PA PA - Philadelphia, N Corinthian St, WhtFem 50-65, UP17764, strangled & beaten, in basement, Dec'79

I couldnt find a thread for this one and frankly I never heard of it before it was recently added on namus, WARNING P.M if you click on the link below.

I could not find anyone that matched her but hopefully this case can get some attention now that is was added.

Unidentified Person Case
Thank you Moonwalker9 for posting her.. yes I came across her yesterday and I had never seen or heard of her.
this link also has *Graphic Postmortem*
The Lost & The Found

Date found Dec. 10, 1979
Age 50 to 65 years old
Sex Female
Race White
Ethnicity Unsure
Circumstances Unknown white female found beaten and strangled in the basement of 723 N. Corinthian St.

Body condition Recognizable face
Post-mortem interval Not specified
Estimated age Adult - Pre 70
Weight 105 lbs
Height 62 inches
Hair color Brown

Left eye color Brown
Right eye color Brown
Head hair The scalp is covered by a moderate amount of brown-gray, rather long hair which some is entwined in a red-brown thick wig.

The Doe Network: Case File 1149DFCA
MLWatkins.jpg

Mary Louise Watkins
Missing since May 17, 1979 from Modesto, Stanislaus County, California.
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

• Date Of Birth: April 20, 1925
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 54 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2"; 130 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; hazel eyes. Wears glasses with dark plastic frames.
    • Marks, Scars: Surgical scars on lower torso
    • Dentals: Not available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Watkins was last seen on May 17, 1979 in Modesto, packing her belongings into a car. She was last seen by a friend, with who she had been living. She told her friend she was moving to San Jose to live with her daughter. Watkins never made it to her daughters home.

Her vehicle was found two days later in the parking lot of what now is known as the Sutter Gould Medical Foundation building at 600 Coffee Road. None of her property was in the car.

Watkins has 28000 dollar in cash with her when she left for San Jose. The money was from the sale of her Modesto home. She had told her banker she was going to use the money to invest in property together with a friend. Police contacted Watkins' daughter who said she knew nothing about her mothers plan to move in with her, not that she had sold her home. Several days after the car was found, the daughter received a letter from Watkins saying she was eloping to get married. Watkins' disappearance is suspicious since she gave several friends different stories as to why she was going out of town. It seemed she was trying to keep her plans a secret. Wtkins worked as a nurse at Modesto City Hospital prior to her disappearance. Foul play is suspected.

The Doe Network: Case File 2871DFFL
Marjorie Flewellin Wilson
Missing since December 4, 1976 from Deltona, Seminole County, Florida
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

• Date Of Birth: September 23, 1910
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 66 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2"; 112 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Gray hair; brown eyes. She often wore dark rimmed glasses.
    • Clothing: Lavender pantsuit and orange shoes.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Marjorie Wilson of Deltona, was last seen in her car at the Lake Monroe Inn on US 17-92, circa 21.00 on December 4, 1976.
Her husband left her in the car, after she had become ill during a meal with friend, and went into the inn to pay a bill, leaving the motor of the 1973 Chevrolet Impala running.

When he returned five minutes later, the car and his wife were gone. The car is brown and yellow, with license number 8W-3270. It is suspected that Mrs. Wilson was abducted. Foul play is suspected.

I found the location, I think. I found it under Ave not St ,which is how its written. What I thought was interesting is the Penitentiary is on the corner of the block.

Google Maps

I just deleted the post because for some reason my computer got stuck amd loaded it 2 times sorry

When I saw the PM picture my first thought was that I didn't think she looked white. Maybe it's just the lighting in the picture, but to me she looks like she could be mixed race, native American or light skinned Middle Eastern - Indian, maybe. But I suppose the police and a coroner would know these things better than me. Maybe she'd just been out in the sun a lot.

From the clothing description, I wonder if she was homeless. Some of the clothes were described as 'very soiled'. It's a strange situation, being found in a basement. Was it an abandoned house? That could also suggest that she was homeless - plus, her remaining unidentified. It could also be a domestic incident in which the partner dumped her in an abandoned house. They should be able to tell if she was killed there or not. If it wasn't an abandoned house... then how did she get there?? Who would dump a body, or murder someone, in a stranger's house?

When I saw the PM picture my first thought was that I didn't think she looked white. Maybe it's just the lighting in the picture, but to me she looks like she could be mixed race, native American or light skinned Middle Eastern - Indian, maybe. But I suppose the police and a coroner would know these things better than me. Maybe she'd just been out in the sun a lot.

From the clothing description, I wonder if she was homeless. Some of the clothes were described as 'very soiled'. It's a strange situation, being found in a basement. Was it an abandoned house? That could also suggest that she was homeless - plus, her remaining unidentified. It could also be a domestic incident in which the partner dumped her in an abandoned house. They should be able to tell if she was killed there or not. If it wasn't an abandoned house... then how did she get there?? Who would dump a body, or murder someone, in a stranger's house?
oh those are all great questions..

