MI - Ca'mya Davis, 1, drowns falling into flooded basement, Detroit, 7 July 2018 *GUILTY*

keeleydoll

Reaction score
Utterly tragic, mother called two separate babysitters but left home before either arrived, the oldest of the children in the home was 10. The 1 year old fell through a hole in the floor into the flooded basement.

Not sure if there was any crime besides negligence on the part of the homeowner, it sounded like mom thought babysitters were on the way and the oldest child could handle everything for a few minutes. I can’t imagine how the older siblings feel.

Baby dies after falling into flooded basement on Detroit's west side

“Johnson said the homes in the neighborhood on Ferguson Street and Fenkell Avenue were built in the '40s. While some have been maintained, others fell into disrepair.

No one has been taken into custody at this time. Detroit police said the mother is cooperating.”

Her name was just released

“A candlelight vigil was held Monday for a 1-year-old Detroit girl who died Friday after she fell through a hole in her home's floor and landed in the basement, where she drowned in standing water

The girl was identified as Ca'mya Davis by the Wayne County medical examiner's office, according to the Associated Press. Her death has been ruled an accidental drowning.”

Detroit baby falls through hole in floor, drowns in flooded basement

I read local media reports about this case yesterday. I don't think it would have mattered if there was a babysitter or not. A hole in floor through which a child could fall to the basement is a major safety issue that should have been repaired before such a tragedy could occur. At the very least, the hole should have been covered with a heavy piece of furniture so that no one could fall through the floor. This "accident" could have been avoided.

I read local media reports about this case yesterday. I don't think it would have mattered if there was a babysitter or not. A hole in floor through which a child could fall to the basement is a major safety issue that should have been repaired before such a tragedy could occur. At the very least, the hole should have been covered with a heavy piece of furniture so that no one could fall through the floor. This "accident" could have been avoided.

It’s shocking to me and I saw the 2nd article said it wasn’t known if it was just a hole or a floor vent that fell through, but plywood is pretty cheap. My sister lives in a house built in 1910 and the floor vents freak me out every time I walk over them. The one that really makes me nervous is ~2’x2’ and seems sturdy but I’m just an anxious person.

KInda hard to cover a hole in the floor with a heavy piece of furniture. If the floor was rotted, or termites, or whatever that caused the hole, it's going to be too weak to support a heavy piece of furniture. Just someone walking in that area could be dangerous as the floor could give way.

If this woman was renting and her landlord didn't repair, or replace the flooring, then the landlord should be liable for the death of this child.

Being poor shouldn't be a death sentence. How many more people are living in this situation and worse? What can we as a society do to help them?

Yes if they were renting, I’m completely flummoxed as to how this could have gotten past code enforcement, but it’s a different area of the country than I’m familiar with. Also, after seeing the atrocious state of some of the public schools in Detroit I’m not super shocked that there are people living in such conditions. Still doesn’t make it okay on any level.

People have that much water in their basements? It just stays there? I don’t understand? Was there a flood or a wate leak? Poor baby.

It seems like standing water in the basement in and of itself would be a health hazard. I wonder if maybe it was more of a crawl space?

My basement floods but we’ve been here almost 15 years and even when our sump pump gave out we never had more than maybe a quarter of an inch accumulate.

Yes that is what I’m thinking. We’ve never had emense amounts of water. Even with rain and snow melting. Sometimes I would need to clean up but never like this. Once my childhood home was flooded but my parents had to clean up ASAP and went through our insurance. I can’t imagine how dangerous that would be. All the mold. :( shouldn’t be happening.

Sometimes, it‘s a thin line between negligence and a tragic accident. Of course that hole was unsafe and she probably shouldn‘t have relied on the babysitter being there on time. But I‘m also sorry for her. It wasn‘t intentional and she lost her child.

Here’s another case where grandmom was mowing a neighbor‘s lawn and a teenager was watching the children in the meantime. A 3-year-old boy died after being locked in a car for 35 (!) minutes:
3-year-old boy dies after he's locked in hot car

Same thing, I feel sorry for the grandmom and she will probably beat herself up for it enough.

People have that much water in their basements? It just stays there? I don’t understand? Was there a flood or a wate leak? Poor baby.

a girl I know who lives in Ohio was renting a house w a basement and her sewer backed up and her basement filled w crap and sewage. she moved after that, lol.

they probably did put something over the hole, but the baby could have moved it or it could have shifted. sad.

see, this probably WAS a true accident, they did as they should have and called 911/took child to hospital... and now charges. THIS.. THIS is why people are 'hiding' babies when they get hurt instead of calling for help. No excuse for abuse, but to charge on a TRUE accident scares everyone else.

see, this probably WAS a true accident, they did as they should have and called 911/took child to hospital... and now charges. THIS.. THIS is why people are 'hiding' babies when they get hurt instead of calling for help. No excuse for abuse, but to charge on a TRUE accident scares everyone else.
Yeah I'm wondering about the abuse charges. Unless there's something they're not telling us.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back