Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many of us here who think MT's disappearance is a result of foul play believe the perp is a local, say, somebody who lives within a 25-mile radius? (Raises hand).

Yes, but not immediately local to Brooklyn (although may work in Brooklyn). Lives 5-25 miles away, probably closer than 25 though.

ETA for clarity meant to say probably quite a bit closer than 25--probably 5-15mi, no further than 25

Last edited:
Dear PommyMommy,

Many thanks to you and @Otto for compiling this list! Excellent!

I would add 3 things that stand out for me:

. This was the second night that Mollie was all alone in the house
. There were no vehicles in the driveway (as there usually would be)
. Mollie's driver's license was at the house (wouldn't she need it to drive back from her Mom's?)

• Mollie's jogging clothing and devices are missing
  • she has about 3 different routes and likes to mix them up
  • the dogs were in the basement
  • Dalton said the door was probably unlocked
  • she was seen running East on Pershing towards the Funeral Home
  • she was seen at the Funeral Home
  • she typically picks up the car at her mom's house before dark
  • she went for a run at 7:30
  • she usually runs for 45 minutes
  • LE reconstructed her run, relying on Fitbit data, cell phone pings and eyewitnesses
  • a digital signal led police to the Guernsey farm area
  • video was collected from various businesses
  • Mollie's mom was asked by FBI if Mollie was "in a home" at 9:45
  • she may have done homework (time unknown & unconfirmed)
  • Snapchat appeared to be indoors & taken that day, viewed at 10PM
  • Mollie was a creature of habit
  • Dalton sent her a text in the morning and she did not respond

Last edited:
Dear PommyMommy,

Many thanks to you and Otto for compiling this list! Excellent!

. Mollie's driver's license was at the house (wouldn't she need it to drive back from her Mom's?)
Mollie's father said today there were no signs of forced entry at the house where resided.

I don't take a mother saying that she wants to meet her grandchildren to mean anything other than that she hopes her child finds happiness and a life with someone and perhaps will one day have his/her own child. I think any loving parent would love to be around long enough to see that. I know I had only half-teasingly told my son that he should not be a player his whole life, because I would like to see my grandchild before I died of old age. Oh, and at the age of 61, I finally got to! BTW, I believe that Mollie had her priorities in life in order and would have taken any necessary precautions to make a pregnancy very highly unlikely. JMO
Completely Agree. My oldest teenage son sometimes babysits his younger siblings (10-12 yrs younger) and he has joked (I hope!) That I'm slowly ruining my chances of him making me a grandma. I tell him that's great and I will increase the babysitting to ensure no babies for another 10 years but after that I hope that he will find love, marriage, and children IF he and his partner decide. I think it is a very natural desire and emphasizes hope for happiness in the future, which is at the root. JMO.

I hate to say what my speculated theory is, because that puts things in a bad place. I have not seen it mentioned in any of the threads, so if someone has mentioned this I apologize. I am hoping to state this within terms of service. Someone please let me know if I go off them.

<modsnipped-comments on facebook pages are not allowed to be discussed>

I don't know if there are links, or if those things are still on there because I'd rather not see them again and look. It's kind of why I signed up here in the first place, since trolls are weeded out. Very nice atmosphere on this site, and I am glad so many lost people are still being looked for and cared about. But someone please tell me if this idea has already been floated around.

I have not seen anything that relates to cyber-bullying released. I am more concerned about all the free access to all these young person's locations, forwarding of photos, position locators, telling when your boyfriend is gone, and opportunity to meet people that you really do not know well. Just praying...

Two people (that I know of) have reported being told by investigators that Mollie may have returned home and done homework on her computer. It's possible this disclosure to them was made early on, before the FBI took over the investigation.

Jake Tibbetts:
New details emerge in case of missing University of Iowa student

Dave Collum:
Investigators still baffled by disappearance of Iowa student

Mollie's mother may have said something similar but I can't find an attributed quote. KCCI seems to have been the originator of this new info, as of 07/28.

I have not seen anything that relates to cyber-bullying released. I am more concerned about all the free access to all these young person's locations, forwarding of photos, position locators, telling when your boyfriend is gone, and opportunity to meet people that you really do not know well. Just praying...
Well I am just thinking of "mean girls", those are in every community. And it amazes me when people just say that mean comments or snarkiness is "just trolls", because I am pretty sure some of those people who post evil like that are truly messed up. Some are just immature kids, but some could be really bad people.

Hmmm, could the thief/thieves have decided to try the bf's house since there were no cars there -- "no one home" -- and then came upon Mollie, panicked, knocked her out/strangled her and then hid her body somewhere? If the thief was on probation (no ref. to WC whatsoever), there would be good reason to panic.
Sounds like the Tara Grinsread case robbery killed her hid her body..

