Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree National Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybervampira

Reaction score
Guelph man missing in California - GuelphToday.com

News Release - A search is currently underway for a 51 year old Canadian citizen described as a white male, 5’5” tall, weighing approximately 160 lbs. Paul Miller was last seen by his wife at around 9am Friday morning when he departed for a hike to 49 Palms Oasis. Miller’s wife notified park rangers that he was overdue around noon and a search was initiated at 12:30 pm. The subject’s vehicle was located in the parking lot at the trailhead of 49 Palms Oasis.

Yesterday’s search included personnel from Joshua Tree National Park Search and Rescue as well as air support from San Bernardino Sheriff’s Dept. Currently there is an incident command center at the 49 Palms Oasis parking lot. Approximately 35 searchers are combing the area with the help of search K-9 units and a helicopter from SBSO is expected to join the search later this morning. Anyone having information as to the whereabouts of this individual or having any other pertinent information is asked to call: 909 383-5651.

upload_2018-7-16_17-29-59.jpeg
Joshua Tree National Park

News Release - A search is currently underway for a 51 year old Canadian citizen described as a white male, 5’5” tall, weighing approximately 160 lbs. Paul Miller was last seen by his wife at around 9am Friday morning when he departed for a hike to 49 Palms Oasis. Miller’s wife notified park rangers that he was overdue around noon and a search was initiated at 12:30 pm. The subject’s vehicle was located in the parking lot at the trailhead of 49 Palms Oasis.

Yesterday’s search included personnel from Joshua Tree National Park Search and Rescue as well as air support from San Bernardino Sheriff’s Dept. Currently there is an incident command center at the 49 Palms Oasis parking lot. Approximately 35 searchers are combing the area with the help of search K-9 units and a helicopter from SBSO is expected to join the search later this morning. Anyone having information as to the whereabouts of this individual or having any other pertinent information is asked to call: 909 383-5651.

View attachment 138791
I hope they find him soon. It’s 91 degrees at 9:00 am in the morning :(

View attachment 138791
Interesting timeline. He left for the hike at 9am and just 3.5 hours later, his wife reports him for being overdue? How long was his route intended to be? If he's reported overdue that soon, I'm wondering if he is out of shape and perhaps health-related happened. If that is the case, he should be found rather nearby.

Fingers crossed for a good outcome.

jmo

Right. It’s does seem like a tight timeline. You wouldn’t think that a wife that jumpy about his safety would have been too keen on him hiking alone. Maybe he told her I’ll be back in one hour, then 3.5 later I might have some anxiety. I wouldn’t have let him go alone though. It’s hotter than a booger out there mid-day this time of year. Sending you positive vibes Paul, hope you took a bunch of H2O.

Right. It’s does seem like a tight timeline. You wouldn’t think that a wife that jumpy about his safety would have been too keen on him hiking alone. Maybe he told her I’ll be back in one hour, then 3.5 later I might have some anxiety. I wouldn’t have let him go alone though. It’s hotter than a booger out there mid-day this time of year. Sending you positive vibes Paul, hope you took a bunch of H2O.
And he is from Canada...the heat might have affected him even more because he's not acclimated to it (I'm making that assumption).

Is the couple in the area specifically to hike? Or is this stop part of a longer road trip or vacation? I wonder what prompted the solo hike?

jmo

A Joshua Tree National Park hiker is still missing, but rain 'gives little more hope'
As the search for a missing hiker enters its fourth day at Joshua Tree National Park, officials are finding a silver lining in recent weather patterns.
A series of rainstorms hit the park in the days preceding Paul Miller's disappearance Friday morning. Some areas received more than an inch of rain, and it's possible storms left behind water that could help sustain Miller while crews look for him.

JTNP is one of our favorite parks. We hike there frequently. We consider the park to basically be off limits April/May-October because it's too darn hot during the day. Heck, I don't even leave my house after 8 or 9 AM in the summer if I don't have too. We are very experienced hikers and I would never consider hiking JTNP in the summer. I'm deeply concerned for this man. It's been about 8 years since I've hiked that specific trail, but if memory serves, the trail back out of the 49 Palms Oasis is almost entirely uphill. I need to double-check that.

ETA: My memory seems to be correct. This link gives a great idea of what the trail is like.

Fortynine Palms Oasis in Joshua Tree National Park

One poster on a JTNP-area board said that he should have been found with that many searchers, dogs, etc. and while the hike is steep, it's pretty straightforward.

