Found Deceased Canada - Dan Archbald, 37, & Ryan Daley, 43, Ucluelet, Bc, 16 May 2018

The one unanswered question is how did they leave the docks and get to where they died. Doe anyone know if there are any cameras that monitor the one road coming in and out of town?

It seems if there is cameras monitoring the main road, you could see what van, truck or SUV had come into town and left within 24 hours. Not many cars can haul all of those bags and three people at the minimum. I do agree that some of the packs were heavy based on the video.

DEA is even quoted saying "just to be clear we do not investigate homicides, we're never going to be an agency that solves a murder, that's not even something we'd be attempting to do, it's not our lane." They are there for drug suspicion at the very least but I believe they know much more and why we have no details. Here are some things I find suspicious.

1) Not sure if it is the Harbour manager or the media but Harbour manager is quoted two different moorage stories. CBC Quote, Harbour manager, "the day before they left, Archibald paid for a month moorage on the boat." Then quoted with Global News has HM stating, ” I put the men in contact with a local surveyor, adding on May 16, he got a call from Archbald wanting to pay the moorage fees, adding they were packed up and ready to go. Two different days of detail here.

2) Dan has a black water proof bag over his arm and a pack on his back that is different in size/shape/and strap colours from the video of him picking up a bag to head to parking lot, there is also a board bag he is also dragging in the pictures of the them on the dock walking, in the shot of him picking up the back pack to leave the bag is not the same as in the earlier shot. There are clearly no bright straps the bag is smaller and a different build all together. It took 18 minutes of time from first shot of them walking on the dock to the second shot of Dan leaving the office and putting on the pack and leaving to parking lot, where is the other bags he was carrying? Loaded up already?

3) The Greyhound leaves Ukee at 1:40pm, this is speculation but could they have been intercepted on the way to the bus? When they leave to head to the parking lot they are both moving like some one is waiting or they are needing to make it to a scheduled time. In close up you see Dan saying something to Ryan before he picks up his bags, if you slowmo Ryan picking up his bags you can really see how much weight was in the thing, it also nearly collapses him in the parking lot, you don't notice this until slow mo, these guys were not walking far, and Dan has flip flops on. You can see square and rectangle harp cornered objects in the rear of Daley's back as he heads through the parking lot.

4) Harbour Manager is in the vicinity as these two are heaving bags past him through his parking lot, this is also where Dan's other gear is no longer in view with different style pack going over his shoulder.

If they met the bus, I believe the bus driver would of come forward. The bus driver which L/E might have interview, should remember two men with a lot of bags to go down below in the bus storage. Also since they made two trips for all of the bags, I do not believe they could of made the 1:40 bus, based on the time they left the dock and distance to the bus station. Were any tickets bought for the bus trip that went unused?

The one unanswered question is how did they leave the docks and get to where they died. Doe anyone know if there are any cameras that monitor the one road coming in and out of town?

It seems if there is cameras monitoring the main road, you could see what van, truck or SUV had come into town and left within 24 hours. Not many cars can haul all of those bags and three people at the minimum. I do agree that some of the packs were heavy based on the video.

BBM above....

This one is at the Ucluelet Tofino Hwy Junction
B.C.Highway Cams

Great post, Mr. ED,

There are 4 cameras installed, however only one of them was working - the one which shows the footage of them picking up their gear.

When I checked the Minutes of the Council meetings from the area, there were recommendations to have the other 3 cams at the harbor in working order.

This never happened. Even after theft after a break in to a car in the parking lot. There is a surveillance camera there but not in working condition. Councillors recommended all 4 surveillance cameras to be working at all times at Ucluelet harbor. This was from 2006!

Unfortunately without the working surveillance cams, we cannot see what they were walking towards. Makes me wonder whether (if) there were perps in a car waiting for them - that the perps knew there was no working cam in that area. Local people would be aware of that or others could be told that.

We did discuss whether they intended to take the next bus. Dan seemed to be hurrying, in my view, towards something, and not waiting for Ryan. There was a discussion on this thread of the possibility of the two of them being waylaid on their way to purchase tickets for the next bus.

Was Dan hurrying towards a car or towards another destination - a bus or an arranged ride somewhere? We will likely never know.

Apparently there is a cam monitoring the road in and out of town.

This is a case where it's possible we may always have more questions than answers.

Time will tell.

I agree, Mr. ED, the packs looked to be heavy and cumbersome.

There is a possibility that they were heading towards the bus station or some other location to rent a locker to put these bags in.

Just a thought.

There is a storage locker company close to the marina.

Last edited:
If they met the bus, I believe the bus driver would of come forward. The bus driver which L/E might have interview, should remember two men with a lot of bags to go down below in the bus storage. Also since they made two trips for all of the bags, I do not believe they could of made the 1:40 bus, based on the time they left the dock and distance to the bus station. Were any tickets bought for the bus trip that went unused?

We don't know if there is two trips with bags do we? speculation only, one thing is for sure about the bags and that is what Dan was originally carrying in the first pics of them coming off the doc vs leaving dock to parking carrying is not the same any longer. As for the bus I never thought they caught it, I thought if they were trying to get to it interception on the way. Ticket sales/bus driver would of indicated if they were on, agreed. Bus is a block and a bit away leaving at 1:40 pm, 1:12pm is the last time we see Dan.

