CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, in regards to the shoes, the used entrance IMO was the opposite end of the shoes. The sandals IMO are oddly placed. IMO, BIL based on the crime scene and LE activity IMO entered to the opposite opening- not the shoes.

That tent has two doors, one at the back, one at the front.

Nature call in the middle of the night? Go out the back door, especially if you're going to be climbing over someone (e.g. sleeping kids) if you go out the front. Kick the shoes off when you're done and finish sleeping as though you never woke up.

See the several links upthread on the tent design. To repeat: REI Co-op Kingdom 6 Tent | REI Co-op

Last edited:
....4 Adult Chairs, 2 kid chairs at a very clean campsite except IMO the one pair of shoes not neatly placed IMO almost like maybe someone other than victim placed them?

People seem to be getting confused about these chairs. 2 of them look like kids' versions of the cheap-o Walmart chairs. Two of them are definitely adult chairs. Two of them are Helinox Chair One chairs, lightweight, compact, chairs for backpacking/kayaking/rock-concerts. They are low to the ground and very small. Many adults have trouble sitting in them and then getting out (you have to be pretty athletic); that's because the legs are only about 9 inches long (the cross bar is about 14 inches). They are useful for kids or adults. The seat height is all of 13.5 inches.

There were more than 2 kids at that campsite. We know there were 2 adults. It's a good bet that the Helinox Chair Ones were for the other kids. If you are short kids chairs for a campground outing, by all means, dig out the mini backpacking chairs so everyone can have a sit.

Helinox Chair One | REI Outlet

Last edited:
I don't think the shooter would drive the vehicle into the park, that doesn't seem to make sense if one wants to keep a low profile. There is plenty of room around the park to park a vehicle and walk into the park from what I understand. I tend to think it might be walk able distance to the shooters house (or bike as mentioned).

I agree. There's plenty of space to pull off to the side of the main road outside of the campground, or on one of the nearby side roads, and it'd be a relatively short walk in and out.

I don't think the shooter would drive the vehicle into the park, that doesn't seem to make sense if one wants to keep a low profile. There is plenty of room around the park to park a vehicle and walk into the park from what I understand. I tend to think it might be walk able distance to the shooters house (or bike as mentioned).

I thought the trailer park mentioned sounds interesting. It seems like that would be walkable, is close to the Tapia Park area and the campground, and when entering the side street to the temple (with the trailer park right behind it) it would be pretty hidden. It doesn't look like there are any street lights on this side street. It is literally located right after passing the temple. It looks like it has some sort of official recreation and conservation building across the street from it. Any word in Malibu that this blue dude community was to be removed maybe for some park building or maintenance office or something? Something like that could have sparked anger towards the park itself I guess.

Edit: This theory would not address the seasonality of the crimes (assuming they are connected) though since these homes seem to be purchased (and/or rented?) . If somebody was angry about something park related I feel like it would have escalated faster. There would be no reason to wait almost a full year between incidences and then escalate like that. There has to be some sort of seasonal aspect to the shooters locality in this area or his anger or both.

If I was camping and woke up to something like a gunshot, I would be quiet as absolute hell so as not to draw attention to myself, and out of terror. I would be listening for the sound of footsteps, or someone running away, or......anything at all. Which brings me to....the campground there is sand. Sand and maybe very dry almost dust. Footprints can be seen in it. When I saw the cops walking all over that it was So frustrating. Sure, there might be lots of footprints - but what if, just if, there was one that had a very unique tread and lead directly to or from the tent to..???

As far as leaving a car or a bike - yes, that's most likely. But if I was going to commit such a godawful crime I sure as hell wouldn't park my bike and ride it anywhere right after committing it. Ditto with a car. Of course, someone could have waited and ridden or driven later - but then there's the question of being seen and being stopped. It would be too risky. But nope; I don't have any answers. Just more questions.

JMO
This is similar to what I have been thinking all along about most of the shootings. I think most of them were done by a single person that is trying to cause fear and disruption to anyone using the area. Trying to scare off people. They kept escalating their attacks until finally someone is dead. First began by just shooting at vehicles and escalated to shooting at people themselves. And now with the closing of the park they may feel their plan worked until it reopens.

I am thinking it is someone who lives nearby and can approach on either foot or maybe a bicycle to get close and then walks in to the final shooting spot. Then returns to bicycle to get back home. I would not be surprised if the person is using night vision equipment.

If someone lives nearby then they could be resentful of anyone breaking up the tranquility of the woods. They may have lived in the area a long time and as more and more campers began to use the area they got more and more resentful about it.
Again, just because I think it might be important - these are not 'woods'. There are trees - but it's mostly low vegetation. It's not like someone could run through the woods and not be seen anymore.

