GUILTY Denmark - Kim Wall, 30, Copenhagen, 10 Aug 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Extract from an article in The Local, Sweden:
When Judge Anette Burkø arrived in the courtroom, everyone stood up, following Danish court tradition, and she immediately began reading the unanimous verdict, handing down an unusually strong life-sentence while onlookers were still standing.
Most journalists had expected the sentence to come towards the end of the judge's address, when they would already be sitting down with their laptops open ready to file.
There was a sense of frustration as they struggled to find ways to communicate the news to editors and producers. Some pulled out their phones, others balanced laptops in the air.
After the verdict had been delivered Madsen's demeanour underwent a dramatic change. He appeared totally crushed and when the court was allowed to sit, he sat stock still, head bowed and eyes closed for perhaps half a minute as he absorbed it.
The forensic psychiatrist who examined Madsen had identified narcissistic traits, so perhaps he had still been holding onto a hope that the judge and two jurors would be swayed by Engmark's well-put together final arguments, which emphasised the absence of conclusive physical evidence in the case.
If he had been holding onto such a hope, it was demolished the moment Burkø began her address.
After the verdict was delivered, Madsen was led out of the court with Engmark to a back room where they could discuss their response. Minutes later they returned and Engmark announced that Madsen would appeal. By this time Madsen recovered his composure somewhat, and began again to move and look around.
Then the judge and jury left the court, after which Madsen was led away by a police officer, followed by Engmark.
After the trial was over, several members of Wall's family shook hands with one another, perhaps less out of celebration than a sense of completion.

I cannot say I am displeased that PM was/is rattled by the sentence.

It goes to show how delusional the man is. He really believed the judges would buy into his lies.

Sadly, there is no completion for the Wall family because of PM´s appeal. They will have to go through the whole thing one more time - and then he will appeal to High Court, so probably also a third time.
It will be years of agony for them.
They have been so incredible throughout the whole thing and shown nothing but the utmost composure and dignity.
Kim Wall can be very proud of her lovely parents. Lots of thoughts to them.

Yeah, I also considered using sad, but that does not cover it either,
.What he said is more superficial than that.

I just happened to be listening to a BBC radio 4 programme about the Bader-Meinhof Gang. A surviving member was asked at the end if he regretted what he had done in the cause. He replied hesitantly '"Regret" is not the right word. "Shame" is the right word.'

New development in the case, and very good news for Kim Wall´s family and friends.
Peter Madsen has decided not to appeal the the verdict of guilt in this case - BUT only appeal the length of the sentence.
Kim Wall´s relatives will not have to be dragged through a long trial again.

I doubt he will get far with that. The man is dangerous to the public, any sane person can see that.

New development in the case, and very good news for Kim Wall´s family and friends.
Peter Madsen has decided not to appeal the the verdict of guilt in this case - BUT only appeal the length of the sentence.
Kim Wall´s relatives will not have to be dragged through a long trial again.

I doubt he will get far with that. The man is dangerous to the public, any sane person can see that.

Yes it seems that he is finally admitting to have killed KW.

Here is a snippet from the article on TV2 - translated by me:
Peter Madsen wishes a reduced sentence in the appeal case.

The appeal case against Peter Madsen comes solely to deal with the length of the sentence and not the question of whether he has killed the Swedish journalist Kim Wall.

The Attorney General in Copenhagen writes this on Twitter. Thus, Peter Madsen accepts that he can not be acquitted for the murder.

The prosecution authority will hold on to the life sentence of Peter Madsen, while Peter Madsen will go for a shorter sentence.

Kynical and planned
On April 25, the case was terminated in Copenhagen City, where Peter Madsen was sentenced to a life sentence for killing Kim Wall in the submarine Nautilus.

A single court of law found it proved that Peter Madsen is guilty of planned murder, sexual abuse, dismembering body, and breach of the rules on safety at sea.

Judge Anette Burkø, among other things, justified the sentence with:

- That it was a cynical and planned sexually motivated assault and killing a very brutal character committed to a random woman who, by virtue of her journalistic work, had agreed to a trip to the accused's submarine.

No date yet in place
There is not yet a date for the appeal case in the Østre Landsret, as it is not clear how the appeal case will take place.

"In principle, it will be a matter of a shorter trial when it is only the punishment to be dealt with - on the other hand, the case is no longer so high priority when Peter Madsen accepts the question of guilt, says legal reporter on TV 2, Astrid Søndberg.

