MO - Kara Kopetsky, 17 - 2007; Jessica Runions, 21 - 2016; found deceased - *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer your question on what the next hearing is about -

The arraignment did not last long but the judge did schedule another court appearance for Yust at 1:30 p.m. on July 16.

Family members say the July hearing will be to discuss motions about what Yust will be able to wear in the courtroom and how much media will be allowed inside the room.

Looks like a "Motions hearing" re what to wear & media allowed inside.

And Thanks for the update!! :)

I am not defending KY by any means, but the July 16th date appears to be pretty routine.

They have to make sure his rights are ensured by the court system, and the clothing issue is addressed by the Supreme Court decision in Estelle v. Williams. In that case, the court determined that the state may not compel a defendant to wear prison clothing at a trial before a jury because it denies the defendant the right to the presumption of innocence before being proven guilty. This is also addressed in the 5th, 6th, and 14th Amendments to the Constitution, which establish a defendant's right to a fair trial, due process, and equal protection under the law.

After seeing KY's appearance in court today, I have a feeling that the motions on attire may deal at least somewhat if not mostly with the fact that KY is shackled, and no visible shackles are allowed in a jury trial so they may be discussing how to deal with that issue as well. It's also possible that they are considering his hideous tattoos, and may wish to cover them up for trial as well. Hard to maintain the image of a wholesome, good boy in court when you have a giant, demonic looking neck tattoo.

What you look like doesn’t excuse the crime. I would hope the jury would see past anything he was wearing. It doesn’t take away from the crime he committed. He could sit there dead a s s naked! Waste of taxpayers time & money to bring up something so foolish. It’s not a fashion show for heavens sake

What you look like doesn’t excuse the crime. I would hope the jury would see past anything he was wearing. It doesn’t take away from the crime he committed. He could sit there dead a s s naked! Waste of taxpayers time & money to bring up something so foolish. It’s not a fashion show for heavens sake

I absolutely agree. KY is as guilty as sin. No clothing or concealer can take that away.

But, the Supreme Court says it’s his constitutional right to appear in civilian clothing at his jury trial, and apparently it’s the thing now to conceal tattoos in jury trials as well. I’ve seen a few cases now where that’s been done. They will do whatever it takes to portray a certain image.

All it takes is one juror, and both KY and his attorney know that and will use it to their advantage.

Thursday, July 16th:
*Motions Hearing (@ 1:30pm CT) – MO – Kara Elise Kopetsky (17) (May 4, 2007) & Jessica S. Runions (21) (Sept. 8, 2016) – Kylr Charles Yust (29/18 in 2007) indicted (3/1/18) on 2 counts of 1st degree & 2 counts of abandonment of a corpse; plead not guilty; $1M cash only bond; originally charged with burning Jessica’s car. Trial was set to begin Oct. 23, 2017; felony charges dismissed on Oct. 5, 2017.
3/1/18 waived his prelim hearings, had formal arraignment on 6/18/18.
6/18/18 Update: Motions hearing on 7/16 to discuss will be to discuss motions about what Yust will be able to wear in the courtroom and how much media will be allowed in.

Here is a link that works worldwide Jessep Carter, half-brother of Kylr Yust, charged with arson

It contains this important bit of info:

The charges come the day Yust's attorneys were back in a Cass County courtroom.

Attorneys requested the trial for Yust to be moved to a different venue. Yust is accused of murdering Jessica Runions and Kara Kopetsy.

and one with video of the fire Yust's half-brother charged with arson in KCMO house fire

also contains this confirmation:

In the murder charges filed in Cass County, 41 Action News learned Carter saw Yust set Runions's car on fire and drove Yust to a trailer in Edwards, Missouri. Once he dropped him off, Carter called Belton Police. Charging documents state Carter told detectives what Yust said to him, what he saw and where Yust was staying.

His trial is still scheduled for Oct.16 .

Any updates on next court hearing for Kylr? @Ubee0173 ?

TIA! :)

I Haven't heard yet, was about to casenet it. Just got my formerly broken car back and re-tagged/inspected yesterday so (barring some other catastrophe) the plan to go to court appearances is back on.

