Found Deceased Australia - Karen Ristevski, 47, Melbourne, Vic, 29 June 2016 - #17 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greater Than

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Karen Ristevski: Police refuse to say if they have suspects in missing person case

7563232-3x2-340x227.jpg

July 27 2016

Melbourne police refused to reveal if they had any suspects in the case of missing woman Karen Risteveski as they stepped up efforts to find her.

Detectives have set up an information caravan in her home suburb of Avondale Heights, in Melbourne's north-west and mounted police have searched parklands near her home.

Ms Ristevski has not used her mobile phone or bank accounts, or made contact with friends or family since June 29.

HUMAN REMAINS IDENTIFIED AT MOUNT MACEDON

February 21, 2017

Police can confirm the human remains found at Mount Macedon yesterday are that of missing Avondale Heights, woman Karen Ristevski.

Investigators received the results following forensic testing this afternoon.

Karen was last seen at her home address on Oakley Drive in Avondale Heights at about 10am on 29 June last year.

Her remains were located by a member of the public in bushland off Loch Road at Mount Macedon about 12.30pm yesterday.

Police conducted a line search at the scene today and are keen to speak to anyone that may have seen any suspicious activity in that area.

Missing Persons Squad detectives are appealing for anyone that may have been walking along the dirt track off Loch Road or anyone that may have seen any vehicles to contact them.

Investigators are also hoping to speak to anyone that may have been at Mount Macedon any time from June last year and took photos or any video footage in the area.

Anyone with information is urged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential crime report at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au.

Karen Ristevski: Husband Borce 'a suspect' as police issue strong message to killer

June 16, 2017

The husband of Karen Ristevski is a suspect in the ongoing homicide investigation as detectives implore her suspected killer to come forward.

“The person who has done this has a story to tell. They only get one chance to tell it. I encourage them, if they are so inclined, tell it now,” Inspector Tim Day said in an ominous message for her suspected killer today.

[...]

New CCTV is believed to show Ms Ristevski’s Mercedes-Benz SLK coupe travelling north-west along the Old-Calder Highway through Diggers Rest shortly after 11am on June 29 last year – the same day she went missing.

[...]

Insp. Day also revealed her husband Borce Ristevski “remains a suspect” in the year-long investigation, adding Mr Ristevski had not been shown the vision and was likely only viewing it today.

[...]

Mr Ristevski, 53, has vehemently denied any involvement in his wife's disappearance and murder.

Thread #13
Thread #14
Thread #15

Thread #16

Please read and make sure you understand.

Rules Etiquette & Information

Social Media - Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Time outs will be forth coming if you do not adhere to the rules, no questions asked.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
The prosecutor is claiming that both phones were turned off as Borce was driving on the Calder Freeway.

But at one point one of the phones, they dont say which one or when, pinged on a tower between Truganina and Lara.

Is that somewhere near Vasko's house? Or Borce's parent's house?

Technically, a phone near the Calder Freeway could ping on a tower that far away. but all of the closer Optus towers would have had to be filled with mobile traffic for it to do that. I think Optus should be able to tell if the other towers were filled to capacity with mobile traffic at that time.

Expert tells court Ristevski phones went off on day Karen went missing

(apologies if this has been talked about before, not sure if I have read everything that was posted while I was away)

The prosecutor is claiming that both phones were turned off as Borce was driving on the Calder Freeway.

But at one point one of the phones, they dont say which one or when, pinged on a tower between Truganina and Lara.

Is that somewhere near Vasko's house? Or Borce's parent's house?

Technically, a phone near the Calder Freeway could ping on a tower that far away. but all of the closer Optus towers would have had to be filled with mobile traffic for it to do that. I think Optus should be able to tell if the other towers were filled to capacity with mobile traffic at that time.

Expert tells court Ristevski phones went off on day Karen went missing

(apologies if this has been talked about before, not sure if I have read everything that was posted while I was away)

Vasko's home is in the middle ..alright.

Mr Hallowes acknowledged that mobile phone towers at Essendon, Keilor East and Calder Park received signals from the phones during the morning and early afternoon of June 29, 2016.

But he questioned Mr Prypoten about a number of signal connections from Mr Ristevski’s phone that appeared to cast doubt on the accuracy of the data, including pings to a base station near Geelong.

“Did police raise with you that there was a connection … that didn’t fit in with their theory about what happened?” Mr Hallowes asked.

“Yes,” the Optus technician replied.

The phones disconnected or “detached” from the network a number of times that day, meaning they were unable to be tracked for a period of at least 54 minutes.

Doubt over Ristevski mobile ‘pings’

Vasko's home is in the middle ..alright.

Mr Hallowes acknowledged that mobile phone towers at Essendon, Keilor East and Calder Park received signals from the phones during the morning and early afternoon of June 29, 2016.

But he questioned Mr Prypoten about a number of signal connections from Mr Ristevski’s phone that appeared to cast doubt on the accuracy of the data, including pings to a base station near Geelong.

“Did police raise with you that there was a connection … that didn’t fit in with their theory about what happened?” Mr Hallowes asked.

“Yes,” the Optus technician replied.

