UNSOLVED Oh - Pike County: 8 People From One Family Dead As Police Hunt For Killer(s) #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't it make you wonder why that is? This family has been painted as horrible people but the only proof they were doing anything illegal was an exaggeration made by Dewine himself. Each and every person killed that night is a victim. Why would anyone in LE make statements about the guilt of the Rhodens' without having the facts to back them up? It was said as if it were fact. What we know it there was no breaking down of a grow operation and if you grow up in Appalachia you know what the breaking down of a 500k operation looks like. So I am asking why do you think it was stated? Why do you think people keep bring up drugs where these victims are concerned? And my last one how many of you think this is probably something we are missing altogether?

I lied I have more. Dewine assumed there was weed and/or drugs right? Do you think someone else did too? Is it a fact KR had money laying around him?

BBM

Someone mentioned the Crystal Rodgers case so yesterday I spent a while listening to the interviews done with Nick and Brooks Houck. They are guilty as sin. All that "I don't remember" nonsense. Where were you last week? I don't remember. Where were you yesterday? I don't remember. Where are you right now? I don't remember. Those two are slicker than oil on ice. They found blood on a blanket in the trunk of Nicks police car. Brooks was the last to see her alive. He admitted they were arguing. They caught them both in several lies. But yet they have not been arrested or charged.

I do not think we are missing anything. I think that LE knows exactly who killed the R's. They have as much as told the public with their "laser focus" on the W's. They have as much as warned the public with that statement about any dealings anyone has with the W's. They just don't have enough to arrest them. I can imagine that LE got a whole lot of "I don't remembers and I don't knows" from the W's also.

JMO

I view the Rhodens as tragic victims. I think they were a very close and loving family and I think they refused to be bullied by a group of people who desperately wanted something the Rhodens had and refused to hand over to them. Custody of a child.

I think Dewine is an incredibly ambitious and intelligent man, but I also think he's made some strategic blunders in this case and this is something he doesn't want to talk about. So far, there is no success story to share. I think part of the problem is that he really doesn't understand the people in this region.

I'm not sure what his point was in mentioning a commercial grow op found on the property. I do agree this tainted some people's opinion of the Rhodens, whether he intended it or not. He seemed to think getting "tough" with the W's by raiding their property, after they had vacated the property, and putting their pictures out there would get the job done? Then he got tough with JW, and that didn't work either.

On the other side is Sheriff Reader. I believe the tears he shed in his interview last year were genuine and part of it is probably due to frustration because Dewine is in charge and I think Reader's hands are completely tied. I think LE knows who did this and why they did it and my guess is if Reader had the power, he'd get the job done or he'd die trying.

Personally, I don't think drugs were the motive and I don't think this was done by professionals, either. I have living country cousins who have the skills and the cool to carry out something like this, if so motivated. Our common Appalachian ancestors are in history books that detail the things they did to protect what they felt belonged to them. Right or wrong. The only thing that mattered to them was their own point of view and getting what they wanted. Many people were killed in the process.

As of now, the only people I am aware of who have gained anything at all from the hideous massacre of the Rhoden family are the W's. They have full possession of the child they desperately wanted.

This is all JMO.

I think it was a long time planned operation. The plans were drawn over a period of weeks to verify every detail. Segments were practiced in clearings just down the road from the R trailers. Then the written carefully thought out operation was shelved for the best opportunity for success. One night the mastermind decided the perfect time had arrived and the killers were called to prepare.

That night all the dreams any R family had would end. Three killers and their leader crept into the place the Rs felt safest, their homes.

The leader could not find it in her heart to kill children. But CRjr was to close to being a man and he had to go. No room for hot headed survivors 16 or not, he was to much like his father and would have had revenge in his heart for decades.

I do not think we are missing anything. I think that LE knows exactly who killed the R's. They have as much as told the public with their "laser focus" on the W's. They have as much as warned the public with that statement about any dealings anyone has with the W's. They just don't have enough to arrest them.

JMO

RSBM

This, exactly. There is only one motive that makes sense or holds any water.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. They're the first of this kind AFIK. Cincinnati.com did a little podcast last April which was mostly and interview with Sheriff Reader.

