Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
AR-180809879.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

Watch Live: News conference regarding the Mollie Tibbets search

More than 30 powerful, still photo's at link above...

These are heart wrenching! All I could think of is a brokenhearted family thrust into the spotlight with scrutiny and exposure that no family deserves. What a sweet town - totally hometown America.

Just finished watching the presser earlier today. Found it irritating and painful to watch. Purpose: limited, IMO. I did think the press asked some really good questions. They weren't given any answers (surprise), but at least they asked the right questions. MT's dad impressed me so much: what a strong and gracious man.

I need to ask: did anyone else want to hurl heavy objects at their screen when Ms. What's-Her-Face from the Iowa Missing and Endangered blah, blah, blah agency strode up to the podium and starting throwing out statistics and speaking in glittering generalities about Iowa's statewide missing persons data, or it just me?

I don't know why I had such a negative, visceral response to that presentation, aside from the fact that I was thinking to myself the whole time, "This pc is not about numbers and your useless state statistics. It is about one individual, Mollie Tibbetts, whose parents happen to be standing right behind you, lady." If I were one of her parents, it would have taken every ounce of energy in my body not to have lost it and screamed, "My daughter is not a statistic!"

A thought & a clarification:

1. The body language between Mollie’s Mom & new stepmom made me realize this awful event could be the very first time the two have met.

2. Several have wondered why Mollie attended her Dad’s recent wedding, but neither of her brothers appear to have been present. Both brothers have Mom’s last name, and we know Mollie’s parents split when she was very young. Therefore, it’s my conclusion that the brothers have a different father than Mollie does.

Ugh, you aren't clear, until you are clear by a court.
Police are allowed to lie if they believe they can get the suspect to reveal something later. I have taken some criminal justice courses in college.

No, guilt has to be proven, not innocence. I would retake your criminal justice courses.

Wow! Excellently written! And now that I rethink this, I feel that this is the most likely scenario. And when I say random, I mean more an outsider who she somewhat knew. I could definitely see this being how it played out.

BBM

I have no strong opinion about how things played out, but I think a somewhat known but not "well-known"/very close person is most likely to be involved.

Question: Is it a known fact that Mollie was walking to her mom's house in the early morning hours for work or is this just speculation? I just want to make sure. Thanks!

Hi Darmela,

This is just part of a theory I have and some others share it.

The last of Mollie's actions that we are privy to are that she sent a snapchat that night to her boyfriend and that she was doing homework on her computer.

We have not been informed of anything else since that (that I'm aware of).

And the authorities confirmed there was no evidence of a scuffle at the house (I know this doesn't mean she was taken from there).

That's true for murder cases. This is still being treating as a missing person case.

In all manners of cases, there have been convictions overturned and defamation lawsuits won due to the state using such descriptors. Indeed, from an evidentiary and liability standpoint, they treat all cases the same. They particularly would treat a missing persons case like this one just like a murder case.

JMO.

2. Several have wondered why Mollie attended her Dad’s recent wedding, but neither of her brothers appear to have been present. Both brothers have Mom’s last name, and we know Mollie’s parents split when she was very young. Therefore, it’s my conclusion that the brothers have a different father than Mollie does.

Nope, I doubt it.
Mollie's brother Scott is younger. She's in the middle.

Mystery Shrouds Disappearance Of Iowa College Student | HuffPost

Quoting linked article from the HuffPost dated 07/24:
The FBI on Monday served a search warrant at the house shared by Jack and his brother. What, if anything, was found is not yet known.

FWIW, I have been scouring the internet looking for any references to searches by LE of the bf's/bf's brother's home; so far, this is the only article I've been able to find that mentions a search of the house.

The article was published on Tuesday, 07/24 and MT went missing 07/18-07/19, so if the HuffPost is to be believed (big if IMO), then an FBI search took place on Monday, 07/23/18.
My guess is that they did this to document the site, gather evidence but most importantly to get to the laptop which they needed for the online forensic work that seems to be critical to this case.

I do not think Mollie started out on foot Thursday morning without texting someone. It seems out of character for anyone under 30 imo.

If her running things were not found then I am not sure she was on the computer later at all. Unless it has been proven she sent the pic at 10pm. But then where are her dirty clothes? LE would have searched and since they have only given out “last seen wearing” and nothing else, they must feel certain she wore them when she disappeared. Unless of course some perp decided to gather up all of her dirty jogging stuff but then surely he would miss something, headphones, etc...

Last edited:
Yes, police can lie to a suspect, but they rarely (I can't find any cases) lie to the public about clearing someone. Being "cleared" simply means that the police strongly believe that someone has no involvement in a crime.

This isn't true at all. Telling somebody that they've been cleared and are not a person of interest is a very powerful tool used by PD with people who are actually still under investigation. It prevents people from clamming up, going into hiding, lawyering up and pleading the 5th.

Well, this is where I take a break. I find from other WS cases, when they give no info I begin to just chase my tail and speculation runs wild. I will check in daily to see if "found" or "arrest" is on the header. Otherwise there is nothing new to discuss sadly. I hope her parents, family and friends continue to hold strong during this horrible ordeal, they are in my thoughts...IMHO

Question: Is it a known fact that Mollie was walking to her mom's house in the early morning hours for work or is this just speculation? I just want to make sure. Thanks!
We have no information on this issue at all unfortunately. LE mention MT being dropped off at house by brother at 530 pm, then we have the entire snapchat timing issue, and then the ongoing discussion of homework on the computer that evening sometime. Beyond this we have nothing other than conjecture.

1. The body language between Mollie’s Mom & new stepmom made me realize this awful event could be the very first time the two have met.

Wow very observant. Did not think to consider that brothers were from another relationship.

I thought Tibbetts was the father's last name? I'm pretty sure one of the brothers (Jake?) carries the Tibbetts name.

That being said, don't think the family dynamic amongst the parents has much to do with this case. JMO.

Also not sure where you're seeing they have the Calderwood last name.
Every thing I've seen shows Tibetts for the three kids, including their social media.
Mom is the only Calderwood.
If a site is showing them as Calderwood, it's incorrect.

If I'm like most people, I only check in here now every once in a while because the threads move so fast I have trouble keeping up. I read several posts, then jump ahead and hope to catch something relevant. I know if anything earth-shattering hits the news, I can google before I get on and see about 10 updates on major news sites. I just have to filter through the reposting and rewording of the titles of articles I see online to see which ones are actually new information.

Here's a thought I just had - I remember with Holly Bobo that initially there were a few early clues regarding her abduction...blood drops in the garage...a lunch bag on the side of the road...maybe her phone recovered. Anyway, I think that this is sort of an interesting situation because there are relatively few items that could be dropped during the process of being abducted by Mollie...sport bra, shorts, socks, underwear, running shoes, phone, fitbit, and a red shirt. Those are the only items we know that are missing unless I am incorrect. And now perhaps we have one of those items pending an official announcement, the red shirt. That is the one item that we would have the greatest chance of recovering because she would not necessarily have to be wearing it. The only other item would be her phone, more difficult to find due to size and color. That being said, the red shirt may be the only item we locate until she is located. My bet is that if that shirt was hers...the abductor threw it from a vehicle in route with her or upon returning from disposing of her or a remote chance that Mollie dropped it during the movement from a car to another location. Let's hope that the shirt was hers and if so LE is drawing a grid around its location to begin an intense search. She couldn't be far from there.

Another question - I assume there has been no mention of missing earbuds? If they're gone, you can bet she left on foot and was abducted in route walking to another location. My kids wear them constantly when we are driving or when jogging or walking...otherwise they are not connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aussie Aussie