The phones disconnected or “detached” from the network a number of times that day, meaning they were unable to be tracked for a period of at least 54 minutes.

Doubt over Ristevski mobile ‘pings’

I guess we will find out at trial time whether or not Karen's phone has ever been located.

It is possible that it is now in/on the ocean floor somewhere in the Geelong vicinity.

It is possible that it was not discarded like rubbish right away - like Karen was - as the Maps and other data on her phone was first to be deleted.

It is possible that it was discarded far from Mt Macedon to try to lay some potential red herring about Karen's location.

I guess we will find out at trial time whether or not Karen's phone has ever been located.

It is possible that it is now in/on the ocean floor somewhere in the Geelong vicinity.

It is possible that it was not discarded like rubbish right away - like Karen was - as the Maps and other data on her phone was first to be deleted.

It is possible that it was discarded far from Mt Macedon to try to lay some potential red herring about Karen's location.
An idea would have been, if Vasko had taken Karen's phone to the Tullamarine Airport .... :p

I have been researching how voice calls attempts are stored and delivered.

He said Mrs Ristevski’s phone was cut off from the network at 11.40am ...
His wife’s phone never reconnected.
.... they were able to detect a call was made to Mrs Ristevski’s phone at 1.19pm.
The network recorded a “voice call attempt” at this time to her phone, which they were able to trace to the Sunbury-Diggers Rest area ...
Herald Sun - July 23, 2018

I don't believe that voice call attempts are stored against the unconnected phone's number (Karen's).
In other words, a missed call is only a missed call for the call-receiver if the phone that is being called (Karen's) is connected to the network.

I think that what must have happened is that Optus searched their records/networks for people who may have made a call to that unconnected number (Karen's number) during a given time period.
They found a call at 1:19pm made from the Sunbury area against someone else's number, to Karen's number.
They would know which phone number made that call.

imo

(I hope this makes sense ... so hard to explain)

Last edited:
2:16 Borce - I started calling her phone and there was no answer it went straight to message bank.

Found Deceased - Australia - Karen Ristevski, 47, Melbourne, Vic, 29 June 2016 - #12
(post #62 by soso, with link)

I wonder if this call ^^^ was identified on Borce's phone activity?
The voicemail would have stored on Optus' system, if a message was left.
A call would have registered on Borce's phone activity if he attempted to make a call.

Nothing was said about this in the committal hearing reports, that I have noticed.
Yet another porky pie?

.... they were able to detect a call was made to Mrs Ristevski’s phone at 1.19pm.
The network recorded a “voice call attempt” at this time to her phone, which they were able to trace to the Sunbury-Diggers Rest area ...

I don't believe that voice call attempts are stored against the unconnected phone's number (Karen's).
In other words, a missed call is only a missed call for the call-receiver if the phone that is being called (Karen's) is connected to the network.

I think that what must have happened is that Optus searched their records/networks for people who may have made a call to that unconnected number (Karen's number) during a given time period.
They found a call at 1:19pm made from the Sunbury area against someone else's number, to Karen's number.

imo

(I hope this makes sense ... so hard to explain)

It makes perfect sense, to me anyway.

I don't believe that they are stored against the unconnected phone's number. In other words, a missed call is only a missed call if the phone that is being called (Karen's) is connected to the network.

I think that what must have happened is that Optus searched their records/networks for other people who may have made a call to that unconnected number (Karen's number).
They found a call at 1:19pm made from the Sunbury area.

imo
I think they meant the 1.19pm call was made TO the Sunbury area. Meaning Karen's phone was still picked up by a phone tower in the area at that time. I think that was the last time her phone was tracked.

The rest makes sense to me!

Optus should know which phone number made that call attempt.

2:16 Borce - I started calling her phone and there was no answer it went straight to message bank.

Found Deceased - Australia - Karen Ristevski, 47, Melbourne, Vic, 29 June 2016 - #12

A call would have registered on Borce's phone activity if he attempted to make a call.

Nothing was said about this in the committal hearing reports, that I have noticed.
Yet another porky pie?
No voicemail necessary, Optus should have all his call records on database. That's how they bill customers:D

I think they meant the 1.19pm call was made TO the Sunbury area. Meaning Karen's phone was still picked up by a phone tower in the area at that time. I think that was the last time her phone was tracked.

I think the call was made from the Sunbury area.

That is my whole point. If Karen's phone was disconnected from the network earlier, and never reconnected, as per the Optus witness .... the attempted voice call could not have landed on her phone. It was not connected to the network. There was no ping activity, no signal, for it to identify Karen's number and try to connect to it.

The network would have just registered the attempted call as an attempted call made from a number in the Sunbury area, without ever connecting.

If this call was from Borce's number, it would have showed that he was likely still in the area at 1:19pm. If the call was from Vasko's number, what was he doing in that area at that time?

imo

Yet another porky pie?
I think the call was made from the Sunbury area.

That is my whole point. If Karen's phone was disconnected from the network earlier, and never reconnected, as per the Optus witness .... the attempted voice call could not have landed on her phone. It was not connected to the network. There was no ping activity, no signal, for it to identify Karen's number and try to connect to it.

The network would have just registered the attempted call as an attempted call made from a number in the Sunbury area, without ever connecting.

If this call was from Borce's number, it would have showed that he was likely still in the area at 1:19pm. If the call was from Vasko's number, what was he doing in that area at that time?

imo

I think the 1:19 pm attempted voice message was from the store employee. She then called Borce at 1:20pm. Because Karen had not turned up for her 1 pm start.

Mr Fisher said Mr Ristevski didn't call his wife's phone for almost 27 hours, from when he was at his parents' home until after 10pm the following day.

Ristevski withheld evidence he drove wife's car on the day she vanished: court

I guess that means he must have made a call from his parents home at about 7pm on the 29th.
Before that???

I think the 1:19 pm attempted voice message was from the store employee. She then called Borce at 1:20pm. Because Karen had not turned up for her 1 pm start.

Mr Fisher said Mr Ristevski didn't call his wife's phone for almost 27 hours, from when he was at his parents' home until after 10pm the following day.

I guess that means he must have made a call from his parents home at about 7pm on the 29th.
Before that???

Was it a voice message or voice call?

The Herald Sun article that I referenced said it was a voice call. In which case it couldn't have registered on Karen's number because it was not connected to the network. It had nowhere to connect, except the voicemail system if that was activated on Karen's number and the caller left a message.

If it was a voice message it would have been held and stored on the Optus servers, until it could deliver to the phone (which it obviously never could, because Karen's phone was never reconnected). In that case, there would be a record (a message) against Karen's number on the Optus servers.

Still am not seeing how the Sunbury area comes into it though. The network did not know where Karen's phone was, it wasn't connected at that time. The message would have been on a server, wherever the Optus servers are located.

Last edited:
On second thoughts, it is possible that the store employee's phone (if it was her calling) had used the Sunbury/Diggers Rest tower to try to call Karen's phone. If the tower closest to the mall was full with mobile activity, and her call utilised the Sunbury area tower as an alternative.

Then that tower would have registered the attempted call to Karen's phone.

That is the only way that I can see that tower getting that attempted call.

Last edited:
Was it a voice message or voice call?

Paraphrased
Cov Mo - detected a call was made to Karen's phone at 1.19pm.
At this time a voice message attempt was recorded by the network to her phone.
The trace was to the Diggers - Sunbury area.

Ristevski latest: Borce and Karen’s phones ‘deactivated’ on day she went missing

Last edited:
Paraphrased
Cov Mo - detected a call was made to Karen's phone at 1.19pm.
At this time a voice message attempt was recorded by the network to her phone.
The trace was to the Diggers - Sunbury area.

Ristevski latest: Borce and Karen’s phones ‘deactivated’ on day she went missing

Yes, the call attempt was traced to the Sunbury tower. Not Karen's phone being traced to the tower. Karen's phone was not on, it was deactivated, it was not registering on any tower, it was not pinging, it was unable to accept a mobile call or even 'see' one.

The caller's phone would have been using that tower. imo

The network recorded a “voice call attempt” at this time to her phone, which they were able to trace to the Sunbury-Diggers Rest area, he said.

It is possible that I am incorrect about this, but I don't think I am. I have spoken with another ex-telecomms person about this, and they think the same thing that I am saying. :)

Last edited:
Yes, the call attempt was traced to the Sunbury tower. Not Karen's phone being traced to the tower. Karen's phone was not on, it was deactivated, it was not registering on any tower, it was not pinging, it was unable to accept a mobile call or even 'see' one.

The caller's phone would have been using that tower. imo

The network recorded a “voice call attempt” at this time to her phone, which they were able to trace to the Sunbury-Diggers Rest area, he said.

It is possible that I am incorrect about this, but I don't think I am. I have spoken with another ex-telecomms person about this, and they think the same thing that I am saying. :)

I have no idea. The phones and pings totally confuse me. I trust you are correct. :)
It makes sense that they would have been able to check the store employees calls to both Karen and Borce's phones.
I wonder if she used her own phone or the stores phone?

Last edited:
I have no idea. The phones and pings totally confuse me. I trust you are correct. :)
It makes sense that they would have been able to check the store employees calls to both Karen and Borce's phones.
I wonder if she used her own phone or the stores phone?

If it was the store employee that tried to contact Karen's phone at that time, she would have been using a mobile phone if it utilised the Sunbury tower to make the call. The mobile could have been her own, or the store's phone ... a person I know has a mobile phone for his cafe's phone.

He gets a better deal on calls and does not pay monthly service and equipment charges when having a mobile phone for his cafe's phone.

Sorry I missed the line from your quote:

If the Optus guy did say that, I think you are right. The 1.19pm call was meant to be the caller registering on the Sunbury phone tower, not Karen's phone.

But then the next question.. Why brought this up at the hearing? Many call attempts must have been made to her phone in hours and days afterwards. What is the significance of this one? If it was from Borce or one of his family, why not disclose the fact?

Before that???
BR made a call to Karen's mobile 29/6/2016 at 7.17pm, 27 hrs later he called again on 30/6/2016 at 10.03pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member