Noticed one mistake first off: They said there were cockfights going on at the Rhoden properties. There was no cockfighting going on, per DeWine.
wasn't alot of info but I guess if you knew nothing of the case it could be a good introduction

wasn't alot of info but I guess if you knew nothing of the case it could be a good introduction

I'm about half way through the podcast and it's pretty good. Some good analysis of Reader's & DeWine's statements and how they are sometimes contradictory. When they discuss Reader's tough talk to the local community it highlights ( for me) what we've now seen: that they make threats to the suspects, but the history in that county is to let off dangerous criminals, dropping charges. JMO.

They made a good point about Reader's quote after the Jody Barr story on leaving the warehouse where trailers were stored unguarded and unlocked. Reader was quoted saying they have plenty of good evidence to convict the killers when they find them. If the evidence is that good, why haven't they found them?

One disagreement with their argument on the autopsy report battle in the Ohio Supreme Court: The newspapers argued many times that they seek the autopsy reports (and have been doing this for decades if not longer) to help in writing stories. Ohio news media has historically used good judgment in not releasing information that would compromise the investigation, even after they've read the news. The law that DeWine, et al struck down in Ohio wasn't to stop allowing the general public to have access to copies of autopsy reports, it was a law that allowed the news media to have access to them.

Law was on the books for ages and news media always used good judgment in cooperation with LE. There was no legitimate reason for the Ohio Supremes to rule against it, nor for DeWine to take the case to court. JMO, DeWine was dishonest with the public in describing the law and why they wanted to overturn it.

Note: DeWine & BCI used this same strategy to keep the final autopsy report from Bryon Macron's family, after his mysterious death in Medina County, OH. It's how they do things, in the case of Bryon Macron, when local LE may be covering something up.

The reason the law historically requires open government records (like autopsy reports) is to help the public prevent government corruption. That hasn't changed.

Overall, a good podcast! I hope they keep following the case and do a follow up sometime.

Last edited:
Yes good point on that Reader quote in the Jody Barr report.You would think they had enough to at least take some one in for questioning.

Does it also seem odd they said that months before naming the W family as being in their "laser focus"? If they were so confident they had enough evidence against the killers, why didn't they move before the W's could leave for Alaska?

As little as they speak to the public, they sometimes send mixed messages.

All part of the unprecedented secrecy of this case. LE does not seem to want the public to know anything or be able to help solve this case. No proof of a commercial grow operation, no mention of harder drugs involved, no mention if something was likely taken, etc. is not how similar cases have been handled. Nothing about how this case is being handled makes sense. How many times are the crime scenes confiscated so no one can see them? The only two reporters pushing for answers are now working out of state at new jobs. How often does that happen?

Is there any way to force LE hand? From what I read earlier LE would have to make the autopsy reports public if tbe family asked. Why aren't they doing that? Do you think they don't know they can?

Is there any way to force LE hand? From what I read earlier LE would have to make the autopsy reports public if tbe family asked. Why aren't they doing that? Do you think they don't know they can?

No. Le is, for some reason, taking their time in bringing charges. It could very well be a political stall until after the governors November election.

After 2 1/4?years I believe the have all the evidence they are going to have. After keeping their secrets that Long people are inclined to keep them forever.

The only wild card I can see is the death of Violet Rhoden Taylor. Other than stating LE termed the death “suspicious” and they have a suspect, the investigation has become as locked down as the massacre if the 8 Rhodens.

Imo that’s troubling in and if itself.

Looking at statistics there are many disappearances and murders in Southern Ohio that have been treated the identical way.

Looking at it as an outsider, but from the Midwest, I see a bothersome pattern of inability for LE to investigate, indict and prosecute violent crime.

It is a poverty stricken area, but each resident is an American and each deserves the respect to be safe in their homes and justice as it’s called for. These murders are screaming for justice that apparently the current investigators can’t provide.
If they can’t accomplish it, then it’s time to bring in the FBI and maybe HOMELAND Security to solve it in the people’s behalf.

The fact that the two local reporters who were keeping close tabs on this case have both moved out of state is striking.

