Thailand - FOUND ALIVE - Officials Believe 12 Boys And Coach Trapped In Cave , 23 June 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite contradicting prior reports posted, anyone think the extraction process has begun??? It's so quiet.
Every day since the boys got trapped it gets quiet around this time 12:00 AM Thailand time to about 6:00 am Thailand time. I personally don’t think they’re getting them out now. I think they’re resting up. im guessing it will happen around the time we are sleeping. Early in the morning our time. We will see!

Despite contradicting prior reports posted, anyone think the extraction process has begun??? It's so quiet.

Mmmm, I wish it had and wish we'd all be told when it's successfully completed but am afraid it has not begun. I'm afraid it may be too complex to get them out before the rain. Certainly hope to be wrong. But good question, based on recent silence.

I'm wondering, how will they decide who they take first? The strongest? The tallest, the smallest, the bravest? Any thoughts on that?

Strongest. Or whichever one is most comfortable with the diving and has picked it up best.

Yep, they need a "guinea pig" for want of a better word. Someone who can, literally, test the waters and see which areas/aspects need tweaking. So I think it will be whoever feels up to the challenge and who has picked up swimming and diving quickly.

An Australian newspaper said that they will begin extraction on Thursday- tomorrow.
A Chinese paper's headline today said "Monsoons Coming".

I think they're being smart. They have been focused on pumping the water out of the cave. Each hour that goes by the more water they get out. They said the risks are better the lower the water level and current is. So they take advantage of the sunny weather they've been having and pump away. I think they will continue to pump until they absolutely have to get the boys out (a day or two from now probably). By that time the water might be so low that it possibly cuts the risks of diving them out in half.

Am starting to lean toward keeping them there safely until post-monsoon season, with medical support, supplies, and top level efforts to pump and shore up their "safety zone." Nothing better than a swift, daring and successful rescue but too many factors could turn this into a tragedy --- lack of time training the children, the excess silt caused by single file evacuations, panic, and, worst of all, rain. I'd want my child out yesterday but at this point might vote to keep him there, hopefully safe, until water levels drop. Don't know nature or results of risk benefit analyses.

What a horrifying position for the families, volunteers and organizers.

In the time before the rains, there is no way to organize, let alone maneuver and perform, a sudden dash to safety, which would jeopardize lives of both rescuers and rescued beyond acceptable risk - and what, here, is acceptable risk? Not even time to figure that, in the time before the rains.

This is what scares me most from The Guardian article:

Volunteer divers involved with the search for the boys said bringing them out through the cave if it started to rain was fraught with risks. “It’s not the easiest way and it’s definitely the scariest way,” said Claus Rasmussen, one of the international team working with the Thai navy.

They're down to the wire, yet it's impossible to control or predict delays that might occur during evacuation and impossible to predict when rainfall will begin or safeguard against it.

Am starting to lean toward keeping them there safely until post-monsoon season, with medical support, supplies, and top level efforts to pump and shore up their "safety zone." Nothing better than a swift, daring and successful rescue but too many factors could turn this into a tragedy --- lack of time training the children, the excess silt caused by single file evacuations, panic, and, worst of all, rain. I'd want my child out yesterday but at this point might vote to keep him there, hopefully safe, until water levels drop. Don't know nature or results of risk benefit analyses.

What a horrifying position for the families, volunteers and organizers.

That was my original position. That they should wait it out.

But then I read opinions of medical consultants, painting a gloomy description of the potential dangers of 4 months in that cave.

They will be prone to disease and infection as time goes on. It will be constantly wet and very hard to keep the area clean of human waste, and refuse, over a 4 month period. So bacteria and disease will be surrounding them.

And there may be no way to connect with them from the outside for months at a time. No new supplies, no new support, once the floods begin. So they will be depressed, anxious, frightened and weak.

And there may be severe breathing problems, as the air may thin and even be toxic over time.

I think that they are right in trying to make the journey...

Would they continue installing the phone line if they were in the process of getting them out?

Wojciech Bojanowski‏Verified account @BojanowskiW

TODAY:
#13survivors learned to wear diving masks
1,5 km telephone cable was installed in the cave (2,5 km more to reach soccer team)
Water level in cave is dropping
The „situation room” of the #ThailandCaveRescue located in the middle of the jungle is working 24/7

Wojciech Bojanowski on Twitter

I think it's a good idea to continue with that while also working on other options. What if they got half the kids out and the rest were stuck down there? They'd need that line out. What if they to make an attempt and have to abort? Then they need to have the comms back to the cave where the boys are to tell the seals/divers with them to not send anyone else.

All of their options are terrifying. When you have expert cave divers protesting them diving the kids out and saying that it's the LAST thing they should do, it's scary.

Then there's the option of leaving them there. Okay, you can never predict the weather. They may have extra days of sun (a miracle) or hard core rain. In the beginning of this it was raining so hard the water levels were still rising with the pumps in the cave. What if they can't pump enough water out to bring them the supplies they need? What if the entire cave floods from monsoon weather and they ALL drown? Rescuers and children.

There are "possible" holes at the top of the mountain near where the boys are at. If they find one they can work with, they can rescue them by helicopter, lifting them out of the cave. But they're running low on time considering the unpredictable monsoon coming.

Then there is the drilling option. (My husband's favorite.) They don't seem to be considering that at all at this point.

So what are they to do?

I can understand why they've changed their minds 10098902 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77