Found Deceased KS - Lucas Hernandez, 5, Wichita, 17 Feb 2018 #34

@FindLucasAllen first of all I want to say my heart and prayers continue to be with you and all of Lucas’ family.
Secondly I have a question. In EG trial for CE, they had CSI testify about processing the house and IIRC all they really testified to was the fact no drugs or paraphernalia was found.
There was no mention of any processing of the house or it’s contents in the press conference. Have they released any information about that to You? I remember her written statement mentioning so much cleaning and laundry, and also seeing the washer unhooked in the garage door in photos in the news. I have been curious what was processed and what if anything was found- but they didn’t address that at all.

Sorry, PhoneJockey, I tried to respond to you earlier, but had a hard time getting quotes to work. Emily was seen on surveillance at a gas station getting gas on Saturday morning. The cameras were angled in a way that they weren't able to tell if anyone else was in the car with her. Emily was also seen on surveillance with Christian Rials, but I can't remember the date (I want to say it was the morning of the 16th, but don't quote me on that!). I had heard that she was seen on surveillance at other stores, but I don't remember dates or whether those were confirmed. I don't know what she purchased at any of the stores except for the gas on the 17th.

This is purely my opinion:

This is going to possibly ruffle some feathers with people that I'm close to that are here on WS, but I personally believe that Lucas was home and that Christian lied about never seeing him. I think Christian wanted to distance himself from the situation as much as possible and saying that he never saw Lucas did exactly that. I have a soft spot for Christian (I never met him or spoke with him or anything) because I think he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. He had a bright future at one point and his family truly loved him.

I know he spent the night on the 14th and was seen on surveillance with Emily on what I think was the morning of the 16th. I don't know if they spent that entire time together, though.

I agree with Christian not being truthful about seeing Lucas. It wasn't for nefarious reasons, he just did not want to get involved.

Were Christian and Emily having an affair? I know there has been speculation about both JH and EG being less than faithful to each other, but that hasn't really been discussed. I know it may seem irrelevant, but it could play a part in what happened to Lucas - i.e. did she hurt him because she was afraid he would say something to jh about the other man? Or did she lock him in a room (as @ESO mentioned and I have wondered about as well) and forget to tend to him - leading to him to die from dehydration/malnutrition(illness and no access to water/food)? That's why I think it may be relevant.

Also, was Lucas found in the clothing she reported him to be wearing? And was he in a pullup? I had wondered if he WAS wearing a pullup, if any soiling of it would be perserved/able to be tested forensically.

I sometimes feel that (a very small) part of the reason nothing ever seems to get better after cases like Lucas’ is that in our zeal not to hurt the family and other case players, not to have our conversation devolve into something resembling blame towards anyone other than the perpetrators
it would be nice to show family and friends that their loved ones are still remembered and never forgotten, I realise some family members are on here,and I would love to talk to Zarah's family/friends,as I only learned about Zarah in May,so all raw for me...x

He was seen on camera on Friday morning at that Kwik Shop. What he told us was that they hung out in the garage mostly and it has no direct access to the house. But one thing about Christian was that he was definitely mentally ill (I think the diagnosis he had was paranoid schizophrenia). He also said he slept in the garage and not in the house but like FLA, I think he was lying about that. I honestly think EG hid Lucas from Christian as much as possible so Lucas wouldn’t tell JH about him. It’s not uncommon for abused children to be locked for hours on end in their rooms. That could be why Lucas had a pull-up on if he was locked in his room with no access to the bathroom.

Absolutely. He was mentally ill and I believe she preyed on him.

Emily told investigators that Christian slept in the garage and did not enter the home. Christian told investigators that was not true and he slept in a bed. He said he bolted first thing Thursday morning because Emily freaked him out by reading tarot cards and attempting to have sex with him. We know that they were seen together Friday morning, so I'm not sure how much of any of that was true (as far as her reading tarot cards and attempting to have sex with him).

