Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is it that there are so many pictures of this guy yet no one knows his real name?

It's a sad story. The guy looks so gentle. I hope he told friends or family when he expected to be back. With no communication like a phone, they don't expect him to make contact, at least not on a regular basis. It could take a while before people realize that something is wrong and report him missing. Let's hope the SM attention is helpful in identifying him.

I saw some MostlyHarmless user posts on a for survival equipment.
...and a pot. - ETS Forums

Going to make a login to see more on the user profile ( last posting, etc)

Location of Mostly Harmless in 2009 was Norway.

MostlyHarmless
offline.gif

Old Hand

Loc: Norway

Agreed. Something off with earlobes too I think.

Yes, about the earlobes....the ears in general. Although it's hard to tell "clear cut", our UID is seen with a beard and cap that cover his ears, I think he has ears close to his head, with attached earlobes...but that is just a guess.

Location of Mostly Harmless in 2009 was Norway.

MostlyHarmless
offline.gif

Old Hand

Loc: Norway

Probably he is indeed communicating from Norway, but we can't rule out a possible use of a VPN connection..then you can show up from anywhere.

If that is him, he looks to have been a healthy weight at the time those photos were taken. If he was terminally ill that would have shown up at autopsy, and given his age range I'd suggest cancer if he was nearer 50 and maybe something like HIV or leukaemia if he was nearer the lower end of the range.

I wonder how long it would take for someone to go from a healthy weight to approaching skeletal, whether due to terminal illness or starvation.
If you recall Into the Wild, Chris McCandless survived just over 3 months in Alaska, he started with a 10 lb bag of rice, and was able to shoot squirrels and such, but weighed 67 lbs when he died. There's some controversy about whether he ate poisonous plants, but I don't know whether that really made a difference. Once he realized he couldn't survive off the land, he tried to retrace his steps to the highway but found the river he'd easily crossed in early spring was swollen with summer melt and he had no maps/strength to explore for an alternate route out.

How is it that there are so many pictures of this guy yet no one knows his real name?
It's part of long distance trail hiking culture, people are very friendly when they meet up, but then just say 'bye' and move on, hiking at different speeds. They use trail names that are more memorable than real names. Talk is all about life on the trail, or life in general, no one cares about who someone was/will be once they go back to normal life.

I still haven’t been able to access the other posts. It is possible that he was in Norway in 2009 on a vacation. Or studying there.
It's possible that was another (Norwegian) person, who also liked the book. It appears the first trail name the unid'd victim used was Denim, then he later chose Mostly Harmless.

He could be submitted to Roush's Namus.

I did a side by side with one of the photos that are thought to be him. There are a lot of similarities but the nose doesn't look right. Could be the angle though.

p.s. I don't think Morgan resembles him much at all.

Attachments

• mostly harmless and roush.png
    mostly harmless and roush.png
    247.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
If you recall Into the Wild, Chris McCandless survived just over 3 months in Alaska, he started with a 10 lb bag of rice, and was able to shoot squirrels and such, but weighed 67 lbs when he died. There's some controversy about whether he ate poisonous plants, but I don't know whether that really made a difference. Once he realized he couldn't survive off the land, he tried to retrace his steps to the highway but found the river he'd easily crossed in early spring was swollen with summer melt and he had no maps/strength to explore for an alternate route out.

Thanks. I haven't see the programme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member