Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the point of this presser was to make a statement about what LE is doing, thanking fellow officers and the local community for their help, and encourage folks to keep calling in tips.

I also think part of the reason for them to not release a timeline could possibly be because Molly's Fitbit and/or phone data is critical to locating her. As in, pinged off a tower at such and such place, or the Fitbit was still recording data for a few days after she was gone. Obviously they don't want any potential suspect to know that they know that.

The last "known" clothes she was wearing leads me to believe she did not make it back to the BF's house.

moo

As frustrating as this may seem, I do believe LE has a plan and a reason for not sharing. While everyone would love more information, there HAS to be a reason they are not releasing more. A reason that has to beneficial to their investigation and to Mollie.

Apologies for any typos, some words/names are foreign to me!

Kevin Walker
Director of Operations for Public Safety

Tom Kriegle
Sheriff

Special Investigator In Charge
Randy Theisy

Hearts go out to Tibbetts family & Brooklyn community. We've appreciated their cooperation during a very difficult time.

TK
July 19 2018 20 yrs old MT was reported missing
Last seen July 18th at 19:30
Dark running shorts, sports top, running shoes

LE & volunteers have searched tirelessly-30-40 investigators, 200 leads, canines, ground, air
Working case aggressively
Contact established tiplines with any info
Dedicated tipline 800 452 1111 515 223 1400
tips@poweshiekcosheriff.com
£2,000 reward total
Thanks to media for getting the word out

RT
Very proud of law enforcement bro & sis - interviewing skills, tech skills, come together like been together 20 years
Amount of resources spent today & future, very proud.

KW
View the media as a partner, appreciate everything you're doing, sees her face on the news when he gets home.
LE countless hours to investigate.
Every available deputy.
DCI many agents & analysts dedicated across the state
FBI has dedicated agents
12+ agencies have dedicated time as have Fire & EMS & community members
Constant outpouring by community to feed & hydrate investigators

Leads come in, prioritise, follow up on.
Appreciate assistance.
Every investigative resource that team has asked for has been provided.
Not giving up on any leads

We do not plan to provide leads or findings to public at this time.
If we find something that will lead to Mollie we will follow up

Reported missing 19th Jul when not at work

Not identified reason for disappearance

Not ruled out any reason

If we do not confirm or deny anything = this does not mean that you can infer anything.

Public - use phone number/email address
Support the Tibbetts family.
Anything you can do in the community to help us find Mollie

Friday August 3rd - next press conference.

Media wants to talk to LE, but LE keeping investigators on investigation so will do regular briefings every few days.

Questions:
1. Timeline, how important is that?
We have a timeline we're confident in. It's important to us. Important for us to get to know Mollie, what's normal & what isn't. Understanding who was in the area of Brooklyn is important.

2. Where did she disappear from? On or after run?
We're not going to discuss this detail today. Is it something LE need to share with media or for investigative team to deal with? I'll leave it at that.

3. Status of data from FitBit?
Not discussing findings or conclusions. WE're looking at all tech as it relates to Mollie

4. Do you suspect an abduction?
We don't know where Mollie's at right now & not going to draw any conclusions. Not consistent with her past.

5. [unheard]

6. Snapchat. Sent at 10pm or opened at 10pm?
All findings, not talking about them. Best kept with investigative team. Respect that people want to know but our investigators know what's best for Mollie.

7. Any persons of interest?
Pursuing every lead available.

8. [unheard]
We don't have a / we can't tell you why Mollie is missing. Encourage everybody to take standard precautions. Everyone needs to be cognisant of surroundings. If you see something, say something. LE will go to sus activity calls, noises at night. It's what they're paid to do. Vested interested in people of Iowa.

9. Running down every lead. Bodies of water searched? Leads outside county or state>
Running down ALL leads. Kept at investigative team level.

10. Almost 2 weeks -are you still getting new leads/tops
Yes

11. Are you working off searches or tips?
Searches are prioritised as they come in. Investigators prioritising & re=prioritising leads as they come in

Last edited:
Just recently started following this case and haven't had a chance to read up on all the threads. I have a few thoughts based on what I've read while skimming through thread #7 and a couple of other places…

Timeline: I read somewhere that she was dropped off at the dog sitting location around 5:30. One of the members here mentioned that she was supposedly goofing off with friends online from 5:30 to about 7-7:30. Last text (to her mom iirc) was about 7-7:30. Seen while running around 7:30. If she was goofing off with friends between 5:30 and 7:30 and seen out running around 7:30, then she was possibly just getting out to do her daily run about that time and would have arrived back to the house maybe an hour, give or take, after being seen?

Last text: IIRC her last text was to her mom about dinner and picking up ingredients for a dessert. If that text was sent around 7:30, I'd be inclined to think it was in reference to dinner the following day, especially considering the time and that she was possibly just getting ready to head out for her daily run since she was seen running around the time she sent the text, or shortly thereafter . If she was referring to dinner the evening of the 18th and never showed, her family would have likely been concerned when she didn't show up for dinner that evening.

Red Shirt/workout clothes: I read somewhere, I forget where, that the red shirt was accounted for. Were the clothes she wore for her run accounted for? If the outfit she wore to go running is missing, that could tell us something about when she went missing, i.e. before taking a shower and going to bed (I'm only assuming she would have showered and changed before bed after going for a run in the middle of July). If that's the case, it would suggest she went missing the evening of the 18th instead of the morning of the 19th.

The Dogs: If the dogs were only put in the basement while nobody was home, perhaps she put them there before leaving for her run and delayed letting them out because she wanted to complete a homework assignment and shower first?

I hope and pray they are trying to throw someone off with this press conference, acting like they really don't know anything. IMO they need to forget about profiling and go with their gut feelings, regular old police work.

This PC is so frustrating! The timeline is very important and crucial to the investigation, but we aren't going to tell you what the timeline actually is. Did she go home after the run or not? Yes...one of those. ARGH.

JMO
They could have spoke generally and at least told us where they thought she was last at. Home or on jog.

My goodness This is what we were talking about earlier. Give us something to help.

Q: do you think the public is at risk?

this was a sensitive question. He paused a good 7 seconds before responding and then avoided the question
It's an impossible question. If she was abducted, then obviously there is a dangerous person out there. If she left, the public is not in danger, but he can't say that because they don't know for sure.

I think his answer was the only one he could give responsibly. (Kinda odd he didn't have a ready answer, though, as he really did hesitate.)

jmo

They sound frustrated.

Either:

A) They think she's missing willingly after they've wasted so many investigative hours searching for her
B) They literally have no solid leads whatsoever.

Interesting how he really hesitated when they asked if the public is at risk, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sshamrick2011