Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think she left willingly or was abducted? Do you know if the person is missing?

Well, there is no way to know for sure. This is the kind of mystery that captivates an audience, and maybe why this case is getting so much attention here, and everywhere. Many of us here have had experiences with the darker side, and that’s why we are here, interested and caring on how this case unfolds.

I also kind of feel like it might have involved more than one person lurking about. The more involved, the more talking. Only wish immunity could be added in addition to the reward, but understand the legalities behind that. The investigators need to locate only one to steer this case. IMO

I can see it this way, but also that her mom was speaking out of sentiment. I talk with my kids about their futures in this manner. One of those, or she was appealing to a parent with a daughter, in case they might know something.
Or possibly she is hoping for the best, and the best in her mind might be her daughter might have run off because she was pregnant. She might then want to give her the message that it's alright.

"Mollie's case reminds me in many ways of Michael Klunder's MO in that he kidnapped women, sexually abused them and ultimately killed and disposed of them in hog confinement facilities."

Sorry-- O/T here: But where did this MO come? Did I miss something? The charge from when he was 16 had nothing to do with hog confinements. And I am mere miles from Dayton and the poor girl he took there was found in the river. The only time the hog confinements came into play was that's where he committed his crime and where he ended his life. So unless I'm missing a big piece of the puzzle, I'm a little confused?

Also... Its my understanding that WC Hog confinement is empty. There are no pigs there. Haven't been for a while.

Your post just amped my curiosity about recent releases from prison?

What was different on Wednesday night in Brooklyn IA from any other Wednesday night?

I run/walk with a big dog without headphones and cringe when I see people running on roads/wearing them. Accident waiting to happen because vehicle noises are blocked and music reduces awareness of surroundings.

I wear bone conduction headphones. I hear my music in stereo without losing all of the surrounding noise in my environment. Win win.

I used to run with a big dog and it takes lots of patience and doesn't do much for your stress relief unless you have been training them for while. It's great once you get them trained though. I don't run with my dog. She is elderly and has a heart murmur. I do carry pepper spray.

I do run on some isolated roads and trails. I mentioned upthread about the Road ID app that I use for my safety. I also have a routine text that I personally send to my husband when I get safely home. The text is always very similar and contains my running stats for that day so that he knows I sent it and no one else could know my stats but me. I guess I have been a member here way too long.

I think as runner in a small town I feel that Mollie had such a routine around her daily run that it never occurred to her that anything would ever happen to her.

Sorry if already mentioned, but I'm pretty sure they did that in Jessica Chamber's murder.

The woman who was found burned in the middle of a road?

Answering a Question with a Question: What evidence do we have that she returned from her jog?
Two things might indicate that she returned: 1. She sent her boyfriend a Snapchat that he opened at 10. He said he thought it was taken indoors. 2. Some reports stated that she did homework in the "evening" and some said "late in the evening". To my way of thinking, her missing jogging attire, phone, armband for phone, Fitbit, and earbuds more strongly suggest that she was abducted while running.

I run/walk with a big dog without headphones and cringe when I see people running on roads/wearing them. Accident waiting to happen because vehicle noises are blocked and music reduces awareness of surroundings.

After this case, when I see a lone girl running, not paying attention, I want to say “run in groups, or at the gym!”

Because the person I suspect took Mollie would be familiar with, comfortable with, and raise no eyebrows by being in that area, in or out of a motor vehicle, at most times of the day and even the night sometimes. This person is my own researched hunch and odds are great that I am wrong..... I hope this all ends soon for Mollie's folks.

cody22, You could be right or wrong on the specific person, but your profile could be spot on.

What was different on Wednesday night in Brooklyn IA from any other Wednesday night?

MOO but what was different was that Mollie was out later than usual maybe even in the dark because she had had a homework assignment that forced her to walk to mom's house in the dusk/dark..someone had been watching her for a while I'm guessing and this was the perfect opportunity.

I'm sure it's been mentioned. But if mom was asked if Mollie was in a house at 945, and Dalton opened a snap at 10, did Mollie send the snap at 945? I can't imagine much time would have passed between her sending it and him opening it.