When we were first given the information that no one knew where Lucas was on Wednesday, my first thought was that she had him locked up somewhere. We know Emily and Christian spent a good amount of time together for several days so I believe Lucas was in the home and that Christian saw him... but that doesn't mean he wasn't locked up, either.

Were Christian and Emily having an affair? I know there has been speculation about both JH and EG being less than faithful to each other, but that hasn't really been discussed. I know it may seem irrelevant, but it could play a part in what happened to Lucas - i.e. did she hurt him because she was afraid he would say something to jh about the other man? Or did she lock him in a room (as @ESO mentioned and I have wondered about as well) and forget to tend to him - leading to him to die from dehydration/malnutrition(illness and no access to water/food)? That's why I think it may be relevant.

Also, was Lucas found in the clothing she reported him to be wearing? And was he in a pullup? I had wondered if he WAS wearing a pullup, if any soiling of it would be perserved/able to be tested forensically.

We don't have any confirmation from LE that says they were having an affair.

Lucas was wearing dark pants, a dark shirt, and no socks. We have not been told nor did we ask whether he was wearing a pull-up.

Edit: that was supposed to say no socks, sorry

Last edited:
I did want to add to the discussion tips for families in a situation like Lucas’s. From my time at CPS, I learned the most vulnerable kids are the ones who are not yet school aged, live in a home with a parent and an unrelated adult (like a boyfriend or girlfriend), have history of domestic violence and/or substance abuse and have little to no access to their other biological parent or extended family. I learned that babies don’t bruise, unless by serious injury or illness. And one of the most high risk times for abuse surrounds potty training. It’s amazing how many people who beat their children due to having potty accidents.

I would say that if both parents have shared or joint custody (regardless of where the child lives) the other parents often feel like they can’t do anything because they only have visitation. But that’s not true. If your child comes home with bruises, take them to a doctor or ER immediately. Do it every time. You need to have mandated reporters like doctors, teachers and therapists see your child. Call 911 so an officer can document the injuries, even if they can’t do anything, there will be a record. Call for well child checks when the child is with the other potential abusive parent. Especially if the residential parent denies visitation due to the other child “being sick”. Often it can be that the child is too bruised or scarred and they are trying to hide the abuse. You can insist on taking the child anyway, know your rights. Get a protective order for your child against their abuser (like dad’s girlfriend or mom’s boyfriend). Have other people witness your child’s injuries or scars. Document everything and take photos of them. But be very careful with questioning your child, you will want to learn how to discuss what’s going on with them. There are lots of books and resources out there to help you. Report everything to CPS, even if every time they don’t seem to find anything wrong, it’s a paper trail that matters. Finally, most states have what they call “self help” in their court system. You can find all the forms necessary to ask for emergency custody, parenting plans, custody changes.....you can act as your own attorney and it’s more successful then you might think. Insist on having a parenting plan filed, even if you weren’t married to your child’s other parent. Make sure to include a clause for Rights for First Refusal. Basically, what it means is if a parent will be gone for a certain length of time (like more than 3 or 4) during visitation, the other parent has the right to keep the child over a babysitter or other family member. I’ve also seen people include in their parenting plans a clause that says no live in girlfriend or boyfriend for either parent.

It is a frustrating and helpless feeling when you have a child you think may be abused and there is nothing you can do about it. Running away with the child may seem like a good idea, but it’s not. It will mean that once caught, you won’t have any access to your child. Don’t let the court system intimidate you. As an extended family member, you could go thru the process of becoming a foster home, or have a formal home study done. The courts would require that anyway if an extended family member was trying to get custody of an abused or neglected child. There are advocacy groups out there, use social media if you aren’t getting any help from the legal system. Ask for a guardian ad litem or CASA volunteer. Research what signs to look for if a child is being abused or neglected. Are they regressing like having accidents despite being potty trained for instance? Look at where your child’s bruises are, some are more indicative of abuse than others. For instance, the back of legs, ones that encircle the limbs, even the size and shape are important. Is the child having trouble sleeping? Are they clingy? Are they slow to meet normal milestones, have they stopped growing? How is their appetite? How do they react to other adults in your presence, how are their social skills? Do your research, ask lots of questions, don’t be scared to use the legal system. Don’t let the other parent intimidate or threaten you. Even if you aren’t getting anywhere, trying to be proactive in limiting their risk factors. That needs to be put in place right away, even if you are coparenting well together. If you find yourself in a situation where suspected abuse is happening, make sure to conduct yourself like you are in front of a judge or social worker......don’t threaten or yell or become spiteful. Even if the other parent acts that way to you, don’t reciprocate because a judge will look at how you behave and handle this tough situations.