I agree. There's plenty of space to pull off to the side of the main road outside of the campground, or on one of the nearby side roads, and it'd be a relatively short walk in and out.
Please see what I wrote above 2 posts above. I'm curious what you think after reading it. Grabbing at straws at this point.

If a vehicle was involved, they would have had to enter prior to 10:00PM, with a previously booked camping site reservation, to stay overnight.

IIRC, there were a couple of unoccupied campsites. It's usually the policy to let drop-ins pay for and use these campsites if they're available. If there's no ranger, you register and deposit your money at the "iron ranger" (deposit pillar) near the entrance. There would still be the restriction of the 10 pm gate-closing, but someone could maybe have shown up before closing and after the ranger left. Unless maybe authorities have said that everyone there that night had a prior reservation?

Again, just because I think it might be important - these are not 'woods'. There are trees - but it's mostly low vegetation. It's not like someone could run through the woods and not be seen anymore.

Behind some camp spots there are some largish trees, including the camp spot that is right across the loop road from #49 and #51.

The link for photos of campsites is on Page 1 of this thread.

Behind some camp spots there are some largish trees, including the camp spot that is right across the loop road from #49 and #51.

The link for photos of campsites is on Page 1 of this thread.
Yes, there are some live oak trees - but not thickets or anything dense. There are also crunchy leaves on the ground around those trees which makes it more puzzling that/if no one heard footsteps crunching as the person ran away.

IIRC, there were a couple of unoccupied campsites. It's usually the policy to let drop-ins pay for and use these campsites if they're available. If there's no ranger, you register and deposit your money at the "iron ranger" (deposit pillar) near the entrance. There would still be the restriction of the 10 pm gate-closing, but someone could maybe have shown up before closing and after the ranger left. Unless maybe authorities have said that everyone there that night had a prior reservation?
Ha! Authorities saying something? I keep waiting for them to say something....useful... But, radio silence. Hopefully they have a Lot of people out there now, waiting....and cameras up

The Local Malibu on Twitter

Any other local reporting besides this one?

It's interesting that no one is. This has all the makings of a high profile case. A white, upper middle class doctor killed while camping on a holiday. Kids involved. Summer season here.

Typically these types of cases get a lot of attention.

Local Malibu says Shots fired 11 pm near Piuma. Helicopters responded/canyon road closed.
UPDATE: Shootings Continue in Malibu Canyon Keeping Law Enforcement Busy - The Local Malibu

Much more detail in the article:

"Beaudette, who was camping with his two young daughters, was shot in the head at approximately 4:44 a.m. First responders arrived on scene and found multiple shots to the tent and, while Beaudette’s daughters were unharmed, they were covered in a substantial amount of blood prompting emergency personnel to check them thoroughly for bullet wounds."

Please see what I wrote above 2 posts above. I'm curious what you think after reading it. Grabbing at straws at this point.

About not leaving in a car because you could be stopped and questioned? Sure, if your car was parked a long distance away and it was going to take some time to get there after committing the crime. But if the car was parked off the main canyon road directly to the east of the campground, it would not be hard to get back there and head south very quickly, likely before police or anyone arrived, assuming 911 was called immediately.

IIRC from my experience with the camping reservations system in California, drop ins weren't permitted because people are allowed to arrive at any time (up until gate closing) for their reservation. Some people arrive really late because they leave work late or travel from a distance away. When the gate is closed at night, no one can enter, whether or not they have a reservation.

(I remember one camping trip I took where we got in just before the gate closed for the night because we had car problems on the way to the campground and were really delayed. But they keep your site saved for you and don't give it away to others who happen to drop by.)

The "iron ranger" style campgrounds do exist, in further out/less popular campgrounds. But this campground is super popular and always booked up through the reservation system. Authorities did say in this case that 60 of the 63 sites were occupied the night of the shooting, which I interpreted to mean that 60 of the 63 families had shown up for their reservation and 3 didn't make it for whatever reason.

Much more detail in the article:

"Beaudette, who was camping with his two young daughters, was shot in the head at approximately 4:44 a.m. First responders arrived on scene and found multiple shots to the tent and, while Beaudette’s daughters were unharmed, they were covered in a substantial amount of blood prompting emergency personnel to check them thoroughly for bullet wounds."

This is absolutely horrifying. Those poor girls.

Sorry I just realized you meant the most recent reports from yesterday. No other outlets reporting yet it seems.

Yep you are right.

This whole case just has me totally perplexed on possible answers. I go back and forth on random vs. someone known to victim.

We have a daughter in LA and one week before this shooting I hiked the Parker Mess Overlook Trail in the neighboring Topanga State Park. Contrasting the beauty of those memories with this evil has me very interested in the outcome of this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021