I also had not seen the list of clothing.. does sound homeless

Clothing
1.) A brown, long-sleeved short coat
2.) Very soiled brown sloth coat
3.) A blue, gray, white and tan long-sleeved cotton short shirt
4.) A red, very soil jacket with a red, blue, and yellow shirt, zipper-closed long-sleeved jacket
5.) Bubuska
6.) A pair of pantyhose
7.) A pair of red slacks
On the Body

Footwear
Blue and black cloth slip-on house slippers with rubber soles
On the Body

The house is localed in Fairmound neighbourhood, close to eastern state penitentiary and Fairmound Ave. Doens't look like it was an abandoned house (maybe was diffrent in 79?), Actually it lookes like a typical innter city house with 3 floors. Here's the exact location from maps. 729 Corinth Ave. Guess the perp was local and dropped her in the basement? probably had a connection to it.

Google Maps

Same thoughts here..from India...I don't see Native American here immediately (there could be a problem with the race description, that happens a lot) so many clothes....and can somebody help me with the medical description... Wondering about the bubuska also....I don't know what they mean with that, I know it as a Russian doll (a big doll with smaller ones in them, but spelled differently) Or do they mean a Hindi headscarf (spelled differently) Can somebody enlighten me? All the muddy clothing? Killed somewhere else and dumped there to hide the body. You are a real hero hitting a woman like that....(sorry guys) I'm mad.

Last edited:
It was December..don't know what the temperature was like...but I guess colder...the two coats are not consistent with the slippers IMO

This is so sad! :( Next year will be 40 years, and with an age range of 50-65 it means that she would have turned 90-105 next year.

So her parents obviously aren't still alive, and any siblings would be getting REALLY up there in age...

I'm so sad for her :(

I searched for the weather report...but coming from the other side of the ocean..and our privacy laws can't see a lot of sites anymore...thank you...this was just the one I wanted to see.

babushka: (North American English translate and also a different spelling) A headscarf tied under the chin, typical of those traditionally worn by Russian women. 'Headscarves, kerchiefs, but not babushkas are definitely in.' 'This headcovering is often referred to as a babushka, named after the Russian word for 'grandmother.''

Could she be a Russian immigrant or someone with Russian roots?

Last edited:
I searched for the weather report...but coming from the other side of the ocean..and our privacy laws can't see a lot of sites anymore...thank you...this was just the one I wanted to see.

babushka: (North American English translate and also a different spelling) A headscarf tied under the chin, typical of those traditionally worn by Russian women. 'Headscarves, kerchiefs, but not babushkas are definitely in.' 'This headcovering is often referred to as a babushka, named after the Russian word for 'grandmother.''

Could she be a Russian immigrant or someone with Russian roots?
Iam wondering if she was a gypsy or can be light skinned Hispanic. I wonder what the demographic of the neighborhood was.?

It was 1979 and I was thinking Babuska I know many older women wore them still especially in the winter or plastic see through ones in the rain.
I remember growing up and getting picked up at school and many moms wore them with curlers underneath and others had their hair done in perms under it. I remember my neighbors grandmother they were Italian and she used to wear one all the time. I think a lot of old ladies wore them well at least here in NY.

This is so sad! :( Next year will be 40 years, and with an age range of 50-65 it means that she would have turned 90-105 next year.

So her parents obviously aren't still alive, and any siblings would be getting REALLY up there in age...

I'm so sad for her :(
Yeah the whole thing is kind of sad. She seems like she was a homeless person.

Yes, it's sad (like a lot of other cases) The good thing is that she was added to Namus....gives her a little bit more change to be identified one day (trying to be positive here) The coats and the footwear is confusing....I'm thinking more in the direction of cut of from heating because of a lack of money...but she was at a kind of home....so a domestic dispute....Or she tried to escape one day from her home (out there the cold weather) from an abusive relationship and quickly put on as much coats she could grab...the footwear is bothering me....everything is bothering me actually....

More photos added on namus.

I wish this case would get the same attention as Vernon County Jane Doe

Doens't look like it was an abandoned house (maybe was diffrent in 79?), Actually it lookes like a typical innter city house with 3 floors. Here's the exact location from maps. 729 Corinth Ave. Guess the perp was local and dropped her in the basement? probably had a connection to it.

The house was likely abandoned and in a state of disrepair at the time. Newspaper notice from Philly Inquirer - May 14, 1982 (pertinent portion only), HUD taking bids for repair/replacement of homes.
https://www.newspapers.com/image/?c...9.mgks6Vwxg8aEw4mXyUi8tTuDkU3oWhWaaOaVeigedFc

Attachments

• NamUs 17764 723 N Corinthian.JPG
    NamUs 17764 723 N Corinthian.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 11
  • NamUs 17764 723 N Corinthian 2.JPG
    NamUs 17764 723 N Corinthian 2.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 8
The house was likely abandoned and in a state of disrepair at the time. Newspaper notice from Philly Inquirer - May 14, 1982 (pertinent portion only), HUD taking bids for repair/replacement of homes.
31 Dec 1969, - at Newspapers.com

Nice find CCJD. Thank you. I think it was a perfect place to dump a body or to search for shelter in the basement and then something happened to her. Was there evidence for the beating (bloodsplatters) in the basement, I wonder.

I'm still confused about the things she had on her. What for instance is a sloth coat. Do they mean a coat from fur of sloths (animals living mainly in south and central America) or just a shaggy haired kind of coat.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back