Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned this several threads back but worthy of re-post:

I believe LE initial impression that Mollie was doing homework late in the evening was based on incomplete analysis or misunderstood forensic digital time stamp of probably both her computer, and the University server she logged into. The Epoch, Unix, UTC, etc. encoding of digital analysis is beyond the scope of this post, but clearly it's complicated, and not usually reported in "real time." Nearly every trial today includes a mobile phone or internet analyst discussing the towers, pings, texts, etc. where you will often hear them explain to add/subtract hours from their report to adjust to local "real time." In other words, the forensic tools try to use a "universal time stamp," followed by adjustment to report the local timezone. Accordingly, I believe Mollie worked on homework earlier than LE reported to her brother, and witness (unconfirmed by LE).

I think Mollie arrived BF house at 5:30p, dealt with Dogs, and worked on homework between 5:30p - 7:00p ish, and left for her jog -- intending to stop at Mum's for brat and collect the car. I think Mollie disappeared before reaching her Mum's, and did not ever return to BF house. MOO..

Seattle, can I just say how much I appreciate the presence of tech-savvy people like yourself, PaulR, and others who have taken the time to explain in layman's terms all of the digital info that's being discussed on this thread? Thank you. I think the electronic evidence is going to ultimately prove critical to both the solving of MT's disappearance and the successful prosecution of the perpetrator, if it ends up being due to foul play.

I have no solid facts that I feel comfortable in believing. So many of the statements given to the press by LE, family, and friends seem to conflict with one another that I have no confidence in any of them. I can fully understand why LE is cautiously keeping their secrets, I can understand why family would proclaim their hopeful opinions, and I can even understand the theories of all my fellow WSers. Not that I agree with all ~ but I understand.
But for me, I am cautious as each genuinely concerned circle contradicts one another (and even themselves) with the hand-picked facts that seem to endorse their most current, favorite position. All we seem to have at this point is shifting sand ~ and I'm praying we will have a more solid base to build on when we hear LE's PC on Friday.
Love all the various positions but really wince when I read anything with a connotation of even modest judgements of Mollie's use of social media (or that of her generation). Please reread your input using the eyes of Mollie's family before you hit the "post" button. They're already in enough pain without hearing any critical comments (or how well our families avoid any dangers on SM).
Lol, ready for the tomatoes! XOXO​

Yes, but they would have to analyze pings from 100,000 different cell phones and then start contacting those who could be pinpointed to that area, which would probably be a lot. Theoretically it should work, but again I can't find any case of it being successful.

I wish in this sci-fi, high-tech world, they could pinpoint which phones were closest physically to another phone at a certain time. I mean, like which five phone numbers are closest to my phone at this moment. But it is just a wish...though it sure would help here. Jmo

Whoops, did not mean to hit “reply to”...

Hi Mom24,

I saw it in the Heavy.com article in the media section that Allie and Blake left on the Monday, July 16.

Mollie Tibbetts Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

“Please help us bring Mollie home. Any and all information is useful! Please share and let’s see how far we can reach out,” Allie Houghton wrote on Facebook. They had been out of town since Monday, July 16.
Thank you. Then that does change my thought pattern. If someone was breaking and entering in the area, they may have noticed the home and been inside when she returned from her run. Or it would have given someone amply opportunity to be in the home and prepare a situation to grab her without much attention.

A snapchat isn't like a message. You don't get an alert that you have a message, you have to open the app to see it. I sometimes get snapchats and don't see them for days because of that.
This isn't necessarily true, it all depends on your notification settings. I am notified every time I receive a snap or chat message on Snapchat.

Seattle, can I just say how much I appreciate the presence of tech-savvy people like yourself, PaulR, and others who have taken the time to explain in layman's terms all of the digital info that's being discussed on this thread? Thank you. I think the electronic evidence being discussed is going to ultimately prove critical to both the solving of MT's disappearance and the successful prosecution of the perpetrator, if it ends up being due to foul play.

Dear Ariadne's_Thread,

Thank you for this message.

I absolutely agree!

The fact that these thoughtful people generously share their time to explain how certain technologies work is greatly appreciated !!!

clipart-stop-sign-bb91.png

*the judgemental posts
*the baiting posts
*the sleuthing of non-POIs
*the personalized posts
*posts with screenshots
*posts asking if a particular person is cleared

Two things might indicate that she returned: 1. She sent her boyfriend a Snapchat that he opened at 10. He said he thought it was taken indoors. 2. Some reports stated that she did homework in the "evening" and some said "late in the evening". To my way of thinking, her missing jogging attire, phone, armband for phone, Fitbit, and earbuds more strongly suggest that she was abducted while running.
I don't think the timing of 'doing her homework' was ever completely clear either. Some here said they believed she did homework from 530-730 and then took off. Others aren't so sure. I think at this point its impossible to know but if she had alot of homework do to then she might have been doing it later in the evening and for some reason left her jogging gear on (run was only 15 min or so - another odd point) and figured she would shower later in the evening before going to bed. Arguments can be made for either scenario I think at this point.

