Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone find it odd that "Police in southern Utah" are asking residents to be on the lookout for her??

"They don’t know if Tibbetts is in Utah but they say she has family connections in Southern Utah, and they ask anyone who sees the woman to call their local police agency." Police in southern Utah ask residents to be on lookout for missing Iowa woman

That's interesting. I noted an exchange between Mollie and a relative in California, saying hey you didn't come see me when you were in town.

So they ask to be looking for her in Utah, but not California where her Dad lives?

According to BF's mother, Mollie and her brother shared a car. He texted her in morning to see if she needed a ride to work, he received no response. When she didn't show up to work, the alarms went off.
The text by MT brother would have had to been early since in a post upthread she needed to be at the camp very early (6:30?). It seems the places where all close together, moms house, BF house and camp. But the brother would need to be up early to text her and confirm, drive over to pick up. Did the brother live at home with the mom?
And why wouldn't the brother confirm she needed a ride the night before when dropping her off? Seems she would need a ride since no one was at the house she was staying.

Does anyone find it odd that "Police in southern Utah" are asking residents to be on the lookout for her??

"They don’t know if Tibbetts is in Utah but they say she has family connections in Southern Utah, and they ask anyone who sees the woman to call their local police agency." Police in southern Utah ask residents to be on lookout for missing Iowa woman
I'm afraid the interest in "family connections in southern Utah" is because of some crazy or criminal relative. Mollie also has Oakland, CA family connections, but the sheriff’s office didn’t mention searching for Mollie around Oakland, CA. Why did this sheriff only mention searching for Mollie in southern Utah?
Prayer held for missing Iowa woman with Oakland ties

I searched
Utah Department of Corrections Sex and Kidnap Offender Registry- Contact
for sex offenders and abductors with Mollie's last name and her mother's last name (family connections). There weren't any sex offenders or abductors with their last names.

Last edited:
My thinking at this point (subject to change) is she got up early while still dark. Let the dogs out. Got ready for work and out for quick jog. Then something happened. Her personal belongings left at the house tell me she intended to return and head to work.

Thank you for this input / outlook. So, it could be fair to say that the mother thought she was skipping "lunch / dinner," which I suppose would be less worrisome / odd. I just know that if my mother was expecting me for any meal, and I did not show up or contact her, she'd definitely have raised alarms. But, this could have been normal for them.

Yes, if her mother meant Thursday noon meal as “dinner”. I think by that point the alarm had already been raised since she didn’t show up for work that morning.

We don't know what conversation Mollie and her Brother had prior regarding a ride to work. Maybe she was suppose to get back with him and didn't and checked in last minute. Soooo much we don't know.

75% of people who commit suicide do it at home. They want their bodies to be found.
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/means-matter/basic-suicide-facts/where/
I don't have Harvard statistics on where the 25% who don't kill themselves at home commit their final act. Through personal experience, I will attest that the vast majority of the 25% likely end their lives in a place where there bodies will easily be found. This doesn't apply for Mollie. Many people searched for days to find her. Drones were sent up looking for her body. Law enforcement stated every barn, shed, garage, house, and back road was searched in two small cities.

Yeah. You're definitely right. But we've seen several cases where people disappear and are found hidden, having committed suicide.

Mother of college student Linnea Lomax found her daughter’s body hanging from a tree - NY Daily News

Death Of Missing Colorado Woman Ruled Suicide

However, I'm not necessarily talking about suicide. Sometimes they just take off and hide due to pressure.

Missing Ivy League Student Tells Why She ‘Disappeared’

After 21-day disappearance, Camden woman home with her parents - News - The Florida Times-Union - Jacksonville, FL

Anything is possible right now maybe.

I don’t think Mollie would commit suicide. Based on everything, she had everything going for her. She has so much to live for and a lot of ppl who loved her. You can tell from the pics. But then again, some ppl hide their depression quite well, that you can never know they’re hurting inside.

Personally I don't think that is a solid alibi. Unless LEO have looked into their activity ALL night.

At that age, that demographic (young, unmarried, no kids or property issues) it would be unusual to premeditate a murder with that level of planning.

Typically it's something that occurs due to an attempted break up and occurs without developing alibis.

Usually they kill the girlfriend or boyfriend in the home and either move the body, or say they weren't there, etc.

I've seen planning extensive alibis align more with older perps who feel they have a lot to lose and aren't as impulsive.

It will be interesting to see what pans out.

Disappearance of University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts remains a mystery

“She had sent me a shopping list for a desert she wanted to make and take to work,” she said. “I texted her that I got the ingredients and asked if she was coming home for dinner.”

According to Calderwood, Tibbetts said she would be home and asked what they were having and she replied “brats.” Tibbetts said, “Ok.”

But dinner came and went, Calderwood said, and Tibbetts didn’t come home.

The last known contact her daughter had with anyone was at about 10 p.m. Wednesday night, Calderwood said, when she exchanged Snapchat messages with her boyfriend.

So, going by this, it was THAT night she was supposed to be home for dinner and no-showed.

This is a great article btw guys - has her activities listed of what she did earlier in the day (new info as far as I know)

Me neither, but I was surprised by the recent disappearance and suicide of another young college student last month. I guess you never know. But Mollie seems so grounded, happy in what she is pursuing.

I hate to say this, but I'm leaning towards a surprise abduction. I've heard no mention of shoes, were her running shoes in the home? What about what she was seen jogging in? Was the door locked or unlocked when someone arrived to check on her? Did the dog/dogs have an accident on the floor (speaks to time passed since they had been let out). Were the lights on in the house? Did it appear she had showered?

I also have these questions. Plus, were there signs of a struggle at the house?

I don’t think Mollie would commit suicide. Based on everything, she had everything going for her. She has so much to live for and a lot of ppl who loved her. You can tell from the pics. But then again, some ppl hide their depression quite well, that you can never know they’re hurting inside.

So did Kate Spade. So did Anthony Bourdain. So did this lovely girl:

"Madison was beautiful, talented, successful -- very nearly the epitome of what every young girl is supposed to hope she becomes. But she was also a perfectionist who struggled when she performed poorly. She was a deep thinker, someone who was aware of the image she presented to the world, and someone who often struggled with what that image conveyed about her, with how people superficially read who she was, what her life was like."
From The Mag: Penn runner's depression masked on social media

That really sometimes has nothing to do with why people kill themselves.

That article really explains the pressure young people had today to be perfect, in this social media age, and how they feel defeated by everyone else's portrayals f a beautiful life.

Suicide is a possibility. As is just running off. As is foul play.

I really hope she ran off!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member