Thailand - FOUND ALIVE - 12 Boys And Coach Still Trapped In Cave , 23 June 2018 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no:

Phuket boat sinks: Divers search for missing tourists in water off Thailand - CNN

"Divers are searching the hull of a sunken boat off the coast of southern Thailand for more than 50 passengers who are missing after a violent storm Thursday afternoon.

The Phoenix PC diving boat ran into trouble off the coast of the resort island of Phuket when a storm whipped up waves as high as five meters (16 feet), crashing them against the vessel and causing it to keel over.
There were believed to 105 passengers on board the capsized vessel, including 93 tourists, one guide and 11 crew members. Many were thought to be Chinese tourists vacationing at the Thai resort."

Dozens missing, at least 10 dead as storm sinks Thailand tourist boat off Phuket

I saw that story too. Heavens, how much can Thailand (and the world) take at this juncture? My heart goes out to the people struggling at sea now. Let's all pray for success at both rescues. This may be Thailand's finest hour, scary as it is.

Friday 6th July 2018

What operation? Which option?
What is proposed here?
What, How, When?

Chiang Mai CityNews - Rescue Updates: Teenager Football Team Found Alive in Cave

I am betting they are going to try to "swim" the young men out. The oxygen levels were dropping dramatically, and this may be the one shot they are going to bank on. Naturally, I could be wrong. In fact, I sort of HOPE it isn't this, as I keep projecting my fears of cave diving on to the situation. I reassure myself by thinking these young people and the rescuers are far braver than I could be. And when faced with adversity, people often can and do rise to the occasion.

“7m ago 03:50
Sarb Johal from the Joint Centre for Disaster Research at Massey University, an international centre for research and teaching in disaster risk and emergency management, has spoken about the psychological impact on the trapped boys.

He says that not only will they be psychologically disorientated but that “many of their basic physiological functions that depend upon circadian rhythms will be disturbed.”

From the perspective of those boys and their coach, the relief of being found may co-exist with the knowledge that they remain stuck and that their future remains uncertain. It’s hard to know for certain what they do and do not know about their chances of rescue in the short term, and how they may adapt to trying to deal with the possibility that rising floods waters may be a threat to their ability to survive their ordeal, or that they may remain trapped for weeks or months while people figure out the best plan or action.

We also know that the physical circumstances in which the boys and their coach are trapped also have the potential to cause harm. The lack of daylight over this period of time means that they may not only be psychologically disoriented, but that many of their basic physiological functions that depend upon circadian rhythms will be disturbed, such as sleep, hormonal functioning, core temperature, their feeding and drinking, and also how their gastrointestinal systems might be functioning.

Johal says that setting up circadian-based light, which triggers the release of serotonin much like the sun, within the cave might prove to the boys’ longterm health.

If circadian-based lighting can be established in the cave - should the boys actually have to establish themselves there for a long period or time - that may help to regularise some of these bodily functions and go a long way to helping to develop some kind of routine in day-to-day living in this extraordinary situation. Synchronising routines with the outside world through light and daily patterns of living might also be a powerful connection to establish a sense of hope.

Support for each other when they are trapped is also important - but situations may also become fraught when forced to stay together for an extended period of time with so much uncertainty and likely stress. It’s hard to know how it will play out but critical points may emerge, such as who may be selected to attempt escape first and how those choices are made. There are no easy answers to such dilemmas, and there may be many more to come.

He goes on to explain the mixed emotions that the rescuers must be currently experiencing, adding that they themselves will need care and support as the mission unfolds.

From the perspective of the rescuers, including the divers who have established contact with the trapped boys and coach, it is likely to be a time of mixed emotions. Joy at being able to find them alive, yet mixed with the reality of the challenge that lies before everyone in trying to extract them to safety. Drawing from the established body of research, it is likely that they and other members of the rescue teams will need care and support for their own wellbeing as this situation unfolds.”

Thailand cave rescue: former navy diver dies during operation – live

I am betting they are going to try to "swim" the young men out. The oxygen levels were dropping dramatically, and this may be the one shot they are going to bank on. Naturally, I could be wrong. In fact, I sort of HOPE it isn't this, as I keep projecting my fears of cave diving on to the situation. I reassure myself by thinking these young people and the rescuers are far braver than I could be. And when faced with adversity, people often can and do rise to the occasion.
Yeah, I thought they nixed the dive out completely...
this is so confusing.

I saw that story too. Heavens, how much can Thailand (and the world) take at this juncture? My heart goes out to the people struggling at sea now. Let's all pray for success at both rescues. This may be Thailand's finest hour, scary as it is.

Oh yes. I have a lot of faith and trust in the thai people after reading and hearing survival stories of the 2004 tsunami disaster. They saved a lot of lives and did more than anyone would expect.

I hope they are still working on getting in from the top. Even if a few are able to come out through the water, the weaker ones need a way out too!

I'm thrilled they have talked to their families. I am a bit concerned about the air tube they are trying to get in. If there are areas barely big enough for a person, how will the tube impact escaping?

(Battery expended on both devices CRAP)

:candle:

Tell me you have chargers.
I have no alcohol.
You are as close as I'm getting tonight! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
These kids are watching their friends and coach slowly die right in front of them, one by one, as they slowly waste away themselves trapped in an awful cave....this is one of the most terrible things I’ve ever seen in my life!!!! :(.
No words. Turning on the tv to hopefully find some live coverage. No words can even come close to describing what they are going through. I hope somehow, somewhere, they can find some comfort, God please wrap your arms around these children and their coach and their families and all the people who are trying so desperately to save them. Balling. Will be they be trapped in there with their bodies as the bodies start to decay...this is one of theworst things I’ve ever personally seen in my life (minus child rape and murders), this is right up there with 9/11 as far as one of the worst things I’ve ever seen. Praying for a MIrACLE we all are!!!

Last edited:
I just found a link on my phone from The Australian (paywalled, dammit!) that says an Australian robotics firm has been asked to assist. Link.

I wonder what that means? It was posted less than an hour ago, afaik. Maybe they have another passage and some ROV that can go in? Who knows?

At this point I keep telling myself that here we all are on Websleuths, and many of have been logging in daily for years, and seeing the worst of the worst. Maybe with this event, we are going to see the best of the best-- the best human resilience, the best of the world community and the best of the strong Thai people.

Cave diving is extremely dangerous. There is a cave near me in Fl that experienced divers come from all over the world to explore and at least 2 or 3 die exploring it every year. The pressure changes in certain parts of the cave cause the diver to lose consciousness and when they do they don’t breathe through the scuba gear correctly and they die from lack of oxygen. The boys would never survive diving to get out.

Cave diving is extremely dangerous. There is a cave near me in Fl that experienced divers come from all over the world to explore and at least 2 or 3 die exploring it every year. The pressure changes in certain parts of the cave cause the diver to lose consciousness and when they do they don’t breathe through the scuba gear correctly and they die from lack of oxygen. The boys would never survive diving to get out.

Are you thinking of Vortex Spring? I am. That is a harrowing place to dive. Ben McDaniel is one who comes to mind, although that is still a mystery.

But then again, you are in Florida-- so many great cave dive spots, according to divers, but my stars! Such treacherous places. I love seeing the videos of these dives, but ain't no way you'll catch me near one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rebecca.ingram1214@gmail.