CANADA - 3 dead including gunman, 12 injured in Greektown shooting, Toronto, July 2018

Is this for real?!

“Based on their past behaviour, it is possible that members of our community may be confronted and provoked by JDL members in an attempt to instigate a response,” an advisory warned residents.

The JDL called off the march hours before it was to take place. JDL leader Meir Weinstein said on Facebook it had been postponed because he had to visit a friend in hospital.

But the head of the local neighborhood association said he was concerned about the impact of conspiracy theories about the shooting coming from groups like the JDL, which has alleged a cover-up of what it calls a “terrorist attack.”

“We are worried about that because it’s really dividing people,” said Ahmed Hussein, executive director of The Neighbourhood Organization."

The Danforth shooting: anatomy of an online hate fest

According to VICE, Hussain is one of four children, described as a loner by those in the Thorncliffe Park apartment complex who were acquainted with him. It’s the kind of narrative we’ve become accustomed to with lone wolf gunmen. Only this one is more complicated. Hussain's brother has reportedly been in the hospital with a coma from a drug overdose for months. This piece in the Star suggests Hussain's brother was a drug dealer with access to guns. Hussain's sister, meanwhile, died in a car accident some years back.

But if we’re looking for people to blame for Sunday’s attack then that’s another area to explore, as is the fact that Toronto is a global city that has so far been very lucky to be spared the kind of terrorism-inspired violence we see in other cities of comparable size. There are many reasons for that, including the fact that we have historically been a welcoming country.

Not anymore. We live in polarizing times. And it's only being made more dangerous by those who insist on blaming Muslim terrorism every time a tragedy like Sunday's shooting occurs. The braying isn't helping.​

If this person was mentally ill, why not just step out his apartment and start shooting? Of course you have to deranged to shoot people, that’s not what I am getting at. This was a terrorist attack, pure and simple. The govt knows it and is covering it up. The family communications are professionally written. And I do not for one second believe the brother is in a “coma”.

From January 2018:
Toronto's reputation as a breeding ground for anti-Muslim hate just got worse

Toronto's reputation as a hotbed of anti-Muslim incitement continues to grow after a U.S. federal district court in Washington, DC formally handed down hate crimes charges against a member of the Toronto-based Jewish Defence League (JDL) last month.

Yosef Steynowitz of Thornhill, was charged with assaulting Kamal Nayfeh, a technical instructor at a North Carolina college, and graduate student Ben Doernberg with wooden poles and repeated kicks during pro-Palestinian protests at last year’s AIPAC conference in DC. Nayfeh's bloodied face required nine stiches. The assault against Doernberg caused a concussion. Rami Lubranicki, an American member of JDL, was also charged along with Steynowitz.
Meanwhile, at a City Hall rally in May to protest the federal government's anti-Islamophobia Motion M-103, members of the JDL physically attacked journalist and activist Kevin Metcalf, as Metcalf filmed the protest. In the video, JDL members can be heard telling Metcalf, "We're not around here. You're going to get killed." JDL member Max Bocknek has been charged with assault by Toronto police.

In other developments, Twitter has suspended the JDL's account and Facebook suspended the group's profile page for the second time in less than a year in November. Facebook cited its community standards provisions prohibiting "dangerous organizations" engaged in "terrorist activity, organized violence or criminal activity, mass or serial murders or organized hate groups" for its decision.

If this person was mentally ill, why not just step out his apartment and start shooting? Of course you have to deranged to shoot people, that’s not what I am getting at. This was a terrorist attack, pure and simple. The govt knows it and is covering it up. The family communications are professionally written. And I do not for one second believe the brother is in a “coma”.
People with mental illnesses often don't act in logical ways. Look how often it comes up in threads here when we're following a case involving someone with a mental illness and the person does things that don't make any sense, and it's because they're sick and normal logic does not apply. I'm not saying what applies in this case or suggesting it wasn't terrorism, just answering your question.

<modsnipped> And what reason would the family have to lie about a brother in a coma?

Last edited by a moderator:
People with mental illnesses often don't act in logical ways. Look how often it comes up in threads here when we're following a case involving someone with a mental illness and the person does things that don't make any sense, and it's because they're sick and normal logic does not apply. I'm not saying what applies in this case or suggesting it wasn't terrorism, just answering your question.