Great post, Mr. ED,

There are 4 cameras installed, however only one of them was working - the one which shows the footage of them picking up their gear.

When I checked the Minutes of the Council meetings from the area, there were recommendations to have the other 3 cams at the harbor in working order.

This never happened. Even after theft after a break in to a car in the parking lot. There is a surveillance camera there but not in working condition. Councillors recommended all 4 surveillance cameras to be working at all times at Ucluelet harbor. This was from 2006!

Unfortunately without the working surveillance cams, we cannot see what they were walking towards. Makes me wonder whether (if) there were perps in a car waiting for them - that the perps knew there was no working cam in that area. Local people would be aware of that or others could be told that.

We did discuss whether they intended to take the next bus. Dan seemed to be hurrying, in my view, towards something, and not waiting for Ryan. There was a discussion on this thread of the possibility of the two of them being waylaid on their way to purchase tickets for the next bus.

Was Dan hurrying towards a car or towards another destination - a bus or an arranged ride somewhere? We will likely never know.

Apparently there is a cam monitoring the road in and out of town.

This is a case where it's possible we may always have more questions than answers.

Time will tell.

Wow, town council asking to have this happen and it not ever happening? That seem off.

When forming recommendations of something like this nature by council where/or whom does the responsibility of those cameras to be working fall on?

At 00.23 on the surveillance video (below), in addition to the time marked on it - there is also "CH4". To me, this could be camera #4.

I've been searching for information about surveillance cameras on that property.

Here is an excerpt from a meeting concerning no camera surveillance towards the parking lot. (This is a "pdf" so I've copied and pasted the information concerning cameras:) (also, this is from 2016 so I'm searching for more recent info.):

November 15, 2016 Regular Minutes Page 5 of 16 Harbour Authority Meeting Minutes

link: http://ucluelet.ca/phocadownload/city-council/2017/2017-02-21 ha agenda.pdf

"April Thefts on Boats & Attendance of Harbour Contractor
Commissioner Kimoto expressed what was stolen from the three boats, that the thief was caught on video but had a mask on; noted also there are no video cameras facing the parking lot; noted also that Port Alberni uses a gate at their facility

• Councillor Noel provided that people enjoy walking the docks, but that the District would need to take action if thefts become a problem; inquired if the District has video surveillance, to which Ms. O’Connor responded that the District has at least 3 cameras with improvements due to come via better quality system

Ms. O’Connor also provided that Council can add another camera to the budget for the parking lot, and that staff can speak to the Harbour Manager regarding placement and where additional surveillance might be beneficial

Mayor St. Jacques requested that the District get some feedback from the RCMP on how effective they believe surveillance cameras to be
• Councillor Mole suggested signage in the boat basin indicating that the area is under video surveillance •

Councillor Noel wished to confirm that the video feeds are visible by passerby of the harbour office, to which Ms. O’Connor confirmed they were

To everyone, I apologize that I typed 2006 for the Minutes. As you can see, they are from 2016.

I've brought forward my post about the Minutes in case anyone want to peruse them. I hope this is okay.

You will note that the Harbor Master, K.C. 's report is attached at the end of the Minutes.

To everyone, I apologize that I typed 2006 for the Minutes. As you can see, they are from 2016.

I've brought forward my post about the Minutes in case anyone want to peruse them. I hope this is okay.

You will note that the Harbor Master, K.C. 's report is attached at the end of the Minutes.

Nice digging regardless :)

I am assuming that LE has not released the cause of death, how long their bodies were at the scene of their discovery or maybe placed there after the fact or were their travel bags found at the scene.
I don't believe LE has released the actual location of where Dan and Ryan's bodies were discovered such as was it near the Dock Harbor and were the bodies located some distance from a road. Also were the bodies partially concealed and with what. Were any tire tracks or any shoe/boot prints found nearby that didn't match Dan or Ryan's. Is there any evidence that the bodies were dragged to their location which might indicated more than one person was involved in the crime.
I know the above questions seems obvious and LE is probably already investigating them but would like to know where this investigation is headed to.

I don't believe the public will be privy to details of this investigation.

Likely it will continue with no more press releases. The authorities will work together on this and I don't expect to hear any more information. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
In a differnt article it was mentioned family searched many logging roads around Ucluelet. They were all so close to the area Dan & Ryan were found days later.

This is in this article dated
  • Jun. 6, 2018
Cameron said WISAR’s roughly 30-member team put in about “850 volunteer hours,” scouring areas up to 500 metres off Highway 4.

“The corridor search went from Port Alberni all the way to Ucluelet. All the popular camping sites have been checked out. All the side-roads have been checked out,” he said. “It’s a search. You’re always optimistic. You stick to the facts and you do the best job possible. You just do it. You don’t hold back any effort whatsoever.”
https://www.vancouverislandfreedail...ch-for-two-missing-men-last-seen-in-ucluelet/

Reading your post Jam, & recalling...it brings this (BBM below) to mind...

"My feelings at this time are that there's definitely foul play involved and that they are no longer with us, because if Dan could, he would be in our lives somehow. He loves his daughters and he would be here if he could be," Bliss told CTV News Monday. "I can't believe that there would be any way he wouldn't have made contact with someone if he hadn't been killed, or was being held somewhere against his will."

Wife fears foul play in mysterious case of men who vanished in Ucluelet

:shudders:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500