Ione Rehwinkle
  • rehwinkle_ione.jpg
Rehwinkle, circa 1952

• Missing Since01/01/1952
  • Missing FromRochester, Minnesota
  • ClassificationMissing
  • Age23 years old
  • Height and Weight5'4, 115 pounds
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female.
Details of Disappearance
Rehwinkle was last seen in Rochester, Minnesota sometime in 1952. She has never been heard from again. Very little information is available in her case.
Investigating Agency
  • Rochester Police Department
Source Information

This discussion I hope will help bring in tips about the disappearance of Ione Rehwinkle who vanished in 1952. Her exact disappearance in 1952 is unknown however so agencies set it as January 1st. If you have any tips just type them here.

Ione Rehwinkle was born Ione Ruth Growt on 12/11/1928 in Olmsted, Mn. Parents were Roy Growt and Mildred (nee Horlow). She had a sister, Helen, who was 2 years older and a brother, Ray, 4 years older - so relatives such as neices and nephews may still be around. Whilst I have yet to find the marriage she must have married a Rehwinkle between, say, 1945 and 1951. She then had a child, David Charles Rehwinkle and the fathers name (presumably Ione's husband) is given as Robert Richard Rehwinkle. The baby was born on 1 October 1951 and he married in Aitkin, Mn in 1974. He was still living there in the 1990s. Ione's presumed husband, Robert Richard Rehwinkle died in Olmsted in 1983. He was in the military from May 1951 to 1971. It seems odd he enlisted just 5 months prior to the birth of his son, but perhaps he was conscripted given the date and then made it a career. At some point he remarried as there is a divorce record from 1975 in Minnesota. All this is from records on Ancestry.
Update: it seems (from a cutting on newspapers.com - Globe Gazette, Mason City, Iowa) that Ione and Robert were married in 1948.

Not sure that any of this helps greatly but it gives some more details to look into, which I will continue to do.

i will be emailing Meaghan Good(manager of the charley project) the new information that was submitted

I wish we knew the exact date of Ione’s disappearance. I made estimates and I think she vanished in between March and April of 1952 but I could obviously be mistaken.

Hello everyone, I know this is a major reach but I found a case on NamUs that fits the date around Ione's disappearance and the reconstruction of the victim in this case, in my opinion, looks like Ione? The victim was found on 30th September 1952 in Colorado in Gilpin County and may fit??? Again, a major reach. Here is the case link: Unidentified Person Case

There really isn't much information to go on, but it was the only possibility that came up in 1952 on online records.

Last edited:
You may be right, the reconstruction almost matches iones facial features and the date of her disappearance is unknown so she can’t be ruled out unless a test is done. Thank you very much!

You may be right, the reconstruction almost matches iones facial features and the date of her disappearance is unknown so she can’t be ruled out unless a test is done. Thank you very much!
No problem! I may submit it soon. I just wish we knew what Ione was wearing when she disappeared, would make it easier to search :(

Yeah not much is known about her disappearance but it is still solvable because it says her DNA is available.

I've just submitted both cases in a comparison to the Doe Network, they said that they've put the cases on their matches panel! Let's hope this will result in a positive identification
Thank you so much the cases may come to a resolution. Does anyone know if Ione has any living relatives? I hope this works out And I think it will work out!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Ione has any living relatives?

I am reasonably sure that Ione has (at least) grandchildren and great-grandchildren living. The obituary at "R Obituaries, Aitkin County, Minnesota" for David Watterson Rehwinkle gives details of various family members. I am fairly confident he was her grandson as the details and location of his parents (in 2002 when he died) match the location and names for the marriage of Ione's son in 1974. Given the number of descendants listed some (probably most) will still be alive (possibly including her son).

I have also just come across the obituary for Ione's sister, Helen (as mentioned in #3 above) from 2006 at Helen Cowles Obituary | Legacy.com . This lists various nephews and nieces of Ione by her sister, and confirms David Rehwinkle as Helen's nephew (supporting that he is the son of Ione). Oddly, it makes no mention of Ione, even though it lists her brother Ray as surviving and other family members. I do wonder if this omission means anything?

I just wanted to know if she has surviving family members so if the Jane doe is her they can have a funeral for her.

Thanks alb10n, good work. Hopefully they match! Maybe she was missing from the obituary because she's been made legally dead but her condition is still unknown, so they didn't know where to put her??? I hope the family (grandchildren e.t.c) at least know about Ione's disappearance :(

Last edited:
I think she was legally declared dead as well. Does anyone have a link to Iones husbands obituary? His name was Robert Richard Rehwinkle. He died in 1983 as stated in the information alb1on. I have searched but found nothing.

I hope results come in soon. I’m hoping within a few weeks.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back