GUILTY UK - Jordan Burling, 18, Died Weighing Less Than 6 Stone, Body Of Baby Also Found, Leeds, June 2016

I need to step away for a while if anyone else wants to update. If not I can catch up in about half hour.
Yeah, I can take over for a while.

12:39
This is what was said moments before the fire alarm
Mr Justice Spencer, sentencing, said:

It is a profound disgrace and almost beyond belief that Jordan Burling - a young man of 18 - should have been allowed to die in his own home here in Leeds, in the bussum of his family

He added:

Each of you could and should have summoned help, with proper medical care in hospital his life could have been saved, instead he was condemned to a lingering death

12:39
'His state has had a deep and lasting impact'
The judge went on to say the people who saw photographs of Jordan’s body will ‘never be able to forget them’ and his state has had ‘a deep and lasting impact’ on the police officers and paramedics who first saw him.

But he was then interrupted by the fire alarm and everyone was evacuated from the court room.

Mum and gran to be sentenced for death of Leeds teenager - live updates

No sure what to say.... but those sentences seem less than I would have expected. IMOO and I admit I haven't been able to read all the details as I found this case extremely upsetting.
Is this the sort of sentencing expected?

13:31
Jordan's aunt will speak to the press shortly
We have been told Susan Burling, the victim’s aunt will speak outside court shortly. Susan read out a tragic statement from Jordan’s father during today’s hearing and told the courtroom how he ‘doesn’t know how he will grieve and rebuild his life’.

Mum and gran to be sentenced for death of Leeds teenager - live updates

I've not followed much either Jessie, literally too close to home. I actually drove through the Butterbowl estate the other day as the ring road was clogged up due to an accident. I gave a little salute in the general direction of Jordan's house. RIP young man.

No sure what to say.... but those sentences seem less than I would have expected. IMOO and I admit I haven't been able to read all the details as I found this case extremely upsetting.
Is this the sort of sentencing expected?
I honestly didn't know what sentencing to expect.

And I still don't really know how I feel about all of this.

Jordan’s aunt, Susan Burling, read a victim impact statement to the court on behalf of the teenager’s father.

Mr Burling said he was going through a “living nightmare” coping with the loss of his son and finding out about the death of the baby son he “knew nothing about”.

He said: “I cannot understand why all these horrific things have happened to me and my family.

“I’m trying to process my feelings and reactions to the loss of my children.

“I don’t know how I’m ever going to grieve for them.”

“Our family has forever changed by these events.

“My emotions and thoughts are difficult to cope with.

“My younger relatives can’t understand why I’m so difficult and quiet.

“My family and I are ordinary people who are having to deal with such a traumatic chain of events.”

Read more at: Dad going through ‘living nightmare’ over teenage son who starved to death at Leeds family home

I honestly didn't know what sentencing to expect.

And I still don't really know how I feel about all of this.

I feel the same and I don't know about you LB (being a Leeds lad) but this story has been heavily covered both in local media and social media. I always thought I'd jump on a local case but I just couldn't do this one. I popped in here occasionally but spared myself many of the details.

Thank you all for covering it so well, as always.

I feel the same and I don't know about you LB (being a Leeds lad) but this story has been heavily covered both in local media and social media. I always thought I'd jump on a local case but I just couldn't do this one. I popped in here occasionally but spared myself many of the details.

Thank you all for covering it so well, as always.
I don't blame anyone for not following it, I think everyone has found it difficult.

I don't know if there'll be many more updates, but I have to pop out now if anyone else is free to post them up.

13:43
Stay tuned to watch Susan Burling's statement
Susan Burling has read a statement on behalf of Jordan’s father Stephen - we’ll have a video of her, as well as representatives from West Yorkshire Police, the council and the CPS, very soon.

Mother, grandmother and sister all jailed for death of Leeds teenager

Reading those sentencing notes, I'm left conflicted as probably many of us are. Part of me feels they got nowhere near long enough to atone for the state they left him in, while part of me recognises they clearly all have mental problems which affected their judgement... but even so I find it hard to understand how they could let it get so bad; if they're truly that impaired, how did they survive so long without help? Probably this sentencing hit an appropriate middle ground, if I can't decide if it's too long or too short!

Glad to hear Abigail's child has been adopted, for the child's safety. I do have some sympathy for Abigail herself though; losing her brother, child, home, and the support of her mother and grandmother (and father, it appears); here's hoping social services take care of her when she's released and we don't hear about another tragedy for this family. She was the only one of the three who gave any impression of actually caring about Jordan, so I find it easier to sympathize with her than the other two; I think she's lost the most, even if she got the lightest sentence.

Reading those sentencing notes, I'm left conflicted as probably many of us are. Part of me feels they got nowhere near long enough to atone for the state they left him in, while part of me recognises they clearly all have mental problems which affected their judgement... but even so I find it hard to understand how they could let it get so bad; if they're truly that impaired, how did they survive so long without help? Probably this sentencing hit an appropriate middle ground, if I can't decide if it's too long or too short!

Glad to hear Abigail's child has been adopted, for the child's safety. I do have some sympathy for Abigail herself though; losing her brother, child, home, and the support of her mother and grandmother (and father, it appears); here's hoping social services take care of her when she's released and we don't hear about another tragedy for this family. She was the only one of the three who gave any impression of actually caring about Jordan, so I find it easier to sympathize with her than the other two; I think she's lost the most, even if she got the lightest sentence.

Whatever happened with Abigails comments about (iirc) Jordan playing football and have a McD's the night before? That made me so cross at the time, did she admit in court it was a lie?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back