UK -Major incident declared - UK anti-terror police investigating possible nerve agent attack, 2018

This confuses me because one would expect " a highly trained " person would not discard remaining poison places where anybody could come in contact with it, and if Novichok is so precious/rare a commodity, why did they not keep the rest of it in a safe or something?
Unless leaving it was some kind of test, experiment or for something altogether different from the Skripal case?
imo, speculation.rbbm.
Salisbury nerve agent 'could have been smuggled into Britain through airport'
"Asked whether the nerve agent could have been brought in through a UK airport undetected, he replied: “It could be… it’s a small volume and it’s not difficult to think you might be able to conceal that.

“We’re not talking about gallons of the stuff, we’re talking about a very small amount and therefore it’s a very discreet container potentially.”

The source said “all sorts” of glass or plastic containers could safely contain novichok, but whoever originally administered it would have to be “highly trained”.

“You’re not going to be sloshing this around, splashing it on and hoping,” he added.

“You would put it in a sealed container that you would handle extremely carefully, and you would have a way of administering it which avoided the person coming into contact with it… they would be highly trained.”

Thinking that was just one of the things they were looking at, or that the media ( iirc The Sun?) was speculating about, it has not been mentioned since, imo, speculation.
ETA It was in the Sun, July 10 2018
Novichok victim Dawn Sturgess wore 'contaminated' sunglasses found in park before collapsing
Speculation is all we pretty much have in this case, and not just about sunglasses.
UK is accusing Russia but they haven't provided any evidence. At least with Skripals there was a motive, but what would be the motive for Russia to poison two Brits without any connection to Russia? So they are trying to claim that the poison was left over from Skripal case, but that again is a complete speculation. If, as dotr pointed out, the person who poisoned Skripals was highly trained, why would they leave vials of the poison just laying around in public places?

Speculation is all we pretty much have in this case, and not just about sunglasses.
UK is accusing Russia but they haven't provided any evidence. At least with Skripals there was a motive, but what would be the motive for Russia to poison two Brits without any connection to Russia? So they are trying to claim that the poison was left over from Skripal case, but that again is a complete speculation. If, as dotr pointed out, the person who poisoned Skripals was highly trained, why would they leave vials of the poison just laying around in public places?
I recommend going back to the post a few days ago with the link to the podcast about the trail left from the Alexander Litvinenko case. I listened to it and highly recommend. I was familiar with the story, but not all the details about how bungled the whole operation was.
One can argue that a highly trained assassin would be smart enough to discard any evidence completely and carefully, but for them a quick and nontraceable exit might be a higher priority than the safety of others. While that might seem unreasonable to most folks, try to put yourself in the shoes of a killer who is likely to only be safe from UK authorities once he’s back in Russia. To him or her, that would be a much higher priority, don’t you think?
While I’m on it, can anyone shed light on what the ideal and safe way to discard such a poison would be?

Breaking News - Sky News U.K

They have found a small bottle in Charlie Rowley’s house which they believe is the source of the Novichok
Great news!!!
Novichok that killed woman came from bottle, police believe
"In a statement, police said: “On Wednesday 11 July, a small bottle was recovered during searches of Charlie Rowley’s house in Amesbury.

“It was taken to the Defence, Science and Technology Laboratory at Porton Down, Wiltshire, for tests.

“Following those tests, scientists have now confirmed to us that the substance contained within the bottle is novichok. Further scientific tests will be carried out to try and establish whether it is from the same batch that contaminated Sergei and Yulia Skripal in March – this remains a main line of inquiry for police.

“Inquiries are under way to establish where the bottle came from and how it came to be in Charlie’s house.”

Police FIND source of Novichok - a small bottle in poisoning victim Charlie Rowley's house | Daily Mail Online
"Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu, Head of UK Counter Terrorism Policing, said: 'This is clearly a significant and positive development. However, we cannot guarantee that there isn't any more of the substance left and cordons will remain in place for some considerable time. This is to allow thorough searches to continue as a precautionary measure for public safety and to assist the investigation team.

'I also appreciate there is a lot of interest in this; however, we are not in a position to disclose any further details regarding the bottle at this stage."

I recommend going back to the post a few days ago with the link to the podcast about the trail left from the Alexander Litvinenko case. I listened to it and highly recommend. I was familiar with the story, but not all the details about how bungled the whole operation was.
One can argue that a highly trained assassin would be smart enough to discard any evidence completely and carefully, but for them a quick and nontraceable exit might be a higher priority than the safety of others. While that might seem unreasonable to most folks, try to put yourself in the shoes of a killer who is likely to only be safe from UK authorities once he’s back in Russia. To him or her, that would be a much higher priority, don’t you think?
While I’m on it, can anyone shed light on what the ideal and safe way to discard such a poison would be?

Here's the post you referenced:

Great news!!!
"In a statement, police said: “On Wednesday 11 July, a small bottle was recovered during searches of Charlie Rowley’s house in Amesbury.

“It was taken to the Defence, Science and Technology Laboratory at Porton Down, Wiltshire, for tests.

“Following those tests, scientists have now confirmed to us that the substance contained within the bottle is novichok. Further scientific tests will be carried out to try and establish whether it is from the same batch that contaminated Sergei and Yulia Skripal in March – this remains a main line of inquiry for police.

“Inquiries are under way to establish where the bottle came from and how it came to be in Charlie’s house.”
Wow! The substance contained WITHIN the bottle is novichok! I didn't expect something to obvious as that - I figured it would an object that was smeared with the poison that the victims then touched. To think they came upon a bottle of poison....unreal.

Glad the source was found. Now there is some evidence to work with. Go to it, LE!

jmo

They said earlier washing hands and clothes would get rid of it and use wipes on items that cannot be washed. I think they also said it would degrade in soil or by rainwater.

If poison was on sunglasses, then it would appear to be a separate attempt to poison someone and not some vial left from Skripal's case.

I wondered if the sunglasses could have belonged to one of the Skripals, but if they have now found the actual container, they should be able to ask the Skripals if they recognise it at all.

Maybe Mr. Rowley's intent was getting rid of his partner. I mean, what is he doing with a bottle of this stuff in his home? And maybe there are/were some additional planned deaths.

I wonder if it was something like a perfume bottle that the perp could have used to spray Mr Skripal's door handle with the Novichok?
That would be a great idea and makes sense too!
Wondering how it would have affected Mr Rowley later in the day?

Counter-terrorism officers in protective suits found the container – believed to have contaminated Charles Rowley and killed Dawn Sturgess at a property in Amesbury, Wiltshire on or around 30 June – after six days of searches.

If this statement is correct and it took six days to find it, the bottle was extremely well hidden in Rowley's home. None of these details make sense.

It might make sense that it took police 6 days to find a suspicious bottle to test if Rowley was a hoarder or extremely messy.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back