And it's that presence that has me convinced they're not looking at an acquaintence-gone-wrong scenario. Yeah.
You’re absolutely right. The only time a missing person where I’m from had the FBI looking for her was when she was seen getting stabbed and forced into her car. No one knew who did it. To be honest, we still don’t.

Scott Hawkins described the town where he grew up as a normally safe neighborhood where everyone knows everyone.

“This is a close knit community. We don’t have a lot of big things happen here crime wise. … I mean, this is something that’s shaken the community basically to its core,” he told Fox News in an interview.

Hawkins said that members of the community “are on edge,” and that the disappearance of Tibbetts, 20, is something that affects them personally.

“Any child in this community is basically a child of the entire community. We all stick together, we’re all part of, you know, one big group of people that knows everybody. So for somebody to go missing like this, and disappear off the face of the Earth with no trace, basically, this is a shock. This is something that, it’s made a lot of people really uncomfortable.”

Mollie Tibbetts' disappearance shook Iowa town 'to its core,' community watch organizer says

I have no solid facts that I feel comfortable in believing. So many of the statements given to the press by LE, family, and friends seem to conflict with one another that I have no confidence in any of them. I can fully understand why LE is cautiously keeping their secrets, I can understand why family would proclaim their hopeful opinions, and I can even understand the theories of all my fellow WSers. Not that I agree with all ~ but I understand.
But for me, I am cautious as each genuinely concerned circle contradicts one another (and even themselves) with the hand-picked facts that seem to endorse their most current, favorite position. All we seem to have at this point is shifting sand ~ and I'm praying we will have a more solid base to build on when we hear LE's PC on Friday.
Love all the various positions but really wince when I read anything with a connotation of even modest judgements of Mollie's use of social media (or that of her generation). Please reread your input using the eyes of Mollie's family before you hit the "post" button. They're already in enough pain without hearing any critical comments (or how well our families avoid any dangers on SM).
Lol, ready for the tomatoes! XOXO​
That's the thing, though. That generation is so obviously using media that parents and older people don't know about. I constantly worry about my niece, she is already able to use social media, video sites, and there are some really awful things right out in the regular internet they are now exposed to. People watch Youtube videos of other people being hurt including children, on a regular basis. It's beyond America's Funniest Home Videos, just try typing in "Vines" on Youtube. I saw 5 minutes of one compilation and had to turn it off. And there are hours and hours of it with millions of views. There is a general "mean-spiritedness" online in a lot of places, and the fact that we "don't want to go there" as older people shows how it's gone on unchecked. I don't believe in censorship, but there is definitely a dark side to social media and I seriously hope none of it had anything to do with this case. On the other hand, I am genuinely upset by all of the theories of some stranger just grabbing her randomly. Neither outcome is preferred, I would like to see her appear on the news and be fine and home.

Dear PommyMommy,

Many thanks to you and @Otto for compiling this list! Excellent!

I would add 3 things that stand out for me:

. This was the second night that Mollie was all alone in the house
. There were no vehicles in the driveway (as there usually would be)
. Mollie's driver's license was at the house (wouldn't she need it to drive back from her Mom's?)

I really can't take credit! Thank you for your contributions. :)

WHAT WE KNOW
  • Mollie's jogging clothing and devices are missing
  • she has about 3 different routes and likes to mix them up
  • the dogs were in the basement
  • Dalton said the door was probably unlocked
  • she was seen running East on Pershing towards the Funeral Home
  • she was seen at the Funeral Home
  • she typically picks up the car at her mom's house before dark
  • she went for a run at 7:30
  • she usually runs for 45 minutes
  • LE reconstructed her run, relying on Fitbit data, cell phone pings and eyewitnesses
  • a digital signal led police to the Guernsey farm area
  • video was collected from various businesses
  • Mollie's mom was asked by FBI if Mollie was "in a home" at 9:45
  • she may have done homework (time unknown & unconfirmed)
  • Snapchat appeared to be indoors & taken that day, viewed at 10PM
  • Mollie was a creature of habit
  • Dalton sent her a text in the morning and she did not respond
  • This was the second night that Mollie was alone in the house
  • There were no vehicles in the driveway (as there usually would be)
  • Her driver's license and debit card were at the house
  • Usual evening routine: run, shower/eat or eat/shower, homework, bed
  • No signs of a struggle or forced entry
Thank you for the last one @Stippling.