I did just case.net JC because that arson thing is unexpectedly nutso even for them. I couldn't say definitely what that's about, but very interestingly he was personally served a divorce summons on 7/9 that had been pending since March... On 7/16 it was dismissed on request of the petitioner, which seems like the exact opposite reaction one typically has when your spouse does an arson. I am very much afraid for his wife.

I looked up JC arson house on street view and noticed all the cars were red. It's probably nothing but knowing Vernece Brown was last seen alive not far from there in the company of an older guy in a red car and found deceased in cass county doesn't sit well.

Directly from case.net from the 7/16 appearance:

"Exhibit Filed

Exhibit A Statement of Waiver of Personal Appearance

Case Review Scheduled

Scheduled For: 08/20/2018; 1:30 PM ; WILLIAM B COLLINS; Cass

Motion Hearing Held

State appears by Prosecuting Attorney, Julie Tolle. Defendant appears by public defender, Robert Lundt. Motion hearing held. Parties pass on the Change of Venue motion. Court denies Motion for defendant to change to civilian clothes for pre-trial hearings. Court orders OSCA to transcribe all pre-trial hearings. Defense attorney and defendant will sign off on all pre-trial transcripts. Cause continued to 8/20/18 at 1:30 p.m. to take up remaining motions. WBC/kf"

So it looks like he doesn't get civilian clothes and 8/20. Idk if the recordings and full transcripts thing is standard, but it is interesting.

Yes, it is interesting. Wondering why he can't wear civilian clothes, or this just applies to trial when the jury is there, eh?

Thank you VERY much (again!) :)

Yes, it is interesting. Wondering why he can't wear civilian clothes, or this just applies to trial when the jury is there, eh?

Thank you VERY much (again!) :)

Court denies Motion for defendant to change to civilian clothes for pre-trial hearings.

It does not sound like those will be televised, so they will be transcribed instead.

As for Jessep, I don't think he is a murderer. He had enough self preservation or conscience to turn in Kylr. I kinda wonder if the fire was a meth lab accident, he's not looking great in his mugshot.

I looked up JC arson house on street view and noticed all the cars were red. It's probably nothing but knowing Vernece Brown was last seen alive not far from there in the company of an older guy in a red car and found deceased in cass county doesn't sit well.

Thanks, Ubee173, Vail, Niner and others for the updates on this case.

Court denies Motion for defendant to change to civilian clothes for pre-trial hearings.

It does not sound like those will be televised, so they will be transcribed instead.

As for Jessep, I don't think he is a murderer. He had enough self preservation or conscience to turn in Kylr. I kinda wonder if the fire was a meth lab accident, he's not looking great in his mugshot.

I wondered about the meth lab thing too, he's not looking great that's for certain. I don't rwally think he a murderer either, but it did pop in my head and honestly I don't know what he could be capable of. It seemed rather odd that his wife petitioned for dismissal of the divorce proceedings just shortly after, makes me wonder if it was a threat somehow. The whole thing is just bizarrely timed with KY's hearing happening that day too

Monday, August 20th:
*Motions Hearing (@ 1:30pm CT) – MO – Kara Elise Kopetsky (17) (May 4, 2007) & Jessica S. Runions (21) (Sept. 8, 2016) – Kylr Charles Yust (29/18 in 2007) indicted (3/1/18) on 2 counts of 1st degree & 2 counts of abandonment of a corpse; plead not guilty; $1M cash only bond; originally charged with burning Jessica’s car.
Trial was set to begin Oct. 23, 2017; felony charges dismissed on Oct. 5, 2017.
3/1/18 waived his prelim hearings, had formal arraignment on 6/18/18.
6/18/18 Update: Motions hearing on 7/16 to discuss will be to discuss motions about what Yust will be able to wear in the courtroom and how much media will be allowed in.
7/18/18 Update: Motion hearing held. Parties pass on the Change of Venue motion. Court denies Motion for defendant to change to civilian clothes for pre-trial hearings. Court orders OSCA to transcribe all pre-trial hearings. Defense attorney and defendant will sign off on all pre-trial transcripts. Cause continued to 8/20/18 at 1:30 p.m. to take up remaining motions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member