I wish I could say there is one place you can turn too to help but it’s just not how it is. Unfortunately their are people who abuse the system out of spite. People will make reports to CPS because they are in a custody dispute, they aren’t reporting abuse, they are basically reporting complaints. I think there needs to be a change in how reports are taken. I think mandated reporters need to have dedicated lines and people in custody disputes should have another. I think that if there are more than 3-4 reports filed in a 6 month to a year time frame should trigger a CINC case. I think if the other parent has any domestic violence calls to their home should also be notified to the other parent as well as CPS. I could go on but anyway......I’m grateful to have met Lucas’s family and that we were able to help in the search. Lucas is now at peace, I’m just hopeful he may save other kids from ending up like him. The biggest tragedy would be if he died in vain.

@FindLucasAllen first of all I want to say my heart and prayers continue to be with you and all of Lucas’ family.
Secondly I have a question. In EG trial for CE, they had CSI testify about processing the house and IIRC all they really testified to was the fact no drugs or paraphernalia was found.
There was no mention of any processing of the house or it’s contents in the press conference. Have they released any information about that to You? I remember her written statement mentioning so much cleaning and laundry, and also seeing the washer unhooked in the garage door in photos in the news. I have been curious what was processed and what if anything was found- but they didn’t address that at all.

Something about Lucas's room felt "off" to investigators. Specifically the way his bed was placed in the room. But I don't know how his bed was placed exactly or what exactly was "off" about it.

During her CE trial, it was mentioned that her house was very clean and tidy.

Ok what productive things have we learned from Lucas’ death that can help save the next one. That is where we are at now, moo.

Kansas has been under the microscope now as a result of Ethan and Lucas. What is going on in our own states?

What is the status of Sherin’s Law?

What about Lucas’ Law? What IS Lucas’ Law?!

What are the solutions here. We can ***** about the problems all we want.

Lucas’ abuse and death leads to something good and helpful for the other mistreated little ones out there....what is it?

Look at the good that Amber Alerts have produced . And the emergence of TES, both through tragedy.

What torch has Lucas lit? With all the love and great minds here, what is the next step?

How about if you can’t have custody of your own kids you shouldn’t be able to be a guardian or caregiver of stepchildren? Thinking out loud. How the hell did that fall under the radar anyway? What is the protocol/system of crosschecking in such things?

Eta: how about people with known heavy drug usage have to undergo a mandatory visit from CPS etc to make sure the kids at home are safe...just thinking.

“7 Reports”. That’s BS.
Some really good thoughts there..x

Can't the children be taken into care on the first report,and work from there.
Instead of hearing about the few reports in which that child has been found dead.
Surely loads of kids would be saved that way.IMO

For real. Procreation is a huge problem in these situations. Moo.

Free Birth control for druggies? Some of them WANT to have kids so they can get Govt assistance. Not saying that is the case here (wait was this ever discussed as related to EG, Govt assistance?)

What is the final chapter here? Lucas is dead and so is Emily...Now what? There are too many caring people and child advocates here for aooomwrhing productive not to come out of this.

Time for Lucas’ Law, whatever that may be...thoughts??
Margarita 25 had some good thoughts..x

So if you ever want to commit a crime, move to Kansas because their laws suck.

I think what makes me the most angry about this is that the only justice that Lucas and family get is that Emily is dead too. If she was still alive, she would have gotten away with it. She seriously would have gotten away with it. A circumstantial case would have turned out just like Casey freaking Anthony.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back