The drone footage, IMO, was for dramatic purposes only. Also, can you record using a drone within town limits? In our area, you have to get permission by the city/tsa(?) due to aerial safety concerns. Maybe they had no choice but to go in that direction.
Agree. More and more towns are limiting where drones can fly. It was strange footage for sure!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. Then that does change my thought pattern. If someone was breaking and entering in the area, they may have noticed the home and been inside when she returned from her run. Or it would have given someone amply opportunity to be in the home and prepare a situation to grab her without much attention.

Dear Mom24,

I agree that it does open up a few more possibilities.

What is your opinion on the approximate time the authorities deem the laptop was used for homework? Most of the statements from the authorities use the word "evening". To me, evening can be as early as 7pm. Some quotes in news articles state "night".

I enjoy reading your posts and I wondered about your thoughts on "evening", "night".

Thanks in advance,

Two people (that I know of) have reported being told by investigators that Mollie may have returned home and done homework on her computer. It's possible this disclosure to them was made early on, before the FBI took over the investigation.

Jake Tibbetts:
New details emerge in case of missing University of Iowa student

Dave Collum:
Investigators still baffled by disappearance of Iowa student

Mollie's mother may have said something similar but I can't find an attributed quote. KCCI seems to have been the originator of this new info, as of 07/28.

In both those links and via video in one, LE will not confirm that and in the video said there are a lot of rumors and they try to quash or confirm as they can.

I would never walk in the evening without my dog...well, I would not walk in the evening at all if not for walking my dog lol...but I doubt many serious runners would take the dog for a run. Some do, I know, as I have seen some, i.e my brother but his dog is trained to run next to him at the same pace. :). And Mollie had no reason to be afraid, if she ran around town every evening.

The thing about headphones that worries me is that you lose any bit of extra time to scream, or take off, when you do not hear danger approaching. If all of a sudden, it is upon you. Whereas maybe you would have heard a car slowing down, changing speeds, even come to a stop behind you, i.e...I can see this happening, very quickly and silently, more or less.

I agree cluciano63..the earbuds have made me wonder if she didn't hear whomever was meaning to do her harm..I wonder how loud she listened to the music?

I also agree that Mollie SHOULD OF had no reason to be afraid..but after reading some of the cases on here..I think that we should all learn to be more cautious ..because the boogeyman exists, and in my opinion we can't assume we are safe anywhere alone if we consider how many cases there are like Mollie's. Sad but true imo.

I think level of FBI involvement depends on many factors...this one has a ton of digital stuff to wade through...that alone could take several people to get it done ASAP. And here in Abq, I notice the local FBI working with APD on all sorts of cases, even early on, and Abq has far more resources that this small Iowa town, I imagine.

You’re absolutely right. The only time a missing person where I’m from had the FBI looking for her was when she was seen getting stabbed and forced into her car. No one knew who did it. To be honest, we still don’t.
Yeah. Wow. Crazy how these people get away with it. "To use the FBI's terminology, the national "clearance rate" for homicide today is 64.1 percent. Fifty years ago, it was more than 90 percent". Martin Kaste on npr.org

I mentioned this several threads back but worthy of re-post:

I believe LE initial impression that Mollie was doing homework late in the evening was based on incomplete analysis or misunderstood forensic digital time stamp of probably both her computer, and the University server she logged into. The Epoch, Unix, UTC, etc. encoding of digital analysis is beyond the scope of this post, but clearly it's complicated, and not usually reported in "real time." Nearly every trial today includes a mobile phone or internet analyst discussing the towers, pings, texts, etc. where you will often hear them explain to add/subtract hours from their report to adjust to local "real time." In other words, the forensic tools try to use a "universal time stamp," followed by adjustment to report the local timezone. Accordingly, I believe Mollie worked on homework earlier than LE reported to her brother, and witness (unconfirmed by LE).

I think Mollie arrived BF house at 5:30p, dealt with Dogs, and worked on homework between 5:30p - 7:00p ish, and left for her jog -- intending to stop at Mum's for brat and collect the car. I think Mollie disappeared before reaching her Mum's, and did not ever return to BF house. MOO..

This is what I am thinking happened too. I originally thought someone took her from the house but nothing was disturbed there and her red shirts were in her room at her mom's house so she HAD to go there to get them for next day's work. My question is, have the investigators and FBI asked the people living on that route to Mom's house if they saw her? I'm thinking some guy she knew hollered to her to get in his car for a ride there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288