy's faces. New divers often feel claustrophobic with water on their faces, never mind dirty dark water.
I saw in one articles the officials have put out a request for size
Small and Extra Small full face masks. The article mentions they
only come in 2 sizes- would guess they're made for adults- so the
size request could be a problem. I would guess sizing is crucial
just as it is with half face masks. Some of those boys are really
tiny and an adult mask would never keep water out and seal
up properly. they might be forced to do a quick, creative modification on the smallest size.

I don't know. I have never used one; they are quite expensive.
I trued to research, but couldn't find anything definitive on if they would work in caves. If what I read is correct, it sounds like they are kind of difficult to use. Regardless, I hope they have them. Any sound at any point would have to be reassuring, as opposed to being in a total sensory blackout.

I think the latest reports were rain expected on Friday. So I bet they make the rescue attempt tomorrow. One more day of rest, nourishment, hydration and lessons with the masks and the swimming/diving.

This is from yesterday, but I missed it

THAM LUANG CAVE, Thailand — The British diver John Volanthen was placing guide lines to try to get closer to 12 missing boys and their soccer coach trapped in a flooded cave network when he ran out of line himself, forcing him to the water’s surface.

There they were, all 13, staring at him through the light of his headlamp. After 10 days of efforts racing against monsoon rains and rising water in the cave, the search for the missing soccer team had finally succeeded.

If his line had been even 15 feet shorter, he would have turned back and not reached them on that dive Monday night. The group would have spent at least another night on its own in the pitch black, not knowing if a rescue would ever come.

“Literally, he finished his line, stuck the line reel in the mud, and they were looking down,” Vernon Unsworth, his friend and fellow cave explorer, said Tuesday.

More at the link

Thailand Cave Rescue Turns to How to Extract Trapped Soccer Team

I am deepful grateful to see so much good in the world!

This is heartlifting and brings tears to my eyes thinking of the courage and incredible compassion of those who are risking their lives to save these precious boys.

Everyone involved in this rescue mission, regardless of their role, is magnificent.

Yes they really are! Makes me feel good to be part of the human species. We do have our uplifting moments.

Also so touching was the story a few days ago of a boy, same age as the 12 in the cave, I think he knows them and went down to the cave to help. But since he's only a boy he couldn't do much, so he started picking up/collecting trash around the site.

It was in one of the Guardian Live feeds.

Fortunately for the expert divers, the boys are pretty small and
not full sized adults. If something did go wrong during a rescue
trip it's not likely the smaller child would jeopardize the adult
diver.
I recall in Lifesaver Training and water recovery, a fighting, panicing adult sized victim can create major problems for
the rescuer and many times the victim fights the rescuer to
the point that they both may drown. I doubt that will be a
problem here due to the boys' sizes. But it also may be the
reason for sedating the boys.

Hypothetical question. Say the first boy gets out fine, but then on the second something goes wrong. You can get what I am saying. Do they continue to carry out extraction?

JMO, depends on the reason something went wrong. If the problem was technical or logistical then I'd suggest they'd stop and regroup. If it was that one boy panicked but that without the panic they think it would have been successful, then I think there's a chance they'd go back and get the next kid without telling the boys. It would also, imho, depend on where it goes wrong and if there's somewhere out of the way where the body can be wedged for later retrieval without getting in the way of the next rescue attempt.

Hopefully they won't have to face such awful decisions. From what I've read of the British divers, John and Rick, they should be used to having to make decisions like this, but they will also do everything they can first to avoid anything going wrong and to ensure they have multiple back-up plans in place, like having the spare oxygen tanks dotted along the route and other things I wouldn't know about.

The rescuers will do the best they can for all the victims. Some may be weaker and not as healthy overall. I'd think it's like
during a fire, not all victims make it out alive but the firefighters
keep trying even if some don't make it.

Exactly, and one of the Brits is a former firefighter. So in that situation in a fire, if the person/people inside are at higher risk inside than from attempted rescue, then surely you back and deal with the death later on.

Unlike in a fire, they should at least be able to stop and analyze what went wrong and whether the risk-benefit equation has changed as a result, and then make the decision based on that.

All JMO.

Just speculating...but I think they might start with the boy they think will have the best chance, be the most successful, just to see how things go.

That would help the others feel confident, if they see that it worked. And it would help them assess how it would work overall, with someone less able to use the mask or swim, etc.

Thai cave rescue: boys 'learning to dive' as authorities race against time to free them

Ruengrit Changkwanyuen, a coordinator of the Thai contingent of the international cave diving team that located the boys on Monday night, said the group was on high ground and safe from flash flooding.

“But rescuers have to work quickly because by Friday a storm is coming, and if the rain starts again the cave is going to be fully flooded,” Changkwanyuen said. “If that happens it will be almost impossible to send supplies or keep in touch with them.”

<...>

Thai officials said on Tuesday that no extraction was imminent. “Today we won’t be able to,” Osatanakorn said at a morning briefing.

“We have to be 100% sure all kids will come out at the same time. Some might be ready before others. If they’re not ready, or it’s risky, we will not take them out.”

<...>

The boys will be dressed in wetsuits, boots and helmets, and divers will use an 8mm static rope that is already in place to guide them through the cave system, said Changkwanyuen.

It is unlikely the boys will carry their own 12-litre oxygen tanks – they are more likely to be provided the oxygen from a navy diver’s supply. In addition to this primary supply, fully filled “stage tanks” are also in place every 25 to 50 metres along the route, allowing the boys quick access to oxygen if their stocks are running low.

Just speculating...but I think they might start with the boy they think will have the best chance, be the most successful, just to see how things go.

That would help the others feel confident, if they see that it worked. And it would help them assess how it would work overall, with someone less able to use the mask or swim, etc.

Do they have real-time comms from the entrance to the cave where the lads are stuck?

I'm wondering, how will they decide who they take first? The strongest? The tallest, the smallest, the bravest? Any thoughts on that?
I've thought about that also- just guessing they will take the most
physically strong ones while the others regain their strength. Some of these boys were so weak when found, they couldn't stand.
Also how fast they each learn to stay calm and use the diving equipment could come into play. there will be some brave, calm
and potentially good students and then some will be scared, claustophobic, weaker pysically etc.

Years ago I taught children and babies to swim at YMCA pool.
Some children fight you when you try to teach them to dunk their
heads and hold their breath and other are very compliant.
I loved teaching babies, they were the calmest and took to water
like little fish. My own son at 14 mo. could swim like a little tadpole all over the pool. Just leaped in, held his breath and
dog paddled around. Babies figure it out fast.

Water diversion bypass to divert fresh water from reaching cave - Thai PBS English News

Royal Irrigation Department chief Thongplaew Kongchan said Wednesday that his officials and those from the Mineral Resources Department, Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation, PTT, Chevron Thailand and villagers joined hands to build the water diversion bypass after it was discovered on Tuesday that there is a creek at the southward end of Tham Luang or Martin Point that flows into the cave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77