I don't believe she took her own life, is/was pregnant, or is in the custody of someone she knows, or was acquainted with, who was crushing on her and now doesn't know what to do. I don't believe that she encountered a person in distress and reached out, and the tables turned on her and became violent. And I don't believe she had a secret life or hidden deep depression that no one knew about. I've read her Twitter and it's unremarkable in my opinion. Her interactions with others on her social media appears routine and typical to me.

I don't buy into her psych interests or studies or her references to mental health issues/suicide on her Twitter as having anything to do with her own frame of mind. I'm a heavy Twitter user and see a lot of prevention culture's memes and hashtags retweeted and repeated on other people's feeds, and this increases dramatically every time there is a celebrity suicide or a heavily reported child suicide. Nothing she tweeted is alarming or indicative of suicidal ideation, from where I'm sitting. Discussion of "mental health" on social media is also very common because it's a trending topic in our society.

So, sadly, her absence appears to be the result of a crime against her, and while I'd like to be entirely wrong, I believe she's deceased and think she was killed by an opportunist perpetrator/predator somewhere on the jog or some other lone activity that evening that we can't see into.

I also think the FBI presence only indicates (at the very least) LE's belief that she was taken against her will. We had a similar case in my city where a woman disappeared from her office while working late (although there was evidence in the office that someone else had been there) and the FBI was quickly involved. Also, as far as who has jurisdiction and control, recall that in the Delphi case, local LE stated clearly that the investigation was still under its control, and FBI was contributing specialized resources to assist local/county/state agencies.

I've heard so many stories and reports of the timeline and who saw her when and where, I don't really have a clear picture of the geography/distance she might have traveled and where a likely abduction point would be, or what time. But as I understand it, she was known to be alive and walking at 7:30 p.m. on the 18th, and there is apparently a statement by her family that LE knows she was doing homework from the BF's house even later? Someone help me out with that last part.

Also, does it make sense that she was going for dinner as late as 8:30-9:00 or so? And has the mother given any info on a timeline provided by Mollie as to when she expected to arrive for dinner? Not questioning the mother's story, just can't keep up with everything the family has said, and whether or not Mom even had a sense of an arrival time. Sometimes "dinner" doesn't mean sitting down at a particular time, it means 'cooking brats tonight, come on over when you're free, see you then'. Thanks for any clarification!
I agree with everything you say. The last paragraph is where I get tripped up. I question ... did the neighbor truly see MT running by at 7:30pm. Could the neighbor be mistaken as to seeing her, or what time it really was. If her mom talked to MT at 7:45pm or whatever time, then everything after 7:45pm is up in the air for me, unless LE has sure evidence of MT being on her computer at a clear time (or cell, Fibit info for evening). If so, then everything after that time is up in the air. Depends. I feel she was taken by a stranger and is likely deceased. At what time that was, and where, I don’t know. Sounds like not taken from DJ house. So outside.

I don't take a mother saying that she wants to meet her grandchildren to mean anything other than that she hopes her child finds happiness and a life with someone and perhaps will one day have his/her own child. I think any loving parent would love to be around long enough to see that. I know I had only half-teasingly told my son that he should not be a player his whole life, because I would like to see my grandchild before I died of old age. Oh, and at the age of 61, I finally got to! BTW, I believe that Mollie had her priorities in life in order and would have taken any necessary precautions to make a pregnancy very highly unlikely. JMO
I have been talking about grandchildren with

Her Mother reaffirmed the Fitbit, earbuds, phone, and running clothes were not found. This was aired today 8/8/18.

Not from Brooklyn, but the only thing I can think of was that RAGBRAI was going by in like 8 days.

If you have not seen RAGBRAI, it is a wonder of the world. There are thousands of people. 10,000 official riders, and many many more unofficial riders. Plus all their support people. There are incredible parties. I cannot imagine the amount the amount of booze and refer consumed.

And when the riders go by they are 5-6 deep as far as you can see (at least it seems to me). You DO NOT drive or walk or even look at them. The riders do not stop. They will run you over.

People from all over the world come to this torture, I mean bike ride. But it did not go thru the area until 7-8 days after that Wednesday.

I'm trying to not have confirmation bias where I make the clues fit my scenario. It's hard.