By all accounts he acted calmly and logically in the way he calmly selected his victims, and handled and discharged his weapon. Every action was logical, and well executed.

By all accounts he acted calmly and logically in the way he calmly selected his victims, and handled and discharged his weapon. Every action was logical, and well executed.
You missed my point completely.

So, do you believe that only white men can be mentally ill? And what reason would the family have to lie about a brother in a coma?

What? What does it have to do with white men? Or Muslim men? I never referenced either. Terrorists come in all colours, religions, and sexes. He was a terrorist, and I don’t feel empathy for him, sorry.

And for the record, I don’t believe anything that the family’s spin doctor and pr representative puts out there. I believe the brother is being held in protective custody, pending testimony into an inquiry as to who assisted him and his brother in accumulating such large numbers of illegal weapons and lethal drugs. No I have no proof, just an educated guess

What? What does it have to do with white men? Or Muslim men? I never referenced either. Terrorists come in all colours, religions, and sexes. He was a terrorist, and I don’t feel empathy for him, sorry.

And for the record, I don’t believe anything that the family’s spin doctor and pr representative puts out there. I believe the brother is being held in protective custody, pending testimony into an inquiry as to who assisted him and his brother in accumulating such large numbers of illegal weapons and lethal drugs. No I have no proof, just an educated guess
You also have no idea whether or not he has a mental illness.

Nope. He didn’t shoot people he knew, neighbours, friends in his apartment building or neighbourhood. He thought out his actions, and where he would kill people
You asked "If this person was mentally ill, why not just step out his apartment and start shooting?" I explained it as plainly as I could so you would understand. Then you wanted to argue about it. Your question, my answer. There's nothing more to say.

You asked "If this person was mentally ill, why not just step out his apartment and start shooting?" I explained it as plainly as I could so you would understand. Then you wanted to argue about it. Your question, my answer. There's nothing more to say.

Stating a position or an opinion is “arguing?” Wow. Ok.

Reactions: JDG
Wonder how Taste of the Danforth will go this weekend?
Crowds or not crowds? Will people hang around for the entertainment?
Numbers up or down from previous year?

I won't be there as I don't like crowds any more. I can go to Astoria anytime.

what appears logical to some might in fact be more related to disturbed thinking

ie

shoot that one

dont shoot that one he seems nice

shoot that one they are looking at me

shoot that one wearing red means she is after me

shoot that one is that my mom

that type of thing

In terms of execution there can often be incredible execution if they are hearing voices, responding to command hallucinations. ruminating endlessly or delusions

Holmes Batman - was mind numbing in his delusions - he was the joker and had to rig his batcave so immensely that it took the FBI three days to make it safe to enter.

Austin Harroff turned basically into a werewolf

a brain gone astray is a pretty potent entity.

Much has been learned about mental illiness since the days of insane asylum - where the notion was that only the people who are screaming to the street signs are mentally ill.

The notions of coo coo crazy and insane are very limiting

Robin Williams executed his skills for decades

Brian Wilson of the band Bread suffering with hallucinations delusions paranoia and performed for decades.

Carrie Fisher of Star Wars and prolific and brilliant writer of best sellers was hospilzed throughout her life while executing tasks considered normative

Demi Lavoto and internationally acclaimed vocalist toured and recorded approately for some time suffers greatly with her illness

Herschel Walker - professional American football players, sprinter, mixed martial artist, and Olympic bobsledder -Heisman trophy winner was a NFL superstar in the 80s and 90s. Suffered with what was then called multiple
personality and performed at astounding levels outlined above

Author of Harry Potter books has talked publicly about her profound suffering - she executed well

Mike Wallace the internationally acclaimed journalist has painfully recalled his mental illiness and executed perfectly

Oprah has been very public about her problems and executes fine

Mental illness does not generally result in people talking to clouds -- millions of very successful individuals who execute on many levels do so - does not IMO eradicate their suffering.

https://healthypsych.com/21-highly-successful-inspiring-people-with-mental-health-challenges/

Last edited:

IMO it would be someone of a stretch to say that a bunch of neighbors or people who knew him maintained this lie ( that he was in coma) for a year,

How would they be able to do this ? Anticipate anyone who talks to people?

lots of folks who knew the family reported the deaths and coma that would be pretty hard to pull off

IMO the canadian govt is far more sane that ours!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back