I am not generally a conspiracy-type person but I thought it was strange when the first reporter abruptly moved out of state. Then when the other reporter moved out of state it really got my attention.

Both of those reporters seemed to have genuine concern and interest in the Rhoden murders.

And then there is Jeff Ruby abruptly and publicity withdrawing his reward money. I grew up in Ohio and am very familiar with Ruby and his generosity, and his reversal of the reward is definitely out of character.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

No. Le is, for some reason, taking their time in bringing charges. It could very well be a political stall until after the governors November election.

After 2 1/4?years I believe the have all the evidence they are going to have. After keeping their secrets that Long people are inclined to keep them forever.

The only wild card I can see is the death of Violet Rhoden Taylor. Other than stating LE termed the death “suspicious” and they have a suspect, the investigation has become as locked down as the massacre if the 8 Rhodens.

Imo that’s troubling in and if itself.

Looking at statistics there are many disappearances and murders in Southern Ohio that have been treated the identical way.

Looking at it as an outsider, but from the Midwest, I see a bothersome pattern of inability for LE to investigate, indict and prosecute violent crime.

It is a poverty stricken area, but each resident is an American and each deserves the respect to be safe in their homes and justice as it’s called for. These murders are screaming for justice that apparently the current investigators can’t provide.
If they can’t accomplish it, then it’s time to bring in the FBI and maybe HOMELAND Security to solve it in the people’s behalf.

I could be wrong and it sure wouldn't be the first time but I don't think the FBI will get involved until the US Attorney for that area tells them to.

Why would Homeland Security get involved? I looked them up and couldn't find a sub-agency that would have jurisdiction.

I could be wrong and it sure wouldn't be the first time but I don't think the FBI will get involved until the US Attorney for that area tells them to.

Why would Homeland Security get involved? I looked them up and couldn't find a sub-agency that would have jurisdiction.

Homeland security has jurisdiction anywhere in the birders for anything involving mj grows.

Homeland security has jurisdiction anywhere in the birders for anything involving mj grows.

According to DeWine, Homeland Security was involved in the investigation. He didn't say what they did, but it was later assumed they investigated to see if there were connections to foreign cartels.

vindy.com | DeWine: Killers of 8 in southern Ohio knew about family, area

As of this year when LE noted there were still some officers working on the case, it's assumed there are no federal agencies still involved in the investigation.

Two agents from the state’s Bureau of Criminal Investigation and a member of the Pike County Sheriff’s Office remain assigned to the case full-time and work out of an office in the county, Junk said.

Rhoden family massacre: Here's where the investigation stands after 2 years

As for whether the FBI will get involved, I'm not sure. The AG has a close relationship with the US attorney's office in Cincinnati, which I believe, has Pike County in their jurisdiction.

The fact that the two local reporters who were keeping close tabs on this case have both moved out of state is striking.

I am not generally a conspiracy-type person but I thought it was strange when the first reporter abruptly moved out of state. Then when the other reporter moved out of state it really got my attention.

Both of those reporters seemed to have genuine concern and interest in the Rhoden murders.

And then there is Jeff Ruby abruptly and publicity withdrawing his reward money. I grew up in Ohio and am very familiar with Ruby and his generosity, and his reversal of the reward is definitely out of character.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

Absolutely!!! Both changing jobs would have been questionable on its own, but, both moving a thousand miles away is as bizarre as the way LE has handled this case...
Those two were the only reporters I know of that were pushing for answers and suddenly they are gone... What the h3ll is going on there...

According to DeWine, Homeland Security was involved in the investigation. He didn't say what they did, but it was later assumed they investigated to see if there were connections to foreign cartels.

vindy.com | DeWine: Killers of 8 in southern Ohio knew about family, area

As of this year when LE noted there were still some officers working on the case, it's assumed there are no federal agencies still involved in the investigation.

Rhoden family massacre: Here's where the investigation stands after 2 years

As for whether the FBI will get involved, I'm not sure. The AG has a close relationship with the US attorney's office in Cincinnati, which I believe, has Pike County in their jurisdiction.

I've wondered if the families could get the DOJ involved. Someone different has to get involved to get something accomplished the way it seems to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong