Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO
In one of the very early People articles yesterday I can almost swear I saw references that a tip is what pointed LE out to the pig farm. I think the article changed to remove that because I could not find it later in the day.
I wonder if LE made them remove it.

If we assume there was a tip that drove LE out there then what kind of tip could it have been?

Maybe either SM or someone called LE with inside information about a person.

No matter what it was that brought them out there LE sure is taking it seriously so the tip must have been credible.

Hope a break in the case comes soon.

Investigators search two hog farms in Guernsey, still no sign of Mollie

But speaking of those tips in question, the rumor mill continues to flourish and a lot of times it’s not accurate. That’s why authorities advise, if people are not sure on information about the case, to try to not spin the web further on social media.

“Some of them appeared to have some credibility so law enforcement runs those leads out and that is a lot of wasted resources,” said Mortvedt.

I'm still 10 pages behind, but i'm sure I always will be, so I'm just going to post a couple quick thoughts.

My little cousin just took me and my daughter out on his Gator to see the corn on our family farmland, we are in PA so slightly different, but we went through the middle and I couldn't see two rows out. I wouldn't have known if there was a person 5 feet from me because you literally can't see. We were completely surrounded by corn, we both know the area very well so we wouldn't get lost but if you didn't know the smells to lead you out (bird farm, very distinct smell will lead you right to the road) you could be lost for a good amount of time.
Aforementioned little cousin is about 14, super responsible kid, farming community, sometimes he doesn't come home till late because he is working on farming stuff especially during the summer, he might text his mom whats for dinner, but if he is coming home and one of the neighbors has something better he is probably stopping, he will probably ask what they need done around the house since they fed him (lots of older people in the community, kids tend to move away after college). Nobody really thinks anything of him missing dinner, nor do they bat an eyelash that he is out after dark, it's just the life in that area. I just wanted to point out how different things are in "small town farm country America" versus how I live in the suburbs. If my daughter even thought about getting in a gator and driving to the neighbors house I'd probably have heart failure, but my little cousin just goes, it's just a different way of life.
Not really sure what I'm trying to say other than things that may look suspicious to some are just common place and sometimes region or lifestyle specific. Brooklyn just reminds me so much of the area where my family lives and if you have never lived in an area like that it would seem absolutely foreign.
This is nearly the exact same scenario in the area surrounding Brooklyn/Powesheik County. 334, 000+ acres of corn and soy beans and unless you literally farm that land, everyone knows to STAY OUT OF THE CORN. Getting lost and disoriented happens lightning fast. Can't hear, huge mosquitos, razor sharp blades, etc. https://www.agcensus.usda.gov/Publications/2012/Online_Resources/County_Profiles/Iowa/cp19157.pdf

No new information really, but a decent overview of the searches they've done so far here: Mollie Tibbetts: 'We follow through on everything,' investigators say of search

From that article:

Mitch Mortvedt, assistant director of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, a state agency investigating the case, said Thursday that there have been "a couple" searches of properties based on tips, but that to his knowledge none of them have required police to secure warrants because property owners have been cooperative.

One of those searches took place Wednesday night in southern Poweshiek County along Iowa Highway 21, but it did not result in anything, he said.

"There was nothing of investigative value last night that was discovered with the search," Mortvedt said. The search was the subject of speculation Wednesday and Thursday on social media.

JMO
This sounds like the wording I remember early on in one of the first articles that confirmed the searching of the pig farm.

"there have been "a couple" searches of properties based on tips"

Investigators search two hog farms in Guernsey, still no sign of Mollie

>>snip

The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation said they are checking out every lead they get but still have no suspects tied to her disappearance.

Authorities searched two hog farms Thursday in Guernsey. That’s about fifteen minutes southeast of Brooklyn.

The DCI said they originally checked them out in the morning and interviewed two farmers. But, nothing came out of it. Then, just before 5 p.m. authorities went back to one of them with a canine unit. While they haven’t said if that search has yielded results, the DCI told TV9. As long as they get tips, they’re not stopping until they find Tibbetts.

“You know, as long as we still have information coming in and we feel that we’re being productive, which we feel that we are, there’s been no talk about that amongst the investigative group with all the agencies involved,” said Iowa DCI agent Mitch Mortvedt.

I don't know if anyone is interested, but not all Fitbit have GPS functionality. I think it is only Ionic and Surge. I know for a fact that my Alta does not have GPS so tracking it would not help at all.

Fitbit Help - Does my Fitbit device have GPS?

Not exactly true.

If you read back there was much discussion yesterday about this and it can still be useful because right from that article it says even if that unit did not have its own receiver for the GPS signal, then there is an APP that can be downloaded to use the GPS location from the cell phone and then used within the Fitbit so it can still help LE. I suspect she used the APP and her phone with her Fitbit so Fitbit database probably has information.

"If your device isn’t compatible with GPS, you can use the Fitbit app to capture GPS data during your workouts (known as MobileRun).
"

Fitbit Help - Does my Fitbit device have GPS?

Updated outfit description: "At the time, she was wearing dark-colored running shorts, a pink "sports top" and running shoes of an unknown color, according to DCI."

UPDATE: Timeline, description released in case of missing woman Mollie Tibbetts

Mollie Tibbetts, 20, a student at the University of Iowa, was last seen July 18 at around 7:30 p.m. while running the city streets of Brooklyn, Iowa, according to the Iowa Department of Public Safety's Division of Criminal Investigation in a Friday press release.

While running the city streets - I guess the idea that her route took her somewhere extremely remote/away from town could be less likely? Wonder if they have video from businesses that shows her now? If so they are surely getting very close to a suspect, unless they already are watching someone.

I can respect that. I guess after following so many of these cases I've become a pessimist in a way. Sadly, none of the ones I've followed have ended well if the missing person didn't return within a few days. She seems like a responsible happy well adjusted young lady. If she wasn't taken against her will then why would she not have phoned her boyfriend or mother by now? :(

I did follow a couple of cases that ended up with someone finding the missing person dead from suicide. But there were some signs of depression or mental illness on social media or from family and friend testimonies prior to the body being found. Suicide in this case doesn't seem likely.

I do hope she is found alive, but from the past cases I've followed, I feel like too much time has passed for that possibility. But it absolutely remains a possibility. I held out hope a LONG time for Mickey because there was a long time where all we had was a bike in Whiskey Bay. Many locals thought maybe someone was holding her as a slave or that she was being trafficked. We didn't want to lose hope of her still being alive. But deep down we knew it wasn't likely at all. She wasn't suicidal and she didn't fit the "mold" of those who are trafficked. And she was too old to have been like an Elizabeth Smart or Jaycee Dugard.
EXCELLENT points. What’s known about this case certainly matches closer to an abduction than anything voluntary, and statistically the probable outcome looks worse with every passing day. But consider this:

I’ve lived in small town Iowa most of my life. Nothing’s wrong in my life now so don’t read this wrong: I’ve considered just disappearing and never coming back. I know all too well that what others see as a pretty wonderful life might not look so wonderful through my eyes. And what I’m saying here is that NOBODY knows what Mollie is feeling. If there was a motive to just disappear it’s likely nobody would know it except Mollie.

If disappearing were my motive, could I pull it off? Personally right now no, but in her situation I likely could. First I would need a plan, where I’m going to go and who’s going to help me. You would have a terrible time finding record of my contacts, I’d take care not to leave much of a paper trail. I wouldn’t take my wallet or ID, I’d take only whatever mad money I’ve got secretly stashed. And I’d take my phone and Fitbit to cover my trail. I’d probably turn them both off and end up smashing them and throwing the pieces in a river hundreds of miles away. I’d have a new set of contacts, probably change of clothes or two - no more than I could put in a backpack. And I’d leave when nobody is around and I’ve got a window of opportunity to get a couple hundred miles away before anybody notices I’m missing.

I’m not saying that did happen, I’m saying something along those lines is a possibility. And if that’s what did happen, what we’re seeing right now is exactly what it would look like. And if so, will she eventually resurface? For sure, but it’s only been a week. Even if most of us couldn’t pull it off long term I’m absolutely positive I could make it a week.

Sure makes me mad that women aren't safe running on their own in their own neighborhoods (and I'm assuming here she went missing while running, not from the home....but that is not a fact at this point, afaik).

jmo

While running the city streets - I guess the idea that her route took her somewhere extremely remote/away from town could be less likely? Wonder if they have video from businesses that shows her now? If so they are surely getting very close to a suspect, unless they already are watching someone.
it just means they got her on camera somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member