Fox News had a audio of Mollie's best friend saying that every morning Mollie snapped her a quote of the day. That morning she didn't get one.

We all have confirmation bias. I know I do. We just need to be mindful of our tendencies and to stay alert to the risks of "marrying" a single theory before we have a solid basis for committing ourselves to it.

I saw at least three different women as plaintiffs or mention in the cases/charges against WC. None of whom were his ex wife - who is not JJ, btw. It's possible they are all exes, but still concerning in terms of there being an ongoing pattern of behavior.

As a general plea, can we please try to be careful and avoid accusing victims of WC of being opportunistic fame-seekers or money-grubbers? JMO, but it comes across as victim blaming, this is a victim friendly site and the woman who was interviewed, and her daughter should be viewed as victims. It's corroborated in public court documents.

WC pled guilty to some of the charges and was convicted. Protection orders and no contact orders were granted against him many times. There's a pattern of behavior here against multiple women which is troubling. It's not just one, that needs to be emphasized. Harassment in the 1st degree involves threatening to commit a felony against the person, by the way.

It's disturbing to me that people (not just here but everywhere) seem to be downplaying stalking, harassment and violating no contact orders. Downplaying domestic abuse allegations. Obviously having been a survivor of DA myself(and being stalked by a SO after having left the country where the DA resided), my personal experiences are going to make this a very hot issue for me. I have a bias, but I am going to share my perspective anyway in the hopes of helping others to understand why I am disturbed by the train of thought I mentioned above.

I had to flee a country to escape my abusive ex and he still tried to make contact, made inquiries which got back to me which indicated he might attempt to enter the country that I had fled to (due to knowledge of some future plans I had told him prior to the abuse). I've had panic attacks decades years later when I thought I glimpsed his face in a crowd, even though logically I know it couldn't have been him. The trauma and stress may lessen over time, but it doesn't take much to set off those same feelings of being terrified for my privacy, my safety and, at times, even my life. It is difficult to articulate what it feels like to live with that kind of ongoing fear. It can be paralyzing.

All I ask is for people to pause before accusing confirmed or even alleged victims of DA and other personal crimes as being attention seekers looking for a pay out.

There's still a massive stigma surrounding the reportage of domestic abuse, stalking/harassment and sexual assault. Far too often victims are accused of being crazy, hysterical, vindictive liars, willing participants or having provoked the criminal acts in some way. Is it any wonder so few women report crimes against their person when they often are the ones who get their reputations dragged through the mud even more than the accused? It takes a lot of courage and fortitude to make formal complaints to the police and even stick it out through the court process.

So, please, please can we be mindful of this and err on the side of sensitivity when discussing victims?

You're right and I'm so sorry. Sometimes we get tunnel vision and forget that there are these horrific tragedies like yours and by being so flippant we're reopening a wound. For my part, please accept my apologies and know that in no way did I intend for my flippancy to translate to you personally. But thank you for putting your heart out here for us to see and remind us that these people are all humans. It can't be comfortable to rehash this with strangers so know that I heard you and I agree.

I'm sure it's been mentioned. But if mom was asked if Mollie was in a house at 945, and Dalton opened a snap at 10, did Mollie send the snap at 945? I can't imagine much time would have passed between her sending it and him opening it.

That is an oddity that has not been successfully explained.

MOO but I think Mollie sent that snap between 8 and 9:30 pm... Dalton said he opened it at 10. He'd had a long day working outside and my guess is he fell asleep at some point and looked at it when he woke up.

The Fox drone footage was definately strange in that it took off in the opposite direction down her street vs how she was usually seen running. Then the Fox drone turned around and returned to pass BF house if I recall. It was a very strange piece of footage so I wonder if the person was just learning how to fly a drone? If you go and do what others here have done which is use google to 'jog' her typical route then its much easier to get a sense of her route and what was passed at each step of the journey. I also think we have had comments about how she was a creature of habit and had 3 routes she liked to take and it seemed she also didn't like running in/around corn fields and stayed mainly in town.
The drone footage, IMO, was for dramatic purposes only. Also, can you record using a drone within town limits? In our area, you have to get permission by the city/tsa(?) due to aerial safety concerns. Maybe they had no choice but to go in that direction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member