The prosecution authority confirms to TV 2 that they are satisfied with the verdict of the district court and is seeking a retention of the life sentence of the city court.

In addition, TV 2 has also tried in vain to get a comment from Madsen's defender, Betina Hald Engmark.

Translated by google:
https://translate.google.com/transl...n-opgiver-frifindelse-for-drabet-paa-kim-wall

That's great news! Thanks for the updates, Sata and LI.

A high court appeal case against Danish amateur engineer Peter Madsen will relate to the sentence, but not the verdict.

Madsen wants a milder sentence than the lifetime imprisonment he was given at Copenhagen City Court last month for the premeditated murder of Swedish journalist Kim Wall on board his privately-built submarine.

He is the 15th person in 10 years to receive a life sentence in Denmark.

https://www.thelocal.se/20180507/peter-madsen-guilty-verdict-will-not-be-appealed-at-high-court

The fact that the submarine builder Peter Madsen has chosen to appeal only the actual death sentence from the city court does not mean that the 47-year-old admit to have killed the Swedish journalist Kim Wall.
That says his defense attorney, Betina Hald Engmark, to DR.

- No, it certainly does not. This means that he acknowledges that the city court has now found him guilty and he must live with that because he has chosen he will not fight more. He does not have the energy, says the defender.

His lawyer says that Peter Madsen has been subject to strict rules on visits and letter control during his custody. And when the evidence of the case does not have to be submitted again, visit and letter control will be lifted.

There is no date yet when the appeal is being processed by the Østre Landsret.

https://translate.google.com/transl...forsvarer-madsen-vil-ikke-kaempe-mere/7147584

*gag*
Betina Hald Engmark just stated on the news that poor PM cannot take anymore, that is why he accepts the guilt verdict - and he also thinks about Kim Wall´s relatives (not having to be dragged through another trial.)
I call BS, he did not think it would matter one way or the other to her family that she was dismembered and dumped in the ocean.

Why do you think he accepts the verdict of guilty? Does he have some sense of reality after all?

*gag*
Betina Hald Engmark just stated on the news that poor PM cannot take anymore, that is why he accepts the guilt verdict - and he also thinks about Kim Wall´s relatives (not having to be dragged through another trial.)
I call BS, he did not think it would matter one way or the other to her family that she was dismembered and dumped in the ocean.

Why do you think he accepts the verdict of guilty? Does he have some sense of reality after all?

nah, I think that he has run out of stories for what happened. He has seen that the other stories didnt work, so he probably used 2 weeks of thinking of a new version, and decided that he couldnt think anything new up.
I also think that the lack of witnesses in his favour could have an influence on the decision.

Thanks, SATA and L_I for this 'good' (=better than the alternative) news. I don't know how it works in Denmark but I couldn't imagine what grounds he could have for appealing against conviction - just repeating what he said before wouldn't do it.
I hope the sentence will also be upheld and he can soon be forgotten.

Thanks for posting this, SATA.

The lovely picture that goes with the words of Kim's boyfriend Ole Stobbe:

20899727-saxo-photo.jpeg

For some reason I cannot see the thread about Kim Wall (or any other thread for that matter). Only thing I can see is a window where I can post reply.
I just want to say I remember her on this day, the one year anniversary of her murder.

For some reason I cannot see the thread about Kim Wall (or any other thread for that matter). Only thing I can see is a window where I can post reply.
I just want to say I remember her on this day, the one year anniversary of her murder.
I just listened to an interview with her mother on the BBC.

Her parents have a need to talk about their daughter, especially her mother. No wonder, I cannot imagine what they are going through.

They arranged a run in Kim Wall´s birth town, where her parents still live. The Danish prosecutor and the head of the police investigation went to Sweden and participated.
A nice gesture. They were both stellar in the solving and prosecuting the case. I am sure KWs parents are pleased they showed their respect today.

P.S. I can only see posts on this page, none of the previous, they are blank. What is up with that?!

Her parents have a need to talk about their daughter, especially her mother. No wonder, I cannot imagine what they are going through.

They arranged a run in Kim Wall´s birth town, where her parents still live. The Danish prosecutor and the head of the police investigation went to Sweden and participated.
A nice gesture. They were both stellar in the solving and prosecuting the case. I am sure KWs parents are pleased they showed their respect today.

P.S. I can only see posts on this page, none of the previous, they are blank. What is up with that?!
Not there for me either, maybe they did not transfer to the new site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni