Identified! MI - Detroit, WhtFem UP8272, 18-20, in garbage dump, recent childbirth, Feb'87 - n/a

I just saw this UID when I was looking on the Doe Network. I saw a few people suggested Gail Northington. NamUs does have a profile pic of her now. I don't think Gail is the UID. Here is her picture.

img_53196.jpeg

I found that Tina Walls missing from Gulfport MS has been recently added to NamUs, last heard from in Jan 1987. https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/28393/1/
Her age is off along with her height but I have seen both off before. Here is a side by side of the UID and Tina

1207UFMI_LARGE.jpgthumb_52500.jpeg

The smile is throwing things off with comparing Gail's photo. The general shape of face, especially through the eyes and nose, is quite close.

agree with this. some abusers keep their mates "homely" and some give constant pressure to look perfect... and put them down about how ugly they are. im thinking her mate was probably quite "pretty boy" and "mr. nice guy" to those around him but a monster behind closed doors. possibly older than her. chose a young pretty mate and kept her dolled up but put her down. and eventually killed her.

This is, almost verbatim, what I came here to post about what I think the killer and his M.O. were like.

Her haircut and dye job were pretty distinctive, even for the 80s...even after all this time, might some stylists somewhere remember her as their customer?

The main question, though, is this: Where is that baby? Might he have killed it, too, and might it also have remained unidentified for this same length of time? Having a child with him(and one with a birth certificate, too, since her scar suggests she gave birth at a hospital) would more or less guarantee he'd have a "trail" following him until it graduated high school, and he probably would have wanted to avoid that sort of thing. Even more pressing(to him, that is) would be the fact that - since she'd been nursing - he'd have to buy formula, take care of the baby, be a father, etc., all while disposing of its mother's body and maybe moving/hiding.

I mean, it's entirely possible that nobody but himself and the mother(well, and the staff at whichever hospital) ever even SAW that baby - at the time she died, it was still young enough to hide.

I can't think of any missing babies from this time period, but I can't help but wonder.

Babies abandoned to hospitals or etc. around that time period(especially anonymously) should maybe be looked at as well.

All good thoughts, but seems like it's equally likely that he just told people his wife/girlfriend ran off and left him with the baby. Or he showed up at his mother's or sister's with the same story.

I'm glad someone bumped this thread. Just a thought but I've lived here all my life and at the time, and still, this is a very rough neighborhood. In semi close proximity to Harpo's concert theatre and the Iroc, two very popular rock nightclubs at the time, among others. I just cant see why she would be down there unless she was taken or placed there. I have a gut feeling that this young lady was never reported missing and was possibly another girl lost to the lifestyle. I'm hoping somebody remembers this girl, because I believe this is very solvable.

Hey everyone, was Hazel Klug ever ruled out? I came here after seeing a picture of her next to this UID. I know the eye colour is not the same and there are a couple of other pieces but if she left because of circumstances, then it could fit.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/1100/

Klug disappeared in May 1986 and the deceased woman was found February 1987, which is just 9 months. So the only way it could be her is if she was already pregnant, and there's no indication she was.

Though I suppose that if she was pregnant, that might be a reason for leaving.

I agree re no indication of pregnancy. Hazel's profile on doe network says that her purse and a suitcase were missing. There is not really an awful lot that matches - the side by side profile sketch and Hazel's picture look very similar. This particular UID doesn't have a full dna profile (hope i have said that right) I saw a few pages back someone had mentioned Hazel but the thread then went in a different direction and we are still here unidentified. I get a bit heartbroken for all these people that have no name to be remembered by. I wish that we could wave a magic wand and fix things for them.

I agree re no indication of pregnancy. Hazel's profile on doe network says that her purse and a suitcase were missing. There is not really an awful lot that matches - the side by side profile sketch and Hazel's picture look very similar. This particular UID doesn't have a full dna profile (hope i have said that right) I saw a few pages back someone had mentioned Hazel but the thread then went in a different direction and we are still here unidentified. I get a bit heartbroken for all these people that have no name to be remembered by. I wish that we could wave a magic wand and fix things for them.

Yeah, it's sad they couldn't get enough DNA to complete a profile. I wonder if they're trying the tests again? There are advanced techniques that can sometimes be used, but I don't know whether they'd work in this case.

And yeah. I get heartbroken too. So many people who didn't get to go home...

Detective in charge of her case makes a new appeal to try to identify her (and another UID): http://www.wxyz.com/news/thursday-at-10-inside-the-search-for-missing-persons
Krebs also believes someone must be looking for a woman who had been stabbed to death. Her body was found at a trash recycling center on Detroit’s East Side back in 1987.
Krebs says she was 5’6” and 114 pounds, had recently given birth, and appeared to be someone who took good care of herself. At the time of her murder, she was wearing two rings on her left hand.

“She had a haircut where it was longer on the underneath, it was kind of tapered down and maybe shoulder length. And the top was very layered and kind of feathered. We could tell that the highlights were very recent, probably within the last 2 weeks or so [before she was murdered],” said Det. Krebs.

Bumping for this young mother in remembrance of her being found 30 years ago this month.
Her baby would be in his/her early 30s. Hopefully they are looking for her, maybe?
Does anyone know if they took her reconstruction to all the local beauty salons? I realize there were probably hundreds in the area, but it would have been worth reaching out to them. Based on my sister's long time experience as a beautician, she would have remembered this girl if she were a regular client, possibly even so many years later. Of course, there were chain salons that had a high volume of walk-in and one time customers, but if they had circulated her picture in the very beginning, they would have had the best chance, IMHO. Was this even attempted, does anyone know?
There are now 7 rule outs on her NamUs page
The DNA status still shows insufficient DNA for profiling. I guess they weren't successful when they exhumed her body to try to extract a viable sample?
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/8272

This one is so sad. The poor woman had a recent haircut, painted her nails, and wore jewelry. She was seemingly healthy, and a new mom. She clearly took care of herself.

This screams domestic abuse to me. I agree with the above posters that her boyfriend or husband told everyone she took the baby and left. I wonder what happened to the little one.

Missing in Michigan, a 501c3 non-profit that works with law enforcement is raising money to do DNA sequencing and genealogical research on her remains.

Funds can be sent online to: paypal.me/missinginmichigan or mailed to them at: Missing in Michigan Association P.O. Box 941 Union Lake, MI 48387. **Make sure to note "87 Harper Jane Doe" so they can account for the donation correctly.**

No amount is too small! Let's bring closure for Jane Doe's family, and especially her child.

Missing in Michigan

Missing in Michigan

Last edited:
That's awesome! I hope they are more successful this time around!

Hey guys! Missing in Michigan, a 501c3 non-profit that works with law enforcement is raising money to do DNA sequencing and genealogical research on her remains.

Funds can be sent online to: paypal.me/missinginmichigan or mailed to them at: Missing in Michigan Association P.O. Box 941 Union Lake, MI 48387. **Make sure to note "87 Harper Jane Doe" so they can account for the donation correctly.**

Missing in Michigan

Missing in Michigan

That's awesome! I hope they are more successful this time around!

I believe they will be extracting from bone this time, which is more expensive and there is a higher likelihood of a good extraction. Also, I think CODIS has a higher standard than what is needed to do genealogical research. So I am very hopeful about this!

Last edited:
Btw, we assume that Detroit Jane Doe has kept her baby after birth.

I often think in cases where children seem to be involved in a UID's life (like Sheep Flats Jane Doe or Yonkers Jane Doe), that there are several scenarios where mother and child are separated or estranged. A child can be adopted away, in foster care, or raised by others (like other family members or taken care of by friends), just to mention a few. Especially where a high-risk lifestyle like drug use/addiction and prostitution is involved. Not saying that DJD was involved in a similar lifestyle, but just in general.

Okay, this is what Sargeant Sarah Krebs has said: "We have to do a totally different type of DNA- so the bones will need to be resubmitted. I went and checked in on her (Jane Doe) Monday, we should have plenty of DNA left."

I feel so optimistic! Please do donate everyone if you can! Even $1 or $5 helps!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07
Back