As others here have pointed out, it is strange that his wife called at noon for a hike he apparently started at 9am. HikesPeak says it's an hour and a half hike. But three hours isn't very long to be gone for a hike considering you have to drive to the trail head, may want to relax a bit, take in the view, etc. Cell phone coverage can be sketchy in some parts of the park.

I wonder if this was staged.

One poster on a JTNP-area board said that he should have been found with that many searchers, dogs, etc. and while the hike is steep, it's pretty straightforward.

As others here have pointed out, it is strange that his wife called at noon for a hike he apparently started at 9am. HikesPeak says it's an hour and a half hike. But three hours isn't very long to be gone for a hike considering you have to drive to the trail head, may want to relax a bit, take in the view, etc. Cell phone coverage can be sketchy in some parts of the park.

I wonder if this was staged.

If someone I cared about was insistent upon hiking this dangerous place, I’d be reporting them missing about 5 min past the expected return time. When you’re sealing with the temps and conditions there, there is no time to waste.

If she’d waited until 6 pm, everyone would be saying “why didn’t she report him missing sooner? Everyone knows time is of the essence when someone goes missing in a place like that!”

If someone I cared about was insistent upon hiking this dangerous place, I’d be reporting them missing about 5 min past the expected return time. When you’re sealing with the temps and conditions there, there is no time to waste.

If she’d waited until 6 pm, everyone would be saying “why didn’t she report him missing sooner? Everyone knows time is of the essence when someone goes missing in a place like that!”

I get that, and she apparently did call as soon as he wasn't back. Searchers set out 30 minutes later. According to a news report on KESQ they haven't found any evidence of Paul being on the trail - shoeprints, clothing, litter, whatever. That seems unusual. I'm not a SAR guy but these are experienced trackers, and they should have seen something considering the trail probably isn't getting that much use this time of year due to the heat.

I get that, and she apparently did call as soon as he wasn't back. Searchers set out 30 minutes later. According to a news report on KESQ they haven't found any evidence of Paul being on the trail - shoeprints, clothing, litter, whatever. That seems unusual. I'm not a SAR guy but these are experienced trackers, and they should have seen something considering the trail probably isn't getting that much use this time of year due to the heat.

That does seem very unusual indeed.

According to a news report on KESQ they haven't found any evidence of Paul being on the trail - shoeprints, clothing, litter, whatever. That seems unusual. I'm not a SAR guy but these are experienced trackers, and they should have seen something
That does seem very unusual indeed.

Though the lack of 'sign' is strange, in the absence of other contradictions, I think it is best to continue with the idea that he attempted the hike.

I am thinking that he left the trail early on, perhaps to take in a view from a hill, then lost the trail and wandered deeper into the park "off trail".

Some hiking trails can get pretty faint. Likewise, some terrain can quickly become very dis-orientating. For example, small canyons / deep washes mixed with hills can keep a person from being able to see "the big picture" and likewise, can funnel a person deeper into the area and away from the trail.

Last edited:
Though the lack of 'sign' is strange, in the absence of other contradictions, I think it is best to continue with the idea that he attempted the hike.

I am thinking that he left the trail early on, perhaps to take in a view from a hill, then lost the trail and wandered deeper into the park "off trail".

Some hiking trails can get pretty faint. Likewise, some terrain can quickly become very dis-orientating. For example, small canyons / deep washes mixed with hills can keep a person from being able to see "the big picture" and likewise, can funnel a person deeper into the area and away from the trail.
Some of the comments on the Joshua Tree SAR FB page confirm what you mention about this trail specifically. Seems it is fairly easy to wander off the trail and get lost.

It seems like the search being started within hours of him actually starting the hike, would lead to the best results. Like, how far could he have gone in that short amount of time? If he became unable to walk there would be a pretty narrow radius to search in.

JTNP is one of our favorite parks. We hike there frequently. We consider the park to basically be off limits April/May-October because it's too darn hot during the day. Heck, I don't even leave my house after 8 or 9 AM in the summer if I don't have too. We are very experienced hikers and I would never consider hiking JTNP in the summer. I'm deeply concerned for this man. It's been about 8 years since I've hiked that specific trail, but if memory serves, the trail back out of the 49 Palms Oasis is almost entirely uphill. I need to double-check that.

ETA: My memory seems to be correct. This link gives a great idea of what the trail is like.

Fortynine Palms Oasis in Joshua Tree National Park
Great to have you on the thread. Locals with information about the area are always an asset on cases.

Given what you've written, I'm more and more concerned....and also bewildered about the decision to hike alone on the trail in July. I wish we knew more about his hiking/outdoors experience.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members