Dear PommyMommy,

Mollie's mom lives a mile away from Dalton's house, about the same distance from my house to my mailbox. Many times I have driven to my mailbox without my wallet and my license..on a rural road only a mile away when you want to finish your jog and not have to carry a wallet... I can absolutely imagine her not bringing her license with her.

I completely agree! I am so happy to have him. I love my dog! I read a study somewhere that when career burglars were asked what type of home security they feared most, they always said... dogs.[/

Amazing how quick dogs learn the routine once they start running with their person. I love taking mine because they get so excited and are such good company; an added benefit is feeling safer and more confident. My team is a German Shepherd and a Chihuahua both of whom are rescues. Chihuahua can match us step for step.

Mollie's father said today there were no signs of forced entry at the house where resided.

Dear Stippling,

Excellent!

Also, no signs of struggle at the house

Excerpt from news article (below):

"Speculation that Tibbetts could not have been abducted by a stranger is misguided, said Mitch Mortvedt, a spokesman for the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation."

One avenue of thought is that if it wasn’t a struggle, and we have found no signs of a struggle, then maybe it was someone she was familiar with,” Mortvedt told PEOPLE. “But then the other avenue of thought is it could have been a stranger who simply overpowered her or tricked her. We just have very little to go on.”

Mystery Without End: Everything We Know About Missing College Student Mollie Tibbetts

But why would there be forced entry? Didn’t Dalton say they never locked the doors never has been a reason to do so. Perp could walk right in through the front door. I think she was abducted on her jog and was a bump and grab. It could have happened so quickly before she realized what was transpiring.

Dear PommyMommy,

But there's a sticky point there for me, we don't know that she was alone for a second night or if it was the first night. I can't find any article that mentions when Allie and Blake left. Did they leave on the 17th or did Allie leave for her job in Ames on the 18th and Blake went that night to be with her. Allie didn't have a home in Ames, this was her house, so I could see them spending one night away together, but two? So when they left kind of impacts what I think happened. If they left on the 17th could someone have seen what looked to be a vacant home and thought they could rob it? Or did someone know she was alone at the house because she talked about it at work the day before? I don't know, but it makes a difference for me in how plausible it is that she was taken from the house rather than while on a run.

Two people (that I know of) have reported being told by investigators that Mollie may have returned home and done homework on her computer. It's possible this disclosure to them was made early on, before the FBI took over the investigation.

Jake Tibbetts:
New details emerge in case of missing University of Iowa student

Dave Collum:
Investigators still baffled by disappearance of Iowa student

Mollie's mother may have said something similar but I can't find an attributed quote. KCCI seems to have been the originator of this new info, as of 07/28.

Like Zoriah suggests, I would not take the report from the neighbor as official confirmation from LE that she returned home. Investigators are trained to get information out of people and they may say things they are still investigating while interviewing witnesses. Here's an example: the neighbor says he thinks he saw a woman running outside at 9pm. The investigator responds, "Are you sure it wasn't earlier? Other people saw her earlier and we thought she was home by then." The neighbor then thinks for any reference points - oh well Wheel of Fortune was on so you're right, maybe it was closer to 7:30.

LE is normally not going to sit down with a potential witness and spell out all of the information they have. They are doing these interviews to gain more information, not give it. Also, they will usually tell a witness to please not discuss what questions were asked with anyone else or what was discussed to avoid influencing the investigation or influencing what someone else recalled or saw. That type of request is standard.

I mentioned this several threads back but worthy of re-post:

I believe LE initial impression that Mollie was doing homework late in the evening was based on incomplete analysis or misunderstood forensic digital time stamp of probably both her computer, and the University server she logged into. The Epoch, Unix, UTC, etc. encoding of digital analysis is beyond the scope of this post, but clearly it's complicated, and not usually reported in "real time." Nearly every trial today includes a mobile phone or internet analyst discussing the towers, pings, texts, etc. where you will often hear them explain to add/subtract hours from their report to adjust to local "real time." In other words, the forensic tools try to use a "universal time stamp," followed by adjustment to report the local timezone. Accordingly, I believe Mollie worked on homework earlier than LE reported to her brother, and witness (unconfirmed by LE).

I think Mollie arrived BF house at 5:30p, dealt with Dogs, and worked on homework between 5:30p - 7:00p ish, and left for her jog -- intending to stop at Mum's for brat and collect the car. I think Mollie disappeared before reaching her Mum's, and did not ever return to BF house. MOO..

Late Edit to add: I find it highly suspect that if Mollie was at BF house in late evening, that she made no family contact, and engaged in no social media, other than the single SC to BF, that